What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

5 hours ago, Lewya said:

It makes me want to see the film.

Even if you just want to see the music in context, do yourself a favor and allow this desire to remain a pleasant fantasy. 

8 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Heck, I'd take this over the Hairy Potty stuff any day

I just got flashbacks to elementary school in 2002.

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The last time I listened to this must have been years ago. Perhaps even 4 since my last full listen.

Karol

I really love the first score of the trilogy. While I think Desolation of Smaug might be the best overall, the feel of the first score is special and juggles a lot of new ideas along with the older themes in a very satisfying fashion and even added a few differences to the orchestrations of e.g. the Rivendell music which made it feel fresh. The progression from the very familiar variations of the Shire material to the largely new themes when Bilbo passes beyond the borders of his homeland is very well crafted and the dwarven musical material is quite strong and memorable along with the Misty Mountains theme. The tone of the score is also more wondrous and light-hearted compared to the next two that got progressively darker with the story and this is perhaps one reason that still makes it my favourite listening experience of the three scores as it also captures the fairy-tale mood of the children's book very well.

All the King's Men by James Horner

The Village by James Newton Howard

Maps to the Stars - Howard Shore

I am not a big fan of The Hobbit scores even if they are decent, but this on the other hand is Shore's most striking recent achievement. This is a good and an imaginative score.

5 hours ago, Lewya said:

Maps to the Stars - Howard Shore

I am not a big fan of The Hobbit scores even if they are decent, but this on the other hand is Shore's most striking recent achievement. This is a good and an imaginative score.

I didn't find the percussion and ambience of the score all that impressive. Certainly not striking.

Go back to your cartoons you young dafty!

C79wDFWV4AE-CXH.jpg

War of the Worlds by John Williams

God of War by Bear McCreary

Hour of the Gun by Jerry Goldsmith

48 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Karol

Good. Good.

The Battle of the Fives Armies by Howard Shore

Brilliant. Might be my favorite Hobbit score.

Attack of the Clones Complete Edit by John Williams

Quite good. No, very good. I love the Separatist motif, so underlying and dark, as well as mysterious. Plays its role perfectly. Anakin and Padmes love theme is good, but I never really latched on to it as much as others. Action cues like Chase Through Coruscant, On the Conveyor Belt, and The Arena are so darn good.

Jurassic World by Michael Giacchino

Pretty good. I liked Fallen Kingdom much better though, score and film.

Seven Years In Tibet by John Williams

A very nice theme that captures that Tibetan feel,  with cello solo by Yo-Yo Ma. As for the rest of the score I can't say much. 

Fallen Kingdom's score is so good, I had a bizarrely hard time convincing grandpa they didn't bring John Williams back! 

"Well, it was really nice of John Williams to use Giacchino's themes from the last movie."

"Um...? This is still Giacchino."

"What? No it isn't! The orchestrations are a LOT better this time!"

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

Fallen Kingdom's score is so good, I had a bizarrely hard time convincing grandpa they didn't bring John Williams back! 

"Well, it was really nice of John Williams to use Giacchino's themes from the last movie."

"Um...? This is still Giacchino."

"What? No it isn't! The orchestrations are a LOT better this time!"

Perhaps Drax is getting to me, but everytime you bring up your grandpa I imagine a Norman Bates type situation.

Fallen Kingdom is brilliant! Giacchino's best work in a while. His thematic material is stellar, action writing very memorable, and he's not riding Williams coat tails half the time. At Jurassic World's End Suite is the track of the year for me, as you, Kasey, have so wonderfully reminded me of. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Free might be my second favorite on the album, with that Powell-esque muted brass and hurried strings. The Wheatly March is also really good. So much great music! I don't get the same feeling with Jurassic World.

9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Perhaps Drax is getting to me, but everytime you bring up your grandpa I imagine a Norman Bates type situation.

I think I inherited my interest in film music from him, as I don't know anyone else in the family that's into that sort of thing. 

Our tastes differ greatly of course (Barry's his favorite, Goldsmith for me, I love monster movie music, he loves westerns), but we unite here and there. We both share a love for Hook, and neither of us have bothered seeing the movie!

7 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Fallen Kingdom is brilliant! Giacchino's best work in a while. His thematic material is teller, action writing very memorable, and he's not riding Williams coat tails half the time. At Jurassic World's End Suite is the track of the year for me, as you, Kasey, have so wonderfully reminded me of. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Free might be my second favorite on the album, with that Powell-esque muted brass and hurried strings. The Wheatly March is also really good. So much great music! I don't get the same feeling with Jurassic World.

AGREED! I'm shocked how much I've fallen for that score. This is otherwise the year of Powell goodness, but Fallen Kingdom is just more to my genre taste. Plus, I think FK's album is much better put together than Solo's. I didn't expect to love it much at all, as my feelings on the previous Jurassic score are merely "well, I like it better than Don Davis', and that's all I wanted!". But there's just something about FK's main theme that's continued to fascinate me. It might be my favorite theme Giacchino's composed so far. Besides that glorious ending suite, favorite cues for me are World's Worst Bedtime Storyteller, The Neo-Jurassic Age, Declaration of Indo-pendence and Operation Blue Blood.

4 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

But there's just something about FK's main theme that's continued to fascinate me. It might be my favorite theme Giacchino's composed so far.

I posted in the Fallen Kingdom score thread how similar and yet different it is to the Avengers theme.

On September 15, 2018 at 2:06 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

This segment sounds a lot like Corellia Chase, Flying with Chewie, and Train Heist. It has that Powell SW vibe. Those almost muted brass trills that come in around 2:15 are the major echoes.

Additionally, the Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom theme (which is great) holds a similar melody to the Avengers theme (at least the first bit of the JW:FK theme).

However, instead of doubling up on the first note (doo-doo da-doo doo {Avengers}) it's just a single note (doo da doo-doo).

Anyways, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is a really great score.

Here's my favourites from this year. JW:FK is climbing it!

1. Solo: A Star Wars Story by John Powell

2. Darkest Hour by Dario Marianelli

3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom by Michael Giacchino

4. Incredibles 2 by Michael Giacchino

5. Avengers: Infinity War by Alan Silvestri

Always loved the clarinet at 1:43 of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Free

And I'm compelled by how Giacchino structures the score around the theme. Throughout the first third or so of the score, he continuously hints at it in bits and snippets, like musical foreshadowing of sorts (the main titles, first part of Nostalgia-Saurus, some of Operation Blue Blood, etc). Deliberately restraining itself until the Indoraptor shows up, and that's when the theme finally is unleashed full blast! It makes that point (Thus Begins the Indo-Rapture) give such a glorious feeling of catharsis. 

I LOVE his raptor theme getting a glorious fanfare when Blue jumps in to protect Owen and Maisie from the Indoraptor. 

I LOVE the use of organ (in Indo-Rapture, Go with the Pyroclastic Flow).

And the bells in There's Something About Maisie! 

The brass throughout the entire score sounds amazing!

I love this score, dudes, I'm sorry!

The Jurassic World theme also ends up being more interesting here as a supporting theme, rather than the main theme like last time. I particularly love its mournful rendition at the end of March of the Wheatley Cavalcade. 

War for the Planet of the Apes by Michael Giacchino (56-minute playlist)

Any suggestions for a shorter playlist for Dawn? And please, no cynical answers like "An ideal playlist for that score would be 0 minutes!". :P

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

:music: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. The ballsy big orchestra version of TAS material. Probably one of the better feature Batman scores out there in all honesty.

Karol

I was just about to listen to that myself!  Been impressed by bits and pieces I have heard.

It might be the best Batman theme actually. Although it is a tough competition between this, Elfman and Goldenthal. Each one has its own strengths and weaknesses. Man, Batman music used to be good.

Karol

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its the best Batman theme.

Musically, it peters out quickly without a proper conclusion--it has a super short bridging figure then has to go back to the top. But as a melodic encapsulation of Batman, it's simply perfect.