What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

22 minutes ago, Romão said:

I actually the best Batman theme is the Elfman theme as orchestrated by Walker for the Main and End Titles of the animated series

I think he was actually the one responsible for those arrangements, unless there's a crediting nuance explained in the La La Land booklets that I'm unaware of.

30 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, it is Gothic... but also very heroic...and yet brooding...with a sprinkle of tragedy in it. Not bad for such a simple theme.

Karol

All of which define the Dark Knight, of course...I truly marvel at how she was able to embody all of that within her theme. Elfman's and Goldenthal's themes are great and versatile in their own ways, of course...bottom line, Batman's had some real heavy hitters take it on.

Her Superman theme is pretty slick, too, a great "television" sounding theme.

42 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, it is Gothic... but also very heroic...and yet brooding...with a sprinkle of tragedy in it. Not bad for such a simple theme.

Karol

What does it take for music to qualify as "gothic"?

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What does it take for music to qualify as "gothic"?

Certain dark grandiosity, often accompanied with organ. All those cliches. 

Karol

selections from Presumed Innocent by John Williams

Solid stuff.  Thematically strong.  Different from his usual output, which makes it interesting, yet unmistakably in his voice.

The Terminal by John Williams

Really like this one.  Pleasant and engaging.  Great clarinet work, of course.  Like how it gets kind of sweeping at times, heartfelt, too.  I sense John had a rather good time writing this one.

Batman: The Mask of the Phantasm by Shirley Walker

I really dig this one.  I kind of wish it were longer, more fully developed, but the atmospheres Walker created here are quite excellent.  Love the main theme, really like the romantic material.  Cues have pretty decent structural integrity, too.  The most pleasure I've had from a Batman score.

selections from The Spirit of St. Louis by Franz Waxman

Several years ago, when I was a kid, I watched the whole movie and loved it.  A couple of days back I caught the ending on TV, and really was impressed anew with Stewart's performance, the editing, and the glorious score.  Listened to the Berlin Radio Symphony recording with narration (hit and miss, that part).  Such beautiful writing.  Elegant romanticism.  Full marks. 

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

selections from The Spirit of St. Louis by Franz Waxman

Several years ago, when I was a kid, I watched the whole movie and loved it.  A couple of days back I caught the ending on TV, and really was impressed anew with Stewart's performance, the editing, and the glorious score.  Listened to the Berlin Radio Symphony recording with narration (hit and miss, that part).  Such beautiful writing.  Elegant romanticism.  Full marks. 

There is a plaintive cue with the theme on solo trumpet when Lindbergh first takes-off that is a blueprint for dozens of later film musical evocations of flight. Waxman often was a few years ahead of his peers, especially in the 50's.

:music: Ruin and Memory by Howard Shore while walking to work. As the autumn is in full swing I decided to go with one of the gentlest works of this composer. A lovely tribute to Romanticism and Chopin especially. It's interesting how Shore's film work is filled with angst and darkness yet his concert works are pure tranquility. Maybe that says something? I don't know. Lovely music.

Karol

It made its films almost likeable. Almost. Jimmy did a good job on this one.

:music: The Rendezvous. Think it might be Wintory's finest work actually. You don't hear thriller scores like this every day. In fact it might be one of the finest scores of this decade.

Karol

Phantom Menace (2018 demaster)

If you can look past some wonky edits and a ton of fantastic material missing (but to be fair, this score is 90% highlights and 10% filler), it's a great little presentation of a great score. I'm not that enamored with Duel of the Fates in its concert setting (give me The Great Dual any day!), or with Anakin's theme, but this relies much more on setpiece-specific settings, motifs and fanfares than too much theme repetition.

Attack of the Clones (2018 demaster)

As much as I'm not a fan of the score and dislike Across the Stars, this is a very admirable and likeable assembly. Not as heavy on AtS, mostly selecting the better renditions (Meadow Picnic!), and leaves the dreadfully dull, repetitive and undeveloped Separatist motif out entirely! The Arena is an event, and it really feels like the album has been building up to it (while Phantom Menace is a bit more all over the place), and the finale manages to top it.

Revenge of the Sith (2018 demaster)

Not only is the score itself a bit fragmented and falling apart (as far as I can remember from listening to complete film edit recreations years ago - all the obnoxiously incompetently edited Arena tracking is the most consistent point), this presentation is messy. Apart from the last 4 tracks gelling together extremely well, there's no real throughline or building, everything is everywhere.

This is the first one today where some edits and takes REALLY bothered me. Right in the first track, the original opening completely ruins the mood and takes all the weight of the Force theme away with the Good Guys Arrive motif and the little flourishes instead of the war drums. Then after the opeing, instead of presenting the whole Battle piece full of fun bits, it cuts to the least interesting segment which is just some orchestra supporting the wardrums, then cuts away to The Elevator Scene's moody string tension instead of the fun Star Wars-y landing. I destroyed my left heel and shin recreating the sorely missing percussion in Enter Lord Vader by stomping on the floor.

Oh, and of course 10 minutes of album time occupied by Leia's Theme and Throne Room variations is always nice, it's not like I could take The Skywalker Symphony out at any second and put that in to listen to the same.

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

@Holko, what's your opinion on the quality of the "demaster" edits?

Quality in which area?

Sound quality? That's mostly good. I don't hear much hiss in AotC, STAR WARS is not as punchy as I'm used to and select tracks of Empire are a fucking travesty that we as a species should collectively be ashamed of being able to produce.

Mixing and take selection? Phantom Menace is the worst at it with the alternate DotF take and whatever was done to Augie. Not having the wardrums in Enter Lord Vader was JW's shroom-influenced decision in 2005.

Edit recreation? These sets are pretty much my first ever listen to the OSTs, so half the time I have no idea if the new recreation sucks or some of JWs ideas were already stillborn 19 or so years ago (Arrival at Coruscant transition in the first track of TPM, or the whole track The Droid Invasion and the Appearance of Darth Maul, transition form The Arena to Padmé Falls, Main Title and The Revenge of the Sith...)

Overall I can live with them. We're not likely to get any better or worse editions anywhere in the foreseeable future.

Also, just to amend my RotS post: I'm bloody tired of the TPM Main Title recording. I've already grown to hate it playing many videogames years ago, which all used it.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Overall I can live with them. We're not likely to get any better or worse editions anywhere in the foreseeable future.

They'll have to learn to live without me, though. I pre-ordered the OT demasters, then canceled TESB when I read about the bad remastering (bad sound quality, edits, and balance), but I should have canceled the other two as well. Off to eBay with them!

Elfman double bill tonight: The Wolfman and Sleepy Hollow. Tis is as good as his film music gets.

Speaking of the former I've found a clip from an interview in which Elfman discusses the Kilar influence:

Speaking of the European (and going back a film), it feels like there are hints of Wojciech Kilar’s score for Bram Stoker’s Dracula in your Wolfman score.

Oh yeah. It’s is one of my favorite scores, so I won’t even deny that he was an influence there. You know I tried to – as I do with Bernard Herrman when he’s an influence – I try not to mock or steal, but I won’t deny that frequently there’s an influence of Herrman, or Rota. This is more unusual in that rarely is there a living composer [that’s the influence]. Dracula… There are a few scores here and there where I’m jealous that I didn’t do it, and I hear the score, and I go “No, this kicks my ass,” and that was just one of those.

That Dracula score is a beautiful score

It’s a great score, and it’s one of my favorites. It was one of those moments where I went in there all seething like “I wish I would have gotten this gig!” Then I saw the movie and heard the score, and I said “Uh… no. I just received a whuppin’.”

Karol

Daniel Hart - The Old Man & The Gun

This will undoubtedly be among my favorite soundtracks of the year.  Fun throwback to the jazz scores of composers like Kenyon Hopkins, Johnny Mandel, et al.

VSD00021_grande.jpg?v=1535067411

3 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I'm listening.....

I don't mean it sounds exactly like Hopkins, just of that era when crime movies always had a cool west coast jazz type sound.  Smooth strings with brushed drums overdubbed, that kinda thing.  I like it!

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't mean it sounds exactly like Hopkins, just of that era when crime movies always had a cool west coast jazz type sound.  Smooth strings with brushed drums overdubbed, that kinda thing.  I like it!

Oh I know whachu mean. I daydream about getting that kind of job someday! 

On the subject of throwback scores, have you listened to Marvin Hamlisch's The Informant that came out about ten years back?

Ratatouille by Michael Giacchino

Hook by John Williams

I think this is in the process of becoming my all-time favorite John Williams score. And I haven't seen the movie, nor do I ever want to. I'd rather the music tell me the story. 

I'm not sure this is necessarily ranking this one above all others, more a case of if my cat was being held hostage and she'll be forced to eat hamburger (she hates beef for whatever reason) if I don't pick one John Williams score. In the panic, I'll likely choose Hook. "Why that one?" the thieves will ask in confusion. "It's got everything!" I'll declare enthusiastically. "It's got heartfelt sweet stuff! It's got breathtaking action! It's all just so beautifully sincere! I took off that annoying I Don't Wanna Grow Up thing, and Banning Back Home just sounds weird since none of the rest of the score sounds like that, but neither of those take away from what a great well-rounded package this score is in terms of emotional variety." And then I take my kitty home to eat chicken.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

And I haven't seen the movie, nor do I ever want to.

Don't 

The best parts of it are the Pan-Am ad, and Phil Collins.  

I exaggerate, of course.  Still, not recommended.

Score is magnificent, to be sure.

25 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

On the subject of throwback scores, have you listened to Marvin Hamlisch's The Informant that came out about ten years back?

I saw the movie in theaters and liked it, but I must admit I remember nothing about the score.  I certainly didn't remember that it was Hamlisch.  I bet it was a fitting coda to a legendary career, much like Far From Heaven for Elmer.

71 minutes of OST goodness is enough for me. It flows perfectly. If a reissue of any kind of the LLL album happens, I'm up for it as I'm sure there's at least a couple highlights to be salvaged. But as is, I'm more than satisfied with what I have.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

The film version insert that isn't on the OST album or the LLL album makes the cue even better!

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Did you spot that the Pan-Am captain's voice, is Hoffman?

Nope.  Cool.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

71 minutes of OST goodness is enough for me. It flows perfectly. If a reissue of any kind of the LLL album happens, I'm up for it as I'm sure there's at least a couple highlights to be salvaged. But as is, I'm more than satisfied with what I have.

Ever listen to The Symphonic Suite in Five Movements?  Nice general presentation there.

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Daniel Hart - The Old Man & The Gun

This will undoubtedly be among my favorite soundtracks of the year.  Fun throwback to the jazz scores of composers like Kenyon Hopkins, Johnny Mandel, et al.

VSD00021_grande.jpg?v=1535067411

Hart is great. Hope to see him branch out beyond Lowery films one day. 

I like Hart. Talented fella.

What's the new Gordon score for the year? Haven't heard much from him in a while.

17 minutes ago, KK said:

I like Hart. Talented fella.

What's the new Gordon score for the year? Haven't heard much from him in a while.

According to the ever-knowledgeable IMDB Christopher Gordon is doing Ladies in Black this year, a comedy drama about the lives of a group of department store employees in 1959 Sydney. Doesn't really scream instant film score classic that one.

Red Sparrow - James Newton Howard

The opening is quite nice and I guess it is one of the brightest film music moments of the year (which doesn't say much as all given the weak year), but most of the rest passes by without any of it having any effect on me, I just find the underscore nondescript and dull. 

Dragonslayer by Alex North: Based on this first listen, the film must have been some kind of strange comedy. North is so hit-or-miss with me and this is definitely a miss. I just can't hear the story here, just a collection of individual tracks of avant garde variety. I guess I simply don't just get it.