What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

28 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I don't think there are any other JW/SS scores higher on my priority list. Other than maybe updated Hook and Indy. 

Karoo

Pardon my ignorance, what needs to be updated on hook? 

16 minutes ago, D_nev said:

Pardon my ignorance, what needs to be updated on hook? 

It's not complete, it's not chronological, they use multiple sources some of which are taken from film stems. Which means inferior quality and film edita/loops being retained. It just won't do. There are far better fan edits out there.

Karol

12 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's not complete, it's not chronological, they use multiple sources some of which are taken from film stems. Which means inferior quality and film edita/loops being retained. It just won't do. There are far better fan edits out there.

Karol

That’s makes sense! Thanks!  

I guess I don’t have an ear for that type of stuff. I have the LLL expanded release and didn’t really notice anything. Though, I’ve never heard any other versions (other than the original OST) so I didn’t have much to compare to!

I'm sure there were a lot of people who liked it. But in the heyday of film music expansions this particular set felt bit, shall we say, half-arsed. Mike Matessino didn't out this one together and when asked about it...he offered his "no comment". And that he'd like to redo that.

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'm sure there were a lot of people who liked it. But in the heyday of film music expansions this particular set felt bit, shall we say, half-arsed. Mike Matessino didn't out this one together and when asked about it...he offered his "no comment". And that he'd like to redo that.

Karol

Well, I’d certainly purchase an updated version if it ever came out!

I am someone who enjoys the current set as well though so I personally have no problem waiting. 

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

"Minority Report and The War of the Worlds" sounds like a Williams track title.

Sounds more like Horner track to me. ;)

Karol

:music: Balto and The Pagemaster by Jimmy Horner. Love both of those. He might have been a serious drama auteur in his own mind but those kiddie films are the best thing he ever did.

Karol

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

Well I certainly wouldn't mind expansions of those two. But I think there are some priorities before those among the JW/Spielberg collaborations.

Excluding Indiana Jones, the only priority over these two would be Amistad.

34 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Oh I would love to have Amistad.

Karol

21 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It is THE holy grail!

19 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I think there might be quite a bit missing from the original album.

Karol

This might be one of the most stereotypical film score fan forum posts I've ever seen.

1 minute ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

This might be one of the most stereotypical film score fan forum posts I've ever seen.

Writing that you get a boner from certain film scores is not any better, just because it's unusual.:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

It's a vintage style.

Karol

2 minutes ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

It was an in-joke, you bloke!

You never know. After all, we're on JWFan!:john:

"Bloke", what a lovely word! From now on this will be part of my vocabulary.

Well, the narrated score tells everything better than the movie.

This 32 minutes narrated Suite (McCourt is the author) is also very good:

p_tanglewood75.jpg

Music from Angela's Ashes (2000) (2012, BSO Classics, Digital Release; McCourt, Boston Pops O/Williams)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams; Narrated by Frank McCourt.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Some day, I swear I will watch that film.

You definitely should! I personally enjoy it! It may not be for everyone though! 

I accidentally bought the American release of this score and it has all the narrations on it so I had to buy the European release so I didnt have to listen to Frank McCourt talk every time I listened to the score.  

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well, the narrated score tells everything better than in the movie.

This 32 minutes narrated Suite (McCourt is the author) is also very good:

p_tanglewood75.jpg

Music from Angela's Ashes (2000) (2012, BSO Classics, Digital Release; McCourt, Boston Pops O/Williams)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams; Narrated by Frank McCourt.

I quite enjoy that as well! 

:music: Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Last Jedi expanded edits. I don't know what people are talking about when complaining about those. Sure, it's not exactly groundbreaking stuff but I'd say for a 7th and 8th films in the series Williams has shown some stamina and managed to keep the galaxy far away quite fresh. To write two 3-hour scores with this much going on, and in mid-80's, must be quite an undertaking. Not sure what he's taking but I want some. ;) The prequels might have been more interesting in terms of evolution of Williams' style but the new score scores have way more emotion. In context of creating a grand space opera, it actually might be more important. Star Wars needs this over the top Golen Age-like orchestral melodrama. I absolutely cannot wait for the conclusion!

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

:music: Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Last Jedi expanded edits. I don't know what people are talking about when complaining about those. Sure, it's not exactly groundbreaking stuff but I'd say for a 7th and 8th films in the series Williams has shown some stamina and managed to keep the galaxy far away quite fresh. To write two 3-hour scores with this much going on, and in mid-80's, must be quite an undertaking. Not sure what he's taking but I want some. ;) The prequels might have been more interesting in terms of evolution of Williams' style but the new score scores have way more emotion. In context of creating a grand space opera, it actually might be more important. Star Wars needs this over the top Golen Age-like orchestral melodrama. I absolutely cannot wait for the conclusion!

Karol

Well said! I totally agree with you! 

Those were just Hondas in bespoke suits.  

46 minutes ago, Faleel J.M. said:

James Horner:

Land Before Time

Wolf Totem

Two magnificent works.