What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

26 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Saving Mr. Banks by Thomas Newman

Finding Dory by Thomas Newman

Spectre by Thomas Newman

Are you picking up on the theme?

Three times "by"

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Egyptian by Bernard Herrmann and Alfred Newman. Now I have both the La-La Land edition (itself an upgrade over the Varese) as well as the Stromberg/Naxos re-recording. The latter arrived in the post today. It's quite a wonderful album and probably the best one for casual listener. Shame it's not the complete score but the 72-minute selection is more than a healthy dose. But, then I do have the other album which sounds just fine (and looks gorgeous too!). Thanks @Romão for the recommendation! The score itself is great. It's especially interesting to hear Herrmann adapt his own distinctive style to the requirements of the genre and Newman's material (as the latter set the tone for the score and developed main thematic material). It's probably some of the lushest and most lyrical music in Benny's his career. It's also amazing how cohesive the entire work feels. It's really odd because it's sometimes hard to tell who did what... the two composers with distinctive styles decided to share certain elements and the results are quite impressive --- that sweet spot somewhere between the lushness and romanticism of Newman's Golden Age splendour and Herrmann's hypnotising moods and textures that penetrate deep into the fabric of the story. :)

It's hard to believe that Herrmann wrote this:

Karol

That track is absolutely terrific

The Predator by Henry Jackman (and four other guys). It is actually a very solid sequel. What makes it a cut above Debney (and the second one too, to be honest) is that it doesn't rehash the material verbatim and instead uses the Silvestri sound as basis for more original take...sort of like Jackman's own Jumanji. So it sounds like Silvestri...and it doesn't. Great art it ain't but certainly an entertaining 55 minutes nonetheless.

:music: Fahrenheit 451 by Bernard Herrmann. Such a wonderful score. 

Karol

Bless the Child by Christopher Young

An American Tail: Fievel Goes West by James Horner

The Boy Who Could Fly by Bruce Broughton

The Rocketeer by James Horner

Rudy by Jerry Goldsmith

The last week of December was mostly filled with Home Alone - I like the score, liked the bonuses, the OST is not bad at all, and I reall appreciate gathering all the other needledrop music, once half of it was already included via the OST. Probably my favourite pieces on the set right now are the O Holy Night alternate finale and the Star of Betlehem orchestral piece.

The HP set I already wrote about in its threads.

Conan rerecording: how the hell did ti take me so long to find and try this score? It seems handcrafted perfectly for me! Sweeping, memorable melodies, big, weighty choir, some lovely lyrical segments, powerhouse action, some more ancient (or just medieval)-sounding cues, lovely exotic and unusual instrument usage (cimbalom!!!) all forming a very distinctive union. Lovely for listening, the music's not too reactive, choppy or such, and when it is it all makes sense musically. Wheel of Pain is a purposefully round-and-round repetitive piece, making you bang your head shouting "HELL YEAH" when the triumphant fanfare comes up as Arnie lifts his head, but it's perhaps equally as satisfying as it falls back into the Wheel melody perfectly naturally. Throw out Wolf Witch - maybe even Orgy Fight, perhaps Head Chop - , ignore everything after Orphans of Doom / the Awakening, and you have yourself a near-perfect listenable concept album.

Star Trek: Into Darkness by Michael Giacchino

Giacchino's Star Trek scores are all amazing, and this one is no exception. It's a shame we likely won't get a fourth one (as I hear the next film's been cancelled) but we're still incredibly fortunate to have three of these fantastic albums.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by John Williams

Unbreakable by James Newton Howard

I Am Legend by James Newton Howard

The Great Train Robbery by Jerry Goldsmith

VICE by Nicholas Brittel

Groovy fun and a pinch of some very classically-oriented string pieces. Splendid listening experience.

Schindler's List by John Williams

-sob- Beautiful.

33 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The Great Train Robbery by Jerry Goldsmith

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's quite disappointing, isn't it?

What are you talking about?

4 hours ago, Zanobard said:

Star Trek: Into Darkness by Michael Giacchino

Giacchino's Star Trek scores are all amazing, and this one is no exception. It's a shame we likely won't get a fourth one (as I hear the next film's been cancelled) but we're still incredibly fortunate to have three of these fantastic albums.

Speaking of not making any sense...

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's quite disappointing, isn't it?

No the Great Train Robbery as the name implies is great!

Fair enough, musical enjoyment is a fairly subjective thing after all.

I personally enjoy most of Giacchino's music, and I do also feel that his Star Trek scores fit rather well with the films - though you could definitely argue that the films themselves are quite un-Trek, especially compared to the previous entries to the franchise.