What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

L.A. Noire by Andrew Hale & Simon Hale

L.A. Confidential by Jerry Goldsmith

From Hell by Trevor Jones

On 8/8/2019 at 5:40 AM, Incanus said:

Star Wars The Force Awakens by John Williams: I really love this score. Such bright energetic music with great themes, none greater than Daisy's...sorry I mean Rey's theme.

Nixon by John Williams: One of Williams' deftest psychological portraits in music. This is dark brooding and anguished with little rays of musical light amidst the sea of shadows but ultimately always melodic even at its darkest and rounds out Williams' "Stone trilogy" with marvellous varied Americana writing. While the album is a quite well-rounded listening experience an expanded version of this would be most welcome since some of the more delicate emotional moments (presaging the style and content of the composer's future scores of 2000's) are missing from the album.

Ever since 1999, when I listen to The Turbulent Years, I keep expecting to hear Kor-ah, Mah-tah, Kor-ah, Rah-tah-mah.

😉

Yesterday I had a James Horner day: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Krull and The Rocketeer.

Today it was a non-film Danny Elfman day: Serenada Schizophrana, Rabbit & Rogue, Iris and Eleven Eleven.

Karol

18 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yesterday I had a James Horner day: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Krull and The Rocketeer.

Today it was a non-film Danny Elfman day: Serenada Schizophrana, Rabbit & Rogue, Iris and Eleven Eleven.

Karol

Have you written about your thoughts on Eleven Eleven? 

War of the Worlds by John Williams

Dracula by John Williams

On 8/11/2019 at 5:37 PM, Nick Parker said:

Have you written about your thoughts on Eleven Eleven? 

It's probably the most "proper" concert music out of all his serious works. It might be slightly on the long side and stylistically shift into a slightly less accessible realm. But I like it, it's the kind of composer I was hoping Elfman would become in his later years. I want more of this. :)

Karol

Nim's Island -- Patrick Doyle

More relaxed and playful than, say, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, it's something I could listen to in the background while working. The main theme is beautiful with a touch of whimsy. Honestly, there's a bit of mickey mousing here but it's well-written and orchestrated like "Lizard Attack."

The score sounds bigger than it actually is, big props to Doyle's orchestration team.

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Agony and the Ecstasy. Definitely one of my favourite scores of all time. The combination of Alex North modernism with Renaissance influences is just irresistible. 

Note how Goldsmith cheekily borrowed the bridge of the creation theme for his own god theme in Star Trek V.

The Twelve Choruses by Miklos Rozsa

Presumed Innocent by John Williams

Black Sunday by John Williams

Urban Elmer is always worth a listen, especially from his peak years. It's a mixture of humid jazz, uber-swooning strings and darker mix versions of these for this splendid Vincente Minnelli drama featuring a really good Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin (really!) as well as Shirley MacLaine.

I was in a mood for more North (as conducted by Goldsmith) this afternoon: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Viva Zapata! People may moan about those discs but I rather enjoy them all.

Karol

I like the score for SABRINA, very much, but, imo, there's something sickening about a film that costs almost one hundred million dollars, with a message that says - in effect - "money doesn't matter". I don't hate the film; it just makes me feel very uncomfortable, every time that I think about it.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (OST) by John Williams

The prequel OSTs continue to prove interesting in terms of the music they display and the way that it's compiled. The Main Title is cut off near the end by the exuberant Boys Into Battle cue, and while the transition isn't the most graceful, it's probably a lot easier than trying to fade it into the quieting strings (believe me, I've tried to do it!). Of course, while Attack of the Clones offered the most diverse musical palette in the saga, Revenge of the Sith has a number of uncharacteristic fancies that also set it apart. This is evident in the deft beauty of Anakin's Dream, especially the violin solo in the first minute (insert heart eyes emoticon). Battle of the Heroes and Anakin vs. Obi-Wan provide coverage for the sprawling action setpiece of the third act- the climactic lightsaber duel. It's not quite on the level of some other cues in this film, but I feel it's serves its purpose just fine. When listening in "complete form" it can get kind of repetitive though. Anakin's Betrayal is a two-part deal, opening with the lament for Order 66 and closing with a segment from the Orff reminiscent It Can't Be cue. Palpatine's Teachings is another peculiarity, throwing a line forward to the Snoke material from The Force Awakens and providing grounded support for a number of fan theories. I quite liked Grievous' theme when I first heard it, but now perhaps I think it's a little too much. I mean I love to hear the choir just go for it, but in terms of how it suits the character it might be a little overkill. The Immolation Scene continues the sorrowful adagio for strings idiom that seems to be something of a distinct attribute of Revenge of the Sith. The Birth of the Twins and Padme's Destiny always had a mysterious feeling to it, and the funeral procession closes the track quite nicely. Can't say I approve of the Throne Room in the End Credits, which is otherwise just a platform for Princess Leia's theme and more Battle of the Heroes.

Attack of the Clones may very well boast the best album presentation of the Star Wars saga, but Revenge of the Sith isn't too far off. There are a few brief moments whose omittance is unfortunate (I'm thinking Arrival on Utapau and Droids, Swimming, Yoda Farewell), and perhaps some editing decisions could have been better, but this OST passes as sufficient in my books.

Somewhere In Time by John Barry

Quintessential and wholesome John Barry goodness. Trademark flute solos and elegant string passages.

Planet of the Apes by Jerry Goldsmith ('97 Varese)

Quirky and yet still groovy and fun! Curious instrumentation. A classic.

Concert suites from Return of the Jedi by John Williams

An American Tail by James Horner

Intrada's release, as expressed in the past, marks the end of an era for Severin. The final time yours truly gave a hoot about expansions. I can confirm coming back to this release today that was indeed quite worth the wait. 

NOW IF THOSE GUYS WANT TO RELEASE CHILD'S PLAY 2, THAT'D BE JUST GRAND. THEN I CAN MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE. 

I'd still be happy to delve into that should they release that one complete, but Fievel Goes West's OST is just fine and way better put together than the original's (not to mention has the better songs).