What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

15 hours ago, crocodile said:

The ominous "M" day:

Midsommar

Minority Report

Mulholland Drive

Karol

Dial M for Murder? ;) 

On 10/25/2019 at 2:01 PM, publicist said:

image.png

A Hidden Life - JNH

Malick films are one thing, the scores a very different matter. I quite like some aspects of Hanan Townshend's scores, 'To the Wonder' in particular, the Morricone, Zimmer, Desplat and Horner scores all belong to their respective years' best in music written for films, and JNH makes no exception. More a tone poem, or to make it sound less pompous, a collection of the composers' own musical reflections on Malick's cerebral topics.

In that respect it's not surprising that you can clearly hear the fingerprints of each composer (though less pronounced in Zimmer's team effort) very clearly. In JNH's case a continuation of his reflective side, a more concerto-like setting of motivic and coloristic ideas from 'The Village' and 'Snow Falling on Cedars' and, barring the more typical clichés of narrative film music (the swells, the suspense and so on), it's clearly one of his very best (your mile may vary, as many fans of this will bemoan their absence). 

Easy to digest as it is (branched in recent minimalist trends of i. e. Richter, though ironically sounding less arbitrary), the effect is very soothing yet it doesn't feel trivial. It's not making a claim for a big epic, but the little brushstrokes here go a rather long way, and, to my never-ending delight, it's rather short in Fox's award selection. For a Best-of 2019 list, it qualifies easily.

It's lovely. But by-and-large it's probably the least substantial of the Malick scores (barring the Townshend efforts), which all explored their sonic realms with more ambition and vigour. This whole thing hinges on this one all-too-brief idea, while the rest relies on familiar film music clichés. In that sense, it pales in comparison to the likes of Snow Falling On Cedars. It's nice, but safe. Perhaps the OST will offer more for its case.

35 minutes ago, KK said:

...pales in comparison to the likes of Snow Falling On Cedars.

I've not heard A HIDDEN LIFE, but SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS is a f***ing brilliant score, from a criminally underrated film. SFOC is up there with The very best, of JNH's very best. I can't rate score or film, too highly.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've not heard A HIDDEN LIFE, but SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS is a f***ing brilliant score, from a criminally underrated film. SFOC is up there with The very best, of JNH's very best. I can't rate score or film, too highly.

Every word on the score here is 100% accurate.

Saw the film a long time ago. Don't remember much about it. I recall being fond of the book as a kid though.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Alexandre Desplat

Listened to both of Desplat's score for the 2-part finale... and the difference in both is pretty significant. Part 1 remains beautiful and intricate with all the different motifs Desplat weaves... and the emotional core is strong (especially "The Oblivation", Farewell to Dobby" and "Ron Leaves"). It's more of a typical Desplat score with precise orchestration, particularly the woodwind and percussion lines, with the action cues paying homage to Williams' modern action style. I really think this score gets overlooked by Desplat fans (as well as HP fans in general).

Part 2 loses a lot of the intricacies and feels a bit rushed. However, that emotional core is much stronger, and he does carry over several of his own motifs from Part 1. Cues like "Lily's Theme", "Harry's Sacrifice", "The Resurrection Stone", "Harry Surrenders" and "A New Beginning" give the score the kind of gravity it deserved -- and outside of Williams coming back to score Part 2 -- Desplat was the one that gave the franchise the musical closure it needed.

I still prefer Part 1 due to the magical tapestry Desplat wove.

Flowers in the Attic by Christopher Young

Child's Play 2 by Shirley Walker 

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom by Michael Giacchino

Hellraiser by Christopher Young

The Fury by John Williams

Slither by Brian Tyler

Eight Legged Freaks by John Ottman

Deep Blue Sea by Trevor Rabin

To Kill a Mockingbird (Royal Scottish National Orchestra, conducted by the composer) by Elmer Bernstein.

One of my favorite scores ever, and I love this recording.
It's so good that, when the End Title track finishes, I immediately play the album again, from start to finish.
It makes me feel good, even if I'm having a bad day. 

A.I. (Expanded LLL release) by John Williams.

I had never listened to the soundtrack by itself, but I remembered it well from my views of the movie.
This score is so sad it makes my insides ache. I'm not sure it's something I'll be listening to multiple times,

but it's still JW at its best. I had forgotten the Hide and Seek motif, and I somewhat fell in love with it.  
Now it's been stuck in my head for the past couple of days.

22 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I love Snow Falling on Cedars too. Until this day, "Can I Hold You Now?" is one of my favorite tracks he ever composed.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Can he hold her?

You'll have to watch the film, to find out.

1 hour ago, Loert said:

One of the best openings in all of film music!

Excellent. No other word for it. Film music at its very, very best.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

And Tadlow soon comes with a rerecording of the complete score!

And news on that? They're well past their their projected Kickstarter delivery date - which isn't at all unusual or unexpected, but I wonder if they've communicated an actual planned release date somewhere?

Treasure Planet (complete) - JNH

Resultado de imagem para treasure planet

Of the trilogy of JNH scores for forgotten Disney flicks, this always used to be my least favorite. But I was just being silly, this score is great! 

He described the score as being in the tradition of Korngold and Tiomkin, but this is more a mix of his own style for adventure movies from that era (Waterworld, Vertical Limit, Atlantis, Dinosaur...) with some cool guitar riffs on the main theme and some touching celtic music, courtesy of Alasdair Fraser's fiddle solos, performing a very emotional theme for the main character, teenager Jim, and his relantionship with Long John Silver.

The main theme is fun and entertaining, and the action music is great for JNH fans. Sure, there's a lot of mickeymousing (it's a Disney movie after all), but this is a score I think I'll return very often.

4/5

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And news on that? They're well past their their projected Kickstarter delivery date - which isn't at all unusual or unexpected, but I wonder if they've communicated an actual planned release date somewhere?

I read somewhere that it's delayed due to Fitzpatrick's health issues.

29 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I read somewhere that it's delayed due to Fitzpatrick's health issues.

Yes I think  he informed of the delay relating to his health issues a good while back on the Kickstarter project page. This is what he wrote 6 months ago:

Just to let everyone know, the new KING OF KINGS recording with The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir is a wee bit delayed.

I apologise for this, but as many might know I have been very ill the past few months with a debilitating mental disorder which leaves me at times unable to function for days at a time while at other times stress free!

Anyway, the new recording is all edited and mixed...with mixes approved by the likes of Frank De Wald and Leigh Phillips on the production team. So now I hope to get onto the sleeve notes, artwork etc. Sorry for the delay but I just haven't been functioning as my usual self for a while ...

All the best

James

James Horner was the patron saint of this score: not only did he score 'Balto', the story 'The Great Alaskan Race' is based on, but his later work (ca. 'Wolf Totem', 'Living in the Age of Airplanes') very much informs the writing style of John Koutselinis here. It's not exactly groundbreaking, all the sturm and drang has been done before and better, but for this season it's just about right and a surprising look back to a style all but substituted by chords and drones. Horner fans may want to give this one a listen.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (LLL) – John Williams

It's that time of the year again. What can I say. Perfect.
Such great atmospheres and textures.
Makes me want to take a stroll down to Hagrid's Hut for a cuppa.

(that's actually me in Glencoe, Scotland, where they shot those scenes in HP3: best day ever)

Schermata 2019-10-29 alle 12.25.56.png

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Horse of War by Eddie Karam ;)

Karol

War Horse by John Williams was just too difficult to write, right. ;) 

16 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Of the trilogy of JNH scores for forgotten Disney flicks, this always used to be my least favorite. But I was just being silly, this score is great! 

It's my favourite of the three, mainly for the Long John Silver music.

22194261355_c2bac655eb_c.jpg

13 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yes I think  he informed of the delay relating to his health issues a good while back on the Kickstarter project page. This is what he wrote 6 months ago:

Now that you mention it, I remember reading something about health issues a while back, but I didn't have any more details. Doesn't sound good, I hope he's doing better.

The Shawshank Redemption (LLL) – Thomas Newman

I'm a huge Tom Newman fanboy, and this is the score that made me fell in love with him. Platonically speaking, of course.
He may not have JW's clever orchestrations and flourishing counterpoints, but if JW's my favorite soundtrack composer, 
good ol' Thomas comes right after him. I have a soft spot for his dissonant, weird, modal interchange-y, sort of grunge chords progressions.

Speaking of Shawshank, am I the only one hearing a hissing, high-passed rhythmic noise in the left channel on the tracks Rock Hammer and Letters/Taxes?
It's mind-boggling, I have no idea what it is but it's in the OST as well. I've always found it very distracting: it sounds like a badly tuned radio catching two frequencies at once.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Philosopher's Stone (LLL) — John Williams

What else can be said? This score is massive.
Loved the OST (first soundtrack album I bought), hated it for the missing cues.
Waited for this complete presentation since 2001, and it keeps getting gorgeous every time I listen to it.
The Children's Suite is like a hot cup of cocoa on a rainy Sunday afternoon. 

Jurassic Park (LLL) – John Williams

Another soundtrack I can't get tired of. Journey to the Island is in my opinion one of the best examples of score/underscore I've ever heard.
Wasn't a big fan of the Carnivore Motif-driven second half of the tracklist, but it grew on me.
It really is Johnny at his best. Sounds so aggressive and unhinged, I love it.
Plus, I was recently listening to Bernstein's To Kill a Mockingbird and I think I found the Carnivore Motif's older brother.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

THE RUSSIA HOUSE

It takes a competent thriller, and elevates it to something special.

It is one of the sexiest collections of music, ever recorded. Period.

And curiously a very lengthy original album from ol' Jerrald who preferred his 35 minute listening experiences. But yeah fantastic music.