What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

35 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's really good if slightly overindulgent in terms of length. The first movement itself is almost as long as some other concertos!

Karol

Hey when he got to write a concerto for once, Elfman wanted to dwell on this stuff for a long time. In case he wasn't invited to write one again. ;) 

:music: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. My opinion on the score has changed so much since the release of the LLL box set. Yes, it is not the most original work in Williams' career and it does share more than passing resemblence to his 1989-1992 era (with a bit of 1999) but it flows so well as a complete work and manages to conjure an entire world in my head as I'm listening.

Karol

Solo: A Star Wars Story by John Powell (theme by John Williams)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi by John Williams

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And some of the underscore, apparently.

Oh yeah that was the rumor going about. Do we have any confirmation on this?

Star Wars: The Force Awakens by John Williams

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And some of the underscore, apparently.

I bet there are only 30-second bits here  and there and only variations on his theme.

Just now, Incanus said:

Oh yeah that was the rumor going about. Do we have any confirmation on this?

Yes, John Powell mentioned it in several interviews. 

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I bet there are only 30-second bits here  and there and only variations on his theme.

Yes, John Powell mentioned it in several interviews. 

Karol

OK now we need to get a complete score of the JW scored bits!

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

OK now we need to get a complete score of the JW scored bits!

It is mentioned here.

“And then when he felt confident that everyone was happy, we gave him a bit of time and he took that theme and he came up with some more complete versions for the orchestra.” Williams’ contributions of about half a dozen short pieces for the film helped set the tone and create the foundation for the overall score. “Once John had written his stuff, it all made a lot more sense and I really felt like we’d figured out the puzzle,” Powell says. “The searching theme, which I ended up using in the opening titles, was just a one and a half or two-minute suite that he did. So with all of this done, I programmed all of this material into the sequencer, because that’s how I write and we not only used that where it worked but I also took the themes and I developed them in different ways for other sections that he hadn’t scored….They’re woven in and out of the fabric of the whole score.”

He also said elsewhere that everything Williams wrote is in the film. I'm pretty sure several statements of Han's theme on the album are Williams (like the big statement in Flying with Chewie etc.) and, as I said above, I bet they were only brief sketches which Powell skillfully incorporated into his own cues.

He also said there are moments in the score that Williams wrote that don't sound like him. Whatever that means...maybe because of the arrangements?

Karol

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Where are those guys that rip music from the Blu Rays?

This score is probably even harder to rip properly than average, it's mixed low as hell, usually buried completely.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I said "objective", not "cream your Speedos".

"Better" how? Less muddled? More top-end? Clearer strings?

Don't wait for the translation. Answer me, now!

That's scientific, hehe! I tried to make it sounds more like the Demastered Return of the Jedi OST. It really was my reference, so it took me few hours to achieve it.

So yes, it's far less muddled!

It's not a miracle, because the source is still the CDs, but it's now very enjoyable.

38 minutes ago, Bespin said:

That's scientific, hehe! I tried to make it sounds more like the Demastered Return of the Jedi OST. It really was my reference, so it took me few hours to achieve it.

So yes, it's far less muddled!

It's not a miracle, because the source is still the CDs, but it's now very enjoyable.

I don't believe you.

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Before you die, I promise you; you will like more.

Few years ago, I was not attracted to James Horner music, and now I'm his #2 fan.

So eveything is possible!

Some stuff I've heard the past few days:

X2: X-Men United (2003) - John Ottman
I still find this a greatly underrated score. Perhaps it might not be that special when considering superhero scores as a whole, but there's a whole lot of charm and appeal to it that a lot of the more modern scores lack. People probably like The Last Stand more, but this remains my favorite of the X-Men series.

Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015) Joe Kraemer
Despite the number of times I've heard this, I can't get a full grasp of this one. The style is great and has some fantastic cues and themes, but the whole just leaves me fairly underwhelmed. I think me and some friends have concluded that perhaps it's a bit too "technical" for its own good to be properly enjoyed. I'm still open for it to one day click with me, though 1 and GP will probably remain my favorites of the series (2 would be there if it wasn't so disconnected from the series sound wise).

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) John Ottman
The more I listen to this score, the more I find to appreciate about it. It's very disappointing Ottman never got to do the proper follow up to X2 that he wanted, but I think he still did try with the amount of limitations placed on him. There's more personality here than some of the MCU scores, and the more Zimmer inspired elements only take up a fraction of it. The main theme not being present much still bothers me, and it's ultimately not great, but there's enough to like for me to ultimately enjoy it. I still need to revisit First Class and Dark Phoenix to decide if this is my overall favorite of the prequels.

Rocky IV (1985) Vince DiCola
The quieter moments don't quite resonate with me as much as it could, but the more energetic tracks absolutely kick ass. Definitely enjoy Transformers more, but this makes for a great companion with it.

47 minutes ago, KK said:

The Mandalorian Chapters 1-3 by Ludwig Göransson

The somewhat catchy Conti-esque main tune aside, most of this is kinda...crap, isn't it?

None of it really excites me.

12 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

None of it really excites me.

Yea...maybe I was just in a cranky mood, but so much of it came off as painfully anonymous to me, even in terms of texture. 

I'm so far really disappointed with the Mandalorian, loved Goransson's work on Black Panther and the Creeds, as well as Community but aside from the fun Main Theme, its all a bit bland. 

No fear of re-appropriation, it's a Mongolian adventure movie, not another War Horse. With lots of ethnic yodeling but some solid orchestral adventure and travelogue parts, closely modeled on recent trends but for fans or recent trends and full symphonic ensemble this might be worth a listen. Powell-level.

The Green Mile (Thomas Newman)

This used to be my favorite back in the mid '00s: now I realize I'm not a big fan of the mouse-related cues (they're not bad, I just get bored and skip most of them), and I still don't like The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix: I love Thomas Newman, but I don't think I've ever heard him nail big orchestral/percussive action-y cues. Anyways, this is a pretty great score, and I absolutely adore all the weird textures, sounds and layers spread throughout. This track is still awesome as heck.