What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 11/29/2019 at 12:15 AM, crocodile said:

The long overdue DE that arrived today. :)

Karol

Well finally! :woop:

Home Alone (LLL)

Home Alone 2 (LLL) - John Williams

A Christmas Carol (Quartet) - Nick Bicât

Hark!  Ding dong!  Christmas time is here!  Bring a torch, Jeannette, Isabella!  Come all ye faithful!  Disco Stu is comin' to town!  Sing a song to the glorious season!

The Help - Thomas Newman

Almost the same score as Saving Mr Banks or The Judge, quirky moments for guitars and banjos and Newman's unusual instruments, mixed with atmospheric pianos and moments of great drama for strings. However, much like these two other scores, it has all the ingredients of Newman's great scores of the 90s and 2000s that I love (The Shawshank Redemption, The Horse Whisperer, Meet Joe Black, The Green Mile, American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Angels in America, Finding Nemo, etc), but not the "magic", that Newman touch that made his scores so great and emotional.

Still, there's a few excellent and dramatic moments, maybe more than either Saving Mr. Banks or The Judge, for me to put on a Thomas Newman highlights playlist.

3,5/5

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The Help - Thomas Newman

Almost the same score as Saving Mr Banks or The Judge, quirky moments for guitars and banjos and Newman's unusual instruments, mixed with atmospheric pianos and moments of great drama for strings. However, much like these two other scores, it has all the ingredients of Newman's great scores of the 90s and 2000s that I love (The Shawshank Redemption, The Horse Whisperer, Meet Joe Black, The Green Mile, American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Angels in America, Finding Nemo, etc), but not the "magic", that Newman touch that made his scores so great and emotional.

Still, there's a few excellent and dramatic moments, maybe more than either Saving Mr. Banks or The Judge, for me to put on a Thomas Newman highlights playlist.

3,5/5

I absolutely adore the themes of Saving Mr Banks, beautiful music. Do people find them derivative of other Newman scores?

Music for Ingmar Bergman films, by Erik Nordgren. Contains newly arranged (the original parts were lost) of 'Smile of a Summer Night', 'Wild Strawberries' and so on. For a style idiomatically very different from Hollywood it's well worth a listen.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Music for Ingmar Bergman films, by Erik Nordgren. Contains newly arranged (the original parts were lost) of 'Smile of a Summer Night', 'Wild Strawberries' and so on. For a style idiomatically very different from Hollywood it's well worth a listen.

Interesting. Is this a new album?

Karol

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I take it that CLASH OF THE TITANS is the Rosenthal score? 

Is the John Barry rejected score available?

No, I think you ask this question every single time. 😂

Karol

Stu Phillips, original Galactica -Saga of a Star World, Living Legend/War of the Gods and Buck Rogers (Movie/Pilot)

and being that time of year, Miracle on 34th Street -Bruce Broughton

as is the case when I've not listened to it in a while, a shiver and stir during "Case Dismissed", from about 1.07 -it's the build up closer to it, the swirl upwards 1.17 to 1.23. Also quite keen on "Dorey's Plea" and "Bellevue Carol". Does the job required and is entirely charming in its way. 

On 3/6/2018 at 3:12 AM, crocodile said:

media.nl?id=7258&c=ACCT67745&h=bee7590a9

Karol

On 3/6/2018 at 5:29 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Also nice. Now...any chance of John Barry's rejected score being released?

On 3/14/2018 at 5:49 AM, crocodile said:

:music: Clash of the Titans by Laurence Rosenthal

Karol

On 3/14/2018 at 6:59 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Nice.

Is John Barry's rejected score available?

On 3/14/2018 at 7:00 AM, crocodile said:

According to the liner notes, they rejected him based on demos.

Karol

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Clash of the Titans

45 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I take it that CLASH OF THE TITANS is the Rosenthal score? 

Is the John Barry rejected score available?

44 minutes ago, crocodile said:

No, I think you ask this question every single time. 😂

Karol

42 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

...and I'll ask it, again, that's the beauty of it :lol:

10 minutes ago, Sir Hilary Bray said:

and being that time of year, Miracle on 34th Street -Bruce Broughton

as is the case when I've not listened to it in a while, a shiver and stir during "Case Dismissed", from about 1.07 -it's the build up closer to it, the swirl upwards 1.17 to 1.23. Also quite keen on "Dorey's Plea" and "Bellevue Carol". Does the job required and is entirely charming in its way. 

Yes!  What a classic.

Coincidentally, this past Sunday we sang an Advent hymn that really reminded me of Bellevue Carol.

Do you hear similarity?  Not like a copy, just a bit similar.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes!  What a classic.

Coincidentally, this past Sunday we sang an Advent hymn that really reminded me of Bellevue Carol.

Do you hear similarity?  Not like a copy, just a bit similar.

Absolutely hear a similarity, in fact the very start of it sounds exactly like Broughton's track. Yes, I'd say the two are very similar.

Yeah it's another example of JW taking a well-constructed structure and order with one thing building on another, and completely shitting on it by staggering it with unrelated material and everything.

10 hours ago, publicist said:

Thor's favourite 2019 score is out, finally.

So what do you think? I actually really like it. I think at 40 minutes it makes a pretty pleasant programme.

:music: The Agony and the Ecstasy by Alex North. I genuinely think this might be one of the best film scores of all time. A magnificent achievement. 

Karol

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Agony and the Ecstasy by Alex North

Great score, but I prefer Spartacus and A Streetcar Named Desire, the latter of which are one of my top 10 favorite scores of all time (and I'm not even a big jazz fan).

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

So what do you think? I actually really like it. I think at 40 minutes it makes a pretty pleasant programme.

:music: The Agony and the Ecstasy by Alex North. I genuinely think this might be one of the best film scores of all time. A magnificent achievement. 

I did a mini-review back in October. It sure is 'Le Village Par Deux', thematically, but JNH found - with a very stripped down palette of musical gestures - a good middle ground between a solid thematic base and the Richter-like minimalism en vogue these days. It's no *masterpiece* but a very solid piece of score.

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Is the OST album of A Hidden Life 100% identical to the FYC album?

Yes, at least as far JNH is concerned. Btw, if you scrap 'Indoctrination' and 'Morality in Darkness', you have a pretty good album without much standstill.

After reading the excellent "James Horner for Dummies" bestseller, I now own a respectable basic CD collection of James Horner and so, I have ahead of me, hours an hours of magical moments!

Already on my wishlist for the january order: the Expansion of Apollo 13!

IMG_3079.JPG

"Basic"? "Respectable"?

No BRAINSTORM? No GORKY PARK? No KRULL? No THE NAME OF THE ROSE?

Bollocks! Do it, again!

Now, just a damn minute! 

I name four essential Horner scores, and you laugh?!

I weep, for the future!

1 hour ago, SteveMc said:

Krull is essential.

The others?  Well, i'm not as sure.

Brainstorm is essential. As is Sneakers.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Get swing kids for the magnificent big band recordings.

I got that just for Sing, Sing, Sing.

WITLSILT?

SUPERMAN.

There really isn't much I can say about this, except that it's been in my life for 41 years, and I've loved everyone of those years, that it been there. Every time I listen to it, I cry tears of joy. I'm listening to it, now, as I post this, and, yes, I am crying.

Simply magnificent.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I got that just for Sing, Sing, Sing.

That's indeet the highlight, and the best recording since Benny Goodman's 1937 "original", but the others are also great. Especially Shout and Feel it, a Count Basie arrangement that only exists in a crappy sounding broadcast recording.

Long and tedious coach journey this morning accompanied by these complete scores:

Twilight Zone: The Movie

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

Poltergeist

The Shadow

Karol

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You were able to sit still listening to all that magnificence? 

I had not much choice but to sit still. ;) Anyway, on my way back now and listening to...

The Haunting

The Fellowship of the Ring

Karol

This time of year is always nostalgic for me when it comes to music. Every December I catch up on the scores of the past year, with much thanks to the FYC season making music available for me to download and listen to. I have many fond memories of discovering hidden gems, as well as the anticipation of the next Star Wars score. For these reasons I tend to listen to more scores in the winter.I haven't been able to sit down and listen to a full score in months, so it's been nice getting back to this as I scrap around my schedule to get however much "me time" I can. Fortunately it's easy to "multitask" while listening to music, so I've gotten a lot of work done whilst listening to:

A Hidden Life by James Newton Howard

Twice now, and the best one I've heard yet. Heart-achingly beautiful string passages, a memorable theme, and coherent classical additives. Unfortunate that it may not be Oscar-eligible, because it's certainly worthy.

1917 by Thomas Newman

Pretty much the status quo I expected, save for a handful of keeper tracks- Night Window, Devons to Mackenzie mainly.

Vice by Nicholas Britell

If Beale Street Could Talk by Nicholas Britell

Two of my favourite discoveries of last year. I reccomend both!

Darkest Hour by Dario Marianelli

Pride and Prejudice by Dario Marianelli

Two personal fancies. Good to return to as I ease myself back into my listening routine.