What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Jumanji - James Horner

Still, I think my favorite kid score he's ever done is probably Casper, much because of Casper's Lullaby.

Watered-down Elfman (Edward Scissorhands). Horner rewrote Elfman like crazy in those days (also: We're Back).

What's remarkable about Jumanji, the least-loved of his kiddie scores next to 'Spiderwick Chronicles', is the surprisingly pronounced dissonance:

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Watered-down Elfman (Edward Scissorhands). Horner rewrote Elfman like crazy in those days (also: We're Back).

What's remarkable about Jumanji, the least-loved of his kiddie scores next to 'Spiderwick Chronicles', is the surprisingly pronounced dissonance:

Maybe that's what I liked Jumanji a lot, the dissonance reminded me a little of the action music from Apollo 13 and the sinking scenes on Titanic. I'm really a fan of his action music from that era.

I remember really liking the trailer for that film. And that oboe solo sounds lovely! Thanks for the find Stu!

Everyone's entitled to their own opinions and there's no reason to insult anyone just for having them.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Next up: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

That's also really really repetitive and full of filler.

46 minutes ago, publicist said:

I protest your reasoning that it was without reason! Neither Signs nor Grand Canyon are JNH's only highlights.

Who said anything about only highlights? Except for you, that is...

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's also really really repetitive and full of filler.

You know what? Not really. But it is also more all over the place. It's more colourful and varied but lacking focus.

:music: Gods of Egypt by Marco Beltrami (plus god knows who else). And underrated recent blockbuster score and album.

Karol

Not a fan of The Fugitive, it's like a less good Goldsmith action score from the 90s. I don't know how it got nominated instead of Jurassic Park, but I don't see Williams complaining since he won that year anyway, lol.

And the main theme for Kamen's Robin Hood is great! I love it!

The Fugitive is fun, I hope it gets a fixed complete release someday since the old LLL edition had some problems

14 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Waterworld by JNH. A mostly enjoyable score but really really repetitive and full of filler. The composer has done better elsewhere. 

Next up: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Karol

Agreed wholeheartedly and the main theme isn't really one of his best. Gets on my nerves after a while. But I find myself returning to the more atmospheric pieces in the score more than the high octane action these days.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

Agreed wholeheartedly and the main theme isn't really one of his best. Gets on my nerves after a while. But I find myself returning to the more atmospheric pieces in the score more than the high octane action these days.

I agree. But would you recommend the expansion it I'm mostly interesting in the atmospheric stuff?

I think the action music is probably JNH's best from the 90s, and amongst the best of his whole career. But I really listen more frequently to the atmospheric and romantic music, which is great:

4 minutes ago, Romão said:

I agree. But would you recommend the expansion it I'm mostly interesting in the atmospheric stuff?

Well, if you want to try, there's a bootleg complete on YouTube, if you want to give a try on the complete score before purchasing the expansion.

Time's Up - Michael McCuistion

Good score with beautiful orchestration. It conveys a sense of deep space, passage of time and astronomy within the Griffith Observatory. This would be even better had McCuistion been allowed a budget for live orchestra, but it's still nice. Very thematic too and a steal for $5!

The expanded Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. Wow, it really helps to have some more of the quiet underscore in here...the OST is fun but it can be a little much as it rushes from one full-blast action cue to another. I like this presentation a lot better - all the best music was on the OST, but this album gives more time to breathe between those moments. Very glad I finally bought this!

I would highly, highly, highly recommend that anyone and everyone who likes classic, gorgeous melody-driven scores should check out Philippe Rombi's ANGEL. Have been listening to it nonstop the last couple days and there are a few tracks I basically have on repeat.

It ain't particularly good, especially in its impertinent Apollo 13-lifts and succession of boring, shapeless dialogue scoring (79 minutes!), but that main theme is a corker and a few of Horner's elephantine cues (Our Best Hope, Drawing Straws) still draw you in. It's corrupted but very effective. It sounds as if the microphones are buttered up with vaseline, though. I'm no big fan of Horner's work with Simon Rhodes.