What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 3/16/2020 at 12:48 AM, Þekþiþm said:

His last truly great score was Temple of Doom.

You're all wrong. His last truly great score was War Horse. 

Sneakers

One of Horner's more influential scores (for himself), this wonderful score provided ideas to everything from Apollo 13 to Searching for Bobby Fischer, Deep Impact, Bicentennial Man and A Beautiful Mind. It's certainly one of my favorites from him.

5 minutes ago, Trent Hoyt said:

Captain America The First Avenger

I do enjoy the Cap theme, I'm not familiar with the other scores or movies to know if it gets expanded.

Not really, kind of the opposite really.

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Sneakers

One of Horner's more influential scores (for himself), this wonderful score provided ideas to everything from Apollo 13 to Searching for Bobby Fischer, Deep Impact, Bicentennial Man and A Beautiful Mind. It's certainly one of my favorites from him.

Cattle mutilations are up.

44 minutes ago, Trent Hoyt said:

I do enjoy the Cap theme, I'm not familiar with the other scores or movies to know if it gets expanded.

Captain America's theme makes a very small appearance on The Avengers' score, then is tracked from Silvestri's score for the opening scene of The Winter Soldier. Brian Tyler quotes it too on Thor: The Dark World.

After that, Silvestri only brings the theme back, alongside Steve and Pepper's love theme, for Endgame.

The Tesseract theme is used again on The Avengers, Infinity War and Endgame, as a theme for the Infinity Stones.

I would add several others, from 'The Phantom' to 'The Hulk', 'Man of Steel' and probably the two Spider-Man's by Horner and Zimmer (not the greatest stuff ever written, but gets the job done).

Amazing Spider-Man 2 was on TV last Sunday, and I tried to pay attention to the score. It's mostly droning, with a theme appearing here and there. Not very interesting in context.

And Electro's theme is pretty bad. Makes the character even sillier and stupider than it already is. Zimmer and Webb tried to make the character even campier, and he ended up not being menacing at all.

A Zimmer super-hero score that I like but no one else seems to care about is BvS. I'm not a fan of Batman's gothic theme, but that score has some great highlights.

I wouldn't watch this crap (ASM 2) if you paid me, so I just go by the album (suites), which are pretty entertaining and certainly better than most things of this ilk. 

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Amazing Spider-Man 2 was on TV last Sunday, and I tried to pay attention to the score. It's mostly droning, with a theme appearing here and there. Not very interesting in context.

And Electro's theme is pretty bad. Makes the character even sillier and stupider than it already is. Zimmer and Webb tried to make the character even campier, and he ended up not being menacing at all.

A Zimmer super-hero score that I like but no one else seems to care about is BvS. I'm not a fan of Batman's gothic theme, but that score has some great highlights.

Mostly droning? It's one of his least, I find. Likely thanks to the much livelier style compared to other Zimmer capeshit scores. Plus the fact I do like a lot of the themes, even if some are a bit much or derivative of his other works as per usual. Horner and Giacchino are probably the better scores, but there's something about TASM2's bonkers "not giving a damn if its silly" energy that I find infectious.

Zimmer's DCEU works are frustrating to me. I like a lot of the ideas, but the actual underscore feels so drab. I don't know if he just wasn't inspired enough or if he was restricted, but whatever I get out of the suites just isn't in the proper music much. Elfman's JL is weirdly the opposite for me, where I find it very listenable in spite of it being super standard for him. The only thing I've outright disliked was RGW's WW, which was so agonizingly dull. I'm told the album works better for that, so I might hear it one day. 

5 hours ago, publicist said:

I would add several others, from 'The Phantom' to 'The Hulk', 'Man of Steel' and probably the two Spider-Man's by Horner and Zimmer (not the greatest stuff ever written, but gets the job done).

Batman Forever is a terrific comic book score

Knives Out by Nathan Johnson

Listened once and thought it could use a trim from 52 minutes, so I narrowed it down to a half-hour program. It's quite good.

Capture.JPG

The first track acts as a zesty and vibrant overture, as if born out of a Paganini concerto- it's certainly a keeper for shuffle playlists. What follows is a series of cues with plenty of personality, never failing to channel a classic sense of drama and mystery. There's a recognizable Herrmann-esque quality at work here (perhaps Elfman in Gothic mode, which is pretty "Herrmann" as is). There aren't many scores written with this sound anymore, and I suspect that it's a result of the film's attempt to hearken back to earlier whodunits in plot and score alike. On that level, it's certainly a success.

Done a broad range in the past week or so:

Big Bus, David Shire

Star Trek (XI) and Beyond -Giachino

Skyfall, Thomas Newman

Bridge at Remagen, Saturn 3, Bernstein

Fall of the Roman Empire, Tiomkin

and bits of pieces from a dozen or so soundtracks

Priest (recording sessions) - Christopher Young

A score that's too good for a pretty terrible film, and yet another proof that Young should've been scoring more movies like this. Come on, Feige, give him a job on Dr Strange 2!

Revolutionary Road - Thomas Newman

One of my favorite late career Newman scores. 

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

:thumbup: It's a good score, from a largely unknown film. I saw this, in London, as a double-bill, with THE BAD NEWS BEARS.

Quite like the title score. Classic 70s sound but slightly 'dramatic' in line with Airport or whatever. Harbinger Curve and Springfield Sequence are two of my favourites. The film, well I've not seen it in years but it was good fun. 

Now that I'm not using the bus and listening to music while walking, I transitioned to a score per night before Youtube subscriptions/reading.

Just finished my new condensed or extended reordered reimagined Bram Stoker's Dracula edit and I'm pretty damn satisfied.

Yesterday I searched up an old download link in a PM convo and listened to Black Sunday on a complete inexplicable whim for the first time.

Ordered.

26 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

He looks like Mahler

He went through many painful operations to achieve that look.

27 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

According to his website, Navarro even composed his first symphony in D major.

Were you expecting another key?

• 2 weeks later...

Some suitable music to accompany my first reading of Dracula

Dracula by John Williams

The Fury by John Williams

Bram Stoker's Dracula by Wojciech Kilar

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman

Sleepy Hollow by Danny Elfman

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is the book that long?

This edition is 440 pages so yes.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What are you, a librarian?

Well actually in my previous occupation yes. But I also had the book in front of me and bothered to check the page count just now. ;) 

16 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Dracula by John Williams

Huh?! Where's MONSTER MASH? :lol:

Seriously, though, Inky, you might want to add IMAGES, to that list...or any of James Bernard's Hammer scores.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Dracula by John Williams

I would also add Hummie Mann's score for Dracula: Dead and Loving It. It's a surprising serious and earnest score for a comedy. Hope it gets released one day

3 minutes ago, Romão said:

I would also add Hummie Mann's score for Dracula: Dead and Loving It. It's a surprising serious and earnest score for a comedy. Hope it gets released one day

Link, please!

Pinocchio by Dario Marianelli

Jane Eyre by Dario Marianelli

The Secret Garden by Zbigniew Preisner