What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

L'uomo del labirinto by Vito Lo Tre

A lyrical, perhaps even Herrmann-esque showing; certainly a couple of 'keeper' tracks. Everyone should at least check out Genko's Theme.

The Big Country by Jerome Moross

Perfect "get up and have a hoedown" music.

Black Panther by Ludwig Göransson (Hour Long Playlist)

Another successful Discord listening session with the fellows this afternoon (thanks again @Disco Stu, @Holko and @SteveMc!). Glad to have gotten around to this Oscar-winning effort in our Göransson triple crown run. By far the best score to come out of the relatively uninspired MCU catalogue. 

Battle of Neretva by Bernard Herrmann

Sisters by Bernard Herrmann :up:

North by Northwest by Bernard Herrmann (McNeely Rerecording) :up:

Fantastic Mr. Fox by Alexandre Desplat (Score-Only Playlist) :up:

Inferno by Hans Zimmer

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Black Panther by Ludwig Göransson (Hour Long Playlist)

Another successful Discord listening session with the fellows this afternoon (thanks again @Disco Stu, @Holko and @SteveMc!). Glad to have gotten around to this Oscar-winning effort in our Göransson triple crown run. By far the best score to come out of the relatively uninspired MCU catalogue. 

From the big sounding and substantial brass, to the surprisingly affecting lyrical string writing, to the vibrant yet not overwhelming use of ethnic and modern elements, Goransson's score impresses  a good deal.

GIRL, INTERRUPTED - MYCHAEL DANNA

I've had a lot of Danna on tonight, but hadn't remembered much of this one. It's really lovely in places.

Blanchard is reliable, more reliable than most, here for a Spike Lee joint (his Netflix defloration), about four African American Vietnam veterans returning to Vietnam in search of the remains of their fallen squad leader and the promise of buried treasure. Stately americana á la Copland, Saving Private Ryan (though much more aggressive) and 'Medal of Honor'. It's exquisitely orchestrated and richly thematic. The appropriation of the Fanfare for the Common Man in this context remains cheeky, for present US events lay proof.

5 hours ago, LSH said:

GIRL, INTERRUPTED - MYCHAEL DANNA

I've had a lot of Danna on tonight, but hadn't remembered much of this one. It's really lovely in places.

Any Danna is worth a listen. MONSOON WEDDING is absolutely gorgeous.

Balto - James Horner

I love listen to this score! It's so filled with life, excitment and danger.

That said, I really want to know what Buzz Lightyear's theme from Toy Story (much like Balto, another animated movie released in 1995) is doing here. Don Davis was credited as orchestrator on both scores, but even still is confusing. Did Davis suggest to Randy Newman to use a random part of a previous score on his Toy Story soundtrack?

And there's some parts pretty similar to Davis' own The Matrix on Grizzly Bear. 

U.S. Marshals (Varese Expanded) by Jerry Goldsmith

The Book Thief by John Williams

The River (Intrada Expanded) by John Williams

Ivanhoe by Miklós Rózsa

Sodom and Gomorrah by Miklós Rózsa

Part 3 day!

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

The Matrix Revolutions

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

That's part nine.

Meh.

The Matrix Revolutions

Double-meh.

:)

23 hours ago, Incanus said:

U.S. Marshals (Varese Expanded) by Jerry Goldsmith

The Book Thief by John Williams

The River (Intrada Expanded) by John Williams

Ivanhoe by Miklós Rózsa

Sodom and Gomorrah by Miklós Rózsa

With all this soundtrack listening I don't understand how you find time to listen to Sibelius.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Part 3 day!

The Matrix Revolutions

Karol

I love the first two Dragon scores, but I have yet to connect to the third one, which is strange, I usually I have no problem connecting with John Powell in this sort of idiom

I don't have a favorite of the three. Have tried and failed to decide. I'll just take all of them.

Though for the record, all Powell scores bow before the might of Ferdinand. 

The Good Dinosaur after watching the film a second time. Lovely score with some very memorable themes.

Dark Phoenix. Zimmer has made an electronic concept album which functions perfectly well for me as a background listen. I can't imagine it functions particularly well as a score. It's extremely simplistic stuff.

18 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

With all this soundtrack listening I don't understand how you find time to listen to Sibelius.

I listen to Sibelius on headphones while I sleep of course!

Medal of Honor Airborne by Michael Giacchino

Medal of Honor Frontline by Michael Giacchino

Medal of Honor European Assault by Christopher Lennertz

GUN - CHRISTOPER LENNERTZ

Superb. If only you could hear this sort of thing in a modern western film. That main theme is simply banging.

Finished my latest project because it's no fair that most of you can now listen to anything from your childhoods or hope for it with good chances and I will always have gaping holes.

The couple recorded cues are spread and reused throughout the series, so my crazy mind thought "why not piece it all together?"

From the video description:

" Composer and the Balkans' folk music collector Tihamér Vujicsics, who passed away tragically early, has composed memorable and enjoyable pieces to the iconic 1963 TV serial "The Captain of Tenkes" about the early 1700s Hungarian uprising against Austrian Habsburg rule, but so far one could only hear them under the dialogue and sound effects. The folk music knowledge and interest helped the composer score the Southern Hungary of the era accurately, using actual melodies (Rákóczi-nóta in the main title, "Török Bársony Süvegem" performed in track 7, existing horn alarm calls), also noteworthy is the use of instruments, like the tárogató/taragot/turkish pipe solos, and the cimbalom appearing in most of the cues. The original tapes were likely lost or reused after the 1965 2-part theatrical reedit of the original 13-part series, and the chances of a full professional rerecording are slim, so I collected every piece of music heard in the episodes and theatrical parts and switched between most of them, looped bits, amplified parts by up to 15 dB (unfortunately raising the noise level) where needed, then assembled and arranged this collection, I hope to the joy of many."

Maybe I've read too many specialty release announcements? Or too few...

On 6/5/2020 at 11:11 AM, Holko said:

theFrom

From the video description:

" Composer and the Balkans' folk music collector Tihamér Vujicsics, who passed away tragically early, composed memorable and enjoyable pieces to iconic 1963 TV serial "The Captain of Tenkes" about early 1700s Hungarian uprising against Austrian Habsburg rule, but could so far only be heard under dialogue and sound effects. folk music knowledge and interest helped composer score Southern Hungary of the era accurately, using actual melodies (Rákóczi-nóta in main title, "Török Bársony Süvegem" performed in track 7, existing horn alarm calls), also noteworthy is use of instruments, like tárogató/taragot/turkish pipe solos, and cimbalom appearing in most cues. original tapes were likely lost or reused after 1965 2-part theatrical reedit of original 13-part series, and chances of a full professional rerecording are slim, so I collected every piece of music heard in the episodes and theatrical parts and switched between most of them, looped bits, amplified parts by up to 15 dB (unfortunately raising noise level) where needed, then assembled and arranged this collection, hopefully to the joy of many."

Maybe I've read too many specialty release announcements? Or too few...

Fixed to be more Intrada-esque ;)

I had a weekend filled with adventures:

Avatar - James Horner - It's impressive how Horner created two scores, one more traditional (and very modern) and the other with native american music. But it's easier to admire this score than to like it, you need to have patience with traditional chants and flutes, etc.

Hook - John Williams - Great score! When You're All Alone made me want to listen to...

Tomorrowland - Michael Giacchino - Gia's masterpiece is that score.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

John Carter - Michael Giacchino - Gia's masterpiece is that score.

Yup.

:music: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. A somewhat foreboding start of the day. It doesn't necessarily translate to the most enjoyable of albums but it is a clever and effective score nonetheless.

Karol

WHITE LINES - TOM HOLKENBORG

Never been a fan of his film music so far. This score allowed him to go back to his roots and is an absolute joy to listen to. Chilled melancholic electronica appropriate for the setting of the show it serves. Takes me back to those early Cafe del Mar compilations from the 90s. Lovely stuff.

This week:

Black Sunday by John Williams

First time listening session with @Holko over the weekend (three for three and another one on the way!) and my first impressions were good. Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with pre-SW Williams as I ought to be, but I appreciated what was a more pared down approach (in hindsight of course). The moody atmosphere is certainly befitting and the two main motifs get a thorough running. The End Title arrangement has made my shuffle playlist for the month. 

Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles by Arturo Cardelús

An under-the-radar pubs reccomendation from last year that I finally got around to. Worth checking out.

Da Five Bloods by Terence Blanchard

Pinnochio by Dario Marianelli

Musical comfort food! I've been playing this in the evenings this week. 

The Egyptian by Bernard Herrmann & Alfred Newman

Gold by Daniel Pemberton 

Kubo and the Two Strings by Dario Marianelli 

The BFG by John Williams

Nixon by John Williams

Bulitt by Lalo Schifrin 

Escape from the Planet of the Apes by Jerry Goldsmith

2001: A Space Odyssey by Alex North (Rejected Score) 

First time hearing this and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience! 

And still chipping away at a breakdown for the HTTYD trilogy. 

End to end a mixed bag, but there's a bunch of real neat stuff here and certainly some new discoveries I intend to return to. 

Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief

In 2010, when the director of Home Alone and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone released his new fantasy movie based on a YA series of books, he didn't choose John Williams (for some reason). Instead, the very competent Christophe Beck was hired. The result was a decent, pleasant, inoffensive enough fantasy score, with a main theme that reminded me a little of John Powell's Dark Phoenix theme from X-Men: The Last Stand.

It's not a bad score, just a little generic. One can't help but wonder what Williams or James Horner could've done to the same material. As for Beck, his best scores remain the Ant-Man ones he did for Marvel.

:music: The Predator by Henry Jackman. I think this is the best Predator score after the original as it doesn't rehash the old material over and over almost verbatim. It actually feels like Jackman is doing something with the material.

Karol

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Wasn't JW kind of retired then?

It was on those post-Indy 4 pre-Sequel Trilogy days, before even Tintin and War Horse, both of which came out almost 2 years later than the release of Percy Jackson. Williams wasn't doing anything back then and could've been called (the same goes for Horner, who collaborated with director Chris Columbus on Bicentennial Man).

But I don't think they would do it, mostly because Percy Jackson was cheaper than HPPS, and had less pedigree.

So Spielberg talked him out of retirement, and to do two scores? I don't think that happened.

I believe they didn't call Williams simply because the movie asked for a more modern, urban edge, instead of JW's old fashioned writing for HP, so they chose a younger composer.

19 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So Spielberg talked him out of retirement, and to do two scores? I don't think that happened.

He's basically only worked with Spielberg and on SW for a long time, if neglecting The Book Thief which he seemed to pursue because it intended him a lot.

But if we consider his retirement only working for Star Wars and Spielberg, than I'd say he has been retired for a long time, lol. Even on the 2000s he did just the three Potters, The Patriot and Memoirs of a Geisha as movies that didn't involve Spielberg or Lucas/Star Wars.

Anyway, I imagine who or what will get him out of retirement this time. Indy 5? A new collaboration with Anne Sophie-Mutter? Another Spielberg flick?

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Anyway, I imagine who or what will get him out of retirement this time. Indy 5? A new collaboration with Anne Sophie-Mutter? Another Spielberg flick?

Steven Spielberg presents

THE DIVA

Starring Daisy Ridley as the young Anne Sophie Mutter and Tom Hanks as Herbert von Karajan.

Violin solos by Anne Sophie Mutter.