What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Empire of the Sun

Return to the City, Seeing the Bomb, Bringing Them Back...

Screw it, here's a hot take for y'all: THIS is the "Empire" score Williams was put on this wretched mudball for.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Empire of the Sun

Return to the City, Seeing the Bomb, Bringing Them Back...

Screw it, here's a hot take for y'all: THIS is the "Empire" score Williams was put on this wretched mudball for.

I just pulled this one out myself. That new arrangement of Devil's Dance has me running back to 1987 to see what Williams was up to. I normally look at the five years from 84-89 as sort of a lull (if the man ever really had one) but those two scores are really much much better than I remember. Going to be giving both movies a watch too since I believe they are both on HBO Max right now.

13 hours ago, Bespin said:

James Horner - Apollo 13 Expanded (Composer's soundtrack assembly)

James Horner - Legends of the fall expanded 

John Williams- CE3K expanded (C&C playlist)

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Vertigo (McNeely recording). This is one of my favourite albums of all time. Beautifully played and captured, this recording actually surpasses the original. It's alluring and seductive. The disc doesn't feature the complete score but it's a very well put together selection. You don't really need the remaining material. This is film music perfection.

Karol

McNeely's North by Northwest is also very good!

Al (you can call me Al) Silvestri - Back to The Future Expanded

Al - Back to The Future II Expanded

delorean | Pixel Art Maker

On 7/27/2020 at 10:12 AM, blondheim said:

I hope film score re-recordings become a big trend. John Debney's Superman is a great spin too.

The Star Wars original trilogy should be re-recorded (sync with the movies, as they play it in concert). I'd buy that.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

The Star Wars original trilogy should be re-recorded (sync with the movies, as they play it in concert). I'd buy that.

Why would you want to deliberately record a crippled mess like the TPM UE edit? Yes, they should be re-recorded, but in full, not in the mutilated film edits.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Why would you want to deliberately record a crippled mess like the TPM UE edit? Yes, they should be re-recorded, but in full, not in the mutilated film edits.

IIRC some of Tadlow CD's recorded synced to parts of the films, and they are presented without microedits..

36 minutes ago, The River (Fal) said:

IIRC some of Tadlow CD's recorded synced to parts of the films, and they are presented without microedits..

I'm not saying that syncing the performance to the film is necessarily a bad idea. But Bespin's "as they play it in concerts" implies retaining all the edits (and even those of the SEs, although the original releases were bad enough), and that's a no go.

4 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes, they should be re-recorded, but in full,

Why waste time on that when they have good definitive actual recordings that can be released someday? Rerecord something that sounds like shit because it's old or the good tapes rotted or there was no budget to do it like the composer really wanted.

The Martian (2015) - Harry Gregson-Williams

Gave this one a go today, and I thought it was quite pleasant, if a bit lacking in much proper direction. It's more inspired in its electronic/orchestral hybrid style than a lot of its contemporaries, and overall makes for a nice sort of mood piece. I feel I need to listen to it again to better gauge what I think of it, but it's definitely one to recommend if you want something calming to put on the background with occasional bits of heavier orchestra.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Why waste time on that when they have good definitive actual recordings that can be released someday? Rerecord something that sounds like shit because it's old or the good tapes rotted or there was no budget to do it like the composer really wanted.

While I agree that there are other scores in more dire need of a recording, ANH could also benefit from one IMHO

11 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I said ORIGINAL trilogy!

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

I said ORIGINAL trilogy!

You said "as they play it in concert".

11 hours ago, Holko said:

Because TLJ and TROS showed how fantastic a new recording of those scores could sound. I'd be surprised if any generation tapes of the original recordings could compete.

Doesn't mean I don't still want them to record LionheartCaptain Blood, and The Hallelujah Trail.

Far and Away (LLL) by John Williams

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (complete edit) by John Williams

21 hours ago, Bespin said:

I would have The Empire Strikes Back at the top of my recording list if I ever win the lottery (guess I should start by entering it first...). The original is undeniably great, but I love the idea of a full second recording by a top flight orchestra and conductor, tackling it as though it were an opera or a long tone poem. I'm deliberately trying to avoid the phrase "re-recording" as they seem to have a negative connotation for film music fans (but not something that classical music listeners get hung up about... indeed, in some ways it makes me glad that we don't have an "original" Beethoven 5 or whatever against which every one of the 432534325 recordings of it would be measured... by all accounts, modern orchestras and conductors perform some of those classic works better than they were ever performed during the composer's lifetime... but I digress...).

Lincoln (OST+FYC album combo) by John Williams

Seven Years in Tibet by John Williams

Nixon by John Williams

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Sibelius by Jean Sibelius

Who would have thought he would eventually score his own biopic?

Not really a score, but Yo-Yo Ma plays the music of John Williams

I think I haven't listened to this since I've gotten the Sony boxset, and honestly I was a bit worn out by the end of that first runthrough and mostly just skipped through this one a bit. But hoo boy is it good!

9 minutes ago, Holko said:

Not really a score, but Yo-Yo Ma plays the music of John Williams

I think I haven't listened to this since I've gotten the Sony boxset, and honestly I was a bit worn out by the end of that first runthrough and mostly just skipped through this one a bit. But hoo boy is it good!

It is such a fantastic album with some of my favourite concerts works from Williams on it, the Cello Concerto, Elegy for Cello and Orchestra and Heartwood. Yo-Yo Ma's playing is as always technically impeccable but what's more important very moving and emotionally resonant.

I would love to have Volume 2 with music from Williams' film scores arranged by the composer for Yo-Yo Ma much like the gorgeous Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone album.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

I would love to have Volume 2 with music from Williams' film scores arranged by the composer for Yo-Yo Ma much like the gorgeous Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone album.

Hear, hear!

Chicken Run by Harry Gregson-WIlliams and John Powell: It has been a while since I listened to this and had forgotten how fun score this is and also so very genuine in its enthusiasm, emotion, melodies and of course kazoos!

I created an Alien playlist, using the tracks which are really used in the movie, using some alt rescored ones, when they were used.

So basically, it's Alien without too much of the Alien theme.

:sarcasm:

I had a lot of music on at work this week. Listened to complete/expanded scores:

Star Wars

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Superman: The Movie

Superman Returns

Jaws (McNeely)

Star Trek (2009)

An American Tail

Avengers: Endgame

Starship Troopers

As well as other stuff:

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

The River

The Fury (OST)

The Adventures of Tintin

The Incredibles

The Incredibles 2

Jurassic World

Gods of Egypt

Perhaps not the most imaginative selection but at least it keeps me going. Mood is low as is.

Karol

17 hours ago, Bespin said:

Alien I and II, I'm in a terror mode.

To continue in my "terror" mode:

Mark Knopfler - The Princess Bride

35 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Impressive. Most impressive.

Why is your mood "low", Croc?

I've not been off since Vienna concert in January. I've been working a lot on my own which is stressful. And I miss my family who live abroad. I am expected to fly home in two weeks but given how things are going... And some other small things that don't seem to go anywhere. I just feel completely exhausted. My GP suggested that maybe I should consider antidepressants... 

In other words, pretty much like everyone else at the moment. ;)

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I had a lot of music on at work this week. Listened to complete/expanded scores:

Star Wars

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Star Wars: Attack of the Clones

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Superman: The Movie

Superman Returns

Jaws (McNeely)

Star Trek (2009)

An American Tail

Avengers: Endgame

Starship Troopers

As well as other stuff:

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

The River

The Fury (OST)

The Adventures of Tintin

The Incredibles

The Incredibles 2

Jurassic World

Gods of Egypt

Perhaps not the most imaginative selection but at least it keeps me going. Mood is low as is.

Karol

Geez, did you have to work extra hours or what?

46 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Geez, did you have to work extra hours or what?

Nope. It was just on pretty much all the time. 

Karol

On 7/27/2020 at 4:12 PM, blondheim said:

John Debney's Superman is a great spin too.

It's not as good as the original though, both in interpretation and balance of instruments, and is quite superfluous now that we've got a proper remaster of the original recordings.