What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Haha, that's exactly what I had in mind with the "not enough budget/time for a good recording", we know Poledouris wasn't satisfied with the original and checking out bits of it, I can definitely see why and am happy to just have the Tadlow to listen to. More because of the unevenness, some cues are great, some are just sloppy and sound so small.

More music is never a bad thing, at least for me. What does it hurt to have more? Everyone can choose. But the Riders of Doom cue especially is really lacking in the new one, and since that is by far my favorite cue, I am admitting a heavy bias.

Composers can't always be trusted to be objective about opinions over enjoyment, they aren't fans. Writers are very critical of themselves, even after they write masterpieces. Look at David Foster Wallace.

42 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I listened to the re-recording of The Lion in Winter, I'll give the OST a try tomorrow... who knows!

Now it's time to rest in the Cocoon...

20200806_123256.jpg

Listen to the THE LION IN WINTER OST tomorrow, listen to COCOON next, put COCOON THE RETURN in the shredder, now.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Exactly!

Yes, yes, @Bespin; to Romāo, you listen!

Fans of Bond, and especially YOLT, probably had a giant "What the f**k?!" moment, when they heard this.

MAIN TITLE, ELEANOR'S ARRIVAL, and WE'RE JUNGLE CREATURES contain passages of unrivalled Barry power and beauty. It's a stonker of a score, and it fully deserved its Oscar.

I also particularly love "How Beautiful you Make Me" and "To Rome". You can almost feel the cold draft blowing through the stone corridors of the castle. What a score, Barry took an absolute tone perfect aproach

image.png

After talking about this score in the recent thread i dug it out of my iTunes dungeon and lo and behold, my selection - culled from whatever bootleg was available - works much better for me than the compromised Decca version(s). I took out Zimmer at his worst (whenever he threatens to go *classical*, the overload of thumping action stuff) and concentrated on the more overtly melodic and pop-ish cues and the scheming Commodus stuff, where the score is at its most sophisticated. 

All things considered, it remains an attractive mix of world music and somewhat Morricone-like dramatic sensibilities. The over-processed sound does become a drawback from time to time, but as it affects mostly the thumping action cues i excised anyway ('Barbarian Horde') it's no big deal. Whoever was responsible for the last minute of the cue 'Escape Fails' was on to something, as the pulsating Prokofiev-like moments, remains of an earlier cue in 'Peacemaker', offer a fine contrast to the coarse rest. 

I made a mistake, a terrible mistake to listen to the rerecorded version of The Lion in Winter first.

This morning I listen to the OST and the mood is far much better. Another CD to add on my wishlist!

:music: Lawrence of Arabia. This is my third listen this week. I always thought this was good music but having watched the film for the first time earlier this week really catapulted Jarre's into the "great" category. Very well scored picture and it doesn't really need any more than 70+ minutes (for an almost 4-hour film) to make an impression.

Karol

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

I made a mistake, a terrible mistake to listen to the rerecorded version of The Lion in Winter first.

This morning I listen to the OST and the mood is far much better. Another CD to add on my wishlist!

The older sounding quality of the original recording really suits the mood of the score much better

Just now, Romão said:

The older sounding quality of the original recording really suits the mood of the score much better

Terrific score, this one. Took me ages to buy it but it was worth every penny. Currently one of my favourite Goldsmiths.

Karol

I definitely remember that when I first watched it last year, I got up during the intermission and ordered the Tadlow. Didn't need to wait it all out at all.

It's a fabulous album and miles ahead of the the previous recording also done by James.

:music: Black Gold. Perhaps not exactly a top-tier Horner but this is nevertheless a very enjoyable late score. It's a nice mix of old and new. I like the couple nice scherzos to break the otherwise earnest mood. And mysterious The Blowing Sand is one of my favourite Horner pieces of the 2010's. The very reasonably assembled 56-minute album goes by in no time. It's quite underappreciated really.

Karol

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Isn't the use of the Ondes Martenot "anachronistic" and period "inaccurate"?😉

The use of synthesizers by Vangelis was also "inaccurate", but it didn't stop CHARIOTS OF FIRE from becoming a fuck off score.

The Avengers (no not that one, the Joel McNeely one) - easily a top 5 McNeely score, a terrific mix of big orchestral fun and a nod to the 60's original style, with a great version of the original Laurie Johnson theme to cap it off (although McNeely's own main theme is great). Flight of the Mechanical Bees is one of his best and wittiest action cues.

Chandos Film Music - Having picked up most of the remaining Chandos film music albums in their recent sale, I've been exploring the new acquisitions and titles I already have. I have to admit that some of the music by the British composers can feel a bit interchangeable, good though it is. William Alwyn gets a generous four volumes and is certainly one of the finest represented (apart from perhaps Vaughan Williams). However, the Black, Lambert & Berners, Benjamin (save for the well known Storm Clouds Cantata) & Lucas didn't leave a huge impression. However, the Chagrin album is great, certainly the most enjoyable of my recent acquisitions. Having said that, none were quite as enjoyable as the Brian Easdale album with the Red Shoes on it, really terrific and a lot less old fashioned than some of the others (I felt the same about the equally excellent Gerard Schurmann album).

Rob Roy (Carter Burwell) - A bit more low key and not quite as memorable or mystically epic as Horner's Braveheart, but still a fine score and the two finale tracks are particularly terrific. It reminded me of all those years in the 90s when there were two films with almost identical stories that came out the same year... dare I start a thread about it?!

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! (Aaron Copland) - So obscure, it doesn't even feature on his Wikipedia page. A surprisingly enjoyable score for a somewhat naff sounding courtroom drama that he did for the money, which mixes a few standard Copland tropes with a hint of Gershwin/Bernstein (L) New York styling. Coupled with a terrific version of the full version of Appalachian Spring on the Naxos album conducted be Leonard Slatkin.

Wonder Woman (Rupert Gregson-Williams) - One of the more middling Marvel efforts. Enjoyable enough, although the most memorable bit is Hans' theme from whichever prior movie WW appeared in before her own full length movie,

Dunston Checks In (Miles Goodman) - Can't go too far wrong with a bit of Goodman, although it's not quite as good Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Indecent Proposal (John Barry) - Typical lush and sultry Barry. Nuff said.

Nim's Island (Patrick Doyle) - Much better than I remember adventure score from Doyle, even if his main theme never matches the catchiness of his earlier efforts.

Mulan (Jerry Goldsmith) - Fortunate to have a copy of the Academy promo, this really needs Intrada or Disney to put out properly. One of Jerry's finest later scores, absolutely terrific stuff and his arrangements of the songs are splendid too, although it always felt faintly disappointing that the Suite from Mulan always gets trotted out at concerts as a Goldsmith piece, but actually is mostly Matthew Wilder's songs. Ah well.

OK, that's way too much...

NP: Around the World in 80 Days by Victor Young. Fun!

I personally can't get enough of the Williams/Mutter collaborations. Across the Stars has gotten a lot of play from me in anticipation of Williams in Vienna. I'm frothing at the mouth, gnawing at the bit, whatever. I want it!

I think considering this year was likely the one chance I had to see Williams, my inner Veruca Salt can be forgiven.

This is all leading to a new-found appreciation for Anne-Sophie. Don't get me wrong, I liked her before. But it has deepened. She really is one touched by genius. Also, her style and Williams' are different enough to be interesting. Although there is that moment in Presenting the Hook that I would love to hear Mutter recreate. There is narrative purpose to the raggedness of that moment in that film, but it does show a Williams precedent in appreciating this style of playing.

Also the way he looks at her after they finish a performance, I can't stop talking about it. He has to burn her. When they said "Kill her with kindness", this must be what they meant.

I feel like I am seeing the culmination of a narrative in which Anne-Sophie, a corrupt classical musician, is changed for the better, and on the inside, by the soul of the one pure man who still believes in her.

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Wonder Woman (Rupert Gregson-Williams) - One of the more middling Marvel efforts.

Wonder Woman is DC, not Marvel.

But that's ok, if you're not that into super-hero stuff.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Wonder Woman is DC, not Marvel.

But that's ok, if you're not that into super-hero stuff.

You’re quite right. My bad. Of course she was in the Superman vs Batman. 

Africa

JB - Born free (OST)

JB - Out of Africa (OST)

JB - Diamonds are forever Expanded 

Neo Noir mood

JW - Sleepers - OST
JW - Catch Me If You Can - OST, without the songs
JW - Minority Report - Expanded

Defiance - JNH

Very dramatic and touching, with some amazing violin solos.

Last Airbender - JNH

To this day I find hard to believe that Howard managed to write a score as good for a movie as terrible as this.

Avengers: Infinity War - Alan Silvestri

Much better than I remembered. Forge is an exceptional action track.

On 8/8/2020 at 1:05 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

The Avengers (no not that one, the Joel McNeely one) - easily a top 5 McNeely score, a terrific mix of big orchestral fun and a nod to the 60's original style, with a great version of the original Laurie Johnson theme to cap it off (although McNeely's own main theme is great). Flight of the Mechanical Bees is one of his best and wittiest action cues.

Yes. It's my favourite McNeely. It's not a little bit sexy, and the Main Title oozes class.

So what, if he...er, borrowed  Rimsky-Korsakov? It sounds great.

36 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes. It's my favourite McNeely. It's not a little bit sexy, and the Main Title oozes class.

So what, if he...er, borrowed  Rimsky-Korsakov? It sounds great.

Glad to find another fan of this terrific effort. Shame the film flopped without a trace, although it was pretty bad from what I recall and didn't they chop out a load of the ending or something? I can forgive a bit of Rimsky borrowing, that's the sort of witty allusion that really works well and it's superbly incorporated too, a flashing hint. I do love some Rimsky it has to be said!

Yes. Innovation comes more in the form of a distinctive " sound".

Morricone certainly had it. The recently deceased Billy Goldenberg had it.

THE BEATLES had it!

You may not like it, but Hildur has it- at least in JOKER.