What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Vitamins!

James Horner - The Rocketeer Expanded score

Howard Shore - Fellowship of the ring OST

John Barry - Dances with Wolves Expanded score

:music: Wolf Totem. While far from Horner's finest but it's still a damn solid album showcasing composer's unmistakable dramatic storytelling and an impeccable sense of structure. It's one of the reasons his passing was so painful for me - this score came out just a couple of months before his untimely death. The man had still so much to give. :(

Karol

Airport by Alfred Newman and The Towering Inferno by John Williams... having listened to both of these in close proximity, I realised just how similar in style Williams' TTI title music is to Airport in terms of its jazzy energy, not to mention how energetic Newman's writing remained to the end. It certainly doesn't sound like the work of a composer at the end of his career. Also surprising at how little action writing both scores have overall, with much more emphasis on the romantic aspects and suspenseful/dramatic cues rather than dynamic action writing you might expect. I guess an expanded Airport isn't going to happen any time soon!?

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Wolf Totem. While far from Horner's finest but it's still a damn solid album showcasing composer's unmistakable dramatic storytelling and an impeccable sense of structure. It's one of the reasons his passing was so painful for me - this score came out just a couple of months before his untimely death. The man had still so much to give. :(

Karol

Definitely a quality score!😊

But the film......

One of the most depressing I have ever seen. Which is why I didn't buy the soundtrack. I didn't want to be reminded😞

RAIDERS

Call me crazy but my favorite parts of the score are the first three cues, before the Indy theme even appears.

It contains some of JW most inventive and exotic orchestration.

No real themes, but totally gripping!

12 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

RAIDERS

Call me crazy but my favorite parts of the score are the first three cues, before the Indy theme even appears.

But it does appear! In the first cue even!  3:09

Oh and also, you're crazy!  :D

6 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

But it does appear! In the first cue even!  3:09

Oh and also, you're crazy!  :D

The first FULL and PROMINENT statement is track four, wise ass!😡😁

Much of the score sounds like rejected cues from SW/ ESB.

TLC and TOD both have a unique musical identity and better themes.  Big fan.

16 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

And what a track!  Don't you just wanna shake your hips with those strings at 1:37!  :dance:

Ya know, all the films have highlights , but they NEVER topped that opening sequence from RAIDERS!

13 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Ya know, all the films have highlights , but they NEVER topped that opening sequence from RAIDERS!

Funny enough, I believe the exposition scene in Raiders is my favorite scene in all of the movies.

4 guys in suits talking about the Ark of the Covenant, and it couldn't be any more exhilarating.  Perfect film.

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

I hope you've seen the wonderful film😍😍😍😍

I didnt't actually, I'm not a fan of John Millius. But if you say it's good, I might give it a try someday.

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I didnt't actually, I'm not a fan of John Millius. But if you say it's good, I might give it a try someday.

Omg!

I can't imagine hearing only the soundtrack and never having seen the film.

" Raisuli Attacks" must be seen!

I envy u for getting a chance to see it for the first time!

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Jerry Goldsmith - The Wind and the Lion

Simply amazing. Top 5 Goldsmith in my opinion.

True.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Moderate director who gave composers incredible possibilities.

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

4 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

21 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

23 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=17330&forumID=1&archive=1

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

King of Kings (Tadlow re-recording) by Miklós Rózsa: My first actual listen to this Rózsa epic and I have to say I love it. While I would have preferred a bit more spacious recording, I understand James Fitzpatrick's philosophy of making the mix  and recording a bit drier and crisper in recording studio style rather than a concert hall in the same vein as he did with El Cid both to mimic the original studio conditions and to bring out all the details he wanted.

I do wish for at least a little more space, even "dry space", just for a little more separation between the instruments, but it does sound fine.

And details there are in abundance and I have to take a listen or ten to delve into the intricacies of this sprawling grand soundscape and its melodies although I have to say that The Lord's Prayer theme s among my top 5 Rózsa pieces ever.

A standout track for me as well. 

I have to say that The Lord's Prayer theme s among my top 5 Rózsa pieces ever.

Just listened to it - it's a I Want To Be A Sailor in Balthazar's soundscape! Pretty good indeed.

Is it the last Goldsmith?

It's fun and various! I have the feeling that there are intented references to some old scores of Goldsmith (I noticed the Gremlins rag). 

image.png

Yeah, I can't imagine what that would feel like to watch. Makes me want to pull that out again.

Mitropoulos and Barbirolli and Bernstein, among others, basically conducted until the day they died. I believe Mitropoulos died in the middle of a rehearsal of Mahler's 3rd.

So let's see this Morricone set then! The box does feel premium to hold, the discs are held in well (not just simple cardboard sleeves, a pocket is built up from multiple layers that it can rattle around in just enough so it doesn't have to scratch against the back when pulled out), the design is nice (it's a multilanguage/multiregion set, everything is written in Italian, French and English too, there are nice touches like the movie titles featuring all 3 unless there wasn't an official release in one region, but always starting with the original title in the original language instead of rigidly keeping to the same order for all of them leaving you to wonder where it's from), the interview in the booklet is nice - granted, it's probably one of the first Morricone interview's I've read, I don't know how many of these stories are his "they're all dead"s, but it was interesting to read about how he ran all his melodic ideas by his wife before taking them to the director, not even taking them if she didn't like them, or how he was approached by Kubrick to score Clockwork Orange and he still regrets (well, regretted) that Leone intervened.

D1 - Sergio Leone I

Per un pugno di dollari

After initial fears that there isn't much more to it than the title theme and not all that interesting short cues, it certainly became more engaging with Doppi giochi giving other instruments a workout, L'Inseguimento's thick action and oboe, and the perhaps too lengthy interlude of Tortura whose voices gave me CE3K vibes while the bass, brass and flutes firmly placed it in the West. Then it's a smooth sailing to the end.

Per qualche dollaro in più

Overall perhaps less melodically minded than its two mates in the informal trilogy, but still good stuff to be found here. Especially fascinating are all the tons of little nuggets and elements that'll mature and coalesce into Good, Bad and Ugly a year later.

Twilight New Moon:

Yeah, I know. Twilight. I wanted to give Desplat some love by listening to some of his 'older' scores. Wasn't impressed here, but it was interesting to hear things he would later use in Deathly Hallows appear here and there.

Twilight Eclipse:

I don't know what drained both Desplat and Shore, but these scores are so bland. Shore was doing his thing here, those building clusters of chords or whatever that were a staple of the more suspenseful moments of LotR. There's some themes that come and go, but ultimately it felt like Shore wasn't invested or didn't have much to work with.

D2 - Sergio Leone II

Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (21 track version)

Well... this is more like it, innit? Coming into it having grown up on this planet but never really having heard it all like this, you obviously already know the title theme and the finale... but boy oh boy oh boy is there so much more to love! From Il Tramonto to Il Deserto to La Missione San Antonio to Padre Ramirez to everything with the soldier theme... though different enough renditions of the main theme reassert themselves from time to time, it eases you into this whole different middle section than you expected, and by the end you almost forget the one-two punch of Ecstasy of Gold and The Trio is still coming, making them all the more impactful. Only one complaint about one fatal flaw of this presentation: no film version of Il Triello! When I select stuff to keep on my phone from this set, this disc can just come as is, except I'll replace the track with this:

The "album version" ends so anticlimactically, which is even worse when it's done the final track with no credits reprise. This mashup, however, makes it the middle section and uses the film version as the final one. Also this way there's yet another connection to Per qualche dollaro in più, that being the music box/chimes thing.

The disc does however make place for a bonus track: a 2001 rearrangement for flutes for Andrea Griminelli, and it admittedly is pretty good.

So far the sound quality is as all right as I could have reasonably expected, it seems even if this is just a compilation, they did seek out newer remasters to include instead of just slapping together 40 year old LP masters, which is appreciated. Chewy checked sample tracks from Belmondo scores from a later disc against specialty releases of the same by MusicBox Records, and there wasn't much of a difference in quality at all.

23 minutes ago, Holko said:

The "album version" ends so anticlimactically, which is even worse when it's done the final track with no credits reprise.

One of my favourite scores. The film version of The Trio is included on the GDM release - the CD album is still available and it's the best presentation of the score to date (although I'd love to see a definitive release by a specialty label such as LLL).

How much music does the new Morricone box contain from For a Few Dollars More?

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How much music does the new Morricone box contain from For a Few Dollars More?

8 tracks.

• La Resa Dei Conti
  • Poker D'Assi
  • Osservatori Osservati
  • Il Vizio D'Uccidere
  • Carilion
  • Il Colpo
  • Adio Colonnello
  • Per Qualche Dollaro In Più

A complete GBU would mostly be extended by the lots of little stingers I guess, but I'd sure take it as well!

11 minutes ago, Holko said:

A complete GBU would mostly be extended by the lots of little stingers I guess, but I'd sure take it as well!

There's several alternate cues that differ in instrumentation and structure, which you'll hear by comparing the extended GDM release with the extended EMI release. Who knows what else there is laying in the vaults?

11 minutes ago, Holko said:
  • La Resa Dei Conti
  • Poker D'Assi
  • Osservatori Osservati
  • Il Vizio D'Uccidere
  • Carilion
  • Il Colpo
  • Adio Colonnello
  • Per Qualche Dollaro In Più

That's the same content as the OST.

The extended GDM release of For a Few Dollars More unfortunately had dialogue over most of the additional tracks, so there's definitely room for improvement if proper sources can be found!

Here is a link to a detailed discussion of FAFDM.

Sorry I couldn't provide a clickable link

Screenshot_2020-08-29-12-52-21~2.png

Re: GBU

Yes!

I have it.

There are a few unreleased tracks,." Maria" the most desirable.

But, if you buy GDM and EMI you have all you really NEED!