What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Pemberton's new score for a Netflix doc about the history and current standing of the Paralympic Games (grown to become the world's third largest sporting event). Rock minimalism of the Zimmer/Vangelis school, expertly done but also a bit thin on nutritional value. Still, good to see Pemberton being in steady employ and for what it's worth, writing recognizable stuff, even if it's no more deep than a sports commercial.

D4 - Sergio Leone III

image.png

I'll just do tracklists, it'll be simpler. I couldn't find any release like this - all I know is it wasn't always the most pleasant experience with stereo headphones. Good music though, lots of highlights, if not as narratively satisfying as GBU (but that's a high bar). Divorced from the film, it can never reach the high point of the incredible Harmonica reveal anyway, but Death Rattle/Farewell to Cheyenne doesn't feel like a natural way to end it. Switch them with Man with a Harmonica! Finale does feel finale-like at least. Not sure the Dulce Pontes song version bonus track is really necessary.

The GDM release with its 27 tracks is the most complete to date, as far as I know. As with the expanded releases of GBU, it's a mixture of stereo and mono.

https://open.spotify.com/album/359LpQPT3h2ojch2DGw73W?si=s7QAP26EQVaINHj5XoOhGA

I have no problems with mono, only with wildly unbalanced stereo where one side has all the low end, the other is a cavernous hall and the middle almost phases badly. Or prominent instruments are mixed hard to one side. It may have been fine for the LP setups of the time, but come on.

I used to listen to everything in headphones. I don't know how I listened some of things I did for so long, like the Special Edition Star Wars trilogy. Later, upon giving a shit about sound quality, I was horrified by what I was enjoying.

You just need to buy ones that aren't garbage. Mine are certainly loads better than laptop speakers with background noise and parents whining for me to stop it.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

You just need to buy ones that aren't garbage. Mine are certainly loads better than laptop speakers with background noise and parents whining for me to stop it.

I was referring to the quality of the mastering. I have really nice headphones.

15 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I was referring to the quality of the mastering. I have really nice headphones.

oh

Disc 4!

image.png

...and this is really damn good stuff actually, I absolutely loved it. Dopo l'esplosione is already a great cap to the whole thing but the rerecording is a welcome reprise.

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Disc 4!

image.png

...and this is really damn good stuff actually, I absolutely loved it. Dopo l'esplosione is already a great cap to the whole thing but the rerecording is a welcome reprise.

Favorite score of all time( Nyman's) also!

The Rocketeer OST

Not the expanded remastered terribly mixed version optimized by nutjobs for cranking with the windows down while stuck in traffic on the LA freeway surrounded by a bunch of Impalas with twenty inch blades bumping rap music. The original accept-so-substitutes Horner-approved OST album of perfection.

Disc 5

image.png

Well, I'm not saying it's not good music, at all... just maybe a tad too much of it for what it is. The not always very memorable rags do little to distract from all the very samey main theme statements. I think next time I may get a hankering for it, that Suite might just suffice perfectly.

Leone's done, Disc 6.

image.png

The main takeaway from Sacce&Vanzetti is Here's to you and Speranze di liberta', but I very much liked La Classe operaia va in paradiso. I wouldn't know how to describe it exactly, but somehow it felt more focused and single-minded than repetitive, and maybe it telegraphed that better from the beginning than OUATIA? Indagine's a nice little extra.

5 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've always found it difficult to appreciate this score. It ain't no The Untouchables, that's for sure.

For sure!

Every time someone praises it as " masterpiece" I point them to DePalma!

Weakest Leone/Morricone collaboration.

Not really a score but a tasteful recording of A. Desplat's recent film work (going back to Birth) mixed with a few concert works (more challenging and harmonically interesting than a lot of his film work).

Jerry Goldsmith- The Sand Pebbles (RSO re-recording)

A bit military, with some asian flavour and great and melodic adagios!

The re-recording suits well the richness of this score.

Great discovery! :heart:

Screenshot_20200901-205844_Instagram.jpg

Tenet by Ludwig Göransson

Thor was right. Even on album, this is second-rate Zimmer (right down to the neo-baroque bass lines and everything), with a handful of decent production ideas and none of the Z-man's flair and instincts for drama. The first track is all you'll need. But a better idea would probably be to play Inception instead.

You know, Zimmer's typical affinity for riffing off of Bach/Mozart-esque chord progressions to evoke drama. One of the major themes is essentially one such progression.

1 minute ago, KK said:

You know, Zimmer's typical affinity for riffing off of Bach/Mozart-esque chord progressions to evoke drama. One of the major themes is essentially one such progression.

Chord progression is much different ..

Are you talking about his modern style begun in TRL, where he writes four chord patterns repeated slowly over twelve bars?

Baroque bass lines can be contrapuntual or ground.

No. I'm talking about everything from the likes of The Lion King to King Arthur. Where he likes to harmonically appropriate and "beef-up" Bacchian chorales into his maximalist blockbuster sound.

And yes, I was referring to ground bass, but also its general harmonic style.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Jerry Goldsmith- The Sand Pebbles (RSO re-recording)

A bit military, with some asian flavour and great and melodic adagios!

The re-recording suits well the richness of this score.

Great discovery! :heart:

Screenshot_20200901-205844_Instagram.jpg

I highly recommend you get the original soundtrack albums for these scores .

PATTON is so much better in its originals ( INTRADA has a great twofer).

Jerry's rerecordings lack the finesse, electronics, and punch of posts.

39 minutes ago, KK said:

No. I'm talking about everything from the likes of The Lion King to King Arthur. Where he likes to harmonically appropriate and "beef-up" Bacchian chorales into his maximalist blockbuster sound.

And yes, I was referring to ground bass, but also its general harmonic style.

He pretty much adapted that style from Morricone who got it from Bach!-!-!#

No need to call it a leak; It's already Wednesday in many countries on this planet right now, where the album is out completely legally

Disc 8.

image.png

Violent City is great, just a tad too much of it maybe. Rest are nice bonuses with interesting sounds and textures. Fascinating how Piume d cristallo starts out almost like a "good" flipside of the "evil" Suspiria.

Disc 9.

image.png

Very interesting stuff! Two "Williams movie copies" that are pretty damn far from Williams' approaches. Maybe except for an obvious classical nod in Un uomo nello spazio. ;)

Tenet by Ludwig Göransson

Pass, thanks! There are brief hints at a *potentially* more keeping score in here, but the laborious runtime of the album and the difficulty of the material hinder any of those passing moments from permeating the resounding sense of 'meh' I get out of this. Nonetheless, I admire what Göransson brings to the industry, and look no less forward to his future endeavors. 

The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith

Absolute A! It has been a good long while since I visited this smasher of an adventure score, so leave it to the guys at Art of the Score to rekindle the flame. I took more notice of the atmosphere Goldsmith creates this time around, and hotcha hotcha, is that love theme ever gorgeous!