What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

So after all that Morricone, all that on average very much bittersweet atmosphere (yes, I listened to nothing else while going through the boxset), what's next?

Far and Away

Alien

The BFG

The Bride of Frankenstein (rerecording)

a weird bunch I guess

An all-Kunzel day, starting with these 8 classics albums! (Special effects removed!)

1984-Time Warp

1987-Hollywood's Greatest Hits vol.1

1987-Star Tracks II

1988-A Disney Spectacular

1990-Fantastic Journey

1993-Hollywood's Greatest Hits vol. 2

1994-The Great Fantasy Adventure Album

1996-Symphonic Star Trek

For some reason I stopped posting to this thread around 10 months ago!  But I will rectify that now!

Marc Shaiman - City Slickers II

Not sure what made me spin this one up this morning but man was it like welcoming back an old friend.  Super fun score anchored around a strong main theme, like the best classics from the olden days.  The album flows incredibly well too, very nice presentation.

David Arnold - Stargate (Complete)

My own playlist from the LLL edition.  Just a classic score that I think ages better and better all the time.  This sound quality on the LLL release is stunning and what Arnold created here is one of the best scores of all time.  I love it.

John Williams - War of the Worlds

I feel like this score has an autumnul feel for some reason, so I've spun this one up a few times recently.   I never warmed up to this score back in the day, but lately its been striking my fancy again.  That Ferry track is freaking ACES, man!  Also did anybody else notice JW came up with the Avengers theme 7 years before Silvestri in the "Entrance To Boston" track? :p

Danny Elfman - Batman (Complete)

I think there are two equally valid ways to enjoy this score: The fantastic OST album - one of the best score albums of all time - or a truly complete version with all the tracks from the same high quality source Neil eventually found at WB.  The OST album is a masterpiece of album production, expertly condensing the 80 minute score down to a 55 minute album that flows beautifully and covers the entire essence of the score brilliantly.  But now that we FINALLY have the whole score in great sound quality after 5 attempts, the 80 minute complete score takes you on a different journey than the old score album does.  It's no longer a lean-and-mean-gothic-action-thriller, but a nice, slow ride through this fantasy world with the brilliant action setpieces coming in at just the right time throughout the journey.  I'd never give up one presentation and only have the other, either way is just a great way to experience this score

1 minute ago, Jay said:

John Williams - War of the Worlds

I feel like this score has an autumnal feel for some reason, so I threw this one.  I never warmed up to this score back in the day, but lately its been striking my fancy again.  That Ferry track is freaking ACES, man!

I bought it right around when the movie came out, so it feels like a summer score to me, but I understand why you feel that way. Boston - New England - Autumn is a pretty track-able association.

Also, The Ferry is incredible! Its placement as track 2 is perfect. That whole album is under-rated, however, I will admit that it is sort of difficult to listen to all at once. I always feel super proud when I do it, like I have accomplished something.

Maybe that's the right feeling for this album actually, who knows.

The biggest turnoff with the album is the Morgan Freeman narration.  Great in the film, I don't want it when I'm trying to listen to the music.

I don't think I've really gone back to the OST experience since the sessions leaked.  I find the score plays better in chronological order than the curious choices JW made for this particular OST structure

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The biggest turnoff with the album is the Morgan Freeman narration.  Great in the film, I don't want it when I'm trying to listen to the music.

I don't think I've really gone back to the OST experience since the sessions leaked.  I find the score plays better in chronological order than the curious choices JW made for this particular OST structure

I listened to that album a lot growing up, I was about sixteen when it came out, so it has a lot of nostalgic value to me. Also, I have never heard the sessions so I couldn't say which is better, only that I like the OST just fine.

I used to hate the narration but the cue without it sounds empty to me now. It's like Mako on Conan or Spock on Khan, I thought I wanted it dialogue-free until I got it. I have started to become very fond of "agaynst us".

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

For some reason I stopped posting to this thread around 10 months ago!  But I will rectify that now!

Not sure what made me spin this one up this morning but man was it like welcoming back an old friend.  Super fun score anchored around a strong main theme, like the best classics from the olden days.  The album flows incredibly well too, very nice presentation.

Man that is such a great score, I miss Shaiman scoring movies, although I did love Mary Poppins Returns both songs and score, terrific and charming. City Slickers II will always be special as when I reviewed it for my (now defunct) website, Mr Shaiman was good enough to email me to thank me for my glowing review. I meant every word and still do, great stuff.

NP. Mary Poppins Returns... Nowhere to go but Up... think there's a bit of dust in my eye...

This is probably a controversial opinion but the lyrics to Mary Poppins Returns were awful. Nothing like the wordplay of the Shermans. A Spoonful of Sugar is masterful in the amount of information it conveys, both solid advice and whimsy. There is nothing even close to that in Returns. The most interesting image in the entire film, lyrically, is in The Place Where the Lost Things Go: Spring is like that now/Far beneath the snow/Hiding in the place/Where the lost things go. Almost all the rest of the lyrics simply fill time. Past A Cover is not the Book, their only lesson seems to be 'enjoy yourself'. In musicals, I find the lyrics are dreadfully important. They affect my capacity to appreciate the music. The lyrics to the chimney song were so banal and senseless that they made me physically angry.

Maybe it is just because Mary Poppins is one of my all-time favorite films. It is practically perfect in every way. Not silly, like this. This felt like a Star Wars prequel/sequel. Pretty, but essentially a disaster. Maybe George Lucas helped with these lyrics?

13 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I listened to that album a lot growing up, I was about sixteen when it came out, so it has a lot of nostalgic value to me. Also, I have never heard the sessions so I couldn't say which is better, only that I like the OST just fine.

What we get into when we are an an impressionable age definitely plays a huge factor in music enjoyment for a long time after, if not forever.  For me when i got into film scores when i was 14 or so the fresh new JW score was Jurassic Park; I was 25 and long past thinking everything JW touched was gold when I saw/heard WOTW in the summer of 2005

13 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I used to hate the narration but the cue without it sounds empty to me now. It's like Mako on Conan or Spock on Khan, I thought I wanted it dialogue-free until I got it. I have started to become very fond of "agaynst us".

Oh man I strongly prefer the dialogue-free version of TWOK's finale as well.  Sure it's jarring at first when you are used to the album version but that goes away in time.  I don't ever need to hear any of those cues with narration over them ever again, unless I'm watching the film

10 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Man that is such a great score, I miss Shaiman scoring movies, although I did love Mary Poppins Returns both songs and score, terrific and charming. City Slickers II will always be special as when I reviewed it for my (now defunct) website, Mr Shaiman was good enough to email me to thank me for my glowing review. I meant every word and still do, great stuff.

Wow, that's really cool he did that!  I'm honestly not terribly familiar with Shaiman's work; Other than the two Slickers scores and the South Park movie, I don't think I've ever listened to any of his other music outside the film!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

What we get into when we are an an impressionable age definitely plays a huge factor in music enjoyment for a long time after, if not forever.  For me when i got into film scores when i was 14 or so the fresh new JW score was Jurassic Park; I was 25 and long past thinking everything JW touched was gold when I saw/heard WOTW in the summer of 2005

This is very true. Almost all of my favorite scores are ones I grew up with and it is absolutely the reason Hook is my favorite score of all time. I watched that movie practically every day growing up. I could close my eyes right now and watch it on the backs of my eyelids.

1 minute ago, blondheim said:

This is probably a controversial opinion but the lyrics to Mary Poppins Returns were awful. Nothing like the wordplay of the Shermans. A Spoonful of Sugar is masterful in the amount of information it conveys, both solid advice and whimsy. There is nothing even close to that in Returns. The most interesting image in the entire film, lyrically, is in The Place Where the Lost Things Go: Spring is like that now/Far beneath the snow/Hiding in the place/Where the lost things go. Almost all the rest of the lyrics simply fill time. Past A Cover is not the Book, their only lesson seems to be 'enjoy yourself'. In musicals, I find the lyrics are dreadfully important. They affect my capacity to appreciate the music. The lyrics to the chimney song were so banal and senseless that they made me physically angry.

Maybe it is just because Mary Poppins is one of my all-time favorite films. It is practically perfect in every way. Not silly, like this. This felt like a Star Wars prequel/sequel. Pretty, but essentially a disaster. Maybe George Lucas helped with these lyrics?

I enjoy the MPR lyrics just fine, they seem plenty fun and witty to me (and that's coming from someone who equally enjoys Sondheim!) but whatever the case I still find the music absolutely glorious. It's difficult to judge when the original Mary Poppins songs are basically standards now, but I think Shaiman and Whitman acquitted themselves pretty well all things considered and I even (even more controversially!) think I enjoy the sequel more than the original, although I don't really know why as the original is a deserved classic. Glad to have both... how's that?!

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I enjoy the MPR lyrics just fine, they seem plenty fun and witty to me (and that's coming from someone who equally enjoys Sondheim!) but whatever the case I still find the music absolutely glorious. It's difficult to judge when the original Mary Poppins songs are basically standards now, but I think Shaiman and Whitman acquitted themselves pretty well all things considered and I even (even more controversially!) think I enjoy the sequel more than the original, although I don't really know why as the original is a deserved classic. Glad to have both... how's that?!

Sondheim shouldn't be in this reply. He doesn't deserve that ;)

Otherwise, to each their own.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow, that's really cool he did that!  I'm honestly not terribly familiar with Shaiman's work; Other than the two Slickers scores and the South Park movie, I don't think I've ever listened to any of his other music outside the film!

Yeah, he was really sweet. I used to be his friend on Facebook but I think with his musicals he got too well known and decided to make his profile private, which is totally understandable.

If you want to check out some of his other work, I highly recommend Addams Family (his Rota-esque main theme is superb). The original City Slickers is fun but the sequel is a much more polished and engaging work I find so you're not missing a huge amount. North has an insanely catchy main theme put through loads of variations. The American President is a good companion to Dave by JNH. And if you like his songwriting, Bombshell (from the TV show Smash) and the stage version of Catch Me If You Can are both great.

2 minutes ago, blondheim said:

Sondheim shouldn't be in this reply. He doesn't deserve that ;)

Otherwise, to each their own.

Haha. Shaiman writes catchier tunes ;-)

Oh I have the first City Slickers OST album as well; I'd love for the specialty labels to show Shaiman some love and do new versions of both scores!

I should have bought the Addams Family expansion from LLL before it went OOP.  Oh well

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh I have the first City Slickers OST album as well; I'd love for the specialty labels to show Shaiman some love and do new versions of both scores!

I should have bought the Addams Family expansion from LLL before it went OOP.  Oh well

I don't know if there would be much more for City Slickers 2 but the original could certainly do with an expansion. And yeah, the LLL Addams Family was worth getting if you can find it although the original album has a pretty decent selection and sounds just fine.

3 minutes ago, blondheim said:

I... but... I don't even know how to respond, I am too sad for you ;)

NP: Company. :-p (and earlier Mahler 7, Gielen)

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Probably Sweeney Todd. For an unoriginal choice. Although the one I listen to most often is probably Merrily.

Sunday in the Park with George for me. I don't think any other piece of musical theatre has ever come close. Probably Follies after that, but Sweeney is near and dear to me as well.

I am obviously an enthusiast. I love seeing the love for Merrily. I am curious what recording. I only listen to the OBC. I love Sondheim but I don't believe I have enjoyed a single revision to his shows over the years. Except perhaps Road Show.

I just listened to that one tonight! It is one of the best cast albums of all time. Zero doubt. The songs were written for those performers specifically and you can tell. Victoria Mallory was so good that Sondheim has said that he damned all other girls who play it to be inferior because he so wrote it for her capabilities.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe because I've posted the AFI best 250 scores few weeks ago, and you saw 'City Slickers' (I) on the list!

I've purchased the CD few weeks ago, still waiting for it.

20 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

(and earlier Mahler 7, Gielen)

I just saw this. Great choice! Do you have the Vol.6 of his series of box sets?

The 7th is so interesting. I would love to know what your interpretation is of that Finale! Although this is maybe the wrong thread ;)

Some of the scores I listened on the last few days:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (recording sessions)

Meh. Gia created a couple of decent themes, but their variations throughout the score weren't as inspired. And the action music isn't that good, unfortunately.

Spider-Man: Far from Home

That's a better Giacchino score! All of the themes are great, their variations are interesting and the action music is top-notch. 

Godzilla (1998)

Loud score with some dull moments, but with some incredible action music and amazing brass writing, specially on the end.

The World is not Enough

Also great! Arnold was the top of his game during the late 90s.

Michael Giachino - Star Trek (Complete)

Sometimes when I'm working I need to throw on an old favorite I know very well just to power me through a project, and this was this morning's choice.  I forgot how much I loved Tilton's drum additions to Giacchino's original cues.  And I even noticed a little passage that never stood out before for me, in Frozen Dinner.  Good stuff.

Michael Giacchino - Alias (Season 1 OST)

My wife and I have been watching this show again and I've been impressed with Giacchino's music in the first season; I don't think it made much of an impression on my 20 years ago, I really starting noticing his work with LOST and then the great post-LOST seasons of Alias (seasons 4 and 5)'s scores by Chris Tilton.  Unfortunately the Season 1 OST is a let down, with many of the highlights I noticed when watching that I expected to be here just aren't.  I wish a label could revisit these scores and give us 4CD sets for each season!

Jake Kaufman - Shantae: Risky's Revenge

Fun retro score, but as I go through each entry, I still like Pirate's Curse (the first game I played and score I heard) the best

Nobuo Uematsu, Masashi Hamauzu, Mitsuto Suzuki, etc - Final Fantasy VII Remake

I've been loving this score ever since it came out.  The OST is difficult because there was so much music written for this game and I wouldn't say they necessarily did the best job arranging it for an album; I fairly quick pared down the 8 1/2 hour OST to 6 1/2 hours and want to cut more, because the highlights in this score are amazing

Huh, it looks like Square Enix had all the score videos that were on youtube taken down, bummer

I'll just have to type out some highlight tracks for you instead of embedding youtube videos

Midgar, City of Mako

Bombing Mission

any of the Let The Battles Begin! tracks (except the techno one)

Main Theme of FFVII - Sector 7 Undercity

On Our Way

Flowers Blooming In The Church

Under The Rotting Pizza

Abzu

The Turk's Theme - Office

Midgar Expressway

One-Winged Angel - Rebirth

Hollow

Credits

Just now, bruce marshall said:

Did you buy FAMILY VALUES recently, on EBAY?

No I bought it when the movie came out, I'm a big fan of the two Addams Family movies.

I listened to Amistad twice in a row.... ama?

On 9/10/2020 at 9:02 AM, Holko said:

The Bride of Frankenstein (rerecording)

I don’t really go back to the re-recording much since the LLL came out.  Obviously the film recordings pale in an audio comparison but there is a magic and a life to them that I find lacking in the re-recording.

3 hours ago, blondheim said:

I have a Passion of the Christ with a hole drilled through it and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Only one hole?😗

I always replace the jewel case.

If it's a notch I store it clean side out.

It's only right.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:10 AM, Bespin said:

An all-Kunzel day, starting with these 8 classics albums! (Special effects removed!)

1984-Time Warp

1987-Hollywood's Greatest Hits vol.1

1987-Star Tracks II

1988-A Disney Spectacular

1990-Fantastic Journey

1993-Hollywood's Greatest Hits vol. 2

1994-The Great Fantasy Adventure Album

1996-Symphonic Star Trek

Completing my top 10 with:

1999- The Great movie scores from Spielberg movies

2005- Three choral suites by Miklos Rosza

Over the last few days, I couldn't stop listening and re-listening one of my favorite albums ever: the bootleg with the complete score for The Postman, by JNH.

It's one of the best scores by him from the 90s. It contains everything, from more melancholic, emotional parts to rousing, grandiose, patriotic music. 

Since the movie was a box office bomb, I don't think it'll be expanded anytime soon. But if you manage to get this score in complete form, you won't regret. 2h+ with the best "JNH-isms".