What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I think that I'm the only person whom I know that actually likes THE POSTMAN.

The score is, indeed, great.

It's a good, not great score.

Another pop-ish but sympathetic Pemberton that reveals a resourceful musical mind. It's a Netflix movie, so the ragtag style is a given, but Pemberton is one of the few who can still give such stuff style and personality.

John Williams - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (LLL disc 1 "Climbing the Mountain" to "End Titles")

Jerry Goldsmith - Under Fire

David Newman - The Flintstones

8 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Mike Rose

On 9/17/2020 at 8:39 AM, Holko said:

Nick Rose!

On 9/17/2020 at 8:57 AM, Disco Stu said:

Nicholas Rose is a pretty great name actually

On 9/15/2020 at 11:25 PM, Jay said:

I'm honestly not terribly familiar with Shaiman's work; Other than the two Slickers scores and the South Park movie, I don't think I've ever listened to any of his other music outside the film!

Speechless is a fun little score that holds up well on its own. I'm glad I purchased it from LLL before it went OOP!

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I love the expansion, but the OST really works.

I never saw the need for the FSM.

It seemed like they just decoupled tracks from the suite out to present it c and c.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's the best release of that score?

You really want to know.

It's horrible except for the title track.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

John Williams - Close Encounters of the Third Kind (LLL disc 1 "Climbing the Mountain" to "End Titles")

Jerry Goldsmith - Under Fire

David Newman - The Flintstones

If you trace the history of European/Jewish emigres to Hollywood; Rozsa would be shortened to ROSE.

MIKLOS to Mike.

Hence MIKE ROSE. but also ROSS. Many immigrants chose two first names I.e Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis, Ross Martin.

😁

You Were Never Really Here by Jonny Greenwood ---- A moody (and muddy) synth scape. Not for the faint of heart.

Airlines by Alexandre Desplat ---- What a fantastic release, entirely new arrangements to me. Very impressed with the concert piece! Will return to this very soon I expect.

Evolution by John Powell 

City Slickers by Marc Shaiman ---- Had a lot of fun with this, first time!

Fruitvale Station by Ludwig Goransson 

The Secret Garden by Dario Marianelli ---- In one ear and out the other, pleasant but empty.

Random Acts of Flyness by Emile Mosseri ---- Cannot wait for Kajillionaire later this month.

and Strange Angel: Season One by Daniel Hart

Recommended for those interested in Hart's progression as a composer. Certainly extended his voice in my estimations, well-developed orchestral textures and occasional Britell-like trappings (think Succession but less showy). Among other things, a comfortably concise 29 minute release. Give it a go!

https://open.spotify.com/album/2Ai91ptsT4jPSt3gDh48WE?si=jyGMDEfWT22tEJPmGPED4w

I've been revisiting Marianelli's score. And while it lacks a stronger central idea, there's actually a lot of lovely Debussy-esque colour to it. It's definitely a grower.

Alan Silvestri - The Abyss

Alan Silvestri - Father of the Bride

Alan Silvestri - Contact

Dirk Brossé - Alan Silvestri at Film Fest Gent (2005)

and now....

Mike Rose - Three Choral Suites from Ben-Hur, Quo Vadis and The King of Kings (dir. Erich Kunzel)

Getting into autumn with Mars Attacks! OST

One of Elfman's best. It is good enough to handle expansion but I still love the original program. Gotta love Tom Jones. I am going to keep the Tom Jones/Danny Elfman vibe going and spin Edward Scissorhands as well

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oooh man that's a great score I haven't listened to in a while. Thanks for the reminder! 

What about SPIDEY?😔

2 hours ago, blondheim said:

Getting into autumn with Mars Attacks! OST

.....Gotta love Tom Jones.....

Oh my!😒

28 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Night Crossing (Jerry Goldsmith) - I always forget how great this score is and how outright enjoyable it is. A great mix of Capricorn One and bold, tuneful 80s Jerry orchestral loveliness (synth free, I think). Always amused that it contains that that oscillating little string motif that appears in pretty much every bit of James Horner scoring in the 80s, plus the descending brass/woodwind motif... I always thought they original Hornerisms, but no... It's all over his Star Trek scores in particular.

It's also notable for its unashamed heart on-its-sleeve (very Horner/Williams) that was not a Goldsmith routine. It really sighs in 'The Patches' (above).

Asterix at the Olympic Games (Frédéric Talgorn) - Matthew Sweet played a track from this score on Sound of Cinema on Radio 3 as part of his Olympians episode and I think it was my favourite track from the entire show. Bold, brassy, tuneful, absolutely terrific. The other Asterix scores by Philippe Rombi, amongst others, are pretty great too.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:01 PM, Loert said:

El Cid is now my jam. I just love the power in this track:

The power of this track is really felt very much. It reminds me of soundtracks from 90/80.

The Sea Wolf (Korngold) - Re-recording of the complete score conducted by Rumon Gamba. I seemed to remember this being more dark and mysterious, but as with most Korngold it's suitably plush, although considerably more restrained than his most famous works.

The Orphanage (Fernando Velázquez) - Still surprised this got a re-recording given it's not that old, but an enjoyably spooky horror score. One I need to listen to again to appreciate more I think.

The Edge (Jerry Goldsmith) - My comments about meeting Jerry in London years ago reminded me to give this a spin. The main theme is great and the out of phase turboprop aircraft trombone motif are both memorable although this one doesn't quite excite me as much as other scores of the period.

Astérix aux Jeux Olympiques (Frédéric Talgorn) - Another great Talgorn score well worth digging out (and 7Digital have it for sale for a fiver). Tuneful, exciting, fun, lovely stuff.

Jojo Rabbit (Michael Giacchino) - Having only recently seen the film I realised I never got the score. It suffers somewhat from having too many short tracks and some forgettable comedy cues, but it's a nice change from his OTT bombast. His Empire of the Sun-esque scoring of the end of the film (surely a deliberate illusion) is particularly lovely.

Kajillionaire by Emile Mosseri

A lovely main theme, developed over the course of a concise album (>40 minutes) through an ensemble of woodwinds, sweet synths and vocal dressings. Just wonderful how Mosseri sounds nothing like any other composer working today (or ever, for that matter). His musical voice has an opportunity to expand here, and it sounds very much like him. This will surely be one of my favourites looking back on this year. Highly recommended for a taste of a pleasant little new score!

Also:
Chain Reaction by Jerry Goldsmith

Uncertain by Daniel Hart -- A nice and close work with some folk-y sensibilities. 

The Master by Jonny Greenwood

Revo - Bravely Default

After hearing some music on a podcast as well as the hosts raving about the score, I checked this out and instantly fell in love with it, and now it's one of my favorite scores of all time

Manaka Kataoka, Yasuaki Iwata, Soshi Abe, and Hajime Wakai - The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild

I've been listening to this a lot since starting the game back up this summer.  It's a lot of music to take in, so I made a playlist of just the relaxing music, and a playlist of just the action/battle music, and often listen to those

John Williams - Hook (Recording Sessions leak)

I love all the clean endings and openings we'd never heard otherwise, and the great sound quality compared to the old boots.  Plus that climax of The End of Hook (and the entire score) is legendary.  Too bad "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" is only the backing organ and not the main melody line though, and there's so much stuff still missing

Lalo Schifrin - Earth Star Voyager

I got sick of waiting for a score release to ever happen so I ripped all the music out of the youtube video and have been listening to that.  Even covered with dialogue and sound effects, this is just a fantastic score and I hope Intrada can rescue some day while I'm alive

4 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

The Sea Wolf (Korngold) - Re-recording of the complete score conducted by Rumon Gamba. I seemed to remember this being more dark and mysterious, but as with most Korngold it's suitably plush, although considerably more restrained than his most famous works.

Not complete. You'd have to go with Morgan/Stromberg for that. I usually prefer the Gamba, because it's mostly long enough, and, more importantly, doesn't have Russian singers. Or, when I'm content with a shorter selection, nothing beats the Gerhardt suites.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Not complete. You'd have to go with Morgan/Stromberg for that. I usually prefer the Gamba, because it's mostly long enough, and, more importantly, doesn't have Russian singers. Or, when I'm content with a shorter selection, nothing beats the Gerhardt suites.

Did you perhaps mean The Sea Hawk? If so, you are quite correct, but I don't think Morgan and Stromberg have ever recorded The Sea Wolf. However, I do like their recording of The Sea Hawk, although I think the more plush Chandos recording works better with Korngold's sound. The more lean Kojian Sea Hawk on Varese is pretty great too.

22 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Did you perhaps mean The Sea Hawk?

I should learn to read. Also explains why you wrote "more restrained than his most famous works"…

22 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

If so, you are quite correct, but I don't think Morgan and Stromberg have ever recorded The Sea Wolf. However, I do like their recording of The Sea Hawk, although I think the more plush Chandos recording works better with Korngold's sound. The more lean Kojian Sea Hawk on Varese is pretty great too.

I like the M&S version, too, but as you said, Gamba's sound is more fitting, and the Russian vocals are really hard to take. And you're right re the Kojian, but given the alternates we have these days, it's become a bit middle of the road for me.

Gamba, the original recording, and the Gerhardt suite are the only version of The Sea Wolf I have (and know).

John Williams - The Post (OST + FYC combo edit)

I like this score!  It's only I rarely listen to, but when the mood strikes me it really hits the spot!  I especially like the synthy opening track, the super fun source music, and then how it slowly builds up to the exciting climax.  The finale and end credits track borders on outstaying it's welcome, but when the whole score is so short it's hard to really complain about that.  Sometimes it's really nice to get a whole story told in a nice short album.

Elmer & Peter Bernstein - Wild Wild West (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Ooof, this didn't do it for me.  The main theme is GREAT, no problem there, and there are some fun and exciting moments throughout.  But it seems like no care was put into structuring all this music into a listenable album at all.  Why are there polkas and waltzes in the main program instead in the bonus tracks?  It really grinds the narrative to a hault and then the album never really recovers.  Too bad.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Elmer & Peter Bernstein - Wild Wild West (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Ooof, this didn't do it for me.  The main theme is GREAT, no problem there, and there are some fun and exciting moments throughout.  But it seems like no care was put into structuring all this music into a listenable album at all. .mm

Uh...Jay

Did you miss the OT on this release?

See my comments. I warned you#😉😁

Nothing I would ever read on any message board forum would cause me to not listen to something at all.  I like to listen to all film music that exists at least once to hear it for myself

I'm sure I checked it out back in the day when I became a JW fan and gobbled everything up, but I'm basically for some form of new release to hopefully come some day (maybe for the 50th anniversary next year?) to dig back into it again

I don't really like musicals though

Joe Hisaishi - A Tale of Ululu's Wonderful Forest

Nice score!  Very catch main theme

Yasunori Mitsuda - Chrono Trigger

One of my favorite scores of all time

Bear McCreary - Animal Crackers

Had to give this one another chance as enough months have passed now.  The main theme is great as is the various ways it is arranged throughout the score.  But the overly frenetic overture and various other tracks are too much for me and hinder my enjoyment of the rest of the score.  Oh well.