What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Jerry Goldsmith - Legend

Weird, but strangely great score from the late master. I'd love a reissue of the complete score with good sound quality.

David Arnold - The Chronicles of Narnia 3

Decent, albeit still generic fantasy score. There's some great moments and some epic choral writing in Into Battle, but HGW's scores for the franchise were much more memorable.

You need a fair amount of tolerance for *world music* to appreciate this post-Gladiator Horner (for an expensive, but extremely boring do-goody film with Angelina Jolie), but apart from a really hideous 10-minute action-cue it's rather appealing in a soothing sort of way. Horner combines orchestra (pathos) and a wide range of regional flutes and percussions as well as a female vocalist. Unfortunately there is far too little of that (Track II), in the orchestral-dramatic pieces that make up the rest, the ethnic styles are again only a perfume that supports a purely western musical POV. It's basically negligible, but as trip from Africa to Eastern Europe, it offers a good deal of moods not quite so typical of Horner (of which the sad Chechnya theme is the most memorable).

Jerry Goldsmith - Air Force one (expanded)

Jerry Goldsmith - The Blue Max (complete re-recording)

Jerry Goldsmith - The Sand Pebbles (re-recording)

Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek First Contact (complete Motion picture Score)

The Mummy (Goldsmith) - Love it.

The Mummy Returns - I haven't returned to this in over a year I think. I had fun but I didn't like how much the focus and tone moved (almost nondescript horror section, part dominated by the adventurous theme, part dominated by the sweeping Medjai theme, big epic battle with over the top choir and all) - Shore could pull this progression off in 10 hours, feels rushed and disjointed in 2. I threw out a good number of less interesting cues from the Intrada while listening, I'll have to see sometime how that's improved it.

Harold Faltermeyer - Tango and Cash

I love this score!  The 2 main themes are so goofy and fun

Nobuo Uematsu, Masashi Hamauzu, Mitsuto Suzuki, etc - Final Fantasy VII Remake (playlist of cues in the game that weren't on the OST album)

Good stuff

Michael Giacchino - Spider-man Far From Home

I love this score!  Great action music

Ludwig Goransson - The Mandalorian (best-of playlist)

I love this score!  Can't wait for season 2

Kajillionaire by Emile Mosseri

It's a small drama score without much real meat to its bones, but is a testament Mosseri's unique sound and ability to bring colours together. "Infinite Love" is lovely, and also the only cue you really need from the album.

On 9/24/2020 at 11:38 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

Not complete. You'd have to go with Morgan/Stromberg for that. I usually prefer the Gamba, because it's mostly long enough, and, more importantly, doesn't have Russian singers. Or, when I'm content with a shorter selection, nothing beats the Gerhardt suites.

Yeah, those Russians... they could have hired an amateur choir when they got back to the USA with a better result.

The Kojian is ace.

Medieval joust!

James Horner - Braveheart Expanded

Jerry Goldsmith - First Knight Expanded

John Barry - Lion in Winter OST

John Williams - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Expanded

Battle, chevalier, knight, medieval, war, warhorse ...

Occult Forces...

John Williams - HP and the sorcerer's stone Expanded

Danny Elfman - Sleepy Hollow OST

Marc Shaiman - The Addams Family Expanded

John Williams - Witches of Eastwick OST

George Martin - Live and let die Expanded

John Williams - Temple of Doom Expanded 

Seventh Son (Marco Beltrami) - Very entertaining action/adventure score, although like most of Beltrami's scores, there's not ma great deal of thematic material that sticks in the mind. Enjoyable while it's on, but I'd be hard pressed to remember much about it afterwards.

I think @Thor mentioned it, but also had the opportunity to hear the World Soundtrack Awards: Tribute to the Film Composer album which has to be just about the most esoteric and eclectic compilation I've heard in a while, but it holds together surprisingly well. The suite from Yared's rejected Troy is very unexpected and nice to have. It makes me wonder whether it would be easier (in a strictly relative sense!) to have it re-recorded than try to release the original tracks. It really is a sensational score and not nearly as old fashioned sounding as some of the comments make it sound (you'd never mistake it for Rozsa or North or Waxman etc.), indeed it's no more old fashioned than some of JW's scores... but it just doesn't sound like Hans Zimmer. The suite from Succession (a TV show I just can't warm to, despite the accolades) is terrific, love Britell's main theme. And the titular suite arranged by JW that rounds it out is great fun... I think I got all but a couple of excerpts, so my film music credentials are safe for another year. Probably.

:music: Godzilla by Alexandre Desplat. One of the best 2010's blockbuster scores. The score nails the earnest and brooding tone of the  Japanese original while also somehow giving us traditional bombast of Hollywood and, at the same time, still managing to fulfill the requirements of the Zimmer era stylistics. Clever.

Karol

We Are Who We Are by Devonté Hynes

Another great popular musician crossover success story. It's largely a playful piano/synth collage of John Adams-esque riffs and patterns coloured by Hynes' unique sensibilities. Definitely a refreshing autumn entry for 2020.

The Glorias by Elliot Goldenthal

Meh.

Like Jessie, this week, I have been mostly listening to

1/ LICENCE TO KILL the complete score. It's a real eye-opener, isn't it? Lots of great stuff left off of the OST, in favour of all that calypso gobshite. Ho, hum.

The sound is not as good as it could be, and I suspect this is (looks around, to make sure no-one is watching) a boot - ssshh! Don't let that distract you, though. This is top-notch Bond music, and one of my favourite Kamen scores.

2/ SUPERMAN the 40th Anniversary.

I can't add anything to what has already been said about it. Listen to it, and you'll realise why it's my #2 all-time favourite JW.

John Williams - War of the Worlds

Wanted to re-familiarize myself with the OST presentation and edits after the announcement of the new edition.  I don't like anything about this presentation of the score, all the decisions are weird to me.

Daniel Pemberton - Birds of Prey

Anybody else notice that one of the tracks feature the sounds of a man snoring?

I gave this score a spin when it came out and it did nothing for me, I decided to revisit it randomly and I still didn't like it.  I haven't seen the film, but I don't think that will change things, but we'll see!

Mark Macina - Twister (Complete)

I listened after I saw the Eddie Van Halen news.  Great score - and this time I listened to the EVH end title instead of just the Mark Mancina one!

I never run out of alcohol!

Seriously, our "October crisis" was really a big thing. That's why I added a link... well for those who are interested in things that happened outside the USA...