What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 10/7/2020 at 4:27 PM, Bespin said:

I never run out of alcohol!

Seriously, our "October crisis" was really a big thing. That's why I added a link... well for those who are interested in things that happened outside the USA...

I vaguely remember it was about seceding and declaring itself an autonomous state.

On 10/7/2020 at 2:41 PM, Bespin said:

As we commemorate the 50th anniversary of the October Crisis in Québec...

L’image contient peut-être : 1 personne

Harrison Ford looks like he is using the same orange makeup as You know who.

Btw YOLT is in my TOP Five scores of ALL TIME!😍

I don't really post here much anymore, but here's a sampling of soundtracks I've been listening to this week.

John Williams

Lincoln OST

Amistad OST

The River (Intrada)

The Cowboys (Varese)

Jack Marshall

Thunder Road (LLL)

Dimitri Tiomkin

Red River (Stromberg recording)

Duel in the Sun (Tadlow recording)

Aaron Copland

The Red Pony (Intrada)

Jerome Moross

The Jayhawkers (Intrada)

Elmer Bernstein

True Grit (LLL)

Yo chill

Al Silvestri - Father of the bride

Al Silvestri - Contact

James Horner - Apollo 13 (composer's album assembly)

James Horner - Bicentennial Man

James Horner - Fields of dreams

James Horner - The Rocketeer (remast OST)

The Rocketeer by James Horner

Black Beauty by Danny Elfman

Robin Hood The Prince of Thieves (Intrada 4 disc set)

Hard Rain by Christopher Young

Priest by Christopher Young

Henry V (Patrick Doyle) - Surely destined to remain one of the finest debut scores of all time, it remains one of his finest efforts. I've always been partial to the rapturous "Wooing of Katherine", which is a prototypical Doyle melody. Just a shame that the sound quality of the album leaves a bit to be desired, surprising given that it's conducted by a world class conductor (albeit Simon Rattle wasn't quite so famous in 1989). Maybe it'll get a remastering sometime. Is it me, or does the sudden increase in tempo during the orchestral interlude during "Non Nobis Domine" not feel quite right?

The Cardinal (Kritzerland) - Jerome Moross

It's unmistakably Moross, but honestly I don't think it's his strongest work.  With his skills as both composer and orchestrator, it's of course a pleasant and engaging listen, but the best material here he has done better elsewhere.  I found the waltz theme for Vienna pretty weak.  The quality of the performance and recording are first-rate for a score of this age.

"The Cardinal's Faith" is my pick for the best cue on the soundtrack.

John Williams - Far and Away (La la land)

Nice score

Jerry Goldsmith - The Swarm (LP via LLL disc 2)

You know what, I'm starting to warm up to this score!

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (Complete)

One of my favorite scores of all time - one of those scores where I love every second of every cue, no need to change a thing

John Williams - War of the Worlds (Intrada complete)

Good stuff, I really like the Epilogue cue.  Love the new sound quality of the Intrada release

Revo - Bravely Default: Flying Fairy

I love this score

Mark Mancina - Assassins (boot)

Yeesh I dunno why I used to consider this a high priority for the labels.  A lot of nondescript noodling only occsionally peppered with haunting vocals, acoustic guitar, speed-esque percussion, and some other old Mancina-isms.  At 70 minutes it wore out its welcome quickly

An autumnal line-up...

Dolores Claiborne (Elfman) (expanded Varese)

The Frighteners (Elfman)

The Trouble With Harry (Herrmann) [Varese re-recording]

It's canceled, Rowling is toxic now.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Jerry Goldsmith - The Swarm (LP via LLL disc 2)

You know what, I'm starting to warm up to this score!

It's a bit excessive at this length, but the action cues pack some serious punch. Love the new mix, it's trombone heaven.

Wind & Starship Troopers (Basil Poledouris) - I think these are probably my  two favourite Basil scores. Wind is a fantastic mix of synths and orchestra that I can’t get enough of. And I’m not really into synth scores but the textures he produced are perfect for sailing (I live on a tiny island and have sailed a lot but alas never had the chance to listen to Wind while doing so). The orchestra comes in at just the right points to heighten the drama. If I remember rightly he was a big fan of sailing (or was it surfing?!) so perhaps felt extra inspired. Starship Troopers was the first major Basil score to come out after I started collecting and I’ve always loved it. As I commented elsewhere, this is a score where the original album (which I put on today) functions like a tone poem with all the highlights but the full score fleshes things out. Neither has a weak moment.

Jaws - Having recently indulged in some Sony wh1000xm4 headphones recently it’s been fun to listen to some classic scores to luxuriate in the amazing quality. Gotta say that Jaws sounds terrific despite its age. Absolutely thrilling. 

11 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I think these are probably my  two favourite Basil scores. Wind is a fantastic mix of synths and orchestra that I can’t get enough of. And I’m not really into synth scores but the textures he produced are perfect for sailing (I live on a tiny island and have sailed a lot but alas never had the chance to listen to Wind while doing so). The orchestra comes in at just the right points to heighten the drama. If I remember rightly he was a big fan of sailing (or was it surfing?!) so perhaps felt extra inspired.

hqdefault.jpg :thumbup:

20 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Jaws - Having recently indulged in some Sony wh1000xm4 headphones recently it’s been fun to listen to some classic scores to luxuriate in the amazing quality. Gotta say that Jaws sounds terrific despite its age. Absolutely thrilling. 

Which recording is it?

Karol

A couple of recent Discord listening sessions for myself and @Holko, with @SteveMc joining us later on today:

Succession by Nicholas Britell (a "greatest hits" highlight playlist)

Super fun classical pastiche and hip-hop fusion featuring endless ensemble combinations and several allusions to the Baroque masters, from the clearest statements to the most minute accents and edges. Had a lot of fun sharing this with Holk!

First Man by Justin Hurwitz (a wonderful shortened program)

Still stands above comparison to most other recent examples of modern scoring. Steve was on-point to comment that the score is quite cinematic in nature, even in an overt way. Very gr

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes by Miklós Rózsa (rearranged Tadlow score presentation)

My first time. I really took to the themes and their varying presentations, almost immediately humming the Baker Street and Castles of Scotland melodies upon concluding the album.

Each of these scores was new to at least one of us in one way or another, and we enjoyed all of them thoroughly.

As for myself:

The Trial of the Chicago 7 by Daniel Pemberton

Liked the retro elements of the second cue titled We're Going to Chicago and gave varying levels of attention to the rest. 

The Glorias by Elliot Goldenthal

Midway by John Williams

Sacco e Vanzetti by Ennio Morricone :up:

Bad Education by Michael Abels :up:

Over Water by Daniel Hart

The Peacemaker by Hans Zimmer 

Suite from Rear Window by Franz Waxman :up:

Rex Steele: Nazi Smasher (Ryan Shore) - Man what a great, over the top, fun martial martial score. God knows what the film is like but the music is great... even if there's only ten minutes of it. The other scores represented on this album are pretty great too (since it's Rex Steele & Other Short Film Scores by Ryan Shore). I'm pretty sure it's one of those albums I bought when SAE had a sale and I bought a bag load of albums for 50 p each. Worth picking it up if it's still available. He's Howard Shore's nephew, I think?! Shame his filmography doesn't seem to have anything much of note in it (good though the music might be) as he's clearly a talented guy.

A former Spielberg project has found a home on Netflix. Pemberton's latest ain't no competition for Motherless Brooklyn (it's Netflix, after all), too many musical zeros (in form of long-held chords, minor harmonic development you know the drill), but for it's 7-minute groove opener 'We're Going to Chicago' i give it a medium-solid.

The good news: the Newton Brothers' Haunting of Bly Manor is not a loveless bunch of noise á la Dr. Sleep, but its moody, samey, slow, autumnal strings/piano waltzes (fitting for Corona autumn, for sure) are not exactly a beacon of originality, either (or variation, modulation and so on). Except for scenic recitatives, however, there is nothing, certainly no dramatic development. So you're left with one hour of at-least listenable background music, which seems to be the best you can expect form a Netflix series these days.

Harold Faltermeyer - Tango and Cash (LLL)

What a fun, cheesy 80's score.  Anyone who likes Faltermeyer's Beverly Hills Cop would probably like this too.  Too bad he never made a nice theme arrangement track like he did with Axel F, though.

Lalo Schifrin - Earth Star Voyager

This groovy score from 1988 has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid.  I wish Intrada had access to Disney's television offerings because this needs to get a release!

John Powell - How To Train Your Dragon (Varese Deluxe Edition)

I like the sound on this new edition, it's more pleasing to the ears than the OST or FYC or session leak.  But for whatever reason, a decade in, I still can't quite get fully into this score.  Some of the themes are amazing and my favorite of the 2010s, but as a whole score I just find my mind wandering in between those strong moments no matter what edition I listen to.  Oh well.

James Horner - Aliens (Varese Deluxe Edition)

I never get tired of listening to this brilliant score.  I only wish that Horner had scored more scenes, written a longer score.  I'd love to know how he would have tackled some of the big moments in the film that he never scored and Cameron just tracked stuff over instead.

Looking for Richard (Howard Shore) - this never seems to get mentioned but is grandiose in the style of his LOTR scores, but more, well Shakespearean... I guess. Some lovely choral writing and a lot larger in character than you might expect from what is basically a documentary. Well worth hunting down (it’s oddly hard to find on amazon but is definitely there - other online retailers are available).

The Black Cauldron (Varese Encore) - Elmer Bernstein

A cheaper alternative to the OOP Intrada release, even as a highlights-only 31 minute recording. The performance by the Utah Symphony is lovely, highlighting Cynthia Millar's ondes martenot solos and handling Bernstein's florid orchestration and tempos well. Still beautifully recorded and mixed.

Like Minds - Carlo Giacco

It's a pretty engaging score, favoring an organic sound over synths and electronics. I'll have to listen to it again, but I did enjoy the main title theme and Giacco's arrangement of "Exsultate Justi".

Interstellar - Hans Zimmer

Okay, this is growing on me. Great highlights like "Cornfield Chase", "Dust" and "Stay" -- but some of the stuff wears out its welcome.

Thief of Bagdad (Prometheus, my own playlist) - still love it.

Conan the Barbarian (Prometheus) - still kicks all the ass.

Interstellar (OST) - yeah, it's alright.

Suite from Hook (from Spielberg/Williams II) - fantastic.

Jurassic Park (LLL) - so glad I've grown to love it.

The River - my own combination playlist, still needs a little refining.

Two Mules for Sister Sara - my own combination playlist, still needs refining.

Also, to get ready for HTTYD I gave Call of the Wild another chance - I didn't really take to it when it came out. But I'm happy to say I enjoyed it quite a bit more this time. Still don't feel the theme has as much sticking power as the HTTYD ones for example, it just forms out of the soundscape in certain moments so you can half-recognise then properly recognise it and say "huh, neat". Or even "fuck yeah!" those couple times. And the latter half, especially near the end, is still closer to losing me - it just didn't this time. But all in all this bodes well, my chances for liking Hidden World more when I listen to it again (hopefully when the expansion comes not long from now) I'll enjoy it more too.

I love those 5 Hook tracks on Spielberg/Williams II.  Makes up for him not recording any during the Hook sessions.  It's interesting to ponder on how different the OST album would have been if he had!

22 hours ago, Bespin said:

Danny Elfman - L'étrange Noël de Monsieur Jack

R-5359680-1399675331-4393.jpeg.jpg

So that’s how they translated the title into French! I never knew.

31 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

So that’s how they translated the title into French! I never knew.

Yes, The Strange Christmas of Mr. Jack.

The whole album is available in french (well now the CD is rare to find).

Voici Halloween!!

Voici Halloween!!

I've been listening to Michael J. Lewis' score to Theater Of Blood. Such a melodic score for a Vincent Price horror film, I went looking for more Michael J. Lewis scores. Picked up North Seas Hijack (Ffolkes). I also have a compilation CD with themes from a number of his films.

Recently rewatched it in honor of Diana Rigg's passing.

Greg Espinoza

Danny Elfman - Music For A Darkened Theater 3 (Fan-made compilation)

I have no idea who put this together but I enjoyed it.  Not only to revisit scores from this era of Elfman I already really liked (Mars Attacks, Men In Black, Instinct, Wanted), but some stuff that hadn't done much for me in the past clicked with me this time (Planet of the Apes, Sleepy Hollow, Meet The Robinsons, Scream 2, Novocaine) and in general the whole "album" had a nice autumnal feel to it.  I also really enjoyed the odds and ends section at the end with stuff like the Desperate Housewives and Dilbert themes, a Honda commercial, and a video game theme

John Powell - Solo (OST)

Revisited this yesterday after the excitement of the DE track listing.  Still a score I like, but boy I can't wait to have a proper 2 hour version with actual ups and downs and a narrative flow instead of just 75 minutes of action.  Also, the more I listen to it, the less and less I like Adventures of Han.  It's a fine, independent piece of music but it doesn't work as an overture to Powell's score or as a substitute end credits.  it just sounds too different from everything Powell does in the score.

New Film Fest Ghent - World Soundtrack Awards: Tribute to the Film Composer

Nice compilation album featuring various composition from a wide variety of places!  I really enjoyed the revised Face of Pan by Williams, and of course his fun Tribute to the Film Composer.  But I also surprisingly really enjoyed the Star Trek suite, which was a new medley / arrangement of various pieces from Giacchino's 3 scores.  It's great!  They managed to take the core emotional essence of the trilogy and make it really shine.  Removed from all the action music that permeates all the release of his scores, you can really enjoy how strong the actual emotional melodies he came up with are.

John Powell - How To Train Your Dragon (Varese Deluxe Edition)

I'm liking this score more all the time!