What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Black Rain - Hans Zimmer

Some of his material is stuff that would later resurface in Batman Begins, but the score is stylistically tied to the 1980s -- particularly an interesting riff on Vangelis' beautiful Blade Runner score. It's enjoyable and very much Zimmer in his late 1980s-1990s phase.

Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer - Ryan Shore

Revisited this score, and while it could be condensed in a superb 15-20 suite, Shore really crafts a thematic, exciting, and wryly comedic score. The Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra is really put through its paces, and comes through beautifully.

I would definitely recommend it for you guys. I think it's still part of the MovieScore Media blowout sale at SAE, but it should be readily available.

Star Trek Into Darkness - Michael Giacchino

I had a craving for this after discovering the Joel Iwataki recording of the end credits on Youtube last night. There is an experience I often have with Giacchino scores: he'll do something that will make me sort of raise an eyebrow, because it's a bit daring/unusual/quirky, and then with repeated listens it will grow on me immensely. This is especially true with how he approaches counterpoint. But I find that happening much less, if at all, in this score. I don't know what it is exactly (maybe a result of the long break he took before writing it), but there is definitely something different in his voice. It's not that I'm enjoying the music less, it just seems that there's less of those really bold moments. His writing is more sure of itself but consequently maybe a little less adventurous. I can't put my finger on it.

At any rate, this is still a fantastic score. The engineering is, of course, a huge part of it - something about the horn theme that opens the album feels much more "Star Treky" than it did in the first film, and the only difference is in the recording. Khan's material is quite satisfying; I love the Hammond organ and its appearances in Brigadoom. London Calling seems to have gotten a lot of attention, but it's a bit "familiar" to me if you know what I mean. Incidentally, it was this cue's appearance during the credits that prompted a friend of mine (who is exceptionally musically aware) to remark that Giacchino is "more in touch with modern emotion than John Williams." I report that without comment in either direction. The highlight of the album is Warp Core Values. Before even seeing the film, when the score was first released, I listened to that and literally said "wow" out loud. It's really stunning writing.

I haven't disliked the Abrams films, but I wouldn't complain about more "traditional" Trek movies from here on out. I felt like Kirk's speech at the end was a bit of JJ promising that. Here's hoping that happens, with Giacchino still on board.

Mark Mancina - Speed 2

One of the best action scores of the 90s. LOVE THIS SCORE. Shame it's barely known, and never had any pieces appear on compilation albums, etc.

Strange coincidence I was listening to Speed 2 this morning for the first time. I enjoyed it very much. It's a very propulsive and fun adventure score and the themes resonate with me. I enjoyed the first score as well.

2636933-jerry-goldsmith-poltergeist-orig

KL_PoltergeistII_Cov600x600.jpg

Bear McCreary - Europa Report

Loved the juxtaposition of piano medleys and synthy drum beats in this score.

That sounds promising.

I remember thinking the soundtrack was unexpectedly high end for such a low budget movie and was pleasantly surprised to see his name in the credits.

WOW! The opening track of this album is easily one of the best film score cues of the year! Probably THE best so far. Must listen to the whole CD again!

Big words. Trying to remember if we have similar tastes. Made a note of this track for later.

WOW! The opening track of this album is easily one of the best film score cues of the year! Probably THE best so far. Must listen to the whole CD again!

Big words. Trying to remember if we have similar tastes. Made a note of this track for later.

It used in full for the movie's first trailer. Everyone loved it so much they just let it play uninterrupted and cut the visuals to it.

Star Trek Into Darkness - Michael Giacchino

I had a craving for this after discovering the Joel Iwataki recording of the end credits on Youtube last night. There is an experience I often have with Giacchino scores: he'll do something that will make me sort of raise an eyebrow, because it's a bit daring/unusual/quirky, and then with repeated listens it will grow on me immensely. This is especially true with how he approaches counterpoint. But I find that happening much less, if at all, in this score. I don't know what it is exactly (maybe a result of the long break he took before writing it), but there is definitely something different in his voice. It's not that I'm enjoying the music less, it just seems that there's less of those really bold moments. His writing is more sure of itself but consequently maybe a little less adventurous. I can't put my finger on it.

At any rate, this is still a fantastic score. The engineering is, of course, a huge part of it - something about the horn theme that opens the album feels much more "Star Treky" than it did in the first film, and the only difference is in the recording. Khan's material is quite satisfying; I love the Hammond organ and its appearances in Brigadoom. London Calling seems to have gotten a lot of attention, but it's a bit "familiar" to me if you know what I mean. Incidentally, it was this cue's appearance during the credits that prompted a friend of mine (who is exceptionally musically aware) to remark that Giacchino is "more in touch with modern emotion than John Williams." I report that without comment in either direction. The highlight of the album is Warp Core Values. Before even seeing the film, when the score was first released, I listened to that and literally said "wow" out loud. It's really stunning writing.

I haven't disliked the Abrams films, but I wouldn't complain about more "traditional" Trek movies from here on out. I felt like Kirk's speech at the end was a bit of JJ promising that. Here's hoping that happens, with Giacchino still on board.

Well said, Pilgrim! Also worth noting about this score is the terrific theme for Admiral Marcus, which is used in the film more than any other theme, but only appears on the OST once! I like it a lot1

Mark Mancina - Speed 2

One of the best action scores of the 90s. LOVE THIS SCORE. Shame it's barely known, and never had any pieces appear on compilation albums, etc.

Strange coincidence I was listening to Speed 2 this morning for the first time. I enjoyed it very much. It's a very propulsive and fun adventure score and the themes resonate with me. I enjoyed the first score as well.

Yea, its just a great action score, propulsive is a good word.

I like Speed 1 just fine, but its really a synth-based score at the end of the day. I love how Mancina went full orchestra for the sequel, it's just great.

Come on, Merciful One, be merciful to The Little Bear!

If you want my mercy, you gotta deserve it!

Although that clip you showed me isn't bad, it isn't particularly impressive either.

Bear McCreary - Europa Report

Loved the juxtaposition of piano medleys and synthy drum beats in this score.

That sounds promising.

I remember thinking the soundtrack was unexpectedly high end for such a low budget movie and was pleasantly surprised to see his name in the credits.

I only noticed the score a few times while watching the movie, I'd bet most of the film is un-scored probably. The OST might contain a lot of un-used, or album-only music, not sure. I have the CD at home but haven't read the booklet yet. I need to listen to it again, as I was working at the time and couldn't give it my full attention.

Mark Mancina - Planes

Big words? I don't think so, because I wouldn't exactly call 2013 rife with great film music so far. (Hopefully Book Thief and Desolation of Smaug, plus whatever other surprises may come out in the next 3 months change that, but until now it hasn't been as strong of a year as say, 2012 or 2011)

In fact, in my "Best Film Score Tracks of the 2010s" playlist I have on spotify, I've only put the following 2013 score tracks on there so far:

zpo4.png

So yea, I'd say "Planes" (the track) is easily one of the best film score tracks of 2013, no question. I'm not saying it's the best track of the decade or anything.

Listening to the whole CD again right now!

To each their own, I guess... Right, LeBlanc?

Speak of yourself! My opinions are correct!

:music:The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Karol - who thinks The Stegosaurus track is brilliant

John Williams - the Missouri Breaks (Kritzerland complete film tracks)

I loved this!! This is my first time hearing the score in any format. I loved the low key and laid back nature of it, paired with the stripped down orchestration it is great. a nice, breezy listen.

Mark Mancina - Planes

My second time listening to the whole album. Good stuff! The score is best at it's soaring, triumphant moments. A few early tracks are a bit too drum/synthy for my tastes.

The movie seems to be quite...daft.

It's just Cars in the air. I don't care about the film, but I'm pretty sure such a situation is unprecedented. The entire trailer is a full piece of original music from the score. No dialogue, no sound effects.

It's a great score altogether. The Stegosaur piece is actually one of the only sections where Williams is still able to evoke the sheer wonder of dinosaurs and does so beautifully (even though the wonder fades rapidly toward the end). I have always felt it was this score's answer to My Friend Brachiosaur from JP.

John Williams - the Missouri Breaks (Kritzerland complete film tracks)

I loved this!! This is my first time hearing the score in any format. I loved the low key and laid back nature of it, paired with the stripped down orchestration it is great. a nice, breezy listen.

It's a really interesting and different score from Williams. The rather limited orchestra (should it rather called a band) adds to the unique flavour of the music. The original score was a small revelation and contains more of the sparse and experimental music for Marlon Brando's crazy bountyhunter character, which is quite original and suitably off-kilter and unsettling but very inventive.

I am glad you liked it Jason! :)

Yeah, it is a cool score and album.

It's a great score altogether. The Stegosaur piece is actually one of the only sections where Williams is still able to evoke the sheer wonder of dinosaurs and does so beautifully (even though the wonder fades rapidly toward the end). I have always felt it was this score's answer to My Friend Brachiosaur from JP.

In a way, I think this piece might be even better. Brachiosaur piece was probably more memorable, but the cue from TLW beats it in my opinion. In terms of mood and texture - it's dreamy, foggy and mysterious, just like Isla Sorna. And that is the case with the score as a whole - it might not be that instantly memorable, but is crafted with so much attention to detail that actually eclipses JP.

In the meantime, I'm listening to Star Trek: Generations and it's starting to grow on me.

Karol

Ramin Djawadi - Pacific Rim

Still love it!

John Williams - Lincoln

Listened to a few random tracks, not the whole album. Really, this score has some of the best themes of the recent years. I still prefer War Horse overall as a score, and it's reunion theme over most themes written by anyone in quite a while, but Lincoln is quite rich with, well, rich thematic material. Johnny's still got it, that much is absolutely certain!

Yeah, it is a cool score and album.

In a way, I think this piece might be even better. Brachiosaur piece was probably more memorable, but the cue from TLW beats it in my opinion. In terms of mood and texture - it's dreamy, foggy and mysterious, just like Isla Sorna. And that is the case with the score as a whole - it might not be that instantly memorable, but is crafted with so much attention to detail that actually eclipses JP.

In the meantime, I'm listening to Star Trek: Generations and it's starting to grow on me.

Karol

I think my nostalgia may have something to do with JP trumping TLW but when you think about it, JP is much more than the two infectuous main themes. So much of its charm lies in the mood and feel and collection of so many surprising emotions into a vibrant whole. TLW is not far behind though, edgier, darker and moodier but again indelibly creating its own unique musical world. These are also very contrasting musical worlds where one starts quite optimistic and light and ends in a violent Stravinskian action ballet whereas the sequel is tinged in darkness from the opening notes and hardly lets go of this jungle atmosphere during the whole score. Perhaps this is what also makes the Stegosaur piece special, that one dreamy, light and magical section surrounded by so much darker scoring.

Oh and the Stegosaur piece is really a magical evocation of the dinosaurs themselves, the sheer gentle, slow and weighty yet dreamy feel of the cue much more atmospheric than the My Friend the Brachiosaur where the gentle melody is at the center of it all. I still marvel how well the two segments of the Brachiosaur piece flow together even though from different parts of the film.

Gravity - Steven Price

Some interesting moments in here

Folks are raving about how it works beautifully in the film. Sometimes seeing the music in the film does enhance the listening experience later on.

Petrushka by Igor Stravinsky

Symphony in Three Movements by Igor Stravinsky

Every listen of Stravinsky's work makes you realize what huge influence he has been not only to 20th century music but beyond. Film music owes him a great debt of gratitude. Such vibrant, elegant and ferocious music.

Lonzoe, what are your thoughts on those three Mancinas? Which is your favorite?

I'll do my best to give my thoughts on all three scores. Okay here we go...

I can’t decide which is my favorite. All hit a different spot for me. I'll just say I enjoyed each score in it's own way.

Speed and Bad Boys hold some sentimental value b/c I used to watch both movies many times as a teen. The scores were some of the highlights in both movies. I’ve always thought Mancina’s score elevated the suspense, action, and thrills in Speed. I know some think it’s a little too synthetic at times (for example during the evil Payne moments) but I think it adds a bit of edginess and paranoia to the score and film. It also highlights the cat & mouse game between Jack and Payne. The 6 note main theme is very catchy and captures the heroics and bravery of Jack Traven. As well as the anxiety of the situations he’s put in throughout the movie. I also enjoy the secondary theme that’s more dramatic. That theme brings heart to the movie, imo. I feel it represents the survival and innocence of the frightened passengers. It also portrays the relationship between Jack and Anne. It’s very touching and wraps up the score nicely. The motif for Payne is very textural but unnerving and menacing. The action moments are the highlights of the album for me (“Rush Hour” (this track does a stellar job of capturing the chaos of competing against rush hour traffic, imho), “Jack Jumps On The Bus”, “City Streets”, “The Gap” (has the right amount of anticipation and tension needed for the scene) “The Dolly”, “Jack Under Bus”, “The Rescue” (the music during the moment Jack and Anne exit the bus was breathtaking, imo), “Getting On The Train”, “Fight On Train”. I enjoy the score overall very much. This is a score I can listen to repeatedly.

I know Mancina’s Bad Boys is an MV/RCP type of score, which is frowned upon up here and many film score sites, but it works b/c it’s composed for a Bruckheimer/Bay movie. I actually prefer the MV/RCP scores of the 90s. The hip hop-esque main theme is very fitting for the two leads. It’s at times cool, hip, and even comical echoing the attitude and bromance between Martin and Smith. I also like the affectionate theme for Julie with the Spanish guitar, I believe. Which like Mancina did for Speed added sympathy to the score and film. It sort of reminds me of Kamen’s little bromance theme for Riggs and Murtaugh in the Lethal Weapons. I love the use of it with electric guitars in the middle of “Hanger Shootout”. It‘s dramatically effective in “Pouchet’s Death” as well. The villain theme for Pouchet (with the electric guitar) was perfect for this kind of score and film. And even brings some level of menace to some moments in the score. You can hear shades of this particular theme for Cyrus the Virus in Con Air, which hopefully someday will get an expanded release. The action material is great, imo, especially during “Heist“, “Escape From Club Hell/Ether Chase” “Foot chase”, “Hanger Shootout”. Mancina does a good job of imitating the essence of a Bay/Bruckheimer 90s action movie. I know a lot of people might think it’s garbage. To me it’s a just a fun 90s action buddy cop score that compliments the film nicely.

I’ve only listen to Speed 2 three times now. I’ve enjoyed each listen. Mancina’s score doesn’t feel like a rehash of the original,which is a good thing. Even though his main theme from Speed makes a few appearances letting the listeners know this is a Speed movie, but it doesn‘t hog the score from the new themes/motif. His main theme for Alex is very fitting. It comes off as if Alex is even more of a thrillseeker than Jack was from the original. I like how the original main theme plays off of Alex’s theme in the adventurous “Motorcycle Chase”. It sort of plays as a variation of the original main theme. Jack Sparrow’s theme sort of reminds me of Alex’s theme from that particular track anyway. This theme gets a workout on the album. The Caribbean Cruise theme for the Seabourn Legend sounds like cruise muzak that I’d expect to hear on a cruise ship. It has this Jamaican feel to it. Mancina seamlessly made that piece into a romantic theme for Anne and Alex (in “Alex and Anne”) but then segues into Caribbean cruise muzak as they step aboard the Seabourn Legend. He plays the theme more alarming in “The Harbor”. Geiger’s catchy villain theme is more comic book-y, compared to Payne’s more textural theme in the original. Mancina also makes great use of this theme through out even using it to highlight some of the predicaments of the cruise. At the beginning of the “Engine Room”, where Geiger’s theme is introduced, It sounds like it might’ve been temp tracked with Williams’ JFK. The same piece Under Siege and The Usual Suspects used for temp. That’s not a complaint just something I noticed. There’s an emotional theme for Alex and Anne that’s introduced in the middle of “Last Lifeboat” that’s used efficiently throughout the score. I also like his variation of “The Gap” (from the first score) during “Tanker Turn”. It made me actually care about what was going on in that scene during the movie. The score is very well paced for a 70 minute album and never drags, imo. The score gets more exciting as it reaches it's conclusion, imho. Mancina's score unlike the movie is a great follow up to Speed. It's also a better score than what the film deserved,imo.

Gravity - Steven Price

Some interesting moments in here

Folks are raving about how it works beautifully in the film. Sometimes seeing the music in the film does enhance the listening experience later on.

Would you say that is true of Cliff Martinez's score for "Solaris"? It works in the film, but it's a hard listen on its own.

Petrushka by Igor Stravinsky

Symphony in Three Movements by Igor Stravinsky

Every listen of Stravinsky's work makes you realize what huge influence he has been not only to 20th century music but beyond. Film music owes him a great debt of gratitude. Such vibrant, elegant and ferocious music.

Symphony in Three Movements is great. Bought LSO Live performance recently.

Karol

lonzoe, thanks so much for those writeups!

Speed was a favorite score from my teenage years as well, and yea City Streets is just a fantastic cue, as is The Rescue. God, was that original score CD oddly sequenced, with The Rescue being track 2! Thankfully La-La Land came to the rescue with their great chronological and complete release.

After that I got a composer promo for Speed 2 and Bad Boys. What's funny was that going in I assumed I would enjoy the Bad Boys part more because I enjoyed the movie so much more, but oddly for me, apart from the terrific main theme I never got too into the Bad Boys score, not even with the long official release. Speed 2 on the other hand was the breakout score for me from that CD, I played that portion of the promo over and over again. I was thrilled when LLL released their CD and was shocked to find out it was not only incomplete, but didn't even have all the score cues from the promo on it.

The LLL CD is great and covers all the highlights, but the biggest omission is the lack of the actual film version of the Seabourn Legend / Caribbean Cruise track, presenting an odd alternate version instead. Luckily you can combine the LLL CD with the promo to get a more rounded release.

Hopefully someday the full complete score will get out somehow!

Batman

Jane Eyre (Marianelli)

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Karol

I'm listening the second score on your list as we speak. Haven't heard it for a while. Pure bliss, and great study music too!

In honour of the Hobbit Day (22nd of September, Frodo's and Bilbo's shared birthday) I listened to The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey.