What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Wolverine & Iron Man 3 - two of my favorite scores this year.

You didn't like Star Trek Into Darkness?

The Wolverine & Iron Man 3 - two of my favorite scores this year.

You didn't like Star Trek Into Darkness?

I loved it, it was great. But the short runtime and missing of great cues from the movie knocked down the release (not the score itself) for me. I'd still buy a deluxe edition, however.

How do people feel about Morricone's Mission to Mars? I know the film itself is, shall we say, not highly regarded (I don't feel it's entirely a disaster, though), but the score also seems to have been somewhat reviled at worst, and at best, forgotten.

But there are some wonderful moments that I come back to often, and on the whole I think it's a uniquely beautiful score.

3:59-4:50 especially

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYayy2vwkxI

The mounting and then release of tension from 2:47-4:00 is hair-raising

How do people feel about Morricone's Mission to Mars? I know the film itself is, shall we say, not highly regarded (I don't feel it's entirely a disaster, though), but the score also seems to have been somewhat reviled at worst, and at best, forgotten.

I don't think the film is a disaster at all. The ending is yet another 2001 twist (and a rather clicheed one I suppose), but most of the stuff leading up to it is a typical case of De Palma turning adequate content into an often quite gripping and fascinating film (in what I like to refer to as "style as substance" rather than "style over substance").

Morricone's score is fine, and in fact I've never understood the hate for the organ suspense cue. I think it's a brilliant scene with music that fits it like a glove. Though I must admit that on CD the score can be a rather dry experience.

The orchestral stuff on the CD and the organ cue are fine. I'm not a fan of a more synthy tracks, though.

And Where? is just a brilliant s-f music!

Karol

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 by Desplat.

It literally fell into my hands today, and not having listened to it for more than a year, it gave me good fun and adrenaline at the beginning. But I was surprised by how quickly I became disinterested. After six tracks or something. There is that extra dose of originality missing that keeps you interested.

While travelling from Vienna to London:

Memoirs of a Geisha Suite, War Horse, Lincoln, The Adventures of Tintin, 1st Violin Concerto, Angela's Ahes Suite (with narrator), War of the Worlds, Jaws (original album). All of that pretty much non-stop.

Karol

While travelling from Vienna to London:

Memoirs of a Geisha Suite, War Horse, Lincoln, The Adventures of Tintin, 1st Violin Concerto, Angela's Ahes Suite (with narrator), War of the Worlds, Jaws (original album). All of that pretty much non-stop.

Karol

Good or should I say first class choices Karol. You are of course a man of refined tastes.

Firelight by Christopher Gunning

I still need to check out this bloke's music. I know, I know. I've been saying that all the time, but time and money are being spent left and right. But some Youtube videos suggest quite a lovely work. Any more thought, Mikko?

:music:The Matrix Reloaded

Karol - who, quite unexpectedly, just got an e-mail he won an autographed The Matrix Revolutions OST (which completes his signed trilogy)

I still need to check out this bloke's music. I know, I know. I've been saying that all the time, but time and money are being spent left and right. But some Youtube videos suggest quite a lovely work. Any more thought, Mikko?

Firelight is a very lyrical and gentle romantic score from Gunning with a lot of emphasis on the main soloists, piano, flute and violin. It could be said to be quite monothematic affair but the main theme is a strong one and gets a lot of different variations on the 47 minute album, which is perfect length for this musical narrative. The music is passionate and delicate in turn and you can really feel the composer's enthusiasm for the story shining through in every note.

Orchestrations are pitch perfect I feel as Gunning is highly skilled also in that department. A lot of highlights like the magnificently poignant Louisa with a magical flute and violin duet over gossamer string and piano accompaniment, just supremely lyrical. Learning by Firelight has a beautiful optimistic atmosphere and a great piano and violin interplay and Love by Firelight (yes you can see a certain theme in the naming of the tracks) is a passionately romantic exploration of the main theme. The album ends in an almost beatific meditation on the main theme in A New Journey, where the theme sheds all its tragic qualities and rises in the most satisfying sense of closure on solo violin and orchestra, a truly emotional and well constructed musical send off.

The Unfinished Swan - Joe Corelitz

A beautiful and charming score for the PS3 exclusive. Loved it when I played the game last year but never got around to buying this off iTunes. Not sure if anyone here would like it, but I think it's great. Really blends flawlessly with the visuals and gameplay. Not as orchestrally fleshed out as something like Wintory's Journey, but still lovely nonetheless.

The whole thing is on YouTube for those that want to take a listen.

Danny Elfman - Mars Attacks! (La-La Land)

Ah, it was great listening to this again! It had been years for me. The La-La Land covers most all of the essential music, but it is a shame there is still 9 minutes you need to grab from the DVD's isolated score. I plan on making my own complete version soon. Is it just me or is there barely any difference between the two versions of Martian Lounge?

Danny Elfman - Batman (La-La Land Disc 1)

Figured I'd keep my Elfman/LLL roll going with this release. This is probably only the second time I've listened to this disc - I listened to the original OST non-stop in my younger years, it was one of my earliest favorite soundtracks. This release was kind of a revelation about how poorly the score was recorded, and how much magic they used to make the OST sound as good as it did. The previously unreleased parts of the score just simply don't sound as good as the rest - this is not LLL's fault at all, of course. This might be one of those rare cases where I will prefer the A&A OST over the C&C release! Also it's a shame that Batwing I fades out the way it does... luckily the Elfman/Burton boxset fixed that!

Michael Giacchino - LOST (Season 1,2,3 OSTs)

Inspired by the discussion in the TV thread recently I dug these out and listened to them all. While I like this music, it truly isn't until seasons 4-6 for me that these scores became unbelievably good. All my favorite themes are from those seasons I think, which makes sense as the plot started advancing then as well as the emotional journeys for many characters ended. From these early seasons I enjoy most the cues featuring the Departure Theme and Desmond's Theme. And of course the Traveling Theme, but even that gets it's best variations in the later seasons.

I'm a big fan of what I call the "Island Weirdness Motif" that pops up a lot in season 2. It's all over "The Final Countdown." Also Hurley's theme is lovely, even though it doesn't really turn up again until the end.

De Fortable Sjaeles - Jane Antonia Cornish

Cornish really goes in all out Williams/Arnold late 1980s/early 1990s fantasy mode here... with a memorable and malleable theme that gets great mileage from the constant major key progressions. She sprinkles in softer, minor key cues like "Death of Linea" and "Lulu's Theme" to keep things from, but her mastery of orchestration is quite impressive and complex. I like her trademark: overlying a frantic woodwind line with the growling brass, timpani and celeste in the action sequences. (It's quite brilliant in conveying the might of a swelling magical force.) But she doesn't forget the motif for Linea, where she progresses it into a mighty and awe-inspiring version for full orchestra and choir in "Final Battle."

It's quite an achievement. She's definitely up there with Shirley Walker and Debbie Wiseman, talent-wise.

Since it's October. I started my ShocktoberFest (for lack of a better word) of scores in chronological order of US release date.

Wednesday Oct. 2nd...

Planet Of The Apes (1968) - Jerry Goldsmith

Halloween (1978) 20th Anniversary - John Carpenter

Alien (Intrada) 2-CD - Jerry Goldsmith

Thursday Oct. 3rd...

John Carpenter's The Fog (1980) 2-CD Silva Screen - John Carpenter

Friday The 13th (1980) (LLLR) - Harry Manfredini

Friday The 13th Part 2 (LLLR) - Harry Manfredini

Halloween II (1981) 30th Anniversary - John Carpenter In Association with Alan Howarth

Friday Oct. 4th...

Poltergeist (FSM) - Jerry Goldsmith

Friday The 13th Part 3 (LLLR) - Harry Manfredini

Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (25th Anniversary) - John Carpenter In Association With Alan Howarth

Twilight Zone: The Movie (FSM) - Jerry Goldsmith

Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter (LLLR) - Harry Manfredini

Monday Oct. 7th...

gremlinssoundtrack.jpg

534691Cover.jpg

KL_PoltergeistII_Cov600x600.jpg

The Time Traveler's Wife - Mychael Danna

Still my favorite Danna score. There's a beautiful intimacy and warmth to the whole score, even if the Tibetan bowl percussion and atonal synths occasionally butt in. It captures a certain romantic longing and poignancy, but in its own way, it feels very autumnal and hopeful as well. Danna uses a chamber-sized orchestra, and Nicholas Dodd keeps the orchestration minimal.

Would certainly like to see Danna do more of these movies.

Currently (trying) listening to The Lost World (John Williams).

Do or do not. There is no try.

The Hostage by Alexandre Desplat

Unbreakable by James Newton Howard

Still my favorite Danna score. There's a beautiful intimacy and warmth to the whole score, even if the Tibetan bowl percussion and atonal synths occasionally butt in. It captures a certain romantic longing and poignancy, but in its own way, it feels very autumnal and hopeful as well. Danna uses a chamber-sized orchestra, and Nicholas Dodd keeps the orchestration minimal.

Now that Christmas is closing in fast you should try Danna's sublime The Nativity Story. It is one of those rare cases where the eclectic mix of musical influences and nods comes to form a beautiful unified whole as Danna joins the musical heritages of the European tradition and Middle East in a compelling and powerful union.

Hostage is an interesting score from Desplat. Crawl Space action cue kicks some major butt, in an almost Goldsmith kind of way.

Oh yeah, it is almost time to give The Nativity Story a spin.

As for myself, I was listening to some different bits from Danny Elfman: Promised Land, Edward Scissorhands, Corpse Bride ... among other things.

:music: Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas

Karol

The Dark Knight Returns - Christopher Drake does it again, not only perfectly capturing the spirit/sound of Batman, but also the 80s', in which this movie takes place. Definitely would recommend it (Score, graphic novel, and movie.)

It was pretty damn good, and faithful too. Emerson made for a awesome Joker, as did Weller for Batman. It really makes me wonder why WB makes such great animated movies, but most of their CBM's fail completely, or are sub-par.

Matt, what do you think of "Monsoon Wedding"?

I haven't listened to his ones for Mira Nair's films. I've only heard Life of Pi, Breach, Time Traveler's Wife, Chloe and Surf's Up.

Currently (trying) listening to The Lost World (John Williams).

Do or do not. There is no try.

The Hostage by Alexandre Desplat

Unbreakable by James Newton Howard

Now that Christmas is closing in fast you should try Danna's sublime The Nativity Story. It is one of those rare cases where the eclectic mix of musical influences and nods comes to form a beautiful unified whole as Danna joins the musical heritages of the European tradition and Middle East in a compelling and powerful union.

I totally forgot about The Nativity Story. That's actually tied with Time Traveler's Wife as one of my favorites.