What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Vertigo and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Suffice to say, some of the best film music ever written. I know, it is almost cliche to state that, but, truth be told, they are unparalleled in almost every department. Not only excelling on the technical level, but also providing their films with a lot of their emotional and intellectual subtexts.

Karol

Vertigo and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Suffice to say, some of the best film music ever written. I know, it is almost cliche to state that, but, truth be told, they are unparalleled in almost every department. Not only excelling on the technical level, but also providing their films with a lot of their emotional and intellectual subtexts.

Karol

Yes both scores are exceptional. Vertigo is something I fell in love with immediately from the first notes but it took a while to get into the more reserved Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

None. male19-male-crying-tears-smiley-emoticon

It is really a shame how erratically they release the scores from UK tv shows. Something like Agatha Christie's Poirot (my personal favourite) has gotten 2 CD releases in the 20 odd years it has been on the air (and the second 2013 CD contains almost exactly the same content as the original OOP album from 1993) with many seasons (i.e. dozens of TV-movies' worth) of unreleased scores by 3 different composers and Robin Hood had one release and then the new Doctor Who (undoubtedly has a large devout following) has gotten a CD for each season and even for some specials I believe. But it again comes down to what is considered economically viable and what is not. Sadly.

Othello, Michael Collins and currently Batman Forever.

Karol

A great collection of best of Goldenthal right there. But then again his output is nearly all fantastic.

Firelight by Christopher Gunning

When the Whales Came by Christopher Gunning

Jeremy Soule's Oblivion. His Elder Scrolls scores are nigh-unimpeachable as my "most played" on iTunes.

I'm more familiar with his score for Skyrim but it's quality stuff.

Escape from Tomorrow - Abel Korzeniowski (My first score by Korzy!)

Monsters University - Randy Newman

Toy Story of Terror - Michael Giacchino

Any more details on this thing? I've never heard of it before.

I was having an Alien score marathon over the past few days: Alien, Aliens and Alien 3 - a quite bleak playlist as you can imagine.

All of that in preparation for the arrival of Alien: Resurrection, a copy of which found its way into my letterbox this morning. One thing that strikes you right away when you start listening is that how thematic and melodic this work is. The dissonant main theme is very memorable, in fact one of the few I remembered from the film. The score as a whole feels less like horror (for the most part, at least) and keeps its focus on sensual elements, making it quite enjoyable on album. The more action/horror bits are somewhat less impressive. Still, solid enough to keep you interested enough, especially when taking a more tongue-in-cheek route. And I'm not a fan of the occasional electronic elements - seems like a cheaper version of what Goldenthal normally does in his works. Having, said the the trio of themes - the main one. Ripley's and Call's - elevates the work. Ultimately, the least good of the four, but, in such a respectable company, that's not exactly a great sin.

Karol

Now, all our hopes lie in the labels, which are more interested/focused on releasing film scores... Basically, we're fucked!

I kinda wish LLL or MovieScore would throw us a bone here -- surely they could sell 500-1,000 copies of a Robin Hood: Seasons 2 and 3 set.

As long as you don't turn into that brony kid who was obsessed with getting My Little Pony music released.

I don't know if you've heard any of Price's "Robin Hood" stuff, but if not... here's a suite posted below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74QgmuN88yI

Certainly worth a limited CD release. Even a re-pressing of the UK CD would go a long way.

Well he stopped posting here, deleted me off Facebook and thus wiping my newsfeed clean of the stuff, and I haven't seen him around FSM anymore, so...

As far as i'm concerned, brony = paedo!

The whole Brony phenomenon is more weird than creepy. I know some folks who are part of that, and they're pretty normal to me. They just, for some Godforsaken reason, love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

People have their quirks. :whistle:

I have no issues with people loving cartoons. I'm a diehard SpongeBob fan myself, which has plenty of adult themes and humor. I've never watched My Little Pony, but have heard from those that do that it has a plethora of cultural and artistic references. I just don't understand the obsession behind getting the music released. It's out of your control, deal with it. If I remember correctly the kid was sending perpetual hate mail to the label guys for not being interested.

ADORE - Christopher Gordon

Continuing Gordon's high writing standard, this lightweight minimalist romantic score still betrays a firm classical hand - with a few tools (piano, strings, regular and plucked) Gordon creates an enchanting portrait of yearning/longing in the odd-30 minutes he got. Listen to the latter part of 'Beach Walk' for some brilliant shimmering violin solos. There is additional music by another composer that sounds like Thomas Newman, but it doesn't offend, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpeqLrfc96o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e79ZMO9FsPc

Spider-Man 3 - Christopher Young

The music Young did that made it into the film was pretty incredible. When you take away the temp tracking of cues like "Aunt May Packs" (unused from Spider-Man 2) as well as Debney and Lurie's numerous re-arrangements of the MJ/love theme (which loses its whimsy after being heard a third time) -- Young really weaves a clever tapestry of motifs while skillfully incorporating Elfman's themes for Spider-Man and Harry Osborn. The construction site fight is still wonderfully exciting, and Young really gives the climatic death scene some emotional heft.

It's a damn shame Sony just cut his score to pieces, let alone not issue a score album. I would love to see Intrada or LLL do an Archival Special Edition for it.

I listened to the soundtrack from the Coen Brothers' upcoming Inside Llewyn Davis tonight. Not a score, no, but still a very tasteful collection of folky tunes from the 60's, all hauntingly covered for the film by the cast including Justin Timberlake, who eases into a sound-world relatively new for him with impressive grace. A highlight for me is his performance of 500 Miles with Carey Mulligan and Stark Sands. I can't wait to see this one.

You can stream it here if interested.

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/03/242103173/first-listen-soundtrack-inside-llewyn-davis

3rd & 4th Symphonies by Jean Sibelius

Appalachian Spring by Aaron Copland

Stanley & Iris by John Williams

Stanley & Iris by John Williams

I hadn't listened to this for awhile. I'd forgotten how much the flute theme is almost like a quiet little march, almost liked a toned down "Celebrate Discovery."