What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Celestine Prophecy by Nuno Malo: A beautiful lyrical work from Malo from what is apparently an absolute bomb of an adaptation of a popular novel into motion picture form. The score contains several different stylistic impulses from ethnic scoring to adventure films to gentle romance and even religioso choral majesty and the composer does it all with surprising mature skill although shades of Thomas Newman are strongly present in his writing among other inspirations.

Meet Joe Black by Thomas Newman: The very essence of romance and one of the more traditional scores Newman has done. Yet utterly brilliant.

Oscar and Lucinda by Thomas Newman: I had forgotten what a brilliant score this is. Simply uplifting piece of writing mixing gorgeous melodies with Newman's vintage atmospheric textural painting.

While I don't really like The Social Network, I understand and somewhat appreciate its role in the film. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo isn't even good in that regard being unlistenable on album and ear-bleedingly obnoxious and distracting in film.

Haven't listened to The Social Network alone in a while. I might give it a listen later.

Currently listening to the Williams/Perlman Cinema Serenade :music: album again. Great album. There are some arrangements here that I actually prefer to the originals (the Cinema Paradiso, Color Purple, and Age of Innocence arrangements are my personal favorites).

Also listening to Life of Pi :music: and Star Wars :music:

L.A. Confidential by Jerry Goldsmith

:music:The Cowboys by John Williams

You are probably right (I'm no Rozsa expert), I was just saying it's definitely a great little set if you want to have two classics in a superb presentation.

And Quo Vadis is a much better listen (for me) in this 40 minutes release.

About El Cid, the Munich recording, is this the one your are referring to? Because I see it's from a japanese label.

1: I am not a Rozsa expert either, and I agree that the Tadlow could be trimmed slightly, but it IMHO would be a bit of a shame not to have the four score tracks I mentioned, and the Concert Suite is (like the original Jaws and ET albums, the Star Wars Gerhardts, and the Memoirs suite,) essential.

2: Yeah, though FSM released it in a big boxed set (along with the (IMO) superb Something of Value etc.) that is unfortunately very expensive and out of print (?)

Listening to Life of Pi :music: again. The album is far too long though. Anybody here have a good 35-45 minute playlist of this one?

El Cid :music:

Need to listen to more Rozsa'...

Rise of the Guardians :music:

If only Desplat had scored Guardians of the Galaxy...

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within :music:

Saving Private Ryan :music:

16747.jpg

Holy smokes... if this isn't one of the greatest sounding albums I've ever heard !! :eek:

The opening narration done by none other than Mr. Leonard Nimoy, underscored with thematic material from Star Trek is one of the coolest ways to open an album.

Then, listen to the overture from Star Trek VI early on to get your first taster of what this album has in store musically. Absolute ear-shattering excellence.

Now, Telarc recordings from Kunzel and the CPO are famous for their stellar sound, but this ranks up there with the best of them. It sure is ear candy for sound buffs such as me.

I knew some pieces from other Kunzel compilations like Trek II, IV and V but it holds some mighty fine versions I had never heard before.

I especially love the wonderfully reworked and expanded version of the TV series theme.

Also excellent takes on Trek III, Trek VI (as mentioned), Voyager, Deep Space Nine and finally Generations.

Also TMP seems remixed with a multitude of sound effects (which may offend some) and improved dynamic range since Star Tracks II.

Expect to have sound effects only cues to crop in between the music tracks, you either hate em or you don't, I think they make sense as part of a musical journey of this fascinating universe.

I simply love these albums and am happy to add another one to my collection. Wonder why I waited so long, Star Trek music has been and always will be my friend.

Alan Silvestri - Contact (OST)

Great stuff, but so short!

Alexandre Desplat - The Ghost Writer

More good stuff, but also seemed really short! Maybe I was just working really hard today...

Michael Land - The Secret of Monkey Island (Special Edition)

<3

"To quote a friend of mine...it's clobberin' time!" - Johnny Storm to Doom

I listened to the complete score for Fantastic 4 Rise Of The Silver Surfer earlier. It has been a long time since I heard it, forgot how fun the score is.

Original E.T. Album

I still haven't gotten that one. I'm holding off until La-La Land or somebody gets a hold of it.

Its a totally different experience than the actual score, the actual score is much darker than the OST.

The film score is much more subtle and takes a good while to get going before the grand finale. The OST is a concept album comprised mostly of material specifically recorded for it and containing extensions of the thematic material not found anywhere in the film score. And it totally rocks! It is really the highlight reel of the 80+ minute film score fully reimagined for album. Plus it has the Adventures on Earth film version insert/revision which alone would make it worth owning.

Which is not to say the film score is not wonderful in itself. E.g. Three Million Light Years Away film version is definitely superior to the OST version in my mind.

E.T. OST and expanded releases are both worth owning since they each have their strengths. The OST is a more recent purchase for me, I bought it 3 or so years ago on CD.

Absolutely. They are rather complementary of each other actually with very little overlap so both are worth having.

The only gripe I have about the OST is that the final two tracks should switch places.

Not that they can do that out of their own free will.

:music:Lethal Weapon 3

Karol

591.jpg

I think I like the 'songs' more than the Goldenthal score.

As the score to a stylish cops and robbers thriller, it's a bit all over the place. As a concept album, this works great up to a certain point.

The first half of the album is awesome, after Force Marker (which is too repetitive) it starts to drag.

Stuff like Always Forever Now, Ultramarine, Mystery Man, New Dawn Fades... yeah baby.This is the type of 'inspired by 'music that is highly original and perfectly used for the scene. And it's fantastic !

But then it kind of slows down to more reflective pieces like the Lisa Gerrard contributions. I guess it's okay, but I prefer the energy earlier on the CD.

From Goldenthal there's two cues I really like that show his talent for great melody: Of Helplessness and OF Separation. The rest is pretty much textural, ambient scoring that I have to be in the mood for.

And to make the fantastic film end with the Moby track 'God Moving...' is a stroke of genius. Basically worth the price of the CD alone. Even better would have been the film version of the song.

I remember sitting there in a darkened room in '95 and that song summed up how I felt about the film. I was stunned by the imagery, but I think even more by the quality of Heat's soundtrack (the sound mix included).

I've already changed my mind. Where can I find the original album (on CD preferably). I couldn't find it on Amazon or Ebay.

It's most certainly on Amazon as well as ebay!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000DWFU/(the posted track list is wrong, but this is the right one)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KK3ELC/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000026E0A/

http://www.amazon.com/B0000259S9/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181828555998

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111735770644

Michael Land - The Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (Special Edition)

<3 <3

Marc Shaiman - South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut (Promo)

This promo CD features Shaiman's entire score, as well as all the songs in the movie that didn't make it to the OST album, but the film version of all those songs that did (with some different instrumentation and no spoken dialogue parts). SO GOOD! Love this. A specialty label should release this gem! There are a lot of short cues, but plenty of great stuff in the long ones - he really weaves the melodies of the songs into the score in an awesome way. :up: :up:

Michael Giacchino - Space Mountain

I dunno, I think this is kinda weird

Christopher Young - Spider-man 3

Great score!

James Newton Howard - Waterworld

A classic I never tire of!

Christopher Young - Spider-man 3

Great score!

I agree. I'll always believe Young's score to be the best of the bunch. It sucks it won't get a complete release, let alone a regular OST release because of the rights issues regarding Elfman's material...

Undoubtedly.

I should mention I heard the rock song version of the love theme for the first time when listening today......... :folder: Good god what is that crap? :pukeface:

Quo Vadis by Miklós Rózsa: I really love this score. Rózsa achieves a great combination of epic and intimate with his music. While there is a lot of what we can call diegetic music in the score, the mix of source music and dramatic scoring is surprisingly seamless and creates a feeling of a fully conceived musical world as ideas from source music pass to the score and become part of the subtext.of the music. One thing is to praise the structure but the music itself, the themes, the melodies are vintage Rózsa from the Roman processional marches to the supremely lyrical main themes and the action music is brazenly dramatic. Highly recommended as ever.

The Patriot by John Williams: Despite the score album playing like a "best of" Williams' well honed stylistic traits I can't help but to enjoy it immensely. There is the Americana writing so prevalent in Born on the Fourth of July, JFK, Nixon and Amistad with tragic string elegies full of pathos and the haunting trumpet solos, a sweeping lyrical love theme with slightly Irish lilt fitting for the period and setting and enormous blood and thunder action set pieces full of blazing martial brass, snare drums and noble strings. What deviates from the norm of Williams's usual MO of the time is perhaps the more urgent modern action music that is in places squarely focused on kinetic forward pushing energy instead of forging those typical action ballets Williams is so well known for and slow burning restraint in suspense music but otherwise Roland Emmerich obviously wanted something unabashedly big from the Maestro and he delivers in spades.

Highlights include the well crafted end credits suite where both the heroic and the love theme get extended workout (Mark O'Connor performing the fiddlle solos), the solo flute variation of the love music Ann and Gabriel, the haunting elegies and doom laden dirge in Red Coats at the Farm and the Death of Thomas and the sweeping kinetic action drive of Tavington's Trap and the patrotically flag waving brassy The Colonial Cause and Preparing for Battle and the gorgeous thematic finale of Yorktown and The Return Home. I'd say it is akin to JW comfort food.

It is a bit like Williams' concert work American Journey, which seems like the Maestro's musical meditation on much that gone before and very familiar but undeniably impressive and entertaining none the less.

American Journey? A meditation? ;)

Karol

Yeah in the sense that it seems like a reworking or reconceptualizing of many familiar musical gestures and stylistic traits of the Maestro. Not as something good for meditation. Too much brass and orchestral chimes man!

Williams knew exactly the tone such a big piece needed. He has always been very good at gauging stylistic choices appropriate for such events. In American Journey's case it is unabashed Americana in many forms, dash of Copland, a hint of Leonard Bernstein and a big dollop of that ol' Williams charm.

:music: Song for World Peace aka Satellite Celebration

It's kind of funny how much of earlier Williams scores you can hear in it, for example The Land Race from Far and Away in the first movement, and Jim's New Life from Empire of the Sun in the fourth movement.

1729.jpg

The best thing Giacchino has ever written. If you think this doesn't follow a clear musical narrative, you really should give it another chance (Jay). ;)

It's the perfectly constructed album for something that is supposed to be background music for a series of battle setpieces and disjointed levels.

There are so many cues on here that blow me away, but the two favorites are placed one after another on the CD.

Instead of listing them and stating how incredibly fantastic they are I'll just put them up so everyone can listen, and rightfully agree. :)

The second is just called 'Arnhem'. Not really sure where the Knights comes from.

1729.jpg

The best thing Giacchino has ever written. If you think this doesn't follow a clear musical narrative, you really should give it another chance (Jay). ;)

It's the perfectly constructed album for something that is supposed to be background music for a series of battle setpieces and disjointed levels.

There are so many cues on here that blow me away, but the two favorites are placed one after another on the CD.

Instead of listing them and stating how incredibly fantastic they are I'll just put them up so everyone can listen, and rightfully agree. :)

The second is just called 'Arnhem'. Not really sure where the Knights comes from.

It is indeed among his very best scores if not the best.

And the Arnheim Knights is one of the levels in the game. I assume the piece Arnheim plays during that mission's story arc.

You jest, but that score does hit the spot and is worth a listen from time to time.

I don't jest. The Patriot is my favorite JW score. Not the best mind you, but I have a strong nostalgic attachment to it due to it being one of the scores that got me into film music.

The Iron Giant :music:

It's growing on me.

MOH: Frontline is a powerhouse of a game. "Disjointed levels" is hardly the right way to describe it. Playing "After The Drop" for the first time and hearing that choir come in is one of the most chilling moments of my video game history.