What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I'm trying to make it to the end of the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Deluxe Edition.

I'm not sure why I bothered. It's 90 minutes of incoherent, noisy trailer music. Ugh.

- TFA (new) combined playlist (OST and FYC)

- Close encounters of the third kind (2015 reissue)

Danny Elfman - Alice In Wonderland (OST)

Well, I've never loved this one, but never hated it either; It's always been just kinda there as a score with an all-time-great theme, but with not very memorable underscore between the theme statements.  It's a score I rarely revisit, but I hear the theme track often on some compilation playlists I have

Danny Elfman - Alice Through The Looking Glass

WOW!  Unlike the original, I instantly connected to this score.  The fantastic main theme goes through tons of great new variations, far more than it ever got in the first score.  Lots of good choral work, some silly music, action music, sub themes; This is one of the best Elfman scores in a while!  Already on my second listen now on Spotify, and I ordered the physical CD yesterday after my first listen!

Halfway through it. This is fantastic. The kind of Elfman that's actually quite interesting.

I'll join you guys and listen to it now, too!

I just finished up

Danny Elfman - Goosebumps (OST)

A fun score I enjoy a lot.  Nothing ground breaking, but nothing boring either.

Danny Elfman - Rabbit & Rogue

Fun!

Danny Elfman - The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Really good stuff.  I've still never listened to Tyler's tracks, only Elfman's.

2 hours ago, KK said:

Halfway through it. This is fantastic. The kind of Elfman that's actually quite interesting.

Agreed.  I've only listened to 3 minutes so far but I'm already enjoying it way more than Alice 2.

Listened to that one last week (the complete version like you did) and freaking loved it.  What a stellar score.

The edit I listened to had the source music (WIzard's pub and Hagrid playing the recorder) integrated into the main program and I loved it, its fits in perfectly with the score

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone by Marcin Przybyłowicz (and Percival Schuttenbach (folk ensemble))

Lair by John Debney and Kevin Kaska

A great review Karol! :)

I have to hurry home to listen to both Alice 2 and Rabbit and Rogue on Spotify!

The long Jarre-esque father and son bonding theme in that score is terribly underrated here I think. It has crazy good extended melodic development, lush orchestration in the typical golden era love theme Williams style, and it imbues a real sense of affection into the film, making it unique in that its inclusion results in the Last Crusade easily being the warmest feeling entry in the trilogy. As themes go it is classic Williams IMO. 

29 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It has several shorter motifs, no long-lined melodies.

Karol

I'm going to sample some tracks later. 

TLC is really a terrific score, on its own and as a sequel. The themes are really superb, the Grail theme being my absolute favourite among them.

I personally have a great affinity for KotCS but it is a tad on the dark side. Damn you Lucas and your interdimensional beings!

3 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

I wish we had a better representation of Irina's music available to us. 

I love Irina's theme to bits! Williams more or less perfectly captured the femme fatale of the film noir tradition with that theme. The concert version is even better than the versions found in the film but alas there is no official recording of it on disc. One would think that some orchestra like City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra would have at least recorded the concert suite with Adventures of the Mutt (The Swashbuckler),Call of the Crystal, A Whirl Through the Academe, Marion's Theme and Irina's Theme.

Just now, Incanus said:

I personally have a great affinity for KotCS but it is a tad on the dark side. Damn you Lucas and your interdimensional beings!

In terms of the action music, I'd say the opposite.  It's far too bouncy and lacks any dramatic weight or tension. 

2 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

The long Jarre-esque father and son bonding theme in that score is terribly underrated here I think. It has crazy good extended melodic development, lush orchestration in the typical golden era love theme Williams style, and it imbues a real sense of affection into the film, making it unique in that its inclusion results in the Last Crusade easily being the warmest feeling entry in the trilogy. As themes go it is classic Williams IMO. 

I'm going to sample some tracks later. 

Make sure one of them is Gamelan.

:music: Milk. Continuing my Elfman marathon with one of my personal favourites.

Karol

Nice review Karol.

Rogue & Rabbit features the flashes of Adams-esque writing you occasionally get from Elfman's smaller film scores, but blown up at full-scale. It's delightful.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I've always loved that theme. There are several really great themes in that score.

Yeah that one that sounds like the music from the EPCOT American Adventure or whatever it is, I love that one!  I've always thought it would be a nice theme for Williams himself.  Warm, wise, grandfatherly.  

American Beauty by Thomas Newman: Epitome of quirky Newman and he still finds time to pen a sweet little piano theme to melt your heart for this one.

Angels in America by Thomas Newman: All that is wonderful and tremendous about the composer is here in this impressive package. Beautiful.