What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Seriously though, it's one of those scores that never felt all that special back in 2000. But it proved to be more durable than expected. It has everything - a collection of strong themes, sweping melodrama, lengthy and enjoyable action cues. It's among Horner's stongest works in the relatively dire 1998-2003 period.

And the album is very comprehensive as well. The only thing missing that I remember was the shark cue.

Karol

In retrospect it was a problematic yet successful phase - problematic for Horner's fuzzy and endless reworkings and repetitions that became a joke around the time of 'Bicentennial Man', which still is a heartbreakingly sentimental little gem, but this unduly overshadowed the great themes and textural innovations  of, say, 'Mighty Joe Young', 'Four Feathers' (a real favourite, with the boldest ethnic concoctions at this time in a Hollywood score) or even 'Beautiful Mind' and 'Deep Impact'. If only Horner would have produced more sensible albums...

I never finished listening to Deep Impact album. Bought it around 2001, I think, and it's still nowhere near the end.

Karol

I have yet to listen to the Perfect Storm. Somehow I have never gotten around to give it a spin. I'll need to rectify that ASAP.

Just now, Incanus said:

I have yet to listen to the Perfect Storm. I'll need to rectify that ASAP.

You've never heard The Perfect Storm:blink:

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

You've never heard The Perfect Storm:blink:

Karol

Shocking isn't it. ;)

But no. Never got around to it. Passed it by like Bicentennial Man and Bobby Jones, Stroke of Genius and the like.

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I never finished listening to Deep Impact album. Bought it around 2001, I think, and it's still nowhere near the end.

Karol

It is a more subdued version of 'Apollo 13' but i prefer its main theme to either one from that score. It's an album for the seasoned fan who is bored of the more obvious crowdpleasers (like 'Braveheart' etc.).

Just now, publicist said:

It is a more subdued version of 'Apollo 13' but i prefer its main theme to either one from that score. It's an album for the seasoned fan who is bored of the more obvious crowdpleasers (like 'Braveheart' etc.).

That would be Iris for me.

Karol

Nah, this is aesthetically so out of character for Horner and his - let's be honest here - pushy melodramatics for big Hollywood movies that i would recommend it in a Top 10 list.

Horner suffered somethings of a backlash in these years. Partly because of the omnipresent success of Titanic. But partly because his sometimes maddeningly tendency of barely disguised reuse.

I mean as much as I'm enjoying The Perfect Storm, it can easily be dismissed as Braveheart mixed with Apollo 13 plus some danger motif.

It took a lot of effort to love him back then. In the grander scheme of things the qualities of those works become more apparent. In a way, this strange part of his musical persona made him more interesting to me.

Currently listening to the expanded score of The BFB.

The Big Friendly Bearded.

Just mixed Lincoln and The BFG tracks together! :sarcasm:

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Currently listening to the expanded score of The BFB.

The Big Friendly Bearded.

Just mixed Lincoln and The BFG tracks together! :sarcasm:

Oh, wow; the "Big Friendly Lincoln" mash-up. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Oh, wow; the "Big Friendly Lincoln" mash-up. :lol:

I have also the Big Fucked Giant.

Mixing the tracks of the BFG and The Fury.

Signs by James Newton Howard

The Four Feathers by James Horner

Born on the Fourth of July by John Williams

Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams

I wonder if I'm the only one who finds the last score to be one of Williams' most impressionistic efforts. At times, harmonically on the simpler side, but incredibly evocative. Few scores are as effective as this one when it comes to creating musical imagery. Just a masterful combination of textures and colours to paint the locations, feelings and landscapes. It shares a lot with A.I. in that regard. Clearly a labour of love.

2 hours ago, KK said:

Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams

I love that score, maybe the peak of his artistic maturity.

And now, some Zen moments. Bon dimanche!

Yoda's playlist.

The BFG (OST)

I think it's a one-and-done. No, I'm sure of it. It put me in a Horner mood.

The Pagemaster (complete score)

Sneakers (complete score)

Titanic (SACD stereo downmix)

The Land Before Time - James Horner

It feels like a transitional score between vintage Horner ("Journey of Natty Gann") and his more modern writing. You hear some stylistic flourishes that Horner would explore in The Rocketeer, Titanic and even The Amazing Spider-Man. But it also feels timeless in the writing, especially the fantastic "The Great Migration" and Horner scores it like a live-action film. It's an enjoyable score, save the Diane Ross song.

The Perfect Storm? I saw the film once, and absolutely hated it. I seem to remember Horner playing a major part in that. Why should I want to listen to his score now? 

The BFG. That The Fury moment is just shocking! At first I thought Spotify made a mistake! A bit later I stopped listening to the album. It all feels too much like a computer program mangling the (pre)existing music of John Willliams. In other words ...

obiwan-arentthedroids.jpg

... this isn't the music you are looking for.

Alex

40 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

The Perfect Storm? I saw the film once, and absolutely hated it. I seem to remember Horner playing a major part in that. Why should I want to listen to his score now? 

Why should you indeed?

8 hours ago, Matt C said:

The Land Before Time - James Horner

It feels like a transitional score between vintage Horner ("Journey of Natty Gann") and his more modern writing. You hear some stylistic flourishes that Horner would explore in The Rocketeer, Titanic and even The Amazing Spider-Man. But it also feels timeless in the writing, especially the fantastic "The Great Migration" and Horner scores it like a live-action film. It's an enjoyable score, save the Diane Ross song.

But I like the song!

On 30/06/2016 at 3:29 PM, loert said:

French Connection (1971) by Don Ellis; a highly eclectic thriller score!

Glad to see another fan. Some incredibly bold stuff there--3 1/4 tone trumpets, 3 regular trumpets, 9 double basses etc. The two FC scores are in dire need of a re-recording, though. Awful sound quality on that track.

13 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

I recall laughter, and lots of it, coming from the audience, particularly from me, at the ending voice over by Marky Mark.  I have not seen it since, and do not plan on seeing it again.

The score album is overlong but it contains some really good stuff.

Let's put it this way. Horner's melodrama might be too much on screen but it makes for an entertaining, if overlong, standalone album. In other words: It doesn't need Petersen to work. ;)

Karol

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Peggy Sue Got Married

The Concert: John Barry

The Black Hole

and to shake it up a bit from the Barry block: a selection of Jerry Goldsmith suites.

13 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

But I like the song!

The lyrics are just... shit. 

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Let's put it this way. Horner's melodrama might be too much on screen but it makes for an entertaining, if overlong, standalone album. In other words: It doesn't need Petersen to work. ;)

Karol

Sometimes he dialed it back, like in The Journey of Natty Gann. Maybe I'm just a softy, but Horner nailed the emotion in that film.

The Rocketeer - James Horner, Intrada release

A sentimental favourite i ordered without much conviction that i would really need it: the old album is perfect, even the sound is bang punchy in that suspicious 'can't be a 1991 recording' way (Shawn Murphy was in top form that year). My concerns were mostly justified as the complete score pads out all the themes and motifs of the 50 minute release (sans songs) without necessarily adding new insights about them. But being the humans we are, the 500ml Ben & Jerry's Butter Pecan cup is always preferable to the 250ml one and in case of 'The Rocketeer', at least it's not going to cause you metabolic problems.

The retro charm of Joe Johnson's rocket man cartoon movie is perfectly rendered by Horner's winkingly anachronistic approach, its broad americana main theme drawing heavily from Randy Newman's 'The Natural' while the Wagnerian menace of the nazi music, the little allusions to period swing  and the velvety, misty-eyed love theme give it a distinct old-school flavour while staying comparatively modern in its orchestrational handling. 

Horner approached the whole project with a vigour that sadly vanished shortly thereafter. It's not the magnum opus that 'Willow' was - the scope is much smaller here - but that's more than compensated by a succession of action cues that are as remarkable today as they were in 1991: the above-linked 'Flying Circus' is a light-footed wedding of heroic derring-do mixed with Carl-Stalling like cartoon skippers interpolated with such ease and skill that it makes you long for one 'Deep Impact' less for a handful of animated Disney movies. 'The Zeppelin' is the other big event that's thankfully also kept light, by virtue of a vibrant woodwind section - in fact, the instrumental variety is a joy to behold - and all the long-ish cues that range between 5 and 9 minutes are, as usual, a marvel of construction.

One might say that the ingredients make for a hell of an entertaining score that is not especially deep - it isn't required to - so i hesitate to put it in a Horner Top 3 but it might rightfully make a Top 10 and a Top 20 with ease. 

35 minutes ago, publicist said:

The Rocketeer - James Horner, Intrada release

A sentimental favourite i ordered without much conviction that i would really need it: the old album is perfect, even the sound is bang punchy in that suspicious 'can't be a 1991 recording' way (Shawn Murphy was in top form that year). My concerns were mostly justified as the complete score pads out all the themes and motifs of the 50 minute release (sans songs) without necessarily adding new insights about them. But being the humans we are, the 500ml Ben & Jerry's Butter Pecan cup is always preferable to the 250ml one and in case of 'The Rocketeer', at least it's not going to cause you metabolic problems.

The retro charm of Joe Johnson's rocket man cartoon movie is perfectly rendered by Horner's winkingly anachronistic approach, its broad americana main theme drawing heavily from Randy Newman's 'The Natural' while the Wagnerian menace of the nazi music, the little allusions to period swing  and the velvety, misty-eyed love theme give it a distinct old-school flavour while staying comparatively modern in its orchestrational handling. 

Horner approached the whole project with a vigour that sadly vanished shortly thereafter. It's not the magnum opus that 'Willow' was - the scope is much smaller here - but that's more than compensated by a succession of action cues that are as remarkable today as they were in 1991: the above-linked 'Flying Circus' is a light-footed wedding of heroic derring-do mixed with Carl-Stalling like cartoon skippers interpolated with such ease and skill that it makes you long for one 'Deep Impact' less for a handful of animated Disney movies. 'The Zeppelin' is the other big event that's thankfully also kept light, by virtue of a vibrant woodwind section - in fact, the instrumental variety is a joy to behold - and all the long-ish cues that range between 5 and 9 minutes are, as usual, a marvel of construction.

One might say that the ingredients make for a hell of an entertaining score that is not especially deep - it isn't required to - so i hesitate to put it in a Horner Top 3 but it might rightfully make a Top 10 and a Top 20 with ease. 

I agree, wonderfully joyous gem of a score that just makes you happy by listening to it.

The BFG by John Williams: Very familiar in style but solid effort with a lovely small scale main theme. Hopefully it will grow on me more over subsequent listens.

Creation by Christopher Young: As I have said before it is always lovely to hear Young given opportunities to get out of his usual horror/action niches and into something more dramatic and pensive, which seems he also has quite a knack when given the opportunity. This has to be one of my favourite efforts of his in the drama genre, quiet, lyrical, at times challenging and heartfelt and anchored in two beautiful main themes full of longing and sorrow.

Uncommon Valor. The second half might be more appealing to most Horner fans but Asian flavoured opening might be the best thing about this score. Horner doing Goldsmith again?

Also: Sneakers and The Rocketeer

Karol