Jump to content
Ollie

What Is The Last Score You Listened To?

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I don't think there are any other JW/SS scores higher on my priority list. Other than maybe updated Hook and Indy. 

 

Karoo

Pardon my ignorance, what needs to be updated on hook? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, D_nev said:

Pardon my ignorance, what needs to be updated on hook? 

It's not complete, it's not chronological, they use multiple sources some of which are taken from film stems. Which means inferior quality and film edita/loops being retained. It just won't do. There are far better fan edits out there.

 

Karol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It's not complete, it's not chronological, they use multiple sources some of which are taken from film stems. Which means inferior quality and film edita/loops being retained. It just won't do. There are far better fan edits out there.

 

Karol

That’s makes sense! Thanks!  

I guess I don’t have an ear for that type of stuff. I have the LLL expanded release and didn’t really notice anything. Though, I’ve never heard any other versions (other than the original OST) so I didn’t have much to compare to!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there were a lot of people who liked it. But in the heyday of film music expansions this particular set felt bit, shall we say, half-arsed. Mike Matessino didn't out this one together and when asked about it...he offered his "no comment". And that he'd like to redo that.

 

Karol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I'm sure there were a lot of people who liked it. But in the heyday of film music expansions this particular set felt bit, shall we say, half-arsed. Mike Matessino didn't out this one together and when asked about it...he offered his "no comment". And that he'd like to redo that.

 

Karol

Well, I’d certainly purchase an updated version if it ever came out!

 

I am someone who enjoys the current set as well though so I personally have no problem waiting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Incanus said:

Well I certainly wouldn't mind expansions of those two. But I think there are some priorities before those among the JW/Spielberg collaborations.

Excluding Indiana Jones, the only priority over these two would be Amistad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Oh I would love to have Amistad.

 

Karol

 

21 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

It is THE holy grail!

 

19 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I think there might be quite a bit missing from the original album.

 

Karol

This might be one of the most stereotypical film score fan forum posts I've ever seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

This might be one of the most stereotypical film score fan forum posts I've ever seen.

Writing that you get a boner from certain film scores is not any better, just because it's unusual.:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the narrated score tells everything better than the movie.

 

This 32 minutes narrated Suite (McCourt is the author) is also very good:
 

p_tanglewood75.jpg

 

Music from Angela's Ashes (2000) (2012, BSO Classics, Digital Release; McCourt, Boston Pops O/Williams)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams; Narrated by Frank McCourt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Some day, I swear I will watch that film.

You definitely should! I personally enjoy it! It may not be for everyone though! 

 

I accidentally bought the American release of this score and it has all the narrations on it so I had to buy the European release so I didnt have to listen to Frank McCourt talk every time I listened to the score.  

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Well, the narrated score tells everything better than in the movie.

 

This 32 minutes narrated Suite (McCourt is the author) is also very good:
 

p_tanglewood75.jpg

 

Music from Angela's Ashes (2000) (2012, BSO Classics, Digital Release; McCourt, Boston Pops O/Williams)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams; Narrated by Frank McCourt.

I quite enjoy that as well! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:music: Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Last Jedi expanded edits. I don't know what people are talking about when complaining about those. Sure, it's not exactly groundbreaking stuff but I'd say for a 7th and 8th films in the series Williams has shown some stamina and managed to keep the galaxy far away quite fresh. To write two 3-hour scores with this much going on, and in mid-80's, must be quite an undertaking. Not sure what he's taking but I want some. ;) The prequels might have been more interesting in terms of evolution of Williams' style but the new score scores have way more emotion. In context of creating a grand space opera, it actually might be more important. Star Wars needs this over the top Golen Age-like orchestral melodrama. I absolutely cannot wait for the conclusion!

 

Karol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crocodile said:

:music: Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Last Jedi expanded edits. I don't know what people are talking about when complaining about those. Sure, it's not exactly groundbreaking stuff but I'd say for a 7th and 8th films in the series Williams has shown some stamina and managed to keep the galaxy far away quite fresh. To write two 3-hour scores with this much going on, and in mid-80's, must be quite an undertaking. Not sure what he's taking but I want some. ;) The prequels might have been more interesting in terms of evolution of Williams' style but the new score scores have way more emotion. In context of creating a grand space opera, it actually might be more important. Star Wars needs this over the top Golen Age-like orchestral melodrama. I absolutely cannot wait for the conclusion!

 

Karol

Well said! I totally agree with you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...