What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

34 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Jerry is a bot too!?

:o

I assure you, I would never stoop that low!

35 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame by Alan Menken

I gifted myself with this a while back. One of my all-time favourite Disney scores. I have great hope that it is somehow worked in to a continuation of the wonderfully extensive Legacy Collection.

On that note, I'm looking at two great Bruns expansions- The Aristocats and Robin Hood. Oo-da-lolly!

4 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I assure you, I would never stoop that low!

I gifted myself with this a while back. One of my all-time favourite Disney scores. I have great hope that it is somehow worked in to a continuation of the wonderfully extensive Legacy Collection.

On that note, I'm looking at two great Bruns expansions- The Aristocats and Robin Hood. Oo-da-lolly!

_Post_Concluded

Post_text_count_: 1001_characters

Quote_count_: 2_quotes

Personnel_Quoted_: Steve_Mc

_Collecting_Other_Data_

Jerry_Bot_
                Signing_Off

:P

2 minutes ago, John said:

This is how you craft a meme!

You know, I also kind of think that Williams should have won.  But, an exceedingly close call.

9 minutes ago, John said:

This is how you craft a meme!

Oof. Moby Games watermark? Seriously, brother?!

You make me want to get back into the business just so I can restore order to the memes on these forums.

7 minutes ago, Ii2 said:

_Post_Concluded

Post_text_count_: 1001_characters

Quote_count_: 2_quotes

Personnel_Quoted_: Steve_Mc

_Collecting_Other_Data_

Jerry_Bot_
                Signing_Off

#a-conspiracy-unmasked

Superman. I have listened to most of the 1st two discs. I have had The 7 disc HP set and barely listened to 1. If HP is 5 star John Williams music then Superman is a 6 or 7.  

On 4/27/2019 at 7:15 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Oof. Moby Games watermark? Seriously, brother?! You make me want to get back into the business just so I can restore order to the memes on these forums.

You wanna play rough, eh? Okay!

On 5/2/2018 at 5:59 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

*removed upon request*

You call these memes? How are they funny? Where’s the punchline?

Like Derek Cianfrance's previous films, 'The Light between Oceans' benefits from its great actors. Oscillating between romantic hero/driven stricken man, Michael Fassbender lets the inner struggle of his character shimmer in every nuance. Yet, this film does not match the vibrant intensity of 'Blue Valentine' but rather recalls the obvious, melodramatic grinder screws of 'A Place between the Pines'. The setting - a lighthouse island called Janus Rock on the shores of 1920's Australia - directs us toward the Captain-Obvious metaphors for dummies to follow that passes for profundity these day (things will involve a lot of duplicitous, two-faced developments, get it?)

With its broad picturesque location shots come the sweeping musical gestures - or at least the 2016 incarnations of those - and Alexandre Desplat delivers a still-to-harmonically-stagnant but occasionally lovely, elegantly written thematic score. Judicious pruning will neutralize the lack of dramatic development (the album needs to be cut in half, at least) and leave you with a soft, muted musical greeting card that nevertheless has an attracting surface. Lowered expectations, sure, but still a recommendation.

'Blade Runner 2049' i dismissed in 2016 as disappointing hack work but still put it on my back list: i liked the movie very much and admittedly didn't found much energy to wade through another eternal Spotify recording session dump in any great detail. While this thing still stinks as it is, a good 40-minute selection probably would've helped to focus on the score's (few) strengths, which come halfway between Vangelis clone and atmospheric sci-fi scoring on the level of, say, Cliff Martinez or Price's 'Gravity'.

While Vangelis' original is certainly far from a rounded musical work, it offers a few great ingredients, textures and angelic concept pieces like the elusive opening with its wide-open sphere (still sounding great today, with an application of synthesizers and samplers that betray the guy's genius at this kind of stuff), the noir sax love theme, the tinkling electronic glockenspiel that somehow reaches into the ambiguousness of Scott's world-building (the end title was one of the first sci-fi film music pieces i found truly mesmerizing).

Wallfisch/Zimmer are, at best, able to riff on it the same way in which McNeely once pilfered John Williams' mannerisms: you appreciate the effort, shrug and go back to the source. This relates most to 2049's inspired virtual love-angle, and of course the wholesale copy of the Rutger Hauer 'Tears in the Rain' speech. Some of the new additions, chief among them a grand sampled starting engine effect, are showy in a dumb kind of way but never approach the kind of transcendent effect that Vangelis infused in the 1982 movie.

An awful lot of minute-long pedal points are simply there to fill any blank spots on the soundtrack (that's a lot for a movie running three hours) and the lack of narrative (and, frankly, musical) drive make this release simply an effrontery.

12 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Superman. I have listened to most of the 1st two discs. I have had The 7 disc HP set and barely listened to 1. If HP is 5 star John Williams music then Superman is a 6 or 7.  

I had finally stop spinning Superman. I’ve mostly spent my time on POA from the Potter set. 

16 hours ago, John said:

You wanna play rough, eh? Okay!

You call these memes? How are they funny? Where’s the punchline?

Take those down right now! Please.

Bud, it was a joke.

:music: Us by Michael Abels. It should have been a more concise album but there's enough good stuff in here to keep me interested. For the most part it's a very listenable and coherent horror score which is rare enough:

Karol

7 hours ago, publicist said:

This relates most to 2049's inspired virtual love-angle

Are you talking about the "consummation" scene? (trying to be vague) That was the spot where the music stood out for me most, creating something distinct from the original while following Vangelis' spirit--I'll explain what I mean by that in a moment. The music was genuinely unsettling in a "something's off" way, while also being genuinely sensual. Color me impressed on that!

You used the word transcendental to describe Vangelis' score for Blade Runner. One of the reasons it's a favorite of mine is because it transcends the realm of film score: it's like Vangelis didn't really score the film per se, but broke the film down to its most basic elements, in an abstracted kaleidoscope, and wrote music for those crystallized fragments. Layering that music on top of a film called Blade Runner, and the result you get is one that is, cliches aside, truly haunting and creeps like a fog into the pores of your skin and gets you to the bone. 

And the music for Blade Runner 2049 is underscore for the film Blade Runner 2049, know what I mean? It was my biggest concern about the movie before it was released, and my worries were mostly borne out to be true. 

7 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Are you talking about the "consummation" scene? (trying to be vague) That was the spot where the music stood out for me most, creating something distinct from the original while following Vangelis' spirit

Not only this scene, but the angle as such (it has three or four spots in the movie though those in the apartment last longest). 

32 minutes ago, publicist said:

Not only this scene, but the angle as such (it has three or four spots in the movie though those in the apartment last longest). 

I know exactly what you're talking about, now, yeah. I remember the visuals and dialogue for a lot of those very strongly--particularly the heart-drooping "Daaammnnn...." holographic billboard scene closer to the climax--but I have no recollection of the music at all. 

14 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Us by Michael Abels. It should have been a more concise album but there's enough good stuff in here to keep me interested

Hi Karol, out of interest, do you have a shortened playlist you could recommend for this? I agree that it’d sound better in a shorter presentation

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

w-uePqqu5qBU_NObJv8rhhKUpScr-_wkdlyrxbcG

:rock:

"Isolated Pawn", "En Passant", and "Shy Princess" are some of my favorite Williams tracks. It's really fun hearing the hints of what was to come, such as the first track I mentioned foreshadowing some devices Williams would pull out for tracks such as "Princess Leia's Theme" and the Love Theme from Superman.

The Shelley Manne album is solid, too, especially with the Isolated Pawn.

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

"Isolated Pawn", "En Passant", and "Shy Princess" are some of my favorite Williams tracks. It's really fun hearing the hints of what was to come, such as the first track I mentioned foreshadowing some devices Williams would pull out for tracks such as "Princess Leia's Theme" and the Love Theme from Superman.

The Shelley Manne album is solid, too, especially with the Isolated Pawn.

I love "Far Outside Place."  The arrangement is so beautiful and precise, and the harmonies are gorgeous.

:lovethis:

18 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

The Johnny Williams snoozefests with poor sound were the first to go when I stopped being a completist.

So you got rid of A.I., Munich, Geisha, and the likes

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Burned any films lately?

I purchased a plasma arc. Now i can do so in an environmentally safe method.

:music: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

11 hours ago, Bofur01 said:

Hi Karol, out of interest, do you have a shortened playlist you could recommend for this? I agree that it’d sound better in a shorter presentation

Oh sorry, just read this. I actually didn't get a chance to do this yet. Because I'm lazy. ;)

Karol

:music: Star Trek: The Motion Picture OST

The complete score is too long. The OST is all you need. It's one of the best refreshers I've ever had for a composer and genre after such a lengthy break from this movie background music thing. 

Rosewood (OST) - John Williams

It's honestly one of his most effective releases of the era as a standalone album listening experience.  Great soundtrack!

It's a really great sounding disc too.

:music:Son of the Morning Star by Craig Safan. As pretty as this score is in its entirety, I'm not quite sure we need two discs of this. Judging by the track listing of the original album it looks it was a perfect presentation of this. Having said that, it's great that Intrada released this one.

Karol

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Rosewood (OST) - John Williams

It's honestly one of his most effective releases of the era as a standalone album listening experience.  Great soundtrack!

Yeah it is a great album and a listening experience although I usually prefer the complete score as it contains some really cool little moments sprinkled throughout that weren't on the OST. The whole score has such a unique mood going on from start to finish hearkening back to Williams' rural Americana from the 1970's and 1980's. 

23 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The whole score has such a unique mood going on from start to finish hearkening back to Williams' rural Americana from the 1970's and 1980's. 

But it also has a darkness, and a sadness, that you just don't find in The Reivers or Sugarland.  I'm so, so glad circumstances aligned for him to do Rosewood.  A very special score.

Avengers: Age of Ultron by Danny Elfman & Brian Tyler

This is my kind of Avengers score! While I felt Silvestri's Infinity War was often alla grave balanced with more focused action and energy, Age of Ultron has a lot of energy, sometimes too much, propelling each track forward. There's not too many moments to catch a breath of air, so to speak, which can I either be seen as a plus or a handicap, depending on your musical tastes within this genre. With the two composers contributing in different ways, it's kind of pleasant to hear them work really well together. I was able to guess though, without looking at the credits, who composed which tracks based on sound. At the end of the day, this kept me involved because of it being fast-paced (and containing some kick-ass themes), but I don't think I'd esteem it higher than the Silvestri Avengers.

21 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

But it also has a darkness, and a sadness, that you just don't find in The Reivers or Sugarland.  I'm so, so glad circumstances aligned for him to do Rosewood.  A very special score.

It's interesting contrasting it with the rejected Marsalis score, which contains similar instrumentation and passages but without the overt tragedy.  Williams's approach was the right one in the end I think.  

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It's interesting contrasting it with the rejected Marsalis score, which contains similar instrumentation and passages but without the overt tragedy.  Williams's approach was the right one in the end I think.  

Interesting that Sony released both the official and unused score, isn't it?  I'm glad they did!  It certainly shows there were probably no hard feelings.  Marsalis' album is a cool listen, I like it, but you can certainly see why Singleton decided he needed to go a different direction.

10 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

At World's End (Expanded score) by Hans Zimmer & Co. 

1. 70 tracks must be a record of some sort.

2. The score is more thematic than I remembered, while still having lots of unique moments and a varied underscore.

3. I stopped for an 8-fold loop on Battle with the Brits. The scene is unworthy of this cue.

4. The third act is a glorious maelstrom of themes and action writing that knows few equals. 

First of all, this is the greatest of the Pirates of the Caribbean scores.

In regards to your points...

1. 70 cues is a lot, but many of them are edited together in the cut of the film, so a proper release would probably see a few less tracks, I'd imagine. Some edits already narrow it down to under 30. I think I recall seeing a Wallfisch score that had something like 100 cues, but I don't recall which one.

2. Yes! Probably the most thematically driven score of the franchise.

3. I did the same when I first heard it. I thino @Holko shares that same response, based off of conversations, if I recall.

4. Nice way to put it. A "maelstrom" of music is right!

Angels in America by Thomas Newman: Eclectic and excellent. Pure Newman awesomeness, all his great musical qualities in one package.

I've had various albums from the complete Our Planet set playing during car journeys recently and it's spectacular stuff with multiple series-wide themes which even seems to go a level above Fenton's original Planet Earth.

Apparently a couple of guys who worked with Zimmer on the BBC's recent sequel series also helped with this, but I get a better vibe from this one.

Bambi by Larry Morey, Ed Plumb & Frank Churchill

A classic, to say the least. The title song, "Love is a Song", is heartwarming and hearkens back to the innocence and timelessness of the the early Disney productions. Little April Shower is another lovely song. As for the score, there are so many lovely moments. My favourite track has got to be 
Gallop of the Stags/The Great Prince of the Forest/Man. A few negative takeaways is that this 2005 album, which is reportedly restored, doesn't have the greatest sound quality, but considering it's dealing with tapes from the 1940s, I'm not sure how much better it could get. One thing is for sure- Bambi should probably receive a Legacy Collection update, if there will be a continuation. Secondly, and on a much smaller scale, they included the gun firing sound effect in the Tragedy in the Meadow track, which was kind of disruptive, but perhaps that was intentional. I'm not entirely pleased with that, but there have been worse sound effect tie-ins on albums.