What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Air Force One (Deluxed Edition) by Jerry Goldsmith (and with help from the awed Joel McNeely): While it is very straightforward in execution with basically two themes going at each other in a fight for supremacy, a very heroic Americana main theme full of pomp and fanfare and the indelibly Russian villain theme of simple yet wonderfully malleable construction, Goldsmith's music packs still a heck of a punch and even in this 90-minute form provides a thrilling listening experience, perhaps even more so than the original 35-minute album as this one contains more breathing room and some missing action highlights. I have been waiting for this release basically ever since I heard the score in the film and got the original album. Sweet sweet 1990's nostalgia combined with some classic Goldsmith action. A winner in my book.

The Minority Report OST album is really poorly constructed . Too many important moments not included at all, and while the first 45 minutes of the OST is a decent enough album of highlights, that is followed by 30 straight minutes of significantly less interesting music to end the album.  Really odd decisions.

Jerry Goldsmith - Air Force One (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Super fun score that is a pleasure to finally have in complete form.

Christopher Larkin - Hollow Knight (OST)

Wonderful score, looking forward to his sequel score

John Barry - Howard The Duck (Intrada)

I tried but I just can't get into this!  I checked out the samples when the page went up and was surprised by how much I liked them, so got excited to hear the release.  I've now listened to it a few times (just disc 1), and man, it just doesn't do it for me.  I mostly just hear music close to Dances With Wolves, but not as good as Dances With Wolves. Hearing this basically juts makes me want to turn it off and put DWW on instead.  Oh well.

Michael Giachino - Jojo Rabbit

A bunch of disjointed quirky music that doesn't hold interest for 38 minutes.  The 3 score cuts on the song compilation album are all you need.

Yasunori Mitsuda & pals - Xenoblade Chronicles II

Never get tired of listening to this amazing music

Jake Kaufman - Shantae and the Pirate's Curse

I love the first 7-8 tracks then kind of lose interest.  Might revisit after finally playing more of the game.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Minority Report OST album is really poorly constructed . Too many important moments not included at all, and while the first 45 minutes of the OST is a decent enough album of highlights, that is followed by 30 straight minutes of significantly less interesting music to end the album.  Really odd decisions.

Recently, I've come to appreciate how the OST gets more noir-ish towards the end.

I like the flow of the complete score better.  The action music is more spread out, the themes are more built up and then paid off, and there are less repetitive moments.  And it still builds towards a noir-ish finale.  Plus the end credits are at the end, instead of the beginning :p

John Powell - Solo (OST)

I think I listen to this score more now than I ever did last year.  This is really good.  I want a complete version.

Michael Giacchino - Rogue One (FYC)

I wanted to listen to this because I hadn't in a long time... and never really liked it.  Finally after a huge break I listened again and.. still don't like it at all.  And unlike many scores that are popular, that I can listen to and go "I get why many others like this, it just isn't for me", which this score I actually find it to be poorly written, poorly constructed, mostly just a large boring mess.  I am actually surprised so many people love it.  He's done everything he does here better in other scores.  Oh well.

Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy IV

After being so dissappointed by RO I had to put on something I knew I would like.  Every time I listen to this score it's like an old friend coming over reminisce in a warm living room on a cold day.  This score is perfect

I like to keep it short and simple, so for me the centerpieces are Escape from the City, Intersection Scene and Ferry Scene with the Prologue and Epilogue as sweetener. The rest, while not any worse, is more or less ballast. I think i liked the Goldsmithian Car Attack, but that's about it.

Last few days, been on the Star Wars what with the Ep. 9 trailer and the tickets in Vienna:

The Last Jedi

Attack Of The Clones

The Force Awakens

Love all three.

Also been hammering Across The Stars, and David W Collins on The Soundtrack Show had me listening again to Grusin's The Goonies.

Had a delivery today of a couple CDs missing from my JW collection, Memoirs Of A Geisha and Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull so looking forward to digging into them!

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

I like to keep it short and simple, so for me the centerpieces are Escape from the City, Intersection Scene and Ferry Scene with the Prologue and Epilogue as sweetener. The rest, while not any worse, is more or less ballast. I think i liked the Goldsmithian Car Attack, but that's about it.

These are solid selections in any case. :)

Karol

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Not a fan of this?

I love this track from 2:32 on. Williams goes metal, you can feel him raise his pinky and index finger, exclaiming, "Hell yeah, motherfuckahs!"

My favorite track is probably 

Or

Damn, that's the Towner touch. All of the dramatic songs from this score are top of the game.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

John Powell - Solo (OST)

I think I listen to this score more now than I ever did last year.  This is really good.  I want a complete version.

How much significant music was missing from the OST? I can't recall any major pieces from watching the film.

9 minutes ago, Incanus said:

How much significant music was missing from the OST? I can't recall any major pieces from watching the film.

Well, there are two statements of The Imperial March. One if which us the hilarious major mode source music version (heard below). I think there's around 45 minutes missing. I can't remember every detail because the music mixing the film is quite bad but need all of it.

Oh and this:

Karol

16 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Mainly just wish it dropped the Williams cue in favor of inserting another more subdued cue from the score in the OST, since it's so action-heavy as is. 

You fiend!  How could you suggest such atrocity! Go back to the shadows and Child's Play 2!

All the album needed was a proper end credits suite but I basically switched Williams' track at the end to cover that. Works fine. 45 minutes of missing music you say? Hmmm. I watched the film on a flight last year so the sound wasn't that good to begin with and combined with the mix of the film no wonder I missed all those things.

I bet they buried these scores to give folks incentive to buy the soundtracks. Don’t like these sound effects in the way of this music you want to hear? Then perhaps consider purchasing the soundtrack, only $19.99! 

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

Sometimes it's not about the amount of music, but the right music.  The OST program is soooooo action-heavy, a lot of interesting work he did for the "in between" scenes is missing and would really help flesh the entire score out.

8 hours ago, Incanus said:

Not an exact match to this question but I collected my favourite pieces when I watched it possibly for the last time:

On 9/12/2018 at 10:16 PM, Holko said:

Interesting unreleased bits of music:

Reveal hidden contents

Minority Report (Expanded Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by John Williams: The LLL 2 CD set is a wonderful complete presentation of this neo noir thriller score by the inestimable Maestro. If you are looking for dark brooding John Williams mixed with intense modern kinetic action and suspense and some sweet melancholic melodic interludes look no further.

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

If you are looking for dark brooding John Williams mixed with intense modern kinetic action and suspense and some sweet melancholic melodic interludes look no further.

Hmmm, I'm actually looking for a bright, effervescent John Williams mixed with relaxed, old-fashioned languid action.  Darn!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Hmmm, I'm actually looking for a bright, effervescent John Williams mixed with relaxed, old-fashioned languid action.  Darn!

Well you're not going to find it in here! Move along, there is nothing to hear here! No balletic action and no bubbly themes! No sirree! 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

You described them...

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Hmmm... Home Alone? Always? Sabrina?

...and you called them - some of my least favourite Williams scores. It goes without saying that I love Minority Report.

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

...and you called them - some of my least favourite Williams scores.

You obviously haven't heard some of his 1960's comedy output then I take it.

4 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Always is one of his best scores.

Never!

It's an OK score with a couple of truly wonderful impressionistic tracks featuring James Thatcher's beautiful horn solos, Among the Clouds being the highlight.

Minority Report (LLL set) by John Williams

Air Force One (Varese Deluxe Edition) by Jerry Goldsmith

The Mummy (Intrada set) by Jerry Goldsmith

44 minutes ago, Incanus said:

It's an OK score with a couple of truly wonderful impressionistic tracks featuring James Thatcher's beautiful horn solos, Among the Clouds being the highlight.

Yes, i have to confess that 'Among the Clouds' and the finale are two Williams pieces i prefer over lots of his more bombastic stuff.

The Mummy Returns (Intrada release) by Alan Silvestri 

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (LLL release) by John Williams

image.png

A Hidden Life - JNH

Malick films are one thing, the scores a very different matter. I quite like some aspects of Hanan Townshend's scores, 'To the Wonder' in particular, the Morricone, Zimmer, Desplat and Horner scores all belong to their respective years' best in music written for films, and JNH makes no exception. More a tone poem, or to make it sound less pompous, a collection of the composers' own musical reflections on Malick's cerebral topics.

In that respect it's not surprising that you can clearly hear the fingerprints of each composer (though less pronounced in Zimmer's team effort) very clearly. In JNH's case a continuation of his reflective side, a more concerto-like setting of motivic and coloristic ideas from 'The Village' and 'Snow Falling on Cedars' and, barring the more typical clichés of narrative film music (the swells, the suspense and so on), it's clearly one of his very best (your mile may vary, as many fans of this will bemoan their absence). 

Easy to digest as it is (branched in recent minimalist trends of i. e. Richter, though ironically sounding less arbitrary), the effect is very soothing yet it doesn't feel trivial. It's not making a claim for a big epic, but the little brushstrokes here go a rather long way, and, to my never-ending delight, it's rather short in Fox's award selection. For a Best-of 2019 list, it qualifies easily.