What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

Just watched Back to the Future. It'd been a little while since I'd watched the film, though I of course remembered it perfectly. What a perfect film! Never gets old, honestly. I'm hoping to watch Parts II and III before too long, as well. I don't know if I've ever watched all three in a row within a short period of time.

BTW, one of my favorite public moviegoing experiences was seeing this film projected on the side of a building for a relatively small local audience. (I never got to see it in its original theatrical run.) Clearly, a lot of the audience members were fans, and it was just so much fun getting to enjoy the film with a group of other people like that.

But it all looks so eighties...

;)

Never gets old, honestly.

What is it with JWfan and Back To The Future? That film seems to be almost in everyone's top 5 here. It's like it's mandatory for a JW fan to praise it. Is the film perhaps an visual equivalent for the music of Williams?

village-of-the-damned.jpg

Members of JWfan in creepy unison: "Yes, Back To The Future never gets old!"

Alex

so he didnt know what his own vision was!?

(and how hard was most of the changes that he did to do at the time that he filmed them? the scream when Luke falls down the pit in cloud city or when han shoots first for example?)

He lied. He lied to us. Terminate him. Immediately!

Making Greedo shoot first was a revisionist change, brought on by two decades of guilt about giving one of the "good guys" this rough edge where he shoots this alien who has no clear intent on killing him, just bringing him in for the bounty.

I love the Han with the rough edge. Otherwise, why keep all the closeups of Han getting his gun into position while distracting Greedo?

thats my point, there really was no "original vision" or atleast only some of that is in the SE, it was all made up as he went along, which is why he changed Star Wars to Episode IV: A New Hope after the film came out and before ESB came out/was made

Just watched Back to the Future. It'd been a little while since I'd watched the film, though I of course remembered it perfectly. What a perfect film! Never gets old, honestly. I'm hoping to watch Parts II and III before too long, as well. I don't know if I've ever watched all three in a row within a short period of time.

BTW, one of my favorite public moviegoing experiences was seeing this film projected on the side of a building for a relatively small local audience. (I never got to see it in its original theatrical run.) Clearly, a lot of the audience members were fans, and it was just so much fun getting to enjoy the film with a group of other people like that.

One of my best ever cinema-going memories is when I went to see "BTTF" on its opening night at The Empire, Leicester Square, in early December, 1985.

As the camera pulled back to reveal the f**k-off loudspeaker, I could see people in the audience physically moving back in their seats in anticipation of the sound that it was going to make - and, boy, did it make it!

A brilliant film, and "Back To The Future: Part II" craps all over it. :P

Must disagree there. Like Jaws, the original is best.

Ha, ha, ha! :lol: Knew I'd get some flack over this!

IMHO, "BTTF:II" is a more engaging, more entertaining film. It is complex, and tightly paced. It's like seeing three films in one.

Usually, Mr. Quint, I would agree with you - all other "Jaws" films are not fit to lick the s**t off of the original's shoes, but there are some sequels that, I believe, surpass, and eclipse the original:

"The Godfather: Part II",

"Toy Story 2",

and "The Empire Strikes Back", to name but three. If we are being pedantic (and when, at JWfan, are we not?) almost all of the Bond films surpass "Dr. No".

I understand that "BTTF" has a special place in fan's hearts, as well as 80s cinema, but I prefer to watch "Part II". Simples.

Only on JWFan? Nah, BTTF's appeal reaches out way beyond this little place. It's beloved throughout the western world.

Yes, it has a strong following everywhere.

"What is it with JWfan and Back To The Future? That film seems to be almost in everyone's top 5 here. It's like it's mandatory for a JW fan to praise it."

It's (by extension) Spielberg, why shouldn't it?

(oh and some people here are Alan Silvestri fans)

Also in Malta?

No, not there. The people of Malta despise Christopher Lloyd. He's loved in Madagascar, though, meaning BTTF is adored there too, naturally.

why?

Also in Malta?

No, not there. The people of Malta despise Christopher Lloyd. He's loved in Madagascar, though, meaning BTTF is adored there too, naturally.

why?

He desecrated a prized falcon there once. He can never set foot on the island again.

What's amazing about Back To The Future 2 is something I had NO idea about watching it as a kid:

That Crispin Glover filmed no new scenes for it - that the old version of himself in 2015 is a different actor, and ALL the footage in the 1955 scenes are outtakes from the original film. It's VERY impressive what they were able to pull off - you'd never know!

I remember watching BTTF2, being spoiler free, and having absolutely no idea they'd be revisiting the 1950s. I think my mouth was hanging open, because I'd assumed the entire film would take place in the future.

I got the BttF Blu box for Christmas, it was the first time since the VHS days that I'd watched II and III, and I was pleasantly surprised how enjoyable they were. Definitely one of the most solid trilogies out there.

Nice. I hadn't seen any of the BTTF movies since the VHS days either, and then I saw BTTF1 in the theater a few months back and it was awesome. I really want to see BTTF 2 & 3 now, and will as soon as I can get the blu

I watched Part II last night and this morning, and I must say...be careful what you wish for. I'd hoped to be viewing the trilogy with a rather more mature perspective than I used to, and that's exactly what's happened...and my enjoyment of Part II has suffered. =/ It used to be a contender for my favorite of the three (with the original edging out simply because I always knew it was a very well-made film). But this time, I was rather put off by how much energy was invested in revisiting old scenes and gags, especially with the emphasis on reusing the same actor for multiple roles in the same frame. It starts to feel rather gimmicky..."Hey, look, it's Michael J. Fox eating dinner with Michael J. Fox and Michael J. Fox!" And the plot as a whole, while not difficult to understand, is a lot more...scatterbrained than the first film's. I mean, there's still a sort of three-act structure that basically works - send Old Biff back to change things, explore how badly things went wrong, and then fix them - but it doesn't have the sense of exquisite storytelling genius that the first film has. And some of the family similarities do strain credulity...I mean, I know this isn't a film to take seriously, but Biff's grandson looks exactly like him and Marty's son looks exactly like him and it's just weird.

But I'm sounding way more negative than I meant to. I still really enjoyed the film...I love all the future stuff, and convoluted time travel paradoxes and whatnot are always fun for me. The acting is still spot-on, the writing is very consistent with the first one, and I don't mind the fact that it gets darker in the middle. All the revisiting of the 50s stuff is very clever, and it ends up setting up the final film quite well. Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to watching Part III probably later today. I don't think my appreciation of that one will diminish as much.

I don't think my appreciation of that one will diminish as much.

Is that because you didn't appreciate it as much in the first place? Didn't put it on an artificial pedestal, perhaps?

What's amazing about Back To The Future 2 is something I had NO idea about watching it as a kid:

That Crispin Glover filmed no new scenes for it - that the old version of himself in 2015 is a different actor, and ALL the footage in the 1955 scenes are outtakes from the original film. It's VERY impressive what they were able to pull off - you'd never know!

...er, yeah, until Glover sued Universal over the use of his image, citing that it did not own Glover's image. Now, the SAG has a clause in its contract, forbidding studios to do such things without permission from the original actors.

so they cant use people that look like them? or they cant make them up to look just like that actor?

They are not allowed to use footage from a pervoius film in a current film (e.g. images of Glover standing in the doorway at the end of "BTTF", in "BTTF: III").

so they cant use people that look like them? or they cant make them up to look just like that actor?

They are not allowed to use footage from a pervoius film in a current film (e.g. images of Glover standing in the doorway at the end of "BTTF", in "BTTF: III").

so the Salkinds couldnt have done what they did in Supes II if that law was in effect back then?

EDIT: oh wait, they only replaced an arm, and used the York instead of Brando...

I watched Part II last night and this morning, and I must say...be careful what you wish for. I'd hoped to be viewing the trilogy with a rather more mature perspective than I used to, and that's exactly what's happened...and my enjoyment of Part II has suffered. =/ It used to be a contender for my favorite of the three (with the original edging out simply because I always knew it was a very well-made film). But this time, I was rather put off by how much energy was invested in revisiting old scenes and gags, especially with the emphasis on reusing the same actor for multiple roles in the same frame. It starts to feel rather gimmicky..."Hey, look, it's Michael J. Fox eating dinner with Michael J. Fox and Michael J. Fox!" And the plot as a whole, while not difficult to understand, is a lot more...scatterbrained than the first film's. I mean, there's still a sort of three-act structure that basically works - send Old Biff back to change things, explore how badly things went wrong, and then fix them - but it doesn't have the sense of exquisite storytelling genius that the first film has. And some of the family similarities do strain credulity...I mean, I know this isn't a film to take seriously, but Biff's grandson looks exactly like him and Marty's son looks exactly like him and it's just weird.

But I'm sounding way more negative than I meant to. I still really enjoyed the film...I love all the future stuff, and convoluted time travel paradoxes and whatnot are always fun for me. The acting is still spot-on, the writing is very consistent with the first one, and I don't mind the fact that it gets darker in the middle. All the revisiting of the 50s stuff is very clever, and it ends up setting up the final film quite well. Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to watching Part III probably later today. I don't think my appreciation of that one will diminish as much.

I completely agree, since I've known of its shortcomings for well over ten years.

Doesn't make it any less watchable, of course.

I don't think my appreciation of that one will diminish as much.

Is that because you didn't appreciate it as much in the first place? Didn't put it on an artificial pedestal, perhaps?

Something like that. I think when I was younger, my esteem for Part II was somewhat inflated by the cool stuff on the surface: seeing the future, revisiting scenes from the first film, etc. Even back then, I knew that the story was not as rock-solid as the first film's, but I was sort of consciously won over by the superficial stuff. But with Part III, I think my impression will probably be the same: that it's a very decent conclusion to the trilogy, with a more cohesive storyline than its predecessor, if perhaps a little preachy at the very end. Generally speaking, I'm more into sci-fi than westerns, so Part II still has that working in its favor.

Anyway, we'll see. :P

so the Salkinds couldnt have done what they did in Supes II if that law was in effect back then?

EDIT: oh wait, they only replaced an arm, and used the York instead of Brando...

Are you talking about the scene in the Fortress Of Solitude, where Clark Kent gets his powers back? Sorry to disappoint; that was an insert, shot for the "S:II RDC".

It's an interesting question, though. My guess is that they could, because it would have been footage that was previously shot, but not seen. Remember that there was a lot of negotiation between Warner Bros., and the estates of both Brando, and Reeve, before "S:II RDC" could be put together.

Really? You love Back To The Future Reloaded and Back To The Future Revolutions as well? Amazing!

No. The original isn't in my top 5, but it's around my favorites list somewhere. I enjoyed II and III a lot when I was younger, but I've outgrown them. The second one is all zany convoluted time-traveling and situations without any of the the heart of the original. The third isn't bad, but it's quite forgettable and it inexcusably destroys the Doc/Marty friendship at the end.

Are you talking about the scene in the Fortress Of Solitude, where Clark Kent gets his powers back? Sorry to disappoint; that was an insert, shot for the "S:II RDC".

It's an interesting question, though. My guess is that they could, because it would have been footage that was previously shot, but not seen. Remember that there was a lot of negotiation between Warner Bros., and the estates of both Brando, and Reeve, before "S:II RDC" could be put together.

I mean/meant in the original superman II, when "he" puts the green crystal in the ship during the opening credits montage

I completely agree, since I've known of its shortcomings for well over ten years.

Doesn't make it any less watchable, of course.

No. The original isn't in my top 5, but it's around my favorites list somewhere. I enjoyed II and III a lot when I was younger, but I've outgrown them. The second one is all zany convoluted time-traveling and situations without any of the the heart of the original. The third isn't bad, but it's quite forgettable and it inexcusably destroys the Doc/Marty friendship at the end.

Yes, yes, and yes. You guys summed up my feelings perfectly, thereby saving me the effort of having to lay them out myself.

Still, the trilogy as a whole is right up there with the best of them. Great concept, great (overall) execution, great fun.

And no . . . it never gets old. One need only be a fan of great cinema (not JW himself) to see that.

Incidentally--I haven't been involved much in this thread, so this is coming from a newbie, but . . . does anyone ever get around to actually naming the last film they watched? If not, then let's see if I can revitalize the tradition:

Watched Highlander the other night for the first time in ages. Pure cheeze-whiz in a can, but it was gobs of fun nonetheless. As terrible an actor as Christopher Lambert is (and he is abysmally bad), he always manages to nail that trademark mischievous laugh of his in every movie he's ever done. Gotta respect that.

- Uni

They get around to it, between the bimbo ogling and Lucas bashing. ;)

Watched Shrek Forever After tonight with family (second time). Possibly the best since the first, though for some that wouldn't be saying much.

Worth a buck at Redbox at least. There's some good laughs to be had, along with a decent story. The soundtrack has some good bits also.

Couldn't help but feel a nice sense of closure for a series I had grown up with.

Hard to believe the original is 10 years old this May.

Days Of Heaven (Criterion Blu)

Damn you Terrance Malick and your genius. The sound could be better, but considering in how poor condition the film was in, Criterion did an amazing job with the overall restoration. They definitely need to release Badlands.

Dances With Wolves on Blu-Ray. I forgot how good this movie was.

Whoops. . . ! Missed this one. You got it in before my comment on how no one's naming movies around here. My bad! :rolleyes:

I've never forgotten how great that movie is. One of my all-time favorites.

- Uni

How does the end of BTTF III destroy the friendship? I thought it was rather poignant, and about as good a finish for the trilogy as you could hope for.

Alex, do you not like BTTF?

I rank them I, III, II. It didn't hit me until one time I watched Part II very soon after I had watched Part I, and I was suddenly hit with the realization that the film was so much more cartoony and manic--especially at the start. I think it settles a bit more sometime after we get to the 2015 McFly home, and it keeps getting better as the film goes along. Stuff like the graveyard scene were good, and I enjoyed the fleshing out of the night of the dance--and just the general world of Hill Valley in 1955.

I definitely prefer the more deliberate pacing of the first film, though, and I felt like the characters were a little wackier this time around, which I didn't care for. As has been said, though, it's still highly enjoyable--definitely my least favorite of the three, though.

I watched The Mist after reading the novella by Stephen King. The movie wasn't bad until the ending. They should have kept the same ending from the book. I don't know what the movie was trying to go for but it just seemed like a cliche ending, like the ending of a Twilight Zone episode or something.

A problem I have with it is The Hoverboard Chase, in BTTF Pt.1 he had an impact, not only did he cause Biff to crash, he practically invented skateboarding and impressed his mother and everyone at the diner/cafe, however in 2015, skateboarding had already been invented so he didnt really impress anyone

For starters, Doc leaves Marty seemingly forever, telling him to make his future good.

He has a Train Time Machine... who said its forever?