What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

A Single Man: It was nice, I guess. I'm glad that I didn't buy the DVD or the Blu-ray though. Did anyone notice how the tone of the colors sometimes change as if the sun is breaking through the clouds?

visit.a_single_man.jpg

Alex

A Single Man: It was nice, I guess. I'm glad that I didn't buy the DVD or the Blu-ray though. Did anyone notice how the tone of the colors sometimes change as if the sun is breaking through the clouds?

visit.a_single_man.jpg

Alex

I've wanted to see this for some time, but have never had either the time nor the resources. I'll watch out for the colour-changes. Do you think that the changes in colour are due to the main character feeling "brighter" in mood?

Yes, I think it stands for the passion or the love the main character is feeling, something he can't openly express, but I'm not sure.

Easy A - actually realy enjoyed this one, although it is a bit implausible how someone as adorable as Emma Stone could be one of the 'unnoticeables'. Stanley Tucci is a joy to watch as usual

It tried too hard to be a modern John Hughes movie, in my opinion. I liked it overall, but you brought up a major problem with the film. Emma Stone would have no problem losing her virginity.

In hindsight, a lot of John Hughes movies really grate. I think 'Weird Science' is the only one I can watch without throwing things at the screen.

I disagree. I can never get enough of Ferris Bueller or Plains, Trains And Automobiles or The Breakfast Club.

Caught the end of The Empire Strikes Back on Spike last night

Dear god, the inserted shots of Vader taking the shuttle to his Star Destroyer are awful, awful, awful, awful. Who in their right mind would think those were a good idea, or are necessary in any way? Completely ruins the pacing of the climax of the film

:pukeface:

Caught the end of The Empire Strikes Back on Spike last night

Dear god, the inserted shots of Vader taking the shuttle to his Star Destroyer are awful, awful, awful, awful. Who in their right mind would think those were a good idea, or are necessary in any way? Completely ruins the pacing of the climax of the film

:pukeface:

It is egregious, isn't it? It brings everything to a grinding halt. Did anyone, anywhere, pre-1997 have difficulty understanding how Vader got from Cloud City to his Star Destroyer, after he said, "Bring my shuttle." ?? Plus, he seems to land in what looks like the Death Star. I just don't get this one.

It shows Lucas really does not take his fans...HIS FANS seriously.

The Star Wars fans have seen these movies countless times, they know then from their heart. So the moment that inserted shot from ROTJ comes in, it is really jarring.

Blade Runner The Final Cut.

AND....?

In hindsight, a lot of John Hughes movies really grate. I think 'Weird Science' is the only one I can watch without throwing things at the screen.

"Why are you such an asshole?"

"Because I get off on it!"

I disagree. I can never get enough of Ferris Bueller or Plains, Trains And Automobiles or The Breakfast Club.

Without even the merest hint of a forecast of a single shadow of a doubt, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is, by far, John Hughes' greatest achievement.

All togethern now:

#When Cameron was in Egypt's land.....

Let my Cameron go#

The Star Wars fans have seen these movies countless times, they know then from their heart. So the moment that inserted shot from ROTJ comes in, it is really jarring.

Not only did he hack up the perfect music, but he binned off one of Vader's most understated badass lines.

It's lunacy!

These types of changes are what really irk me about director's cuts, extended editions, special editions, anniversary editions, etc. It seems they're always half-assing additions or changes by recycling footage, dialogue, music, etc. It doesn't feel like anything that was ever meant to exist in the movie regardless of what the director claims and it also seems totally unprofessional. It's superfluous junk.

And Blade Runner is good. I've only seen two versions now--theatrical and Final. Do I need any of the others?

These types of changes are what really irk me about director's cuts, extended editions, special editions, anniversary editions, etc. It seems they're always half-assing additions or changes by recycling footage, dialogue, music, etc. It doesn't feel like anything that was ever meant to exist in the movie regardless of what the director claims and it also seems totally unprofessional. It's superfluous junk.

And Blade Runner is good. I've only seen two versions now--theatrical and Final. Do I need any of the others?

By "theatrical", I assume that you mean the USA version?

That's basically the two versions of BR, the Final Cut is the director's cut; the "Director's Cut" is a less developed version of the Final Cut.

What Chaac said. There's not much difference beween the USA, and the International versions; at least, not plot-wise. Best not to watch the workprint.

I have the Workprint, but haven't watched it. What's wrong with it, other than picture quality?

The Workprint is exactly that: it is essentially a rough cut, a work in progress. It is the shortest version atound, coming in at approximately 105 mins. A lot of the music (espcially in the last 20 mins.) had not been written, and is temp-tracked with "POTA". The titles are completely different (but as a long-time fan, it was good to finaly see the "split" titles, complete with knife sounds). As I recall, some of the matte paintings are different.

In overall feel, and content, it is not too much removed from what was released on 25/6/1982.

If you imagine a home that is having internal construction work done on it, then that might give you an impression of the Workprint: it is recognisible, but it is still a shell that needs a fair bit of effort to make it habitable. It is an unpolished diamond, and as such, is a very interesting curiosity, but no more.

The Final Cut, both in sound and vision, is the best version of "Blade Runner" that there is. I can't imagine a better one.

'The Iron Giant'

One of the best non-Disney/Pixar animated movies ever made, and the only movie that comes close to E.T. in terms of losing my shit. The writing and staging is incredible, and the simplistic but atmospheric animation makes it work so well.

The Final Cut, both in sound and vision, is the best version of "Blade Runner" that there is. I can't imagine a better one.

Sadly, the other versions (TC and the DC) have not been given the same luxurious high tech treatment.

Alex - who has never seen the workprint of Blade Runner

Sadly, the other versions (TC and the DC) have not been given the same luxurious high tech treatment.

Alex - who has never seen the workprint of Blade Runner

You don't have the boxset?

Please, Charlie, I have it in every available and non-available format. It's just I don't wanna watch unfinished movies with bad image quality. To me, the Blade Runner Workprint is comparable with the rough versions of classic songs they put at the end of a CD these days. You may know them as bonus tracks. That's what The Workprint means to me ... a bonus cut.

Please, Charlie, I have it in every available and non-available format. It's just I don't wanna watch unfinished movies with bad image quality. To me, the Blade Runner Workprint is comparable with the rough versions of classic songs they put at the end of a CD these days. You may know them as bonus tracks. That's what The Workprint means to me ... a bonus cut.

Well obviously. But I'd have thought you'd be interested in seeing the movie in a flux almost. The alternate shots, dialogue, the music changes (wish they'd have kept the Ink Spots cut in), the alternate narration. I guess it was kind of a holy grail to me, and an audio-visual companion to Paul Sammon's book.

Well obviously. But I'd have thought you'd be interested in seeing the movie in a flux almost. The alternate shots, dialogue, the music changes (wish they'd have kept the Ink Spots cut in), the alternate narration. I guess it was kind of a holy grail to me, and an audio-visual companion to Paul Sammon's book.

If the Workprint offered a radical departure from the finished product, then I'd recommend that E.T. watch it, but it doesn't; it's just...incomplete.

I find the 40mins of deleted scenes for more intresting, and, yes, I spit on metaphysics.

I spit on metaphysics.

Heheh, he does say that rather cool, doesn't he?

I wish that Scott/Rawlings could have found a place for that line, as it would have given the film some humour. Then again, I can't think of where it could have gone. It's funny that one of the best lines in the film...is not in the film.

What do you mean when you said "unavailable format"? If this takes us into the domain of the "B" word, then I'd appreciate a personal message, as I have no desire to violate the site rules.

Am I going too far if I mention the Polish CD? It's has a clean sound, and even has stuff that is not on any "official" release. Do you have the Esper version?

'The Terminator'

Still by far the best of the series. Love how intense and raw it is, filled with atmosphere, and absolutely no fat. Brilliant science fiction. Arnie's performance is so, so good. It's just a shame the DVD surround mix is fucking awful. Not a fan of re-recorded sounds at the best of times, but it just all sounds so artificial. Hope the next Blu-Ray has the original mono mix (ala 'Jaws').

'The Terminator'

Still by far the best of the series. Love how intense and raw it is, filled with atmosphere, and absolutely no fat. Brilliant science fiction. Arnie's performance is so, so good. It's just a shame the DVD surround mix is fucking awful. Not a fan of re-recorded sounds at the best of times, but it just all sounds so artificial. Hope the next Blu-Ray has the original mono mix (ala 'Jaws').

I agree with everything you have said there, Charlie, it's a "low down and dirty" film, made and played with utter conviction and not a litle style. Although I like the 5.1 re-mix (especially in bone-crunching DTS), the mono mix somehow adds to the grittiness of the subject matter, and I also hope that it is included in future releases.

Are you certain that the "Jaws" Blu Ray will have the mono mix? I hope so; I miss the phasing effect as the "Orca"'s engine blows up. :(

'The Terminator'

I agree with everything you have said there, Charlie, it's a "low down and dirty" film, made and played with utter conviction and not a litle style. Although I like the 5.1 re-mix (especially in bone-crunching DTS), the mono mix somehow adds to the grittiness of the subject matter, and I also hope that it is included in future releases.

Are you certain that the "Jaws" Blu Ray will have the mono mix? I hope so; I miss the phasing effect as the "Orca"'s engine blows up. :(

Not sure about the blu-ray, but the Jaws DVD (the two-disc) I have has the mono mix.

'Chinatown'

Holy fucking shit, why have I only just watched this? Incredible. And man, the Goldsmith score...

The Adjustment Bureau

Pretty fun and entertaining, but there was just something about it that put me off. It's hard to talk about without giving stuff away. Thomas Newman's score was great too.

Edge Of Darkness

Finally got around to watching it on Blu. I wish Mel Gibson did more movies these days.

'Chinatown'

Holy fucking shit, why have I only just watched this? Incredible. And man, the Goldsmith score...

This film might just as well have the best script ever written.

Karol

'Chinatown'

This film might just as well have the best script ever written.

Karol

Agree with both of yous. Charlie, I envy you, as you clearly have a great relationship with the film ahead of you. I first saw this in 1979, so it's been on my radar for well over 30 years. It'ts good to see that a classic like this finds new people falling in love with it all the time. It is a truly remarkable film, and unique film.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Very enjoyable comedy. The atmosphere is light, with nice cinematography by Michael Ballhaus, and a wonderful score by Miles Goodman. It's amazing how likeable Caine and Martin make their characters--Caine gets some help from the script, by Martin's character is such a heel, that it's surprising he comes across so well. Glenne Headly also does very nicely as the female lead.

Now that I've seen the film, though, a couple of disappointing omissions in the CD seem to stick out now. The liner notes seem to brush off two fairly significant alternate film versions not on the CD, calling one "tracked in" (even though it sounds consistent with the rest of the recording and features a brief interjection by the signature jazz solo violin) and the other "generic Dixieland jazz music," when it is in fact a rather entertaining variation on the main theme. Curious, and a bit sad, as the latter would've been particularly nice to have on disc.

Hulk (Ang lee)

I still enjoy this more than the norton version, and find it vastly underrated.

Ditto. Norton's is pedestrian and designed specifically to appease people who complained about the first film, which unsurprisingly was rejected for being creative, different, and emotionally and thematically powerful and mythic. It's the same reason why I can't wait for Branagh's 'Thor', but am not that interested in 'Captain America' or 'The Avengers'.

It's the same reason why I can't wait for Branagh's 'Thor'

Haven't you seen the trailer?! It's the Flash Gordon of the nillies!

I'm surprised you're not all over it, Idris Elba is in it.

Hard to believe the same guy who directed 'Flash Gordon' directed 'Get Carter'. But I love it regardless.

Haven't you seen the trailer?! It's the Flash Gordon of the nillies!

That good?

I'm surprised you're not all over it, Idris Elba is in it.

Hard to believe the same guy who directed 'Flash Gordon' directed 'Get Carter'. But I love it regardless.

It's hard to believe the guy who directed Henry V and Hamlet is directing Thor! ;)

He likes these kind of stories, except this one has fantasy and superheros thrown in.

I want to see The Avengers too, because the writer of that one has knack for fun ensemble casts.