What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

Re-watching the entire Harry Potter series...while reading the books.

Just finished tonight: POA and GOF.

I still, firmly, believe that POA was the best out of the series. In term of grittiness, and non-Columbus, I find this one to be the most interesting story-wise. The whole last 40 minutes are just amazing!!

GOF, I never really thought was that great. But watching it tonight, after so many years, it does kinda grow. The first half is pretty dreadful, but when it gets into the linear storytelling it really does pick it up a notch. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was hoping it wouldn't.

Sometime soon I'll re-watch OOP, and the last two (again, for the third time).

BTW: The first 5 of these I am watching on the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player. Of which I have not been able to watch anything for over a year because I needed to replace the wires, and believe it or not they are not that easy to come by. Two weeks ago, I finally was able to purchase both the AC adapter, and the USB wire (both, special order) for $50, and am finally able to watch my pretty significant HD-DVD collection that has just been gathering dust b/c I refuse to replace them w/ BD.

That oughta boil Koray's skin.

It's still high def 1080p I don't see or hear any difference in picture, or audio quality.

And they're cheaper.

The Dark Knight on Blue-ray.

Holy cow! It makes quite an impression.

On a side note, I can now see why this film doesn't work for some people.

Karol

I prefer the Burton films. They're more fun and wildly imaginative, plus they were part of my childhood. Michael Keaton's quirky everyman kind of portrayal of Bruce Wayne/Batman...awesome. He pulls off the tortured emotional side of the character quite well, when it's called for. But he still has time for other stuff like women, the cool car and Danny Elfman symphonic score between saving the day. You'd still want to be Batman in this version, and I did.

I used to love Burton films. I still have some fondness for the second one, but Nolan films are closer to what I know as Batman. Most comic books I read were very grounded, just like the new movies.

A surprisingly stylish film for Kar Wai Wong. A polished look and a very European-sounding score make it feel completely completely unlike movies of his I know. But I really liked it.

Karol

Just got back from seeing X-Men First Class. Over all a not too bad of a film. All though some parts could have been left out and they definitely could have chosen a different line for a certain cameo.

"Not interested" or something similar. To have an f-bomb drop out of the middle of no where just isn't very suitable for an X-Men movie. I mean it fits his character but still...

I own both Order of the Phoenix on HD-DVD (Came in the HP Gift Trunk that I got for Christmas one year), and on BD (bought by mistake) and have watched both, several times but never compared the two. Last night I watched 30mins from both. Same scenes. Same 65" plasma HDTV, with the same settings, same Pioneer THX 7.1 receiver at the same volume in 5.1 dolby digital.

I am not an audiophile, nor a videophile. Just an average film and music loving and appreciating movie goer.

The only difference I saw was the black levels were much greater on the BD disc. Everything else, was exactly the same.

Pirates of the Caribbean 4

Am I the only one who thinks this was a pretty good movie and the best one in the series?

I'm not a fan at all of the other ones, but I thought this was a pretty decent adventure movie with a good story. All the actors were good, the dialogue was funny and action set pieces were well done. Also, it got sufficiently scary and dark when it needed to

Definitely not the CGI crap fest I was expecting or something that panders to parents of young children like Narnia 3

Sounds like you're describing the first one...

I haven't seen 4, though. And based on the fact that it's been more poorly received than the atrocious second and third films, I kind of doubt I ever will see it. Unless it shows up Netflix Instant Watch in a year from now, I guess.

I think most reviewers had their reviews written BEFORE they saw the film and then it was kind of a mass effect to bash it

Like I said,I was pleasantly surprised. Expected to be bored to death. I enjoyed it more than Thor

Well, I'll say this much - I welcome every harsh review, since each makes it incrementally easier for me to enjoy the film if I ever see it. My stupid brain tends to be underwhelmed by films that I know have become really popular.

Sorry, KM, I can't agree. I can't think of a single reason to recommend the movie to anyone. I found it to be a waste of time and money. The worse movie I've seen this year thus far

It didn't feel so much prefabricated like the usual blockbuster sequel. Maybe because it was the 4th one the people working on it and the actors were given more artistic freedom.

Well, I liked it. Maybe it depends what mood your in

Well, the Pirates films have never quite felt prefabricated...even in their worst moments, the first two sequels managed to kind of do their own thing. All their flaws were rather unique and idiosyncratic. It wasn't so much an issue of them making the same mistakes that every crappy blockbuster does.

Yeah, I supose so. But if there was a thing I found lacking was artistic freedom. The other movies suffered from perhaps too much ambition, but at least they were filled with colorful characters and interesting concepts. This movie jumps from one scene to the other with no underlying motivation, Nothing is explained. And the locations are so not captivating. Not once did I feel it was actually set in the Caribbean, not mention the lackluster villain.

I liked the villain Black Beard. He was menacing enough. And I loved Geoffry Rush in this one. And also Johnny Depp made me laugh despite myself a few times. And come on ,the mermaid sequence was pretty cool.

To me the worst possible example of this type of film would be Narnia 3. That was the most idiotic and boring PoS I saw in the past few years.

Johnny Depp made me laugh despite myself a few times.

That's the best way I could describe his DMC and AWE performances, as well. =/ Yeah, definitely gonna pass on this film.

I thought Pirates 4 was totally boring.

X-Men. First Class is an intense and vibrating film, and like all other X-Men films somewhat disrepectful to the comics in its choice of characters, but I don't care about that anymore.

Shaun Of The Dead: Funny at times but overall typically English and very meh. The funniest bit was the news reader. Film got very dull during the long pub scene. I came close to bying the DVD several times but now I'm glad that I never did.

shaun_of_the_dead_xlg.jpg

I find it hard to accept any single X-Men storyline as the "one, true canon" due to all the rewrites and alternate histories the characters go through. Changing character relationships, motivations, and positions in the timeline to make movies just present another progression in the long history of mixing it up.

The problem is the new film is inconsistent with the other ones. By making all these "prequel adjustments". Gotta love rewrites.

Karol - who didn't watch anything in the last few days and is just making another pointless contribution to the board ;)

Shaun Of The Dead: Funny at times but overall typically English and very meh. The funniest bit was the news reader. Film got very dull during the long pub scene. I came close to bying the DVD several times but now I'm glad that I never did.

I agree with everything you just said. I find it exhausting when people treat this movie like the second coming of Jesus. It's not bad; It's just not that great.

The problem is the new film is inconsistent with the other ones. By making all these "prequel adjustments". Gotta love rewrites.

Karol - who didn't watch anything in the last few days and is just making another pointless contribution to the board ;)

My main goal was to make as good a film that could stand on its own two feet regardless of all the other films. However I thought anything that worked in all the other movies, and I could have some fun with nodding towards, I would. But my main rule was, ‘You know what, we’re trying to reboot and start a whole new X-Men franchise’ and therefore, making a film work on its own two feet was far more important than trying to be referential to the prior movies.

link

Saw Hannah. Good movie, though I didn't care for the ending. Very good score by The Chemical Brothers. Like the film itself, this is a score that actually felt like it had a real point of view, and one that I cared for. I was very much impressed by Joe Wright's genuinely eccentric touch.

My main goal was to make as good a film that could stand on its own two feet regardless of all the other films. However I thought anything that worked in all the other movies, and I could have some fun with nodding towards, I would. But my main rule was, ‘You know what, we’re trying to reboot and start a whole new X-Men franchise’ and therefore, making a film work on its own two feet was far more important than trying to be referential to the prior movies.

link

You see, that's the problem with this film and that's why it has problem making money. Nobody has an idea what it is. It uses footage and actors from the first film, but it isn't concerned about continuity and is supposedly a standalone film... Star Trek was a bit more clever with that, because you got a sequel, prequel and a complete reboot, all at the same time.

Karol