What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

True Grit: I was in the video store to bring back the terrible Tron Legacy and decided to rent True Grit in spite of the trailer warning me not to. At best, it was merely okay but way too unremarkable to make any kind of impression. This is worrysome because it's now the third film of the Coens that didn't satisfy me. The thing that bothered me the most is that it's overly chatty and that it feels like a sequel to Disney's The Journey Of Natty Gann. Also, I don't understand the motivation behind the film. Why do the effort when you know that it's the gray ones that fade to black? **/****

Alex

Why do the effort when you know that it's the gray ones that fade to black?

Huh?

I don't feel that strongly about True Grit, aside from really, really liking it. That it's better than most of the other touted films from last year isn't saying much.

After thinking about Totoro I've come to like the film more that I did initially. So tomorrow I'll continue my animated film series. I've got Grave of the Fireflies, Ratatouille, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and, as the bonus of the week, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

The Andromeda Strain

I finished the book earlier today and just finished watching the movie. I can say that the movie was exactly like the book, probably one of the few times when the book isn't necessarily better than the movie.

Ratatouille. Pretty badass directing here. I think it's funny and clever. It's got a better ending than The Incredibles. I have to see The Iron Giant and Mission: Impossible 4.

Why do the effort when you know that it's the gray ones that fade to black?

Huh?

Intolerable Cruelty is another example.

The Andromeda Strain

I finished the book earlier today and just finished watching the movie. I can say that the movie was exactly like the book, probably one of the few times when the book isn't necessarily better than the movie.

The old movie or Ridley Scott's version?

I don't feel that strongly about True Grit, aside from really, really liking it. That it's better than most of the other touted films from last year isn't saying much.

I saw this in february and found it one of the best 'nothing particularly interesting is happening but i had a great time watching it' movies. A rare feat for a movie which has a smartass kid at its center and a story which really offers nothing to think about. It has all a relaxed vibe to it, Bridges and Damon are fun together, the Burwell is charming. The only thing that didn't work is the decades-spanning finale, which felt like they wanted to tack on some lame OscarTM-weight to the proceedings.

Bride of Frankenstein.

It is such a great film, full of over the top acting, some perverse acting, brilliant acting.

The score is horrific and comical.

The sets and staging is utterly brilliant.

The makeup is grotesque and realistic.

The only real flaw, if it can even be called on is the filmmakers missed an opportunity to bookend the story by going back to Mary Shelly at the very end.

And while we know the monster returns, I like to think the bride also survived and lives even now.

Wild Hogs (2007)

Predictable, average comedy in the City Slickers mould.

Watch it for no other reason then for Marissa Tomei, who looks incredibly hot without even having to try.

Naturally Peter Fonda has a cameo in the end of this film.

I remember feeling a rumble during Before the Devil Knows You're Dead when she revealed her stunning figure. She's no spring chicken, but she looks very hot, naked.

Lethal Weapon

Aahhh...the 1980's! Full of references to Vietnam, mobile phones the size of a shoe box and actual violence and bloodletting in an action film!

Still very good if you try not to think about the plot too much (why does Gary Busey go back to Danny Glovers house.)

The pairing of Gibson and Glover is what the film is all about. this film made Gibson a superstar, and turned Glover into a bankable actor. You can still see why.

Donner's direction keeps the bare-bones story moving along nicely and gives us a few good action scenes. The ADR in this film is pretty bad though.

Michael Kamen's score is great!

*** out of ****

I never thought Lucas was a brilliant director. He lacks the visual flair of Spielberg or DePalma, and lacks the cinematic insight of a Scorsese, but here he does just fine.

THX-1138 is an incredibly shot film. Very arty as well.

Anyway, is this scene from an old movie what has inspired the art directors of Star Wars?

Silent+Running-00007.jpg

THX-1138 is an incredibly shot film. Very arty as well.

While I'm not so sure it should be considered as a good film, it is incredibly interesting in terms of photography/editing/sound/scoring. But then it's more Walter Murch than Lucas, ain't it?

Dazed and Confused

This film is to the 70's what American Graffiti was to the 50's. Well, sort of. ;)

Karol

In a way it is just that. What distinguishes it from the rest is it's purely technical values (which I mentioned above). Lalo Schifrin rocks! :)

Karol

BTW Alex, what do you think about American Graffiti?

It's been ages ago since I saw that one. I remember it to be a film that established a wonderful and rich '50s atmosphere. It's like the whole movie is filmed from our point of perspective and not from the characters. It's as if I was one of the people who hung out that particular night in Modesto.

Alex

I feel the whole period was interesting because I believe it was a time when people were more open to film and music as a serious art form. Generally, I feel more people were less disgusted of music and film with a slightly experimental or 'arty' touch to it. Artists were granted to color outside the lines. It was as if they were in charge, not the studios.

Alex

That's all well and good, but were is the popcorn fun!

Lethal Weapon 2

Starts out with the old Looney Tunes theme and builds it's way into madness from there!

One of the few sequels that's actually better then part 1. Gibson and Glover return and once again play very well of each other. Joe Pesci is superb as the annoying, but lovable Leo getz ("Whatever you want....Leo Gets, you get it?")

This films villians are better 2, no more boring Vietnam killers, but evil South African diplomats. Josh Ackland is despicable as the lead baddie.

Lot's of action, lots of explosions, even a toilet is blown to bits. And it has topless scenes of Patsy Kensit when she was really hot!

BEST....MOVIE....EVER!

Lethal Weapon Pt 2 is clearly the best of the series. It has great action and the most hissable villain.

Government conspiracy. A mission to Mars that is faked. The astronauts are on the run after their rocket supposedly burns up. Evil sinister government agent kill them one by one. Elliot Gould is the intrepid reporter out to unmask the government.