What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

I seriously can't remember what the film was about. There were some robots in it (I can't tell the difference between them) and things exploding.

Karol

Well, it's saying it isn't as bad as say, the PT.

Ah the good old Prequel Trilogy: destined for all eternity to be the ultimate point of reference to which all other shit shall be judged against.

I was going to mention how people started considering The Phantom Menace a decent movie after Attack of the Clones, but that would have been to easy. And distracting. So forget I said that.

Why not review Sterrenoorlog: Deel V- Het Keizerrijk Slaat Terug?

You already did two pages ago. Can't be bothered now. Besides, I still haven't done my Citizen Kane review. :mellow:

Don't knock explosions. Between them and machine gun fire you're only a Bruce Willis away from a Die Hard movie.

It did cross my mind how much Live Free or Die Hard resembles this movie. Particularly the bit with the jet. It's all just wanton destruction for its own sake.

I just saw Transformers 3. With the money it's making it doesn't bode well for the future of summer blockbuster movies

i was completely lost in the last hour of the film. At some point I thought the projectionist skipped a reel by mistake

I just saw Michael Bay's Transformers for the first time.

Good God.

Now there's a tailormade redneck movie. What a fucking trainwreck.

Shiny trainwreck, though.

Boring trainwreck, I'd say. I was falling asleep in the last hour.

Saw The Hong Kong movie The Stool Pigeon, by someone names Dante Lam. Atrocious. Also saw Errol Morris' Tabloid. Terrific.

And it's a Spielberg production, right?

The last Legion: I couldn't watch it for longer than 5 minutes. I felt like Alex De Large.

alex-de-large3.jpg

Today I've been watching Neil Peart: A Work in Progress. It chronicles his evolution as a drummer and the making of the "Test for Echo" album. I'd recommend it to all Rush fans.

Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows part 1

In anticipation of part 2 which I'll see tonight.

Deliberately paced, very atmospheric with some stunning landscapes in the middle of the film. David Yates is no Cuaron, but he does have a good cinematic eye.

It's very much a book on screen though.

Part 2 is supposed to have all the action, which is a bit of a worry, because so far Yates' action scenes have not been that good.

Good half of a movie, he cliffhanger is poor though......

I'm three Potters behind at the moment. The one I've got next is a major obstacle in my finishing of the franchise.

That and I think Fiennes is a crap Voldemort.

Part 2 is supposed to have all the action, which is a bit of a worry, because so far Yates' action scenes have not been that good.

It's quite well done actually. Not as action-heavy as I thought it would be. The film moves at good pace and doesn't drag.

Karol

Halfblood Prince is a pretty good film. And no it's not very Twilight. ;)

Halfblood Prince is a good adaptation of a bad book. It doesn't rise above its source material.

I think the action scenes are excellently done in Part 2. At several moments, I was taken aback and thought "wow, that was well done."

The final battle, based on the previews, looks like Neo vs. Smith from Revolutions.

Is that a good thing? I thought the final battle was excellently put together, with the film cutting between the two opposing plot points in a very suspenseful and exciting way.

Yeah, it's a lot better than Neo vs. Smith... Really everything about Matrix Revolutions is far inferior to HPDHII

If only for Neodammerüng, Neo Vs Smith duel is far superior to Harry Vs Voldy duel.

The Hidden Fortress. I wanted to love it, and I did enjoy it, but it didn't click with me like I had thought it would.

WALL·E. I saw it for the third time. I wonder if Andrew Stanton will ever surpass this marvelous thing he did here.

A is for Axiom, your home sweet home. B is for Buy'N'Large, your very best friend.

The Hidden Fortress. I wanted to love it, and I did enjoy it, but it didn't click with me like I had thoyght it would.

But you love Star Wars, right? ;)

Yes but there are great things to say about The Hidden Fortress itself! The camerawork is masterful, the photography, the scenes of the army going through the forest, some humorous moments hre and there. On the other hand I think some situations were a bit heavy handed and I wasn't very convinced by the actress who plays the Princess.

Isle of Flowers by Jorge Furtado. Probably one the best short films I've ever seen.

The Hidden Fortress. I wanted to love it, and I did enjoy it, but it didn't click with me like I had thought it would.

WALL·E. I saw it for the third time. I wonder if Andrew Stanton will ever surpass this marvelous thing he did here.

A is for Axiom, your home sweet home. B is for Buy'N'Large, your very best friend.

I hope John Carter is good. But topping WallE or Nemo will be difficult.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Despite my partial first viewing, my first full viewing turned out pretty well. It would've been better to not know as much about it, but the actual experience of the lengthy Devil's Tower climax and finale is amazing, and totally worth it. There are also just some really good moments and classic set pieces, particularly Roy's encounter, the pointing fingers in India, and Barry's abduction. Really liked Dreyfuss's performance, particularly in the mashed potato scene. I'm curious to see the other versions--it sounds like some of added scenes I've heard about could be beneficial, particularly the alternate introduction to the Neary family, but I don't see how the extension of the finale is going to really do much productive. I suspect Spielberg is right when he said that the inside is better left to the viewer's imagination.

For a Few Dollars More

Absolutely loved this. As good as A Fistful of Dollars was, I think FAFDM blew it away. A superior and more satisfying film. You can see Leone's craftmanship maturing between the two films. An atmospheric standout is Eastwood's rainy intro shot, beginning with his wind motif. And speaking of that, Morricone's score is really wonderful. The development of the locket piece into grandiose proportions, in the confrontation with the traitor and in the climax, is very powerful, and the main theme is exciting in itself, and also in its reflection of the turns that Eastwood and Van Cleef's characters take.

When Van Cleef's Jew's harp and Eastwood's wind motif come together under the main theme at the end, it just makes me smile.

And what a great ending.

The extended mothership sequence is a fascinating addition, more for historic reasons than anything, but if the theatrical or collector's cut had a profound effect on the viewer then it should be avoided.

Yeah, it's a lot better than Neo vs. Smith... Really everything about Matrix Revolutions is far inferior to HPDHII

If only for Neodammerüng, Neo Vs Smith duel is far superior to Harry Vs Voldy duel.

That is true. Although, I do like Desplat's scoring of the battle quite a bit.

I was expecting more Harry Potter and DH part 2 reactions in this thread and the Potterdom tonight

I'm also wondering if Harry's Wondrous World is used over some kind of montage in the End Credits.I was thinking it would have been great if it played over scenes from all 7 movies.

For a Few Dollars More

Absolutely loved this. As good as A Fistful of Dollars was, I think FAFDM blew it away. A superior and more satisfying film. You can see Leone's craftmanship maturing between the two films. An atmospheric standout is Eastwood's rainy intro shot, beginning with his wind motif. And speaking of that, Morricone's score is really wonderful. The development of the locket piece into grandiose proportions, in the confrontation with the traitor and in the climax, is very powerful, and the main theme is exciting in itself, and also in its reflection of the turns that Eastwood and Van Cleef's characters take.

When Van Cleef's Jew's harp and Eastwood's wind motif come together under the main theme at the end, it just makes me smile.

And what a great ending.

I completely agree, but you can even see the evolution of Leone's talent through to the third film, where everything blends into one delicious pot.

I'm also wondering if Harry's Wondrous World is used over some kind of montage in the End Credits.I was thinking it would have been great if it played over scenes from all 7 movies.

There is no montage, nor Harry's Wondrous World.

we were mislead?

Who said HWW played over the credits? I thought that was established

Is Leaving Hogwarts over the final scene?

No, it starts with the whirring woodwinds around :35 and one of the best parts is edited out (the end bit that's used in the trailers for SS and CoS).

Revolutionary Road: Nothing feels real (stagy) but still a somewhat fascinating movie to watch thanks to the dark source material, the gorgeous sets, the tasteful cinematography of Deakins and the piano music of Newman. Acting wise, Leo is a bit out of his league.

revolutionary-road-2.jpg

Alex

I thought it was strange that Winslet won best actress at the Globes and the Oscars the same year for different movies. I guess she just had the momentum to win, no matter what. Both of those performances were great, though.

Imagine that I went to see The Reader without knowing what the film was about. And it turned out to be really creepy. I can't say I liked it, but they did a good job with this awkward love story (or sex story).

Karol

Revolutionary Road: Nothing feels real (stagy) but still a somewhat fascinating movie to watch thanks to the dark source material, the gorgeous sets, the tasteful cinematography of Deakins and the piano music of Newman. Acting wise, Leo is a bit out of his league.

revolutionary-road-2.jpg

Alex

Out of his league?