What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

In BB I consider the villainy of the entire city to be the central antagonist - it is after all the reason Wayne takes to vigilantism in the first place. He has his hands full cleaning the place up and restoring some semblance of order; in turn making way for the Joker to become the main threat in the sequel.

Yes, but the Joker is mainly a personification of the same thing. He doesn't have any motivation or integrity. He just does random stuff really. He can rob a bank for no reason for example. He is a villain, but more like the shark in Jaws.

Karol

Yes, what's cool about the Joker is that he makes no sense, except that he always wants to make others kill.

I think TDK is the best written of the two, it's much more fluid. The villain "force" seems is more unstoppable, Batman looses and it doesn't need to go the route of "unbelievable catastrophe in the whole city!!". The script is more economical in a sense, which is more difficult to do than it seems. I also like how the film turns into a unique, long setpiece at times, as opposed to the more typical BB.

The direction is also better. Dialogue scenes are less plain, more fluid, more emotional. The direction in action scenes is better, and I love how they aren't used as a climax, but as the way to get to the actual multiple climaxes through the film.

I also like the Cameron- styled look of the film.

I liked when Zemeckis was doing real movies. Not that he suceeded every single time, but at least they were pleasurable to watch.

Karol

It disappointed me a bit.

it didn't me, it was a faithful adaption, and really how could it answer such deep questions?

I like some of Zemeckis films but none of his motion capture films, they all fail to me.

Like What Lies Beneath best. One of Fords best performances ever, such a wonderful play against type.

Just caught the last 1.5 hours of Cast Away on TV. It'd been a while since I'd seen it. Still a powerful film. The gutsiest and most enjoyable part is, of course, the middle, during which the predominant sound is silence and the only character besides Chuck is Wilson. I don't know what it is about Tom Hanks, but he sure can captivate without...doing all that much, especially in a well-conceived film like this. His character handles this terrible situation in a way that manages to be both inspiring and grimly realistic. The comedic touches are expertly handled, too. (I admit that I was a little less heartbroken at Wilson's departure than I was in past viewings, though...)

As for the score, my opinion remains the same. The main theme strikes just the right tone, and the choice to use absolutely no music on the island was right on the money, but I wish Silvestri hadn't just repeated statements of the theme over and over again in the last part of the film. It starts to really annoy me. It distracts from the film. In fact, I daresay this film might have benefited from having no score whatsoever, with the exception of the end credits. At the very least, I wish the cues that Silvestri wrote weren't so monotonous and repetitive. Oh well.

Yeah it is indeed. The film itself isn't bad. It's just this third act... that goes nowhere...

I love the score too. Very effective.

Karol

There's so many quotable comments above; though not all of them for the right reasons. The downside to posting on a mobile phone (rare though it is) is I can never be bothered elaborating on such things further.

It disappointed me a bit.

it didn't me, it was a faithful adaption, and really how could it answer such deep questions?

Faitfhul adaption? Well, somewhat. There's a HUGE amount of stuff changed from the book, much more than in your average movie adaptation I'd say. The novel's strong critical points (particularly about religion) were mostly strongly softened or relativised. The message of the ending was also altered. To the movie's credit, it still works very well in letting the book's ideology shine through (at least if you want to see it). And it's a marvellous film, with Foster delivering one of my favourite female leading performances. Zemeckis used to be a brilliant director for using technology to support the film, often in a way that didn't make you aware effects were even used in the first place.

I just watched Far and Away and to be honest, I quite enjoyed it. The cinematography is gorgeous, the direction is actually very well done and the score is brilliant. Sure, the acting and the plot may not be the best, but I really liked the overall feel-good sentiment the movie had. For example, the ending is something that they couldn't get away with it in a modern movie, but in the 90's that was still "allowed" to do, so to speak...

I give it a solid 7.5/10

There's so many quotable comments above; though not all of them for the right reasons. The downside to posting on a mobile phone (rare though it is) is I can never be bothered elaborating on such things further.

The real question is, what is so important to post on such a forum, in such a thread, that can't wait until you have access to a proper computer?

Batman Begin sucks ass, its a shit film compared to the Dark Knight. ray ghoul is the worst villain and the scarecrow is a ripoff from a Disney Hero, don't know why they didn't sue. It also shows how weak Chris Nolan is as a director of action.

Robin Hood: Director's Cut

I feel like the original concept of this film would have been great, but it got chewed up and spit out by the studio. There's some pacing issues, the film never really takes off until around the mid point. Even then it feels like it wants to be more than it is. The battles blend together without much build up or resolution. The tone is also either here or there. Most of the time it's serious and dramatic, but there's an inherent lightheartedness in the Robin Hood character. They try to bring that through but it fails, the humor just ends up being awkward amongst the action.

Also, the fact that this is the story of how the legend began serves as a bullet in the foot. For example, the scene where the "lost boys" kidnap Robin and he breaks free and tells them how he can teach them all sorts of things. I wanted to see that happen, but of course that comes after he becomes the legend, and that hasn't happened yet. The cinematography is muddied without much contrast, but it fits well with certain elements of the film. Some scenes look good, particularly the opening shot.

Acting is pretty good overall. Russell Crowe does what he usually does, sometimes with Irish accent, sometimes without. Cate Blanchett is good as Maid Marion, and so is Max Von Sydow as her father-in-law. Mark Strong is kind of just there, and his character is poorly utilized, considering he's the main villain. But then again he isn't, which leads right back to the "before the legend" thing. Streitenfeld's score is very good albeit very repetitive. There are two standout themes that are lovely in their own right but get used to death over the 150 minute runtime.

All in all, a very watchable film but not one I'll be revisiting soon. Oh, the Ridleygram (as the menu calls it) end credits sequence is pretty awesome.

Robin Hood feels like an assembly line product from the giant Scott factories. KOH is better, which also suffered a bit from this phenomenon.

Alex

Not really but the good thing about Scott's movies is that they are always entertaining or watchable to some degree. But it's been a really long time since I said "Yes!" after watching a new movie from Scott. I hope Prometheus will change that but changes are slim.

Alex

The real question is, what is so important to post on such a forum, in such a thread, that can't wait until you have access to a proper computer?

Absolutely nothing whatsoever. But I don't do sitting at computers.

Batman Begin sucks ass, its a shit film compared to the Dark Knight. ray ghoul is the worst villain and the scarecrow is a ripoff from a Disney Hero, don't know why they didn't sue. It also shows how weak Chris Nolan is as a director of action.

I had no idea you felt so very strongly about it. Never had you down as a massive Batman enthusiast.

I enjoyed Robin Hood. Wouldn't use "loved" word, but I found it to be rather watchable as compared to some others films of this sort. No desire to see it again though.

Karol

It was an entertaining romp, like Costner's version. Completely harmless, though for some reason the target of much hate on the internet. But that's just the way it is in these geeky times we live in.

Even the guy who played King John was just as much fun as Rickman. The former's King John was easily just as camp and dastardly as the latter's Sheriff of Nottingham. The only thing the new version 'lacked' was a rock power ballet.

I just watched Far and Away and to be honest, I quite enjoyed it. The cinematography is gorgeous, the direction is actually very well done and the score is brilliant. Sure, the acting and the plot may not be the best, but I really liked the overall feel-good sentiment the movie had. For example, the ending is something that they couldn't get away with it in a modern movie, but in the 90's that was still "allowed" to do, so to speak...

I give it a solid 7.5/10

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment, plus the land race sequence is a sight to behold

Well, I'm sure there are some who find Hannibal a truly bad movie. What about G.I. Jane? I still haven't seen Body Of Lies or that 'Provence' movie.

But at least we now have proof that BB is better than TDK. ;)

wrong, it's not particularly well acted, it's poorly written, the direction is mediocre at best, but those are qualities in the movies you tend to like.

Quint, I have really disliked Batman since they changed him into a ninja and moved away from the dark detective. I'm not a big fan of Nolan either. His movies are glossy and slick. They tend to be pretentious and over thought. Dark Knight was the first that I really liked. I thought Momento would never end. The Prestige was just aggravating, Inception so less than it appeared. I never saw Insomnia.

Liam Neeson. An Irish actor doing an German accent in English!

Tom Cruise. An American actor doing an Irish accen....eehhh nevermind.

We've been through this before :)

The most portuguese feature in Depardieu is the big nose

I prefer to watch this than Transformers. That's all I'm saying. Nolan never said of himself as great filmmaker. He's very humble actually.

Karol

I thought it was awful for all kinds of reasons.

Perhaps you were on a break when I endlessly panned it after seeing it?

This thread was pretty good during the period of that movie's release.

I read your posts very carefully back then. We actualy debated this often, don't you remember? But I didn't think you dislike it THIS much.

Karol

Oh I don't hate it or anything. Not like I hate Kill Bill 2 or anything like that.

I just think Inception is pretentious, convoluted rubbish. Leo is badly miscast in it as well.