What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

going to see Cowboys and Aliens at 4:30. My sister was kind when she said it didn't suck. LOL

I'm definitely NOT having this conversation here. Not openly anyway.

Nothing could be farther from the truth than the assumption people in Nazi Germany were suffering from anything but a useless war.

But nice going, ridiculing an attempt to portray some proper history instead of the caricature that we grew up with.

No, they are far to tolerant.

Nothing could be farther from the truth than the assumption people in Nazi Germany were suffering from anything but a useless war.

Those who accepted Nazi Rule did not suffer, many prospered. And yes most people in Germany had a great decade.

Captain America: The First Avenger

I can't see this film doing a big business outside of the USA. It's kinda boring actually. Not for a second was I really with it. Cap is a really uninteresting character. There's nothing wrong with it, I guess, but it's just if you see one of these Marvel films, you've seen all of them. I forgot about it an hour after I've seen it. Thor was more entertaining. Hugo Weaving is underused. The score is good though.

Karol

I saw it last night. Not often these days am I hooked on a movie because I'm eager to hear what the composer does next. People may think that's distracting but it's part of why I love going to the movies.

if you see one of these Marvel films, you've seen all of them.

That's what happens when the people of Marvel act like an oppressing governement over these films. They don't want to risk another Ang Lee bringing his own vision to the production.

Long live DC Comics!

Well, Watchmen is DC Comics, right?

Alex

Yeah. Marvel just seems like a factory to me, churning out 2 or 2 films a year from a well-oiled production line.

The problem is that since most Superhero movies deal with basically the same subject matter, you should at least try to make them a bit different.

Yeah good movie, but nothing particularly special. I love the Irish folk song adapted for the score, such a gorgeous melody.

I'd take that early Coens style over their recent output, which frankly turns me right off them.

Surely not?

Do you find trees blowing in the wind frightening? Do you tense up at the sight of blades of grass shimmering in the breeze?

M. Night thinks you do.

Every idea in this movie (even Marky Mark) was a terribly bad idea. No wait, the talking to the plastic plant was okay.

The pre-credits coda is freakin' hilarious if you ask me. The whole movie is comedy gold, but that bit just takes it to the next level.

Even though The Happening is a terrible film in every thinkable way, it's also completely trivial and harmless. So much so that I can't even put in my top 10 worst movies of all time. It's almost non-existing. I found Signs to be endlessly more grating.

The Happening felt to me like a very early draft of a good film while I was seeing it. I was like, "oh, this could be good if..." all the time.

And yet M. Night Shadyak continues to make movies....

I want a zombie film or one about robots by him.

Why not a Jennifer Aniston comedy?

That's what strikes me as odd about some well-known directors. They are unwilling to leave their comfort zone.

Nolan and Fincher always do atmospheric, talky dark and brooding films. Michael Bay always does big action spectacle, Tarantino does basically big budget version of B-movie genres, the same can de said for his friend Rodriquez. Burton only does for Gothic and quirky.

Spielberg has done lots of different genres and can handle lots of different styles. Scorcese though known mostly for gangster films to many has done a lot of different things from period drama to comedy. Copolla has gone from musical, to the maffia to Nam to Dracula to a silly Robin Williams film, Richard Donner and Zemeckis have done a lot of different stuff too, as have the Coen brothers.

I have no idea what Nolan's project after the new Batman is, but I kind know what to expect. Bay will just blow more stuff up.

It didn't do it for me either.

And yet M. Night Shadyak continues to make movies....

Yes, strange, because he had like 4 bad movies in a row. It's like with sports people, why compete if you know you are not going to win? Why bother? Stay home and do something else. Go work in a supermarket and stop waisting our time.

Alex

True, the Shyamalan name appeals to the crowd (see worldwide grosses):

The Last Airbender: $319,713,881

The Village: $256,697,520

The Happening: $163,403,799

Lady In Water: $72,785,169

I think The Village and Lady in the Water are good. I have't seen The Last Airbender.

I would rank Shyamalan's films like this:

1. Unbreakable

2. The Village

3. Signs

4. Lady in the Water

5. The Happening

I haven't seen The Sixth Sense or his first films.

THE LAST AIRBENDER was Shymalayans' worst movie to date, it's really amateurish.

While people like to trash THE HAPPENING or LADY IN THE WATER i never found them as abysmal as a lot of more self-satisfied summer blockbusters like MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 2 & 3, TRANSFORMERS or stuff like that. I can watch those films and i realize what's wrong with them, but they still are cinematic and the scores work great.

Master & Commander: The Far Side Of The World

One of the coolest films of the past decade, which entertains me to no end (but then again the majority chose Pirates of the Caribbean that year). Everything is absolutely top notch about it. I even like the score.

Karol

I wish they could do this sequel they were talking about some time ago. Apparently Peter Weir is interested. But then the gross was less than spectacular.

Anyway, I know a lot of people (who opinions I respect) that can't stand this film. Don't know why. It's a brilliantly paced film, with great effects, action. And it's also one of the best period pieces I know.

Karol