What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

For the second weekend in a row, Interview with the Vampire. I love this movie. Lestat is the role Tom Cruise was born to play.

Goldenthal's score is simply one of the BEST to come out of the 90s.

I agree completely. My brother thought his performance was awful, but I think it transcends good and bad acting to create this strange, eerie performance that is extremely effective in the film.

I wonder if you'll say that a year from now, long after the initial impression has worn off.

I think I will. There aren't a whole lot of good Superhero movies out there.

Correct, but there are a handful of very good ones. Saying Watchmen is the very best of the lot is a bold statement (or a foolish one).

For some unexplainable reason I'm still yet to have seen it all from start to finish. I need to sort that out.

Saying Watchmen is the very best of the lot is a bold statement (or a foolish one).

Why?

For some unexplainable reason I'm still yet to have seen it all from start to finish. I need to sort that out.

Watch it first, then form an opinion....

I've not shared an opinion of it yet.

Saying Watchmen is the very best of the lot is a bold statement (or a foolish one).

Why?

Because it's very easy to fall into the 'novelty of brilliance' trap upon an initial viewing. Experience has taught me to give a good film time to breath and gestate in my mind before going on to rank it alongside the time-proven greats.

Green Lantern didn't suck as bad as the critics reviews, it was a solid C movie.

Ryan Reynolds is very likeable. He was so generally unlikable in his older films. I am glad his current film persona is one of likability. Thanks Sandra.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One.

I actually just got around to seeing this. Hey, it's pretty good. And finally, a Potter movie that takes time to breath. But that said, it's surprisingly incoherent. I think Steve Kloves has given up even trying to make these movies work for non-readers. Probably the worst moment was the arrival of the Order of the Phoenix at Harry's house. Was it really necessary to shove all that in? Lupin and Tonks expecting? They didn't do that great scene from the book where Lupin shows up at Grimmauld Place after running away from his wife anyway, so there's no payoff. Just one example of many. Another running problem I noticed was how characters would speak in one liners. Somebody would bring up an important point or make a joke, and the other person - usually Harry - would just completely fail to respond. Bad editing? I dunno. The action scenes were terrible, but fortunately few and far between. I liked the wandering in the woods stuff. Great acting from the trio. I'm glad they gave Dobby his due. The Tale of the Three Brothers, so cool!

Desplat's score was quite good. I guess there were a lot of moments where it lacked a certain sparkle. Then again, David Yates apparently tracked out some of the biggest musical moments. "The Locket" was great, though! The only thing I really didn't like was when the trio are brought to Malfoy Manor. Jesus Christ, what the fuck was Desplat thinking? Ah well, maybe it's another tracking thing.

Oh... the Dursleys really should have been given more. I saw that deleted scene with Petunia on YouTube, it was good.

Henry Jackman's score was very disappointing (me being a huge fan of his Kick-Ass stuff. It looks like he's sold out to the RC sound as well. Oh well.

Um, Henry Jackman is RCP.

Except he'd never sounded like it, till now.

Probably the worst moment was the arrival of the Order of the Phoenix at Harry's house. Was it really necessary to shove all that in? Lupin and Tonks expecting? They didn't do that great scene from the book where Lupin shows up at Grimmauld Place after running away from his wife anyway, so there's no payoff. Just one example of many.

I think that's supposed to be a set up for the tragic events to come later. I mean, a bunch of those people are gonna die later, no?

Another running problem I noticed was how characters would speak in one liners. Somebody would bring up an important point or make a joke, and the other person - usually Harry - would just completely fail to respond. Bad editing? I dunno.

That's very possibly Kloves completely loosing control of the structure of each movie and the saga as a whole, and just throwing points in there so nobody can complain things were left unsaid. You can totally see him sweat in the middle films, trying to balance making an impossibly faithful adaptation for the fans, have it fit within the saga for the nonreaders and, if possible, make a coherent movie. I think he gave up by film 6.

The Tale of the Three Brothers, so cool!

Yes. Yes it was.

My Vertigo eye wants to see Blade Runner eye again.

Speaking of which, I have no idea why I still use this avatar. I couldn't think of anything else back then. My God, it's almost 5 years!

Karol

No, you're supposed to set example for grouchy intellectual-wannabes that experience physical pain when someone has a laugh or enjoys Michael Bay movie. And eat bread with no spread, drink acid, sleep on nails...stuff like that.

;)

Karol

No, you're supposed to set example for grouchy intellectual-wannabes that experience physical pain when someone has a laugh or enjoys Michael Bay movie.

+1

Henry Jackman's score was very disappointing (me being a huge fan of his Kick-Ass stuff. It looks like he's sold out to the RC sound as well. Oh well.

What else have you heard besides Kick-Ass? I will agree that he has his own sound and is unique, but I say that for most of the RCP composers :P

Henri 4 is a great score, in a similar sound to Zimmer, which is not surprising considering they co-composed. But then again the booklet gives 100% credit to Jackman.

What else have you heard besides Kick-Ass?

Gulliver's Travels.

Can't a man change his avatar from time to time?!! Who are you people!

yeah but the chick from SuckerPunch?

What else? Them goonies from Super 8?! Please, grow up, Joey!

No, you're supposed to set example for grouchy intellectual-wannabes that experience physical pain when someone has a laugh or enjoys Michael Bay movie. And eat bread with no spread, drink acid, sleep on nails...stuff like that.

;)

How did you know?! :eek:

Alex

NO Alex something that doesn't make you seem like a lecherous, creepy, sinister, perverted older guy who gets his jollies from underage school girls in knee highs.

Deathly Hallows part 1 is the only Potter film I don't own on DVD.

I agree that it is a good film.

However, there is no "Wow" moment in there, no "sparkle" as you put it. And Desplat adds to that.

The Elder Wand finale is lame to no end.

Yeah, but there is no spot in that film where they would let Desplat have his "WOW!" moment. It's simply not this kind of filmmaking. Which is ironic, cause the series started out that way... Ah well...

Karol

When I say "wow" moment, I don't only mean those big thematic soars like Buckbeak's Flight or the Graveyard duel in Goblet Of Fire.

"Wow" moments can be intimate and small, too.

Close Encounter Of The Third Kind is full of those small sparkles, even excluding the last 15 minutes and Barry's kidnapping.

Desplat sounds intricate and intimate, but it never conjures that magic.

Yes, I know what you mean. But, again, that film was made in a way to pretty much contradict this approach. Being away from Hogwarts and all that. It's supposed to be raw and real world for whatever reason. It's still amazing Desplat was able to smuggle so many Williams' mannerisms into his score Because there are some references here and there.

It's quite similar to Chris Young's Priest which had mostly The Dark Knight in temp track (which I just mentioned elsewhere).

Karol

I still don't get why, as you said, "being away from Hogwarts and all that" should call for a score without magic sparkles or a few major-moded bright spots.

The first minute of "Secrets of The Castle" ... I love those moments, scenes that are totally irrelevant, but beautifully placed, that make a film accessible and memorable.

That's the stuff films are made for.

Deathly Hallows offered such nice travelogue scenes, and Desplat made nothing of them.

I still don't get why, as you said, "being away from Hogwarts and all that" should call for a score without magic sparkles or a few major-moded bright spots.

It's quite simple. The director says: "Give me something real, something like TDK. That's an amazing score and did magic for its movie. Let's see if this approach will work to make Potter more mature" ;) Do that or be sacked.

I don't agree with these decisions btw. All I'm saying it's amazing that Desplat (or any other composer in such situation) still finds some ways to work around that. It's not like he can't write the kind of music you'd like. Granted, there is some cold and sterile quality to his style, but he's clearly a very competent writer.

Karol

Obliviate is a WOW moment, it's a worthy track for the entire film series.

Saving Private Ryan: The two big war scenes are beautifully executed. Everything in between is not really bad but not really good either. It even can get boring (soldiers telling stories about other people or home) or unnecessary (little girl slapping papa in the face for toooo long or the translation of Edith Piaf). The incredibly sentimental bookends of the film (old Ryan at the military cemetery) make sure that the film looses at least half a star. Who would've thought that Vin Diesel, Paul Giamatti and Ted Danson play in SPR?! The music of John Williams is pretty redundant too and only gets good and appropriate when the end credits roll over the screen ... a solemn but sad tribute to the fallen.

Ps: Did anyone notice the obvious sfx dummy soldier on top of the German tank? That was not so good.

5546775_std.jpg

Alex

I mainly agree (the middle-section writing is ponderous, to say the least), but I disagree about the score and the bookends. The latter are melodramatic, yes, but they're tastefully done I think. I think such a respectful and reverent approach is permitted in this instance. There's no way it hurts the film, unless the viewer is a cold-hearted callous bastard, of course.

It's a war memorial, not ambiguous sci-fi you pretentious divvy!

My only problem with those scenes is the depiction of the perfect middle-America family, as is often the case with contemporary Spielberg. Maybe they should have had a black kid in the background to take the edge off it a bit. Oh hang on, he already did that in his previous film.

Of course it can and should, but in this instance I think you're barking up the completely wrong tree.

The bookends are just that - bookends. They reveal the director's personal opinion on the subject. The part where you get to make your own mind up is the big fat middle section.

The bookends of SPR were even more over-the-top sentimental (to the point that it doesn't become tasteless but utterly undrinkable) than a Clint Eastwood film at its most saccharine. They are part of the film and therefore hurt the film for those who have a problem with that side of Spielberg. For instance, I give the film a 7/10 but it could've been an 8/10 if the scenes were handled differently. Of course, I'm sure there are those who think it's precisely those scenes that give the film heart. :lol:

The bookends of SPR were even more over-the-top sentimental (to the point that it doesn't become tasteless but utterly undrinkable) than a Clint Eastwood film at its most saccharine. They are part of the film and therefore hurt the film for those who have a problem with that side of Spielberg. For instance, I give the film a 7/10 but it could've been an 8/10 if the scenes were handled differently. Of course, I'm sure there are those who think it's precisely those scenes that give the film heart. :lol:

They are a bit whitebread, that's for sure. The film lost me after Tom Hanks' high school teacher recital, done in the broadest ole'-war-movie-style. But i'm not so sure anymore that Spielberg isn't more right then wrong about the processing capabilities of his intended audience. If you look at the user ratings, few people are bothered by this stuff.

You mean when Hanks tried to calm down his man (who were about to kill each other) by revealing his ol' profession? I didn't really like that either, but then again, I'm a cold, heartless person. I think I'm going to watch Full Metal Jacket now. ;)

You mean when Hanks tried to calm down his man (who were about to kill each other) by revealing his ol' profession? I didn't really like that either, but then again, I'm a cold, heartless person.

That or Hollywood screenwriters assume they write scripts only for people who never watched a movie or tv series before.