What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

People want clear and obvious emotions. There is nothing going on in a film when they have to 'work' for it. No, they have to be told that this or that is going on. Movies like Crash certainly reaped the fruits from practices like that.

People want clear and obvious emotions. There is nothing going on in a film when they have to 'work' for it. No, they have to be told that this or that is going on. Movies like Crash certainly reaped the fruits from practices like that.

You mean RACISM - The Movie?

Whatever the film tries to convey, the music during the end credits does it so much better ... without words or images. I can't believe how beautiful the intro with the strings, snare drum and trumpets is. The emotion of those few trumpet notes (or are they flugelhorns?) is gold.

Alex

I haven't seen the film, but I agree with Stefan about "Hymn to the Fallen." I can do without the rest of the score, which is nice but rather bland...but Williams knocked it out of the park with that piece.

I haven't seen the film, but I agree with Stefan about "Hymn to the Fallen." I can do without the rest of the score, which is nice but rather bland...but Williams knocked it out of the park with that piece.

Like I said, the film itself could've done without the 'support' of a score. It did not add or change anything.

You mean RACISM - The Movie?

ROTFLMAO Those are my exact sentiments. SPR has it's flaws, but it's not so one dimensional that I feel like I've seen the whole movie in the first ten minutes. I not only think Crash was unworthy of any Oscar nods, but I also think it is an utterly stupid film.

Thandie Newton was fucking awful in it.

Crash is a great movie.

Like I said, the film itself could've done without the 'support' of a score. It did not add or change anything.

I wonder if Spielberg realized and but did not want to ask his friend John not to compose this one.

He told him not to score the battle scenes.

I'm glad Crash beat out Brokeback Mountain for best picture. I know I piss off alot of gays for saying that, but it's not a great film, nor is it a believable love story.

Past few days I have seen:

True Grit - Awesome!

The Big Lebowski - Still awesome

Fargo - Insanely awesome

Tron: Legacy - Started watching it, got bored and turned it off.

Freakinomics - Interesting

HP: DH Pt 1 - Again. (3rd time) Still love it

Hereafter - Jaw dropping opening scene. Slow moving, but superbly heartfelt and deep. You either like it, or hate it (same happened with What Dreams May Come, which I also liked) I am in the group that likes it.

In The Mouth of Madness - Creepily great. Awesome twist.

Up next:

The Rite

Rubber

The King's Speech

The Guard

Hilariously crass and obnoxious. If you were offended by In Bruges at all (this is the director's brother), then steer clear. Nice score by Calexico, too.

Super 8. It was alright, but it felt a bit like a forced Spielberg imitation without the magic. Score was good (but no End Credits suite!). Overall I wouldn't sit through it again

The creature doesn't really give you anything to root for it , so you basically don't care what happens at the end

Question(spoiler mode):

I didn't get what it does with the people it captures and hangs upside down, eat them?

I know that, and those parts were nice, but the sci-fi story was a bit lacking.

In this sort of movie your at least waiting for a payoff and a finale that'll blow you away and you don't get it.

The train crash didn't look realistic at all. It's like the train was travelling at supersonic speed and the last cars in the back of the train were literally taking off into the air and being propelled hundreds of feet and exploding all over the place . I dunno, the physics didn't seem right at all and it took me right out of the scene, because it was a so obviously fake CGI exaggeration.

Not to mention the driver of the truck isn't pulverised instantly and even survives

The train crash didn't look realistic at all. It's like the train was travelling at supersonic speed and the last cars in the back of the train were literally taking off into the air and being propelled hundreds of feet and exploding all over the place . I dunno, the physics didn't seem right at all and it took me right out of the scene, because it was a so obviously fake CGI exaggeration.

Not to mention the driver of the truck isn't pulverised instantly and even survives

From what i've read about SUPER 8's story, i think Abrams could have invested more in something like a...good idea? I hear aliens from Area 51 and i don't even yawn anymore. Billy Wilder once quite rightly said 'It's only about the story!'. This may not count for movies like SUCKER PUNCH, but for traditional storytelling, it's the absolute truth.

From what i've read about SUPER 8's story, i think Abrams could have invested more in something like a...good idea? I hear aliens from Area 51 and i don't even yawn anymore. Billy Wilder once quite rightly said 'It's only about the story!'. This may not count for movies like SUCKER PUNCH, but for traditional storytelling, it's the absolute truth.

It's a J.J. Abrams-fueled, action amplified version of E.T.

Isn't an 'original homage' an oxymoron?

It's movie, I mean if we can applaud some of the ridiculous things in other Spielberg productions we can surely overlook a well done train wreck.

C'mon people.

And I'll say this, Sucker Punch is nothing original and has one of the most predictable story lines and endings. It's crap like that gives me no hope for the new Superman film.

It's movie, I mean if we can applaud some of the ridiculous things in other Spielberg productions we can surely overlook a well done train wreck.

C'mon people.

And I'll say this, Sucker Punch is nothing original and has one of the most predictable story lines and endings. It's crap like that gives me no hope for the new Superman film.

Superman is an epic film, and epic film score. It's really the only true epic among the films John has scored.

It is also a stylized romance. Nothing Zach Snyder has done shows he's capable of making a film of that calibre.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt strictly based on lowered expectations. It's my new philosophy. Lowered Expectations.

The Darjeeling Limited (Criterion Collection)

Wes Anderson is one of the most precise filmmakers I've had the pleasure of experiencing. The restraint and detail of his camerawork is amazing, and his use of colors is always wonderful. I had forgotten how great this movie was. I hope Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and The Life Aquatic aren't too far off in Criterion's lineup.

SUPER 8

2011_super_8_movie.jpg?1307356762

A dispensible, silly film. It's like Abrams found himself a Spielberg - Do it yourself-Kit and all the parts were messy. There are some nice visual vignettes connecting a dumb story obviously only concocted to contain the nice vignettes (like the missing-dogs-table, the Close-Encounters finale, evacuation scenes etc.).

SIGNS is a masterpiece of a homage to Spielberg compared to this. Giacchino did a beautiful finale, but there weren't many other musical opportunities apart from some short interludes. So it's business as usual: lots of money thrown after a bad and ropey script. With Spielberg producing, he deserves a daily showing of this for at least two months as punishment.

Actually it wasn't all that expensive.

Karol - who had a misfortune to watch the latest X-Men film for the second time today and was so bored by it

the first review of Transformers 3 that I've read said that the new girl Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is so bad that she makes Megan Fox look like a proper actress.

I love that. Love it.

the first review of Transformers 3 that I've read said that the new girl Rosie Huntington-Whiteley is so bad that she makes Megan Fox look like a proper actress.

I love that. Love it.

Bring on TRANSFORMERS 4, then! Maybe they can find an 'actress' even worse. It could be a contest: WATCH THE MOST EMBARRASING ACTRESS MAKING AN ASS OUT OF HERSELF. It works on AMERICAN IDOL, so...

It's when the movie looses all its appeal to me. But the first part is still fantastic

It's the same with me, Merkel. That's why I think the new Supes should be a psychological art house drama completely situated in the fields of Donner's Smallville and not a collection of rescue missions in Metropolis. Of course, Elisabeth Taylor and Richard Burton should be Ma and Pa Kent.

The whole relationship between Kent and Lane (the dame that's one of the guys) is also typical of the screwball comedy of the '40s.

Karol - who had a misfortune to watch the latest X-Men film for the second time today and was so bored by it

You went back to the theater to see it once again?! Hmm, I'm sure I would veto that.

SIGNS is a masterpiece of a homage to Spielberg compared to this.

:eh:

Signs is in my top 20 worst movies and this is worse?! Hey, maybe I should give Super 8 a chance, hmm? I know that I already love the cinematographer!

You went back to the theater to see it once again?! Hmm, I'm sure I would veto that.

Oh I dunno, it doesn't seem so different to buying the dvd/blu to a movie one has previously expressed their displeasure towards before seeing it. ;)

I wanted to see something else (like the brilliant POTC4, or Hangover II, or Green Lantern ;)), but, unfortunately, my companions wanted to see this one.

Karol

Signs is in my top 20 worst movies and this is worse?! Hey, maybe I should give Super 8 a chance, hmm? I know that I already love the cinematographer!

Go ahead but don't complain nobody warned you afterwards.

TRANSFORMERS 3, just returned from it (press screening).

My God, what a mess!!

Liked the first, but 2 and 3 have been really, really bad.

I think it's convoluted and drearily melodramatic, but I love all the horror stuff. It's one of M. Knight's least irritating movies.

it's one of those films that I find doesn't appeal to non Christian folks almost univerally, but many Christian folks don't like it either. If you don't believe in a supreme being it's not going to work for most.

Hmm...I don't agree.

Your own personal religion does not necessary have to determine your opinion about a film with some religious angle.

I'm a non-believer, very proud to be one, but I think The Passion Of The Christ is a good film.

I never understood the hate for Signs. I love it.

:blink: Aliens who die when water is thrown on them come to a planet that is 80% water?? OOOOOOOkkkkkkkkkkk