What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

Joking aside, I think the domestic father-son scenes in CE3K are very realistic, actually.

True, a father would leave his child and family and Earth without giving it any thought. Spielberg understood that. ;)

I don't see anything at all domestic about a great big friggin' alien mothership hovering over a bunch of dumbfounded scientists. ;)

Isn't Dreyfuss himself the lost boy who wants to find his home ... his place in life?

When you wish upon a star ...

Makes no difference who you are ...

Alex

Saw Super 8 again tonight, and despite the fact that the sound was WAY too loud, and the audience was sadly nowhere near as responsive as the first, thinner audience I viewed the film with, I think I enjoyed it even more. Somehow, I think that just the fact that I wasn't as busy connecting the dots and evaluating the film, I was able to just enjoy it more. I think my grasp on the music also aided many things, not the least of which was the finale, which didn't quite get me tearing up the first time, but definitely did tonight. Particularly the moment when

the parents and children are reunited

, when that string passage (a variation on the main theme, I think, and one of the loveliest and most '80s Amblin magical moments in the score) gets going, it really got to me. I feel that my grasp of the score also helped make the flow of the last fifteen minutes work better also. It just seemed to make more sense. I do allow that it could be improved, but it connected before me this time.

And, man, those kids are great.

No, it looks pretty good but it's not a good movie, just like the majority of critics is saying. Also, it's too much of an action movie for me. The action is what it's about, however, the 4 of 5 big and spectacular action scenes have no buildup, content or meaning. It's all very random (and noisy).

I don't mean it literally. I'm not talking about the photography, which incidentally I also think looks horrendous. But that's just my own personal taste.

Yes, but if you ask me "is it as bad as it looks", I personally cannot say "yes" to your question.

I love Snyder's style (and I'm bored with just about everything else - BTW, the whole first scene is great or the moment when the camera enters the dance room for the first time is beautiful) but here it's too random, noisy and unconnected ... An excuse to do big action scenes. I don't like that. As a Snyder fan, I expected another Snyder trip, but it didn't happen. Sucker Punch is Snyder's Legend (Ridley Scott's childish and disappointing failure after making two mature comic book sci-fi classics).

Why doesn't it bode well for Supes? With 300 and Watchmen, Snyder proved he's very capable of adapting someone else's material to the screen. I just don't think he should write his own material.

300 is hardly deep and meaningful though, is it? I like it, it's a fun action flick with nicely OTT performances and a different look to the norm; the latter of which I'm not really sure whether I like or not.

As for Watchmen, well we're watching that tonight. The Director's Cut. I researched first and apparently it's the best version.

300 is hardly deep and meaningful though, is it?

What movie is? Strange that you should suddenly demand it. Personally, I don't need "deep and meaningful" to be absorbed by art.

Interesting. A lot say the exactly the same about John williams. I could argue that to recognize a style is to recognize the hand of the artist. It's not even true what you're saying. His first film Dawn Of The Dead looks like it could be directed by anyone. Does that make it more art than when you clearly can distinguish a style or an artist?

BTW, I was actually using the word "art" in the definition that everything what man creates and that is designed to touch the senses is called art.

300 is hardly deep and meaningful though, is it?

Personally, I don't need "deep and meaningful" to be absorbed by art.

I do. As someone who tends to look past the pleasing aesthetic of such things, I'm ALWAYS grateful when I find depth and substance behind the pretty images. I devour it. Seems rather shallow not to. I mean, isn't your way not so far removed from those who go to the cinema to be wowed by fighting cgi robots? Face value gets boring real quick, imo.

What movie is? Strange that you should suddenly demand it.

Sorry, what?

IMO, there's nothing deep and meaningful about most movies, and if there is, it's only because we put it there. Personally, I don't think 300 is designed to be deep and meaningful but rather to be immersive and to overload the senses. Alien or Jaws (I know you love those) are not deep or meaningful either. However, Alien intoxicates my senses too. Jaws bored me the last time I watched it, mainly the second part (the boat part). First part (the buildup) is still good.

Bingo! You sort of answered your own question.

I had nothing to "put" into 300. That's probably because it's an action flick about naked muscley blokes fighting each other, and an artificially looking one at that.

I disagree with your further edited in comments regarding Alien and Jaws. I personally find them to be deeply meaningful.

Interesting. A lot say the exactly the same about John williams. I could argue that to recognize a style is to recognize the hand of the artist. It's not even true what you're saying. His first film Dawn Of The Dead looks like it could be directed by anyone. Does that make it more art than when you clearly can distinguish a style or an artist?

That is true about Dawn of the Dead. It is much different than his other films, but I got the impression that after he made 300, he got the whole "if it aint broke, don't fix it" idea and just repeated that formula, making it seem thoughtless in the first place, at least to me.

And no, John Williams does not have a style the same way Snyder does. He has a style the way Spielberg or Hitchcock does. Snyder has a style the way Remote Control productions does - overbearing and repetitive.

BTW, I was actually using the word "art" in the definition that everything what man creates and that is designed to touch the senses is called art.

I suppose that's subjective.

I disagree with your further edited in comments regarding Alien and Jaws. I personally find them to be deeply meaningful.

Yes, I think every aspect of those films' styles was specifically drawn out for a specific meaning.

If you disagree then tell me what's you think is so deep and meaningful about Jaws?

[ Snyder has a style the way Remote Control productions does - overbearing and repetitive.

Again, that's exactly what they say about John Williams and it says nothing about art.

Supergirl

Wonderful film. Faye Dunaway is fantastic (she's even better than in Chinatown). As is the major Supergiril vs. Tractor setpiece.

Karol

Supergirl

Wonderful film. Faye Dunaway is fantastic (she's even better than in Chinatown). As is the major Supergiril vs. Tractor setpiece.

Karol

Liked it at the time of release but the last time I watched it I thought it was really, really bad (in a negative way). Maybe I should watch it again.

If you disagree then tell me what's you think is so deep and meaningful about Jaws?

Long story short: It's a state of mind, Alex.

Well, to put my long story short, I think art only needs to touch the senses and most art is there precisely to do that. To me, 300 and Watchmen (Sucker Punch not nearly as much) do something to me with the use of images what music does with the use of sound.

It's camp rubbish and I can watch it endlessly.

Exactly. The moment credits rolled I wanted to start watching it again straight away.

Karol

Long story short: It's a state of mind, Alex.

Well, to put my long story short, I think art only needs to touch the senses and most art is there precisely to do that. To me, 300 and Watchmen (Sucker Punch not nearly as much) do something to me with the use of images what music does with the use of sound.

Which is fine and good. But don't you think it's great when a movie can look good whilst also offering much more? Like the pages of a book, something to get your teeth into and not just glossy cover art? There's a whole world of positive emotions to be harvested out of movies which appeal and engage on more levels than just how they look.

Oh Alex, I've gone on about Jaws enough over the years. No offense but I honestly can't be bothered rambling on about it again right now. It would be easier if you just went to Rotten Tomatoes and read a review of the film. Or try the Empire one, that'll surely do the job as well. Pretty much any review will purvey my own feelings on why Jaws engages me so profoundly.

But I will say this myself: Jaws makes my eyes water and the hairs on my arms stand up. The music doesn't really play much of a part in that, incidentally.

Well, to put my long story short, I think art only needs to touch the senses and most art is there precisely to do that.

Do you only go after chicks that you are visually attracted to? None of that stuff deep down counts, right? In relation to what Quint said, you can have a good fuck but isn't it better when there's more going on between the two?

It seems like you only like films that are void of any emotion.

I don't wish to discuss those wonderful things. Not with you.

If however you would like to tell me about your own emotions when watching a film, then feel free. Because that's what it is we're talking about when we refer to emotion in film - we're talking about our own, deeply personal emotions and feelings.

I thought we were talking about "deep and meaningful" films. That's why I asked you to tell me about Jaws, so that I would understand what's on your mind. Someone else just said that he is sure Jaws and Alien are designed to have a deeper meaning. You too said it was "deep and meaningful" and that all the reviews will testify to that. But now you're saying it's about our "own personal and deep feelings". That sounds very much like what I said earlier, it's deep because we choose it to be ... because we put it there. I then can only repeat that I don't necessarily have to put depth and meaning into art for it to move me. Art itself can move me, intoxicate me, touch me, without me translating everything into something that is deep and meaningful. If art is able to move, to produce some sort of chemistry in the brain, put you in a trance, like a beautiful melody or sound, then I'm not going to condemn it. In fact, I will cherish it, no matter what your vague point of view happens to be.

Alien definitely has a deeper meaning in the sense you mean. The white, pure imagery at the start of the film contrasting with the dirty imagery on LV426 and outside the ship. The phallic head of the alien and other rape symbols. I think it could be argued that the deeper meaning of Alien is about rape or sexual violence.

Is that why you love the film, because it's about rape or sexual violence? I've read about that, of course. However, I know Ridley Scott says that even his first films have no deeper meaning and that it's all about set design and mood and that this is the reason why they hire him for. I love Alien to death and I know the film since 1979 but I never loved it for its alleged sexual undertones. In fact, someone could argue that there are hidden sexual undertones in 300 as well. I'm sure that, if you want, there are many themes in any movie ... even in Supergirl. Were deeper layers and meaning the focus of 300 and Alien? No. Can we each, if we should desire to do so, put deeper layers and meaning into them? Yes. When do you put it into them? When we like what we see.

Were deeper layers and meaning the focus of 300 and Alien? No. Can we each, if we should desire to do so, put deeper layers and meaning into them? Yes. When do you put it into them? When we like what we see.

Actually, I agree with that. Makes complete sense. It is the symbiosis of the film and viewers own personal feeling that make it click. The film itself is just a half-product, in a way. If what I'm typing here even makes sense...

Karol

Is that why you love the film, because it's about rape or sexual violence?

Yes, that is exactly why I love it. But no. The rest of your post is really subjective, so I won't argue with it, as neither of us will probably get anywhere(even less anywhere than the rest of the argument), but if what you're suggesting here is that I appreciate what the undertones are as opposed to their existence, you are wrong. I watch films with religious undertones, and while I don't appreciate religious undertones themselves, I appreciate how they are put into films, Signs for example.

Were deeper layers and meaning the focus of 300 and Alien? No. Can we each, if we should desire to do so, put deeper layers and meaning into them? Yes. When do you put it into them? When we like what we see.

Actually, I agree with that. Makes complete sense. It is the symbiosis of the film and viewers own personal feeling that make it click. The film itself is just a half-product, in a way. If what I'm typing here even makes sense...

Karol

It's exactly what I've already said earlier, accept for some reason Alex appears to not have understood me, or he has failed to see it. I thought I was being perfectly clear, but it seems I may not have been clear enough. I would however build upon Alex's wording (again) and say that for me at least, a film becomes meaningful for more reasons than just what I see with my eyes. I sound like a pretentious twat most likely, but I'm absolutely serious when I say that it's entirely possible to sense and 'feel' the many textures and qualities of great films when watching them (and when not) and sometimes it is the case that the imagery of a film doesn't even play a part in my enjoyment of it. If that sounds like an impossible contradiction then that's just too bad, I guess. Your loss, really.

Anyway, on another note, I finally saw Watchmen. Very enjoyable, very satisfying. I need to sleep on it a while.

Whilst I'm at it though I'll just comment on the photography, which was good, but nothing out of the ordinary or particularly special. But yeah, there's so much meat on the bone here that the imagery comes last in my reasons to inevitably give it five stars in the morning.

Hey Quint, I completely understand you about Jaws. It's been under my skin for 36 years. Both the film and the music, I cannot separate them. Everything about the film is dear to me.