Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

44 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Nice! Wish they would re-issue HP7 and 8 since I only got fanmade albums for those.

Perhaps they’ll get to those since this is Volume 1 & 2. I’d imagine they’d be Volume 3 & 4.

Who knows when they’d do it. This seems to be a new endeavor by EA, as they’ve only released 3 total from 2 composers so far.

43 minutes ago, Alex said:

James Hannigan arguably did a better job than Hooper.

I’d say he did a different job than Hooper. 

I was going to say, I don’t imagine that his scores would fit the film as well (as good as they are), but honestly, I don’t know that for sure.

Has anyone ever thrown Hannigan’s score against either of the films? Could be a fun experiment.

Hell, maybe I’ll do that today for fun.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, I see what you mean: the scores are amazing, but won't work with Yates' bleak take.

There might be some opportunities in Half-Blood Prince. That film has a little more fun in it.

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Ooh, how about replacing the Quidditch training music with Race Ginny?

Good idea! I'm currently working on some various options for things. I'll update later today

WOW. Just listening to the ending. This is so, so fascinating! Don't apologise for anything! I can't believe what I'm hearing.

EDIT: Right, I see what you mean about Quidditch not really fitting (in the beginning), and you did overscore that one a bit or maybe it was just a too 'obnoxious/intrusive' cue, but I'll take your friendship theme ending any day over Hooper's cue. Yes, Hannigan might have been a little too positive for the tone of the series, but anything is better than Hooper's blandness and I'm sure Hannigan would have found a great balance.

6 hours ago, Alex said:

James Hannigan arguably did a better job than Hooper.

The barrage of fanboys that were ready to stone you back then for making such a comment was insane.

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, I see what you mean: the scores are amazing, but won't work with Yates' bleak take.

Yeah, right. "Bleak" absolutely requires you to write music with no personality or melodic hooks. 

OotP isn't half as bleak as GoF. And Doyle did great. 

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

WOW. Just listening to the ending. This is so, so fascinating! Don't apologise for anything! I can't believe what I'm hearing.

EDIT: Right, I see what you mean about Quidditch not really fitting (in the beginning), and you did overscore that one a bit or maybe it was just a too 'obnoxious/intrusive' cue, but I'll take your friendship theme ending any day over Hooper's cue. Yes, Hannigan might have been a little too positive for the tone of the series, but anything is better than Hooper's blandness and I'm sure Hannigan would have found a great balance.

Glad you enjoyed! I did certainly overscore the opening of the Quidditch Tryouts I agree, I was having too much fun. Maybe I can do a new version at some point, but when Race Ginny comes in in really makes me feel things. Lol.

The ending cue does work rather well. If only there was a consistent theme like this for the trio's friendship throughout the series.

Here's another! This is the "Ron In Love" bit from Half-Blood Prince scored with James Hannigan's "Lovesick" replacing (as much as I do honestly like Hooper) a very bland and subtle cue. Is it too much? Maybe. But it certainly elevates an underscored scene and leans into the over-the-topness of a love potion gone wrong scene anyways:

Honestly, I love this. It almost sounds and feels like an evolution on the Eat Slugs and Polyjuice Potion material we've heard before to me. I enjoy it!

EDIT: Swapped this one with a better mix. Sounded too quiet when I listened back on my speakers.

Alright. Last one for the day. Here's the Ginny/Harry Kiss and some Liquid Luck quirkiness with James Hannigan's music.

I like the big, sweeping, romantic sound this gives the scene and the quirkiness is fun over the Liquid Luck stuff.

This has been a fun little side project for today! Hope you guys enjoyed. I may try to do some more soon.

@bollemanneke Another Hannigan rescore. This time for Order of the Phoenix as requested by @Alex. Here's the Thestral Flight, Dept of Mysteries, & Prophecy:

Another fun little section. The transition to "Welcome" is a tad rough. I could've written a quick patch to make it bridge better, but just wanted to stick with pure Hannigan and not get into too much. Hope you guys enjoy!

12 hours ago, TSMefford said:

@bollemanneke Another Hannigan rescore. This time for Order of the Phoenix as requested by @Alex. Here's the Thestral Flight, Dept of Mysteries, & Prophecy:

Another fun little section. The transition to "Welcome" is a tad rough. I could've written a quick patch to make it bridge better, but just wanted to stick with pure Hannigan and not get into too much. Hope you guys enjoy!

Very interesting. I do think the flying is over the top though, but the rest works well.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Very interesting. I do think the flying is over the top though, but the rest works well.

Certainty interesting. I think the flying is fun personally, but I do think it may be a bit much for such a quick segment. The tone changes are a bit fast. Maybe if that scene lasted a bit longer there would be room for a big statement.

The whole thing with this little experiment is that Hooper is too subtle for a lot of people (not me), but Hannigan may go a bit too over the top for the contexts of the film. We really need someone somewhere in the middle...like...that one bloke...John something. They should've gotten him. I've heard good things about him. 

26 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A quick GOBLET OF FIRE question:

When did Moody first change into another character? Was that Moody in the great hall, or was it always Barty Crouch? Was Crouch also Hagrid, and Karkaroff?

It was Crouch the entire movie.  And he was never anybody else

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Not just JW, though, any competent composer would have done fine. Look at what JNH did even with Yates running the show.

Oh sure. I was mostly just joking and being sassy.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A quick GOBLET OF FIRE question:

When did Moody first change into another character? Was that Moody in the great hall, or was it always Barty Crouch? Was Crouch also Hagrid, and Karkaroff?

As Jay said, yes, it's Crouch the whole time as Moody. 

The thing to pick up on that they have throughout the movie are two "ticks" that indicate a false Mad-Eye Moody. 

1. He takes swigs from a mysterious flask. Most of the time it's assumed he's just getting drunk or something, but it's Polyjuice Potion.
  2. He has that weird tongue flick thing that Barty Crouch Jr also does.

Harry has the dream at the beginning where Crouch Jr is in the house with Voldemort and saying "I won't disappoint you," it's implied in the film somewhere between then and Hogwarts that he abducted Moody (in the book of course he spills the whole story at the end when Dumbledore gives him the truth serum but you get the gist)

Why is it now so hard for me to shake off the notion that HP is just a prototype for other shitty teen novel franchises like Twilight, Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent, etc. and the realisation that it's not much better than those series?

It was obvious Moody was Crouch the moment his eye zooms in on Harry in the Great Hall.

24 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Why is it now so hard for me to shake off the notion that HP is just a prototype for other shitty teen novel franchises like Twilight, Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent, etc. and the realisation that it's not much better than those series?

The world of HP is better constructed, but each of those series has a different tone. 

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

HP helped popularize the teen cinema trend, that adapted young adult novels and ran from 2007-08 to 2016 (the year on which the last Divergent movie flopped at the box office)

That said, it's not fair to say that these other franchises were successful just because of HP. Twilight initiated (or, rather, re-initiated) a trend of its own, the sexy, but brooding, depressed and lonely vampire, which helped make the TV show The Vampire Diaries a huge success. The dystopian setting of Hunger Games had more in common with the also dystopians Maze Runner and Divergent than with HP.

However, it's not that HP is completly clean. It also inspired other crappy movies adapting books about teenagers and magic, such as The Seeker: Dark is Rising, Percy Jackson, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Golden Compass...

And to be fair, the quality of these YA movies and their books were mixed. I don't like the Yates-era movies, but they're well made. Hunger Games is good (both movies and books), but MR and Divergent are mostly shit. I liked the Percy Jackson books when I was younger, but I fear someone older would find them crap (the movies are horrible). And finally, Twilight had fans back then, but it was so mocked due to the poor quality of the franchise that they didn't even tried to bring it back and cash in the nostalgia.

49 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

HP helped popularize the teen cinema trend, that adapted young adult novels and ran from 2007-08 to 2016 (the year on which the last Divergent movie flopped at the box office)

That said, it's not fair to say that these other franchises were successful just because of HP. Twilight initiated (or, rather, re-initiated) a trend of its own, the sexy, but brooding, depressed and lonely vampire, which helped make the TV show The Vampire Diaries a huge success. The dystopian setting of Hunger Games had more in common with the also dystopians Maze Runner and Divergent than with HP.

However, it's not that HP is completly clean. It also inspired other crappy movies adapting books about teenagers and magic, such as The Seeker: Dark is Rising, Percy Jackson, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Golden Compass...

And to be fair, the quality of these YA movies and their books were mixed. I don't like the Yates-era movies, but they're well made. Hunger Games is good (both movies and books), but MR and Divergent are mostly shit. I liked the Percy Jackson books when I was younger, but I fear someone older would find them crap (the movies are horrible). And finally, Twilight had fans back then, but it was so mocked due to the poor quality of the franchise that they didn't even tried to bring it back and cash in the nostalgia.

I'm talking more about the framework of HP and its relation to the other mentioned franchises, and not necessarily whether they took place in a fantasy world or a post-apocalyptic dystopian warzone.

I recall Twilight had some audience crossover with HP shippers, and Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner and even The Fifth Wave, Ender's Game and Independence Day: Resurgence(!) to an extent all had that oblique HP thing about it where of course the teens are the focus in some shallow story of survival and angst in a world in great peril and interacting in some way with the militaristic establishment, but with a supporting cast of established adult actors playing authoritative roles in an attempt to lend it some level of credibility.

That'd all be fine if HP was isolated in those characteristics, but those tropes repeated in these other franchises become cliches and the awful effect of that is that it sags HP into yet another franchise in that teen/dystopian/survival/romance genre. And I find that stigma difficult to shake off from a franchise that previously held some level of prestige when John Williams was scoring its earliest entries.

Kinda like how SW isn't "special" anymore and seems to now bleed into every other big blockbuster franchise.

Hmm, Harry Potter was the first big YA adaptation for me, so it's not like they're tarnished by the subsequent YA series - it just meant I was always comparing the later series to HP.

Star Wars is still special, but everyone's going to have a different opinion on that; what about the people who love the Prequels, Sequels, spin-offs etc.?

I suppose for me, the tropes were ruined from over-exposure in an endless conveyor belt of inferior knock-offs, which exposed the inherent weaknesses that were always present in HP but I never really noticed it before.

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Thanks for all those responses.

Does ARTEMIS FOWL stand a chance?

From what I’ve heard...not really.

13 hours ago, Arpy said:

Hmm, Harry Potter was the first big YA adaptation for me, so it's not like they're tarnished by the subsequent YA series - it just meant I was always comparing the later series to HP.

Star Wars is still special, but everyone's going to have a different opinion on that; what about the people who love the Prequels, Sequels, spin-offs etc.?

Precisely. 

However, on the Star Wars note. I never saw it growing up. So I had seen many many films that were likely inspired or influenced by Star Wars first. And by the time I finally saw the films (which was only about 8 years ago at this point) they didn't quite have the magic on me that they might have had if I'd seen them as a kid.

Honestly anyone who didn't experience Potter initially with the books or the movies might feel the same disconnect, or as if they had seen it all before, even though technically it was near the beginning, if not the beginning, of the YA movies trend. Personally I hold Potter in much higher regard to most mentioned here, with the exception of The Hunger Games series, which as @Edmilson mentioned is pretty good. 

It's possible though that I hold Potter higher...because I saw it first. I will say though that the first 3 films are basically classics in my opinion. I don't think I'd say that about The Hunger Games or any of the entries in most of the other series mentioned. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Hannigan releases went under my radar until yesterday. This is great! I got them on HD Tracks. I never thought I'd hear this music in lossless.

In the likely case that you don't like the EA Composer Series album covers, here are some custom covers I found:

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Video Game (Alternate).png

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Video Game (Alternate).png

5 hours ago, Drew said:

The Hannigan releases went under my radar until yesterday. This is great! I got them on HD Tracks. I never thought I'd hear this music in lossless.

In the likely case that you don't like the EA Composer Series album covers, here are some custom covers I found:

It is definitely great! According to Hannigan though, he's doubtful his Deathly Hallows scores will get the same treatment. I'm honestly surprised these ever came back out into the market. I assume EA had to come up with a way to release it "generically" and avoid all the Potter licensing stuff.

Thanks for the covers!

• 3 weeks later...

Just moved a swath of posts out of this thread.

This thread should only be used to discuss the Potter / Wizarding World series of films and their scores and video games.

If you want to talk about what JK Rowling is saying in real life, that discussion belongs in OTHER TOPICS, in this JK Rowling thread, and should stay contained within that thread. 

Thank you.

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

Just moved a swath of posts out of this thread.

This thread should only be used to discuss the Potter / Wizarding World series of films and their scores and video games.

If you want to talk about what JK Rowling is saying in real life, that discussion belongs in OTHER TOPICS, in this JK Rowling thread, and should stay contained within that thread. 

Thank you.

Sounds good. Thanks Jay

@TSMefford Bravo! Those are some of the best and most natural re-scores I've ever heard! This is truly what was missing from those movies, listening to those clips with Hannigan's music gives me much more of a closer vibe to the Williams era Potter movies, and adds significantly more emotion to all of those scenes. If I watched the entirety of Half Blood Prince scored like this and with a re-grade that removes the muddy color filter - I'd dare say this movie would become one of my favourites of the series. I think this is one of those rare cases where the writing and acting was on point, but the other aspects of the film let it down for me. There's such genuine heart and wholesomeness with the character's interactions in this, and with more appropriate music and color filters those moments would truly shine (and now do, just from the music change alone).

7 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

@TSMefford Bravo! Those are some of the best and most natural re-scores I've ever heard! This is truly what was missing from those movies, listening to those clips with Hannigan's music gives me much more of a closer vibe to the Williams era Potter movies, and adds significantly more emotion to all of those scenes. If I watched the entirety of Half Blood Prince scored like this and with a re-grade that removes the muddy color filter - I'd dare say this movie would become one of my favourites of the series. I think this is one of those rare cases where the writing and acting was on point, but the other aspects of the film let it down for me. There's such genuine heart and wholesomeness with the character's interactions in this, and with more appropriate music and color filters those moments would truly shine (and now do, just from the music change alone).

Oh thanks! I should revisit this again. I think I had other ideas for scenes, but just haven't gotten to them yet.

16 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Oh thanks! I should revisit this again. I think I had other ideas for scenes, but just haven't gotten to them yet.

I recall hearing Dumbledore vs. Voldemort OOTP scored with Hannigan's final duel cue a while back on YouTube but it was a bit clumsy, I'd love to hear what you'd be able to do with that scene - especially considering the final duel of the movie OOTP is mostly without music.

10 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

I recall hearing Dumbledore vs. Voldemort OOTP scored with Hannigan's final duel cue a while back on YouTube but it was a bit clumsy, I'd love to hear what you'd be able to do with that scene - especially considering the final duel of the movie OOTP is mostly without music.

Sure. I could certainly take a look at that one!

• 1 month later...