Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

53 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Harry Potter and the Ball of Prophecy

Or Harry Potter and the lost prophecy or last prophecy.

A better title than the actual book.

Not kidding, when I was very young, when I first heard of the title, I thought someone was going to place an order to buy a phoenix.

7 hours ago, Arpy said:

If you put the series into a chart like Chen does, you're not going to see a carefully plotted story that hits the right narrative beats where you would expect them

Actually, most of the beats fit like clockwork. Its just the beginning of the central conflict that takes longer to take shape than you'd think, but since we know Voldemort is going to be the arch-villain from the first film, it still works.

Films like Prisoner of Azkaban work to the effect of an intermezzo. The shadow of Voldemort still looms over them, so it does work.

• 10 months later...

I guess the answer is straightforward, but just to be sure: does the 20th anniversary set of HP1 contain an isolated score? Or is that considered unnecessary in the magical movie mode experience? The fanboy in me actually wants to buy this thing.

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I guess the answer is straightforward, but just to be sure: does the 20th anniversary set of HP1 contain an isolated score? Or is that considered unnecessary in the magical movie mode experience? The fanboy in me actually wants to buy this thing.

I haven't heard any reports of it having an isolated score. In fact, I've heard mostly disappointment about this release, as it seems to contain mostly things we've seen already. Even the transfers are reported to be from the Ultimate Edition sets as far as I've heard.

Sounds like they just slapped on some BTS footage picture in-picture and some trivia graphics to create the "Magical Movie Mode" That's a pass for me probably.

Source: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=19259091&postcount=5348

Huh, nice. I bought the DVD for €11 just in case and bcause I can finally listen to Columbus' commentary now. It's the first time it's been released on DVD and if I feel I don't like it, second-hand shop it is.

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Huh, nice. I bought the DVD for €11 just in case and bcause I can finally listen to Columbus' commentary now. It's the first time it's been released on DVD and if I feel I don't like it, second-hand shop it is.

Columbus has a commentary on it? Or is that part of the movie mode thing?

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I think it's just what was available on the ultimate edition blu-ray already, but for some reason they didn't find DVD users worthy enough back then.

Ah I see. I have seen that then. Annoying that they didn't have that on the DVD until now.

In all the versions of this thread we are approaching nearly 20 years(17 actually). Pardon me for patting my own back for this threads existance along with its true inspiration Alex  C. Without him this thread never existed.

The UK 20th Anniversary DVD hath arrived.

Disc 1: theatrical cut. Not remastered at all (the end of You're A Wizard, Harry is still not audible on the rear channels) and certainly no isolated score. I bet they just used the disc of the 2018 set.

Disc 2: director's commentary (ripping now.) Nothing else. I guess the curiositities and experiences and whatever it was they were going on about in the press release is reserved for the Blu-Ray, but I might be mistaken. They also got Jim Dale to narrate the main menus. He's barely audible as well so they wasted their money.

I will not rebuy Potter again until they release more deleted scenes or have isolated scores. 20th Anniversary would've been a perfect time to do it. What a waste.

Yeah, but to be fair disc 2 of this thing has the deleted scenes we know added in again, though most fan editors would be able to come up with better transitions. I'm also curious what they are planning for the 20th HP3 anniversary since it never had any kind of PIP track on the Blu ray.

My interest in the movie and score has revived because of this new set, though. I'm definitely going to try and go to another HP1 concert this year if possible. The score is so, so fantastic.

12 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, but to be fair disc 2 of this thing has the deleted scenes we know added in again, though most fan editors would be able to come up with better transitions. I'm also curious what they are planning for the 20th HP3 anniversary since it never had any kind of PIP track on the Blu ray.

My interest in the movie and score has revived because of this new set, though. I'm definitely going to try and go to another HP1 concert this year if possible. The score is so, so fantastic.

Ah yeah. The extended edition is still pretty old though unfortunately (at least in the U.S.). I believe it was released on disc here for the first time in...2009? Chamber of Secrets has one as well, but they never did the other films (despite having Extended Cuts that aired on TV)

I would hope for the future films that would consider the extended cuts and new PIP content.

5 hours ago, Datameister said:

Wake me up if they ever release an in-depth feature on the Hogwarts miniature they used for exterior shots. It'd be very helpful for a project of mine.

I know this isn't exactly in-depth, but maybe you haven't seen it yet. A documentary about miniatures in film has been posting extended excerpts from their interviews along with BTS photos and video captured.

They posted a segment on Hogwarts, interviewing with the people who worked on it:

Highly recommend the channel for anyone who loves miniatures.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here gone to a 'the magical music of Harry Potter' concert? I want to know if it's concert arrangements without movie audio or random movie excerpts with live music, like that Game of Thrones thing?

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

As long as Yates is put away from th camera why not.

I was not a fan of the way Columbus directed his two entries, although I like Philosopher's Stone quite a bit.

I doubt the original trio would be interested in this. Aside from the JK Rowling-shaped elephant in the room all three of them have very much moved on from those characters and are very choosy about their movie roles. I haven’t seen Grint in anything for years, he seems disinterested in acting altogether.

Even though the Cursed Child story sucks big time, I would still be intrigued to see what Columbus did with it. Of course, I would not stand for anyone replacing Alan Rickman and they would need to do some big re-writes too, otherwise it can't be saved.

4 hours ago, Once said:

I'm only interested if Columbus can get Williams to write the score, haha.

That would be a strange situation.  A sequel score that extensively references ONLY the first three movies and retcons the scores for 4-8.  

35 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

That would be a strange situation.  A sequel score that extensively references ONLY the first three movies and retcons the scores for 4-8.  

It’s not unheard of, Marvel all but jettisoned Silvestri's Avengers and Captain America themes only to get him back on board after they were criticised for leaning into anonymous scoring, bringing his themes with him. 

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I will be a bit harsh but frankly is there anything that need to be referenced to from the music of 4-8?

4 is great but it develops almost no themes that are used after

5&6 are fine but again every thematic are forgotten after

7&8 are not really good so not much interest to bring them back

Eventually only Williams themes did survive in this saga so nothing new with a movie referencing only 1-3

Excuse me, but 4 is a brilliant score and 7 is a very thematic and good score while 8 has its great moments. The music did not end when Williams stopped writing. The real question is, do we need any themes references except for Hedwig's theme? Does the story require them? And the answer is no. JNH or Powell would do just fine.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

4 is a brilliant score

I completely agree!  I've still never sought out the sessions leak because I want to wait for an official expanded release.  It's gotta be soon.....right?

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Excuse me, but 4 is a brilliant score and 7 is a very thematic and good score while 8 has its great moments. The music did not end when Williams stopped writing. The real question is, do we need any themes references except for Hedwig's theme? Does the story require them? And the answer is no. JNH or Powell would do just fine.

I didn't said HP4 had a bad score but none of the themes are used in the sequel same thing for the other

My point is that only the Williams themes were used again while all the others were forgotten so a new movie that only consider Williams music would just be another HP sequel!

Powell and JNH would do fine but Williams would still do better;)

On 04/11/2021 at 6:40 PM, Docteur Qui said:

There you go! I had no idea. He's certainly my favourite of the three actors, he has a causal, natural charisma about him. Glad he's still doing things.

To be fair, it looks like Grint hasn't been in a movie of any kind since 2015, but still makes these TV appearances. I heard him on a podcast promoting the Shyamalan thing and he talked about how he doesn't really have much interest in shaping a career and that he often enjoys doing nothing. Would that we all had the privilege. He's also the first of them to have a kid so that's nice.

I think they'd all be open to a Cursed Child movie theoretically, but they must feel better off not having to deal with Harry Potter right now...between JKR and Fantastic Beasts, it's in a less cozy spot than it was 10 years ago and they all made statements against Rowling's comments last year.

Emma Watson seems the choosiest and probably would be the toughest sell. She'd be the Harrison Ford, I think. Radcliffe, I feel like he could take or leave it. Probably closer to "leave it" but on the other hand, I enjoy that his reputation lately is that he'll apparently do whatever you want him to do.

I think he's become really savvy about his limitations and has figured out how to ride a line between actor and exhibitionist. The scene above along with other things like Equus, Swiss Army Man, and even him rapping on The Tonight Show are basically him embracing being a monkey for everybody on his own terms, like he's simultaneously playing right into the fact that he's Harry Potter while going 180 degrees away from it. He has no shame and people love him for it, plus the fact that he's so tied into the theatre and indie film worlds gives him some street cred. He's probably doing better than if he had tried to win an Oscar or star in tedious action movies. 

Even if nobody's actually watching him in anything, he has a habit of picking the kookiest premise or wardrobe to generate a "Look what Harry Potter did" headline every other year 

1269724_Wallpaper2.jpg

harry-potter-daniel-radcliffe-holding-gu

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

An opinion I have come to have over the last few years is that Radcliffe is not actually a very good actor, but gosh he sure does try hard and really pushes himself into interesting places, which I do respect.

Couldn’t agree more. He’s such a good sport about it all too.

On 7/11/21 at 8:04 AM, Jules said:

I'll add my voice to that too, Radcliffe's seems like a lovely guy.

Also HBP and OOTP have great scores too, sue me. 

See you in court. 

I actually also like HBP (the score that is), can’t remember much of OOTP. 

Yates was the worst thing for the franchise though. Just our luck he was the one who got to do a majority of the films. Wish we got Cuaron/JW at least for the final two. Though I do like what Desplat did overall, but still. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Zimmer said:

See you in court. 

I actually also like HBP (the score that is), can’t remember much of OOTP. 

Yates was the worst thing for the franchise though. Just our luck he was the one who got to do a majority of the films. Wish we got Cuaron/JW at least for the final two. Though I do like what Desplat did overall, but still. 

An entire HP series directed by Cuaron would be incredible. I also enjoy Desplat's stuff, but imagine a somber JW score for the final two ugh

Actually, I didn't like Radcliff a lot as Harry Potter.

But, gosh, that guy has a huge comedy talent.

Watching the Harry Potter movies I would have never believe that this guy is so hilariously funny.

Looking forward to everything new he does in the future.

32 minutes ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Yates was fine for 2007, the real crime is that he’s been making the same film since OotP with diminishing returns. Among the many misfires of the Fantastic Beasts films (apart from the boring and borderline atrocious screenplays) is his stuck-in-the-late-2000s directorial style. We’ve all moved on from grey, dystopian palettes, but he clearly hasn’t.

On 07/11/2021 at 8:04 AM, Jules said:

I'll add my voice to that too, Radcliffe's seems like a lovely guy.

Also HBP and OOTP have great scores too, sue me. 

Tomorrow morning, eight o'clock. I do my killings before breakfast.

They should just throw all caution to the wind and get Julie Taymor, her Fantastic Beasts or Cursed Child movies might still be bad but she would do insane things with Harry Potter. Maybe I'm just thinking of her because Cursed Child is theatre. Plus we'd get an Elliot Goldenthal score. At this point I just want someone to pick these movies up who's completely out of their mind. It's not like the material itself is good anymore. 

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

They should just throw all caution to the wind and get Julie Taymor, her Fantastic Beasts or Cursed Child movies might still be bad but she would do insane things with Harry Potter. Maybe I'm just thinking of her because Cursed Child is theatre. Plus we'd get an Elliot Goldenthal score. At this point I just want someone to pick these movies up who's completely out of their mind. It's not like the material's good anymore. 

Yeah, anything to breathe some life into things.  For the love of God, anything but David Yatezzz.  It's been 15 freakin' years!

Tarantino? Have Tina execute Newt and then a samurai swordfight between her and Jude Law in which she's victorious. Meanwhile Jacob uses a flame-thrower to blow up the MACUSA, Queenie shoots Leta in a shopping mall and Grindelwald takes the money and runs. Franchise over.