Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

Cursed Child is an amazing experience in the theatre. It certainly can’t be appreciated by simply reading the script and I don’t know if a movie would work either. 

but I can’t understate how amazing it is to see live.

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Why not hire Rian Ruin Johnson for the Cursed Child movie? This way all the female characters will be badass despite all the male characters being idiots or incompetents.

I don't find that all the female are badass at all here, only the one written by RJ (Rey is far less smart than in TFA, Leia is almost absent and never have a clue on what to do) on the other hand DJ is a smart thief, extraordinary gifted

To me RJ just didn't know what to do with the ancient characters

I'm not a fan of Yates at all most of the time, but I do think we're blaming him for too much right now. The first thing this franchise needs is a better screenplay. Then I'm happy to think other directors, but as long as JKR is in control of the story, this is not going to end well with any director. No one could have saved COG.

On 06/11/2021 at 3:24 PM, Disco Stu said:

An opinion I have come to have over the last few years is that Radcliffe is not actually a very good actor, but gosh he sure does try hard and really pushes himself into interesting places, which I do respect.

I was thinking about this and I've decide that Radcliffe's best option is to go full Mark Hamill.  Basically "You'll never escape the shadow of this role and you should compensate by becoming an incorrigible over-acting ham that gets brought in to be cartoonishly big."  Not even necessarily only in voice roles as Hamill did.  I think we've definitely seen hints of this route in Radcliffe's choices and he should just lean into it all the way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Meh.

I'd rather if they celebrated the anniversary of the franchise with a new show on HBOMax or something. I particularly would love a Clone Wars-style animated series set in the 1970s depicting the First World War against Voldemort and the origins of the Order of the Phoenix.

Only halfway through so far, but I'll be honest, if you are or were a big Potter fan then you likely have heard most of these stories before. It's cool to see them all together again though. Maybe there's some more interesting material in the 2nd half.

EDIT: Just finished it. First half had it's moments for sure, but I think I enjoyed the second half more. Overall, I think I would've preferred to see far more of the interviews and moments with the cast together chatting. I really wished they hadn't devoted so much time to pretty well-known stories and film clips. I'd like to see some extended interviews at some point maybe. It was fine though. 

I will say that I think, at this point in my life, I value the movies more than I do the books.

Gotta disagree with the Guardian. Her absence didn't feel like a void. In fact, I was rather annoyed by her appearance via a 2019 interview. Would've preferred she just wasn't in it at all and they just focused on the films cast and crew. I understand that it's her stories and everything, but this reunion really isn't about her.

I suppose that's my issue with this. It's more so a retrospective than a reunion. I would've preferred more reunion, because as I said before...I had heard quite a lot of these stories before, especially in the first half. There's good moments throughout, but I could've done without the reminder of certain things, the significant amount of clips from the films, and the quotes from the books as if I'd somehow forgotten them. Just feels like it lacked focus. It was fun though. I didn't hate it. It just wasn't what I'd expected / wanted.

I do have to acknowledge though and wonder if this wasn't really made for the hardcore fans and was more general on purpose for new fans and casual audiences. I don't think this special was made for someone like me.

4 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I will say that I think, at this point in my life, I value the movies more than I do the books.

I couldn’t be more completely opposite.  Outside of the Williams  scores and the 3rd film, I actively try to pretend the movies don’t exist.  Pale shadows of the books.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I couldn’t be more completely opposite.  Outside of the scores and the 3rd film, I reactively try to pretend the movies don’t exist.  Pale shadows of the books.

Oh I'm sure a ton of people feel that way. But the movies bring me a lot of joy. I haven't actually felt remotely compelled to read the books again in years. Which, if you would've said that to me even 5 years ago I would take as a complete shock. 

Wish I could fully explain it, but I think I've fallen out of love with the series as a whole over time recently. It's not even anything to do with JKR, it's literally just sort of happened over the last several years. The movies and of course the scores though were a huge influence on my childhood and they're really their own separate thing from the books by the end of it.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I couldn’t be more completely opposite.  Outside of the Williams  scores and the 3rd film, I actively try to pretend the movies don’t exist.  Pale shadows of the books.

Add the Doyle score to that and same. And count the FB movies in with the movies.

1 hour ago, toothless said:

Watched it. It was fine but it was not a reunion. It felt like they tied some behind the scenes clip together and that’s all. In terms of reunion, the Friends one was better.

100% Agree with you.

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh ffs. How did this even happen??? Did the editors just google "Emma Watson as a child" and grab the first thing they found??

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right?  I have no clue why he makes them because they are such a turn off and makes a person who doesn't know what Pitch Meetings are get the completely wrong impression.  I keep hoping one day he'll replace them all with something better

On 3/3/2022 at 1:45 AM, Jay said:

Right?  I have no clue why he makes them because they are such a turn off and makes a person who doesn't know what Pitch Meetings are get the completely wrong impression.  I keep hoping one day he'll replace them all with something better

because it gets clicks. That’s it. The dumbass people on YouTube click on thumbnails that look like that way more than the ones that are just normal cast photos so he keeps doing it. I will literally never watch one of those videos as a result, it’s such a visceral turnoff to me. I’ve never watched a Pitch Meeting video and I never will because it looks like he’s catering to the lowest common denominator in his videos. Even if he’s not I don’t care, because I despise the appearance of it.

also I’m really turned off by YouTube film critics in general, they’re mostly abysmal and have made a mockery of the art of criticism, so I’m clearly biased in the first place

Pitch Meeting gets around my annoyance with the nitpickers of Youtube (Cinema Sins etc, actually is that channel still popular?  I haven't heard about it in a few years it feels like) because the whole deal is that he's playing two characters that are both dumbasses in different ways.  Makes it feel more like a comedy sketch gently ribbing your favorite movies than some "well actually *pushes up glasses*" kinda thing.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Makes it feel more like a comedy sketch gently ribbing your favorite movies than some "well actually *pushes up glasses*" kinda thing.

Exactly!

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

He is. Only not right now. 

I think he's waiting for the money to be jacked up as high as possible.

He will 100% do it, no question about it at all.

That and just more time away from DH2. They're technically still a little young, anyway, the story is famously set 19 years later and we're at 11. If they really wanna do it in a way that'll get fans most excited they should shoot for 2030. And it's definitely a SW situation where you need Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson to agree or else nobody wants it. 

21 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

That and just more time away from DH2. They're technically still a little young, anyway, the story is famously set 19 years later and we're at 11. If they really wanna do it in a way that'll get fans most excited they should shoot for 2030. And it's definitely a SW situation where you need Radcliffe, Grint, and Watson to agree or else nobody wants it. 

It will all come down to money. And money is very persuasive in 99.99999% of the cases

• 4 weeks later...