Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

Another problem is Voldemort. He's barely in these films. Fiennes has one full scene in the previous film with dialogue. None in the one before....

Eh, I'm not gonna complain about that. I'd rather he was a character in the background. I mean, how many scenes did the emperor have in Star Wars? And he was frightening.

That's why LotR are such excellent adaptations - they offer something different than the books. Rowling probably wouldn't let them get too creative

The LotR films have superior source material.

I watched the trilogy a couple of months ago and was amazed how much was actually changed from the books. It's not like I think these are the masterpieces of storytelling, but they've done a lot of carefull work on adapting these things. And it still feels like everything they added, expanded upon or just moved, belongs to the books.

Karol

Because Tolkien wrote those to be a cultural mythology. Therefore they lend themselves better to extrapolation and change.

Rowling wrote her books to cha-ching. And intellectual property laws defend her work. ;)

Harry Potter has such a huge fan base they would be foolish not to release a box set. I've already heard rumors that a DVD box set is expected around Christmas. They did it for Lord of the Rings and the Indiana Jones films,I can't believe they won't do a box set of the soundtracks. Question is,when? Now would be a good time but maybe they are planning a Holiday release. Who knows?

Yes, but it would have been nice to have "Hedwig's Theme composed by John Williams" next to Desplat while his music is actually playing when the credits start rolling. I mean this theme appears quite a lot in the score (I think about 12 times, not counting tracked material)

:music: Captain America: The First Avenger by Alan Silvestri

Karol

Ok, the only JW theme about people speak is cited is Hedwig's Theme. Aren't there any renditions of other JW themes? What about Harry's Theme, the Family Theme, Voldemort's Theme?

Did anybody else think it was a little strange when McGonagal sent ALL of Slytherine into the dungeons? I don't remember if it was in the book or not, but it reminded me of the USA's Japanese interment camps in WWII.

No it's the theme that opens Harry's Wondrous World.

To me it's a sepereate theme from Hedwigs.

Yet, still it is still the B-section of Hedwigs Theme that opens Harry's Wondrous World, not the Opening of Harry's Woundrous World, that appears as the B-Section of Hedwig's Theme...

... Yes, that makes sense!

Ok, the only JW theme about people speak is cited is Hedwig's Theme. Aren't there any renditions of other JW themes? What about Harry's Theme, the Family Theme, Voldemort's Theme?

Nope, only that one, the tracked tracks from Williams scores and a small snipped of Hooper's Dumbledore's Farewell (also tracked).

Karol

Williams wrote that melody for use in the trailers, back before he ever penned "Harry's Wondrous World."

Yes I see it that way as well. I call this theme Harry's Theme.

This marks a day that shall live in infamy, no longer will the board be filled with posts concerning Williams scoring another HP film when it was obvious he wasn't going to.

;)

I've heard that he composed a special suite with a bunch of new themes for the end credits, but the producers thought it sounded too "old-fashioned" so it remains unreleased, sadly. Supposedly, it was material Williams specially wrote for the Battle of Howgarts.

However, FilmComposer911 and Conrad Pope have confirmed it will performed in an upcoming concert.

I've heard that he composed a special suite with a bunch of new themes for the end credits, but the producers thought it sounded too "old-fashioned" so it remains unreleased, sadly. Supposedly, it was material Williams specially wrote for the Battle of Howgarts.

However, FilmComposer911 and Conrad Pope have confirmed it will performed in an upcoming concert.

Is this true or are you mocking?

If they ever make The Tales of Beedle the Bard, I sure hope Williams will score it!

:thumbup::)

It is still the castle theme .... :rolleyes:

Alright :). So the Castle Theme isn't there in DH2, pity.

The castle theme *is* your so-called "Harry's Theme", *is* Hedwig's Theme B-part.

Anyone who thinks of that melody as being anything other than a part of Hedwig's theme should consider how the two melodies end - identically. It's just the second part of the theme, and Williams sometimes used it (to amazing effect) on its own, often over establishing shots of Hogwarts. Simple as that.

John will score the next set of the Hogworts stories. Scorpious Malfoy and the Cabinet of Curiosities.

or "Harry Potter and the Crippling Student Loans"

no, no more Harry Books, it only works with other characters.

I'm listening to DH2 again, and it's growing on me. I really like how "Neville the Hero" and "Showdown" worked in the film.

Still not as good as Part 1, but as a finale, it's effective.

I agree with you, especially after viewing the film. A particular cue that has gotten some extra listens is "Broomsticks And Fire". The music is superior to Part I in my opinion, and fit well in context of the film.

I just saw the movie. It totally lived up to my expectations and beyond.

A few thoughts (SPOILERS AHEAD!!!):

Overall:

- The movie is much better edited than the few predecessors. It's like Yates finally found his rhythm. The movie is very faithful to the book, much to my satisfaction.

Specific scenes:

- Alterations from the book:

- Almost none of them, unexpectedly, did bother me. Most of them were even ingenious.

- I loved the boat house sequence. It's much better than Shrieking Shack. I just missed a wide shot in this scene.

- Neville saving the day felt completely right

- Few minor things I didn't like:

- why didn't they just show Bellatrix' wand at Gringotts? They had it!

- The pensieve looks like an ufo.

- The very last scenes of the trio when Harry breaks the elder wand, they felt abit out of place.

- The epilogue is quite embarrassing and unnecessary. It would have been a nice surprise if they would have left that scene out out. Just a wide aerial shot of Hogwarts would have done.

- Snape's thoughts were now tears.

- The Snape memories were a bit rushed and I didn't like the child actors so much. Also it would be wonderful if they would have had the Snape memory from OotP in the montage!!

- Voldemort's death is the only scene that felt unsatisfying. You don't realize what exactly is going on and suddenly he is gone, and becomes confetti. Confetti! :blink:

What I really liked:

- There are some kick ass scenes. Really kick-ass, such as:

- Harry stepping forward as Snape speaks to the students.

- McGonagall vs. Snape

- Escape from Gringotts, wow!

- Did I mention the boat house scene?

- Helena Ravenclaw, even without the back story.

- As much as I hate his interpretation, this is Michael Gambon's best movie as Dumbledore.

- Last but not least: Voldemort: he feels much more real, you can feel his fear now, his increasing weakness, yet still he shows he is the most powerful dark wizard ever at the right moments. Oscar worthy material. I loved his reaction to Potter escaping at the courtyard, and the following confrontations between him and Harry.

The music:

- Alexandre Desplat is no John Williams. Not technically, but also not regarding the flow of music. Yet this is one of his best scores to date. The music is much better than Part 1. Desplat at moments even imitated Williams in style, e.g. in the vault scene and during some of the battle scenes. Also there is much more music, more underscore, which felt good. The main problem is that Desplat lets the tension go too quickly, e.g. after the dragon escape, but most obviously after the pensieve scene when Harry is contemplating. Music here was absolutely necessary.

- JW's theme is used properly and although I am a hardcore JW fan, and to my own surprise, I felt more of it wasn't needed. I do think however that because of its use, this film finally felt like a HP movie again.

Conclusion:

- We must be happy that we have had Potter movies of this quality. All of the critique should be seen in perspective. It all could have been much worse!

- I am a big fan of the very first movie. This one is a close second, if not the best of them all. It pushes 95% of the right buttons.

Didn't Olivander say it is dangerous to use at the beginning of the film? Maybe they were afraid it could somehow betray them in some way. Or whatever...

- Voldemort's death is the only scene that felt unsatisfying. You don't realize what exactly is going on and suddenly he is gone, and becomes confetti. Confetti! :blink:

Yeah, it is very sudden. Didn't get what happened at first.

- As much as I hate his interpretation, this is Michael Gambon's best movie as Dumbledore.

Yes.

- McGonagall vs. Snape

It was a bit too short though.

Karol

It felt awfully wrong to me. Just-in-time ... that was such a cheap thing to do.

- The epilogue is quite embarrassing and unnecessary.

I found it a perfect end.

Leave it out and millions of people simultaneously scream in terror.

Because he wasn't in it ...?

Honestly, only two minutes or so, you can't compare that to any other Potter film.

Didn't Olivander say it is dangerous to use at the beginning of the film? Maybe they were afraid it could somehow betray them in some way. Or whatever...

The goblins knew it was an intruder, I think the request for her wand was meant to stall and/or disarm the intruders.

It felt awfully wrong to me. Just-in-time ... that was such a cheap thing to do.

Yeah, I definitely would've preferred Neville killing the snake after he gave that speech to Voldemort. Or better yet, skip the speech, pretend he's turning to the dark side, get an awkward hug from Voldemort, and then kill Nagini.

It could well be, Neville was already lurking from behind some rocks and just waited for the right moment.

Because he wasn't in it ...?

Honestly, only two minutes or so, you can't compare that to any other Potter film.

He doesn't have much screentime, but some of the key scenes of the entire series. His conversation with Snape is very intense, and Gambon finally shows some dignity in his acting.

Same for the King's Cross "heaven" scene. He finally shows some honest interaction with Harry (although it still feels miles away from Richard Harris' warmth) and a little bit of the characteristic Dumbledore humor.

Most important thing he isn't running around like an old wife ;)

Yeah, I definitely would've preferred Neville killing the snake after he gave that speech to Voldemort. Or better yet, skip the speech, pretend he's turning to the dark side, get an awkward hug from Voldemort, and then kill Nagini.

Or better yet: give the speech, kill the snake and kill Voldemort. And Harry says: "It's good a get this Deus Ex Machina option in every movie".

Karol

- McGonagall vs. Snape

It was a bit too short though.

Yes I agree, it was hardly a duel, but those few seconds were awesome! :)

Or better yet: give the speech, kill the snake and kill Voldemort. And Harry says: "It's good a get this Deus Ex Machina option in every movie".

Karol

I am happy there is not so much Deus ex Machina as there could have been. I mean, most of the savings are explained.

O btw guys did you hear professor Slughorn explain his lack of initiavive by the fact that he couldn't find his wand? I think that was funny :)