Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

I feel Peter O'Toole would have been the only suitable replacement for Richard Harris as Dumbledore.

Oh, that would've been brilliant! Wow. Just imagine that...

Yes, I can picture it now....a drunken, disheveled Dumbledor, holding a bottle of something and telling Harry he needed to loosen up a bit and enjoy life. ;)

is that a real pic or photoshop?

Of course it's photoshopped. Do you think that Alan Rickman's words can just hang in space like that forever?

i know this has nothing to do with your post but everytime Rickman is mentioned this pops into my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lSH5Ne6RZE

I always thought Patrick Stewart would have been the perfect Dumbledore.

Somebody should get the man a role in the last film! For f**** sake he's the last standing Brit not in the movies!

Actually, I think you're right. However, he is too well known for his characters in Star Trek and X-Men - it would be like having Captain Picard as Dumbledore.

I feel Peter O'Toole would have been the only suitable replacement for Richard Harris as Dumbledore.

absolutely not.

is that a real pic or photoshop?

Of course it's photoshopped. Do you think that Alan Rickman's words can just hang in space like that forever?

You know what, sometimes I start to think they can...

The piano scene would have been funnier if she was teaching Ron how to play "Hedwig's Theme".

Wouldn't have been the first time the melody had been featured in a diagetic way (see "Hagrid Plays the Flute"), although I think by now the theme is just too recognizable for anyone to have taken such a scene seriously in DH.

Maybe they're waiting for Part II to petition the Academy? They don't want to push their luck with back-to-back sequel scores?

Even FOTR and ROTK were separated by a year where TTT didn't win.

The Academy invented some lame rule that year that led to TTT (and AOTC and HPCOS) being disqualified for nomination on grounds of re-using material from a previous score. The following year the rule was gone

The Academy invented some lame rule that year that led to TTT (and AOTC and HPCOS) being disqualified for nomination on grounds of re-using material from a previous score. The following year the rule was gone

The only way the DH1 score could've been disqualified if Desplat used more than 11 minutes of John Williams' themes (or based his score on Hedwig's Theme). Since that didn't happen (barely 5 minutes), they're probably waiting for Part 2 before putting it on their 'For Your Consideration' banner.

From what I've heard so far, DH would be an improvement over the top contenders for best score.

Indeed. Unless that, Giacchino or Arnold sneak in it's going to be another dull year.

Well FOTR was also up against A Beautiful Mind, Gosford Park, In The Bedroom, and Moulin Rouge

ROTK was only up against Lost In Translation, Master and Commander, Mystic River, and Seabiscuit

Winning Best Picture isn't just about being a really good movie, its about being better than the other movies you are up against that year

Winning Best Picture isn't just about being a really good movie, its about being better than the other movies you are up against that year

Then surely Fellowship should have won instead of ROTK.

Well, the year that FOTR lost was the year of "A Beautiful Mind." ROTK won the Oscar for Best Picture -- and swept all other categories -- as a way to honor PJ's achievement of creating the entire saga in such a short span of time.

Finally saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 this weekend

Overall it was good an entertaining, but I can't help feel that something was... off, but I can't put my finger on what.

The trio being on the run was handled effectively. I liked the run-ins they had with the snatchers along the way, and the climax and Malfoy Manor was pretty effective, though it felt a bit rushed to me. Actually the scene in Godric's Hollow seemed a bit rushed too.

Was surprised to realize at the end that this movie had no McGonagall at all! The random scene on board the Hogwarts train was kind of odd. And did I read that they showed Cho Chang on the train? Isn't she a year above Harry's grade?

I also missed the beginning - when I walked in Hermione was standing on a driveway, and then the title of the movie came up. What did I miss in the very beginning?

The cinematography was great, I really enjoyed all the different places they visit. I also enjoyed the trio having to solve mysteries without anyone else to help them. Couple things I was confused by though:

How did the Sword of Gryffindor get in that frozen puddle? And who's patronus was it that led Harry there? Was this something that wasn't explained in the book either (I read it so long ago I don't remember), or is it something that will be explained later?

The whole Gegorovitch / Grindlewald thing was confusing as well. I get the feeling that won't be explained in the second movie though.... I guess in the end it was all just clues that led Voldemort to Dumbledore's grave to get the Elder Wand, eh?

Wasn't The Burrows destroyed in the last movie (in a scene that was never in the books)? Seemed to be OK in this one.

The score was, just like the last 3 movies, completely unmemorable. Don't remember a single cue or theme. I think John Williams would have written something really remarkable for this film, though, if Yates had been open to allow it.

McGonagall also doesn't show up in the book until the final few chapters, and I believe Cho Chang has been changed to Harry's grade.

The very beginning showed Bill Nighy as the new Minister of Magic giving a speech about "dark times", followed by a montage showing the Dursleys moving out of Privet Drive and leaving Harry behind, Ron standing outside his home looking "reflective", and Hermione removing all traces of herself from her home, including erasing her parents' memories, in case the Death Eaters came calling.

The Sword of Gryffindor/Patronus was explained in the book, but not until the very, very end. It will be most likely be explained in Part 2.

Yes, Gregorovitch/Grindelwald mostly just functioned as clues to the Elder Wand. Also, yeah, the Burrow was destroyed in the last film, and was rebuilt in this one without any explanation as far as I recall (although the art director has said that he included some tell-tale signs that it's "in repair" if you look for them, such as drywall, insulation, etc)

I know, I was so pissed I missed the beginning! I'm sure I'll see it at some point

Just thought of another thing I was confused by. What was up with the shard of glass Harry was carrying around the entire movie? Did I miss that explanation or was there none? I can't remember if it was in the book either?

Just thought of another thing I was confused by. What was up with the shard of glass Harry was carrying around the entire movie? Did I miss that explanation or was there none? I can't remember if it was in the book either?

This is indeed confusing. Before Sirius' death he gave the mirror to Harry in 'the Order of the Phoenix'. In the book, that is.

Since the original cut of the fifth film apparently should be around 40 minutes longer it is possible they shot scenes involving the mirror, however in the existing film-Potter-world Sirius' mirror just magically shows up without explanation in this seventh movie.

All the Potter movies have deleted scenes on their DVDs, they simply didn't film a lot of the interesting stuff from teh books they really should have. I dunno why - the LOTR films showed their was a clear market for theatrical cuts followed by extended versions on home video 11 months later

Anyway, are you sure the glass shard in HPDHp1 the movie was supposed to by from Sirius's mirror, which I remember from the OOTP book but was absolutely not a part of the film universe at all?

All the Potter movies have deleted scenes on their DVDs, they simply didn't film a lot of the interesting stuff from teh books they really should have. I dunno why - the LOTR films showed their was a clear market for theatrical cuts followed by extended versions on home video 11 months later

Well, the first two films directed by Chris Columbus were released as "Ultimate Editions" with all the cut scenes reinstated, but the others were released in their theatrical editions because the directors did not want to add the deleted scenes.

I know, but my point is that the deleted scenes are only so much.... there are lots and lots from the books they COULD have filmed but simply didn't.... adding back in the deleted scenes from movies 3-6 would make them longer and include FEW more things from the book, but tons of stuff was dropped at the scripting level and never filmed

If I was in charge, I would have filmed 3 hour + versions of all the movies.... still released shorter theatrical cuts first, but release the longer cuts on home video later

I know, but my point is that the deleted scenes are only so much.... there are lots and lots from the books they COULD have filmed but simply didn't.... adding back in the deleted scenes from movies 3-6 would make them longer and include FEW more things from the book, but tons of stuff was dropped at the scripting level and never filmed

If I was in charge, I would have filmed 3 hour + versions of all the movies.... still released shorter theatrical cuts first, but release the longer cuts on home video later

I think anyone with these resources would have.

The mirror's not in the OotP film? I don't remember.

No, it's not. And none of the really meaty stuff they shot ended up on the DVD -- several more scenes with McGonagall and Umbridge, plus an extended Sirius/Bellatrix duel in the Ministry of Magic. Not on the DVD or Blu-ray releases. And since they cut out the cleaning sequence, the locket ended up being cut out of the film and had to be shoehorned in the final film.

It is possible that when they were shooting both DH films back-to-back, they shot a flashback sequence with Sirius giving Harry the mirror and then cut back to Harry finding the mirror, only to find it broken. That would've gotten the point across efficiently.

Someone on Mugglecast said (and I agree) that the mirror as used in DH was a hint by the director that not everything that happens in the Potter universe is shown on screen. In this case, Harry obviously got the mirror from Sirius, but because its origin is not important to the plot, that isn't shown on screen. It's kind of an acknowledgment to fans that even though screen time is limited, we can assume that a lot of the events described in the books still occur off screen and may have an impact on what we see on screen.

But the most interesting stuff doesn't end up on the DVD at all.

Like Hagrid teaching about the Thestrals, the Ministry attacking McGonagall, Bellatrix and Sirius' original battle scene, Dumbledore explaining Priori Incantantem... heck, even Rik Mayall's Peeves. <_<

All filmed, but they prefer to show deleted scenes with Trelawney eating. :rolleyes:

Oh OK - I had no idea all that stuff was filmed. I thought the deleted scenes we got was all that there was

Well, that makes it even more annoying then that the "Ultimate Edition" DVD/blus of 3 & 4 weren't extended. These box sets are their chance to give us all this stuff!

Well, that makes it even more annoying then that the "Ultimate Edition" DVD/blus of 3 & 4 weren't extended. These box sets are their chance to give us all this stuff!

I won't be surprised if Warners does re-release movies 3-5 with the extensive deleted scenes included as a bonus (after the Ultimate Editions for all 8 movies come out). I really miss the ones from Phoenix, it would've fixed a lot of the story problems with the film. I still like Phoenix, if only because it was so effectively trimmed down to a nice, trim 138 minute-runtime.