Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

"Up The Wire" is 27 seconds long...not sure what you mean by the cue lasting 17 seconds.

I mean that to my ears the second half doesn't sound as part of the same cue.

For "Taking Off" how it's presented on the U.E. is cut up and looped. How it's presented in my set is correct.

I wouldn't even think that how you present the cues is "incorrect". It IS the best available set. I'm just saying that there is a small, but noticeable silence in the edit of that cue that shows that it's not 100% complete.

"Great Duel (Part 2) / Crash Landing" is presented as how it should be. Jesse Harlin (music editor for the games) even confirmed that with me.

How the other track is..that is how it should be. There's a track in Jedi Powers that presents it that way but is laced with sound effects but I did the edit to match that....

"Great Duel (Part 2) / Crash Landing" is presented as how it should be. Jesse Harlin (music editor for the games) even confirmed that with me.

Meaning that the games included 100% of the music that Williams recorded for that cue?

How the other track is..that is how it should be. There's a track in Jedi Powers that presents it that way but is laced with sound effects but I did the edit to match that....

How it should be = as Williams intended, including all the recorded music?

http://www.jwfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/09-Take-To-Your-Ships-The-Big-Army-Taking-Off.mp3

Meaning that the games included 100% of the music that Williams recorded for that cue?

How it should be = as Williams intended, including all the recorded music?

http://www.jwfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/09-Take-To-Your-Ships-The-Big-Army-Taking-Off.mp3

For "The Great Duel (Part 2) / Crash Landing" yes, the games provided the whole cue. The Phantom Menace computer game actually was the first game to provide it.

For the second part of your question...yes...

Correct. Unfortunately the music in video games is not always in coherent quality. TPM, Racer and Jedi Power Battles are the lower end, while more recent games like TOR are up the higher end.

For the second part of your question...yes...

I think that the little interruption in the middle of this clip clearly shows that the cue is not complete.

This is part of The Big Army. I'm sure that bits of this remain unreleased - it was trimmed down considerably for the OST and although various bits have appeared in games none of the presentations have been comprehensive.

6M7pt2 (Duel Continued) is complete as represented on the original 1999 Phantom Menace game, with the piccolo overdubs.

6M7pt2 (Duel Continued) is complete as represented on the original 1999 Phantom Menace game, with the piccolo overdubs.

How do you know this?

I believe we have actually had this posted by Trent before: he asked Jesse Harlin and he confirmed to Trent that was what was in the cue.

No, it clearly indicates that multiple sources were used.

I'm sure that bits of this remain unreleased - it was trimmed down considerably for the OST and although various bits have appeared in games none of the presentations have been comprehensive.

Hmm...

• 1 month later...

So listening to the rear channels of the Podrace deleted scene, does anybody notice that it seems to be only the synth instruments!?

So, I was bored and decided to rip the 2.0 documentaries on the Prequel DVD's and see what music was in them, this is what I found:

The First Kiss:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9UmZTYXZOUlJZNUU/view?usp=sharing

Rainy Ramp:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9U0VSeWFMa1U3ejg/view?usp=sharing

Finding the Conveyor:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxQSwI5aPja9YVJIVWRnT3pXbjA/view?usp=sharing

What cue is this statement of Vader's theme from?

• 2 months later...

The tubular bells at the start? They're part of the score. The chimes in the first unreleased middle bit are SFX.

Okay, thanks. I was referring to the bell at :21 in the clip.

The tubular bells at the start? They're part of the score. The chimes in the first unreleased middle bit are SFX.

Now I have a time to go off, I can say definitely that those bells are part of the music. That specific part is found clean in The Force Unleashed.

Now I have a time to go off, I can say definitely that those bells are part of the music. That specific part is found clean in The Force Unleashed.

Thanks! I've heard the bells in every edit I've listening to, but I wasn't sure if the source was from the DVD/Blu-ray or if a clean version existed.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across something truly bizarre on Spotify: a horrible, cheap cash-in album of Star Wars music based on a combination of synth mockups and second-rate orchestral performances, complete with live applause and sloppily cut off tracks. But there is something interesting: a complete performance of Duel of the Fates with its original instrumentation. I remember that we found most of this in game files, but as far as I know the last minute or so never surfaced. Maybe I'm wrong. But anyway, here it is:

The Star Wars Singers & Orchestra – Star Wars

Just came across something truly bizarre on Spotify: a horrible, cheap cash-in album of Star Wars music based on a combination of synth mockups and second-rate orchestral performances, complete with live applause and sloppily cut off tracks. But there is something interesting: a complete performance of Duel of the Fates with its original instrumentation. I remember that we found most of this in game files, but as far as I know the last minute or so never surfaced. Maybe I'm wrong. But anyway, here it is:

The Star Wars Singers & Orchestra – Star Wars

There's only a small transition missing in the middle. You could get all of it from the Obi-Wan video game.

I'm a bit behind the times... what does "with it's original instrumentation" mean?

Was DOTF written and recorded one way, then completely rewritten (or just re-orchestrated) and recorded again?

I'm a bit behind the times... what does "with it's original instrumentation" mean?

Was DOTF written and recorded one way, then completely rewritten (or just re-orchestrated) and recorded again?

Ya it was recorded at least two or three different times. The Obi-Wan game files has a different version of it.

Edit: It's too bad that piece on spotify is in mono.

Well, Ebobulator once said that it seems that all of the percussion for the three Prequel scores, not just ROTS, appears to have been recorded separately from the rest of the score. I'm inclined to agree here when you hear certain percussionless sections that otherwise perfectly match the versions with percussion.

The version of DOTF on the album and used in the films definitely has different orchestration though (for instance, in the original, the clarinets performed the underlying ostinato whereas in the album the violas take that part instead), so it's possible that the additional percussion simply wasn't recorded for that version.

Actually I said I think we could assume that the percussion for TPM and AOTC were recorded separately. We all ready knew the percussion for ROTS was recorded separately when the recording session information started appearing....

The first take of "Duel of the Fates" had orchestra and choir recorded simultaneously. The final take, aside from differences in orchestration, also had the choir and orchestra recorded separately.

It's more likely they recorded it separately but mixed it together when the first mixes were done (which is essentially what the music in the video games are).

• 1 month later...

What does "Gelb" mean?

I guess it's a reference to Peter Gelb, who was head of Sony Classical back then. I guess Williams indicated "Gelb" because it's likely Sony requested a specific version to be released as a single.

You are correct.

In Gelb’s study, there is a poster for “Fantasia 2000,” signed by Roy Disney, and a sheet of music signed by John Williams and headed “The Gelb Version”—an iteration of the music Gelb commissioned from Williams for “Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace.”

source: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/10/22/man-behind-the-curtain

I'm guessing the person who wrote this either mistook Episode II for Episode I, or Williams wrote a 'Gelb version' for TPM as well (DOTF? Anakin's Theme?).

• 2 weeks later...

With the new Battlefront game taking place exclusively in the OT timeframe, it's looking highly unlikely that any unreleased Prequel music will show up.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I was listening to the Tatooine source music, and I was wondering, could "Street Band of Mos Espa" and "Desert Winds" be the same music, but with the former having instruments removed?

I'm guessing the person who wrote this either mistook Episode II for Episode I, or Williams wrote a 'Gelb version' for TPM as well (DOTF? Anakin's Theme?).

Perhaps the TPM arrangment of the End Credits from the original Star Wars?

They share the same beat but there is different instrumentation between "Desert Winds" and "Street Band Of Mos Espa".

They share the same beat but there is different instrumentation between "Desert Winds" and "Street Band Of Mos Espa".

To my ears, it sounded the same but with the extra woodwinds.

• 3 weeks later...

They probably just had one long source music track and used fragments from it in various portions.

But since the so-called Ultimate Edition only had the film stems, then they would have used the portions of that source track which appeared in the scenes in the film.

To my ears, it sounded the same but with the extra woodwinds.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Imagine

A collector's box with all tracks: D ~~

I'd pay a good amount of money for it. Been dreaming about a box like this for many years.

Ditto. Theres also some alternates that we never got, including the original approach to Coruscant in TPM.

Also, was there ever a confirmation that Williams wrote (more) original music for the Arena Battle in AotC - or did Lucas just tell him he was going to track it with previously recorded score?