Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

Imagine

A collector's box with all tracks: D ~~

I'd pay a good amount of money for it. Been dreaming about a box like this for many years.

Ditto. Theres also some alternates that we never got, including the original approach to Coruscant in TPM.

Wait what?

Imagine

A collector's box with all tracks: D ~~

I'd pay a good amount of money for it. Been dreaming about a box like this for many years.

Ditto. Theres also some alternates that we never got, including the original approach to Coruscant in TPM.

Also, was there ever a confirmation that Williams wrote (more) original music for the Arena Battle in AotC - or did Lucas just tell him he was going to track it with previously recorded score?

I'm going to parrot Faleel and say 'wait what?' How do you know whether there is an alternate version of the Coruscant arrival music? Unless you're referring to the old bootleg edits that put a piece of the original Anakin's Test at the end of the first part.

Theres not much to it but in this book

514udZDAQ%2BL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

Theres a page or two about the scoring sessions (why is it BTS stuff always ignores the music score?) where Lucas asks Williams to change the "coloring". Williams says something to the effect of "I scored the scene as 'red' but George asked me to do it in 'blue'." I remember it had to do with the original entrance to Coruscant - but I also haven't read the book in about ten years. If I can dig it up tonight, I'll post a photo.

• 1 month later...

I know TPM and ROTS have a weath of great cues not on the OST. I'm a little more unsure about AOTC. What are the best unreleased cues from that score. Off the top of my head, I can think of Anakin Changes, Yoda Strikes Back and a few microedits from The Area. Anything else of note or is the rest moody underscore and the separatist's motif?

1 hour ago, dfenton85 said:

I know TPM and ROTS have a weath of great cues not on the OST. I'm a little more unsure about AOTC. What are the best unreleased cues from that score. Off the top of my head, I can think of Anakin Changes, Yoda Strikes Back and a few microedits from The Area. Anything else of note or is the rest moody underscore and the separatist's motif?

I'll echo how fantastic Shmi's funeral is. It's got the same brooding undertones as much of the score but also some kind of vengeful sadness. It's a great cue. 

• 4 months later...

Random question - does anyone happen to remember which game file contains the clean opening for the bongo surfacing near Theed in TPM? Not the flaring trombones, but that rising string figure. I know it's somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Edit:  Never mind! Another question, though: did we ever come to any conclusions about where the brass version of the DOTF intro belongs? The one heard in the film right as the doors open to reveal Maul? (I've been messing around with editing some TPM stuff, if you can't tell.)

On 1/21/2016 at 4:36 PM, dfenton85 said:

There's other cues from AOTC that are good unreleased ones...

"The First Kiss"

"The Meeting With Fett"

"Shmi's Funeral" 

"Finding The Conveyor"
"The Conveyor Belt"

"The Senate Scene"

"Dooku Vs Obi-Wan"

Luckily The Old Republic contained a wealth of new material for AOTC.  Despite a lot of cues having clean intros / endings a lot of the music in between seemed like they were taken from the film audio stems since there's loops and some clunky edits.  The music editors for some reason didn't use session bits for AOTC like they did for material for TPM and ROTS.

Yeah, numerous AOTC cues in TOR feature the same edits as the film.

While discussion is going again in this thread, I'll ask once more: anyone have any thoughts on that brass-only version of the DOTF intro? Trent messaged me and said he didn't know, and I'm just curious if anyone had any ideas. I'm thinking it must have been just been from an alternate take of DOTF.

Also, did we ever get any closure on where that string cluster belongs in TPM? The one in the game files that was overdubbed onto the tracked probe droid music right before the arena?

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

So I'm having a bit of a debacle. For many years now, we've been using titles like "Anakin Takes Off", etc. for the 47 second (approx.) long cue that plays when Anakin takes off (hence the title!), but such a cue name does not exist in the cue list... nothing even similar. Doing some math, it appears that it is either "6M2 Laser Fight pt.2" or is part of "6M4 The Big Army". Now, with all the music accounted for (that we have anyway), 6M4 is about 1:15 is most fan edits, including mine, but according to the sheets, it's actually supposed so be about 1:53... so what does go there if not "Anakin Takes Off"? After all, both "The Big Army" and "Anakin Takes Off" are combined on the OST. So which cue is it? And what it missing from the cue that isn't it?

No problem :)

The Big Army is missing a small amount from the mid-section, after the tom/gong roll, including a "Duel Begins" segment and just more repetition of the light tom hits.

Dear Trent B,

This is just a note to say I sent you a PM today regarding prequel scores. Little realising that I must have mailed you about exactly the same issue 4 years ago because lo and behold it appears you wrote me a very lengthy and detailed reply (4 years ago!) which I've only just this minute opened! Forgive me! I just hardly ever log in here. Thanks again! Yours Raymond 

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Faleel J.M. said:

Where did this come from?

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that's my edit. They used the same title and image as my video. My edit contained the mockup.

EDIT: Yes, that is my edit. This jackass just downloaded my video and uploaded it to their channel. As for the source of the mockup, I can't remember who exactly, but someone here sent it to me with several other mockups a few years back.

• 6 months later...

I'm not sure if anyone else would find this interesting, but I found a very short clip of the original Palpatine vs Mace fight with Anakin present (the scene that JW originally scored before it was reshot). Nothing too major, I just found it fascinating; especially how Anakin is just very nonchalantly following them around with no emotion.

Star Wars Episode 3 Mace vs Palpatine Original Scene (Clip).mp4

That fight is still one of the strangest things in Star Wars. All the awkward closeups and cuts and slow movements that lead into random flips and slickness. 

What was the original idea? When did Anakin show up in this version? Is this the music I have where it's the cue as heard in the movie but then there's tons of evil sounding music before the actual lightning shooting music?

On 8/21/2019 at 11:32 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm not sure if anyone else would find this interesting, but I found a very short clip of the original Palpatine vs Mace fight with Anakin present (the scene that JW originally scored before it was reshot). Nothing too major, I just found it fascinating; especially how Anakin is just very nonchalantly following them around with no emotion.

That makes absolutely no sense for him to appear right then....

1 hour ago, Trent B said:

That makes absolutely no sense for him to appear right then....

Lucas rewrote a lot of that section of the film and reshot parts of it to fit. Originally, Anakin's story was simply that he was greedy for power and completely mistrustful of the Council at that point. He didn't go back to Mace Windu, instead staying with Palpatine. Originally, Palpatine was even fighting using Anakin's lightsaber (you can see in some shots it's Anakin's hilt).

Spielberg apparently convinced Lucas to change it and Lucas came up with the idea of Anakin wanting power to save Padme.

Agreed. In fact, I think that trilogy would have been stronger with even more focus on Anakin's fear of losing the people he loves. Really, the "gotta save Padme" thing should have been set up in AOTC, with Anakin having his first nightmare about her near the end of that film. Shmi's death only becomes an important plot point once you've seen ROTS...starting the Padme nightmares at the end of the same film would have set up the connection in a much clearer and more poignant way. (Not to mention the cool cliffhanger vibe...)

8 hours ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

So he would have those throughout the next 3+ years of the war/s?

Yeah, maybe. Or the length of time between the films could be a little shorter. In any case, if I remember correctly, Anakin has already been having these dreams before the start of ROTS.

• 2 months later...
57 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I found something rather interesting. Not really important at all, but interesting. I've been going through my rip of Jedi: Fallen Order (I've only examined a handful of files thus far). There appears to be a little bit of prequel music, but I'm not sure how much, or if there's any unreleased material. What is interesting however is that, and Gordy talked a little bit about this a few months back, is that ALL of the in-game music, including the music from the films, has been mastered in 7.1 surround sound. According to one of the EA devs, it sounds like JFO is pretty much the first game to utilize a full 7.1 mix. 

For instance, I just loaded up the game master of "Lament" from ROTS, and it is indeed in true 7.1 surround sound. Unfortunately at this time I am unable to get the files on lossless quality using current tools, only compressed OGG files.

Just thought that was interesting. I'll continue to sift through the files to see if I can find anything else.

That is actually pretty interesting. Maybe you'll be able to find some unreleased material... perhaps those two small sections of the film version of Palpatine's Plotting that we don't have? Lol. I'm sure Lament sounds amazing in 7.1 surround sound.

I'm surprised there's no thread yet for this game and its score because it really is fantastic music (Cal's Theme is gorgeous, especially on flute). I swear I heard an excerpt from Phantom Menace during the game last night but figured it couldn't be, based on LFL's policy of original game music. Guess it was there after all! 

It was the weird ethereal music as Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan arrive at Otoh Gunga city (at least as labelled on the OST, I'm not super familiar with that score). It was inside the derelict facility on Zeppo. 

Definitely interesting that the scores have been mixed at 7.1 though. That has to mean they went back to the multi track masters for all the scores (I assume these exist for the OT?) and created new mixes. Surely you don't go to that much trouble unless you're planning to release them in some form, unless these new score masters were used in the Dolby Atmos 4K mixes...? 

I've only come across 3 or 4 pieces of film music thus far, all of which were from ROTS. What's weird is that they are using the album mixes, but they aren't exact. For instance, the ending tail of "Lament" is considerably longer, so you can hear the orchestra stop playing at the very end. On the album version, it fades out before it ends naturally. It's as if they have access to the film stems (as per previous games), but went to the trouble of remaking the album edits for some reason.

@crumbs My guess is that they're bringing all their material to the standards of the industry i.e. if they're going to release games/films/animations in surround sound - utilizing elements of music at their disposal, it makes sense for this mastering to take place. 

On 11/18/2019 at 7:15 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I found something rather interesting. Not really important at all, but interesting. I've been going through my rip of Jedi: Fallen Order (I've only examined a handful of files thus far). There appears to be a little bit of prequel music, but I'm not sure how much, or if there's any unreleased material. What is interesting however is that, and Gordy talked a little bit about this a few months back, is that ALL of the in-game music, including the music from the films, has been mastered in 7.1 surround sound. According to one of the EA devs, it sounds like JFO is pretty much the first game to utilize a full 7.1 mix. 

For instance, I just loaded up the game master of "Lament" from ROTS, and it is indeed in true 7.1 surround sound. Unfortunately at this time I am unable to get the files on lossless quality using current tools, only compressed OGG files.

Just thought that was interesting. I'll continue to sift through the files to see if I can find anything else.

Am I allowed to ask if you're willing to share any of the new music?

6 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Am I allowed to ask if you're willing to share any of the new music?

You're not really, not here, but nobody can police the private messages!  "The Dark Web"

• 6 months later...

Small observation after extracting music files from SWBF2 EA and from playing one of the mobile games: EA absolutely does have access to the 'archive' material as far as music goes. They just choose not to use it for the most part, instead using the original album versions.

I found the 'as-written' version of TPM's Blowups in there (two different takes - one is clearly the same take as the UE but played at the correct speed), as well as the clean opening of 'Suite' version of TPM's End Credits. Galaxy of Heroes uses the film version of Moving Things Along.

The latter is most certainly of interest - since there's absolutely no reason for DICE's audio mixers to combine two takes together instead of just using the one, especially when they just opted to use the album versions as-is prior. So somebody has been assembling takes into single tracks. Maybe the guys who did the Disney OSTs? But then, I wonder why they'd bother with the cues not used in the OST.

20 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

The latter is most certainly of interest - since there's absolutely no reason for DICE's audio mixers to combine two takes together instead of just using the one, especially when they just opted to use the album versions as-is prior. So somebody has been assembling takes into single tracks. Maybe the guys who did the Disney OSTs? But then, I wonder why they'd bother with the cues not used in the OST.

I'd say that was just part of their archive process. The complete film scores were probably assembled from the various takes first, then the Demasters were assembled from that.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'd say that was just part of their archive process. The complete film scores were probably assembled from the various takes first, then the Demasters were assembled from that.

I'd hope so. The edit is obvious in the track I'm talking about.

One weird thing I noticed last year going through the EABF2 files; I noticed that for several of the "unreleased" cues, the edits and spectrograms (plus SBR) are identical to mine. I did a comparison, and every single edit point is exact. In one cue you can even hear part of a MIDI mockup that I had used. I don't want to throw around any accusations here, but I'm at least a little curious if someone there had used portions of my edits, or at the very least if they used the exact same sources that I did. There are a handful of cues though that don't match mine, such as the opening of Blowups, which I believe is a different speed than my previous edit.

1 minute ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

One weird thing I noticed last year going through the EABF2 files; I noticed that for several of the "unreleased" cues, the edits and spectrograms (plus SBR) are identical to mine. I did a comparison, and every single edit point is exact. In one cue you can even hear part of a MIDI mockup that I had used. I don't want to throw around any accusations here, but I'm at least a little curious if someone there had used portions of my edits, or at the very least if they used the exact same sources that I did. There are a handful of cues though that don't match mine, such as the opening of Blowups, which I believe is a different speed than my previous edit.

That is most curious.

The speed of blowups is more akin to the one on my own edit as I sped up the intro after realising it had been artifically slowed, but my edit doesn't combine the two versions.