Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

8 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

That is most curious.

The speed of blowups is more akin to the one on my own edit as I sped up the intro after realising it had been artifically slowed, but my edit doesn't combine the two versions.

After checking just now, turns out I was wrong... their opening of Blowups is identical to mine. What is the name of that file? I want to check the spectrogram as well.

1 minute ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

After checking just now, turns out I was wrong... their opening of Blowups is identical to mine. What is the name of that file? I want to check the spectrogram as well.

SW02_Music_GameModes_SpaceBattles_Lucrehulk_Phase2Complete_01

SW02_Music_GameModes_SpaceBattles_Lucrehulk_Phase3NearComplete_01 is just Blowups.

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought of something: do we know exactly how much of the choir was re-recorded for the ROTS version of Duel of the Fates? Do we know if it was just the section as it is edited in the film, or if they recorded the whole thing? Could there be an entire re-recording of the choir for ROTS that we've only heard a small portion of?

I know that the mixing of the choir in the 2018 remaster is louder - especially in 'Anakin vs. Obi-Wan', probably meaning they had the choir recordings separated, right?

9 hours ago, Arpy said:

I know that the mixing of the choir in the 2018 remaster is louder - especially in 'Anakin vs. Obi-Wan', probably meaning they had the choir recordings separated, right?

Yes, we already knew both the choir and percussion was recorded separately. But my question was about how much of the re-recorded choir they recorded for Duel of the Fates, since only a portion of the full cue appears in ROTS (when Yoda and Palpatine fight). I'm curious if they just recorded the choir for that section, or if they re-recorded the choir for the entirety of DotF.

On 7/9/2020 at 12:04 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I just thought of something: do we know exactly how much of the choir was re-recorded for the ROTS version of Duel of the Fates? Do we know if it was just the section as it is edited in the film, or if they recorded the whole thing? Could there be an entire re-recording of the choir for ROTS that we've only heard a small portion of?

I've wondered about this for a long time.. do we know fore sure the choir was re-recorded? And if so, why? I mean, it sounds pretty much the same as the TPM version to me...

5 minutes ago, oierem said:

I've wondered about this for a long time.. do we know fore sure the choir was re-recorded? And if so, why? I mean, it sounds pretty much the same as the TPM version to me...

Yes. It is on the log as 6M5 Duel of Yoda and Sidious **Choir Only** but it wasn't assigned a particular date.

There are performance and mixing differences. Don't know why Williams wanted it re-recorded.

1 hour ago, Giftheck said:

Yes. It is on the log as 6M5 Duel of Yoda and Sidious **Choir Only** but it wasn't assigned a particular date.

There are performance and mixing differences. Don't know why Williams wanted it re-recorded.

I know it's on the log, but as there wasn't an asigned date, I thought that maybe they didn't re-record it.

So, I'm assuming that the choir was not recorded separately during TPM and they wanted to mix it differently this time around?

Still, I can't hear the differences, and they must be really minor, since it wasn't a rewrite, just a new performance.... (and there were more than one recorded for TMP).

It is curious. Something about the existing choral section must have displeased Williams, or he just wanted a new performance because the choir was there. Who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking, I wonder what the source of this music is. I'm also curious what the reasoning was behind shooting this shot to begin with... George probably originally wanted source music to be playing throughout the scene I'll bet.

6 hours ago, The River (Fal) said:

Almost seems like it was made to fit with the fanfare bit of Flag Parade to me

10 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I was just thinking, I wonder what the source of this music is. I'm also curious what the reasoning was behind shooting this shot to begin with... George probably originally wanted source music to be playing throughout the scene I'll bet.

Hmmm... Never really considered this cue before. It really does matches the rhythm and key of The Flag Parade quite perfectly, which you can just barely hear under the (synth calliope?) source music. Composed specifically for the extended scene on DVD, perhaps, so that it wouldn't be completely jarring to cut to a bunch of Bith musicians? Is "additional music by" listed anywhere on the DVD credits?

Most definitely created to meld with the underlying score, which wasn't written to that cut of the scene. I'm guessing this was just doodled into a keyboard for the extended version.

• 2 months later...

SW Squadrons does seem to have a bit of unreleased music... there was at least one file I've come across that has material that's not been in a video game before (the full ending of Spare Canister Caper from AOTC). There are a ton of files so it's going to take a while to go through all of them.

EDIT: Strange, I noticed some minor SFX in that cue. I compared it to my YouTube edit and they are exactly the same. I noticed something similar in Battlefront 2 last year... it's almost like they're taking files from my channel and just porting them into the game. :eh:

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm working on a project right now and am curious, has anyone ever figured out what 6M2 Sweetner is for AOTC? 

Maybe the drums heard when the monsters enter the arena? Possibly not SFX but actually JW source.

Or maybe the timpani roll that ends the first portion of the cue, before the rest is dialed out? Lucas might have asked JW to improvise a new ending for the first half of the cue during the sessions, if he decided to drop all that music after hearing it. Does anyone know if that timpani roll is tracked?

6m2 is Entrance Of The Monsters for anyone wondering.

EDIT: There's some speculation about the sweetener here. I found this from Datameister:

On 6/7/2011 at 4:20 AM, Datameister said:

Well, the cue sheet in the post you linked to lists more than 90 musicians as playing for that three-measure cue, so it would have been something utilizing pretty much the whole orchestra. IIRC, that timpani roll was just taken from "Dooku vs. Obi-Wan."

Yeah it's definitely not the drums considering it utilizes most of the orchestra. My initial thought is that it could be the orchestra "hit" that is heard throughout the film, but that certainly isn't 3 measures, unless it's just part of the sweetener.

Plus we also still don't know what that Conveyor Belt insert is either.

2 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

What if the cue list had a mistake and it wasn't the full orchestra? it is a sweetener, not an insert, after all.

Could be. However due to it being percussion-only and having a high tempo, I'd be more inclined to believe it might be the Conveyor Belt insert; however that only only lists strings and brass. Very confusing. I'd imagine due to the simplicity that the percussion was improvised, but that's just a guess.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Maybe it didn't get used in the film so we've never heard it

That's the most likely scenario. And due to the short length I question whether it would even be on an official expansion either.

The short stab with horns for when Padme falls into the vat is from the alternate Finale right? Sounds like it to me anyway.

2 minutes ago, Spider-Fal said:

The short stab with horns for when Padme falls into the vat is from the alternate Finale right? Sounds like it to me anyway.

Yeah, that's the general consensus. There's some weird horn melody at the end that doesn't match up with the sheets, but it sounds like it otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...

Just for fun I spent about ~10 minutes completely re-editing the music in the conveyor belt sequence from scratch, only using the two cues that were originally intended to be used, just to see how it could have sounded had they not chopped it up so much. It's still not great due to the sequence itself being heavily re-edited and reshot, but in my opinion it's much better than what we got in the film.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RXE3qL7UHb5Xd_737a09TURXS-ktj_ua/view?usp=sharing

• 2 years later...
On 11/08/2013 at 8:03 PM, dylan345 said:

Dude, I already answered that question for you with proof from a two hour interview I did with Conrad Pope. The sheet music is the film version and original, the version on the soundtrack, according to Pope, is most likely an edit as he was almost positive there were no revisions, inserts or concert versions of that cue.

Does anyone know if this interview is available somewhere to read/listen to?

On 20/11/2020 at 2:57 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Just for fun I spent about ~10 minutes completely re-editing the music in the conveyor belt sequence from scratch, only using the two cues that were originally intended to be used, just to see how it could have sounded had they not chopped it up so much. It's still not great due to the sequence itself being heavily re-edited and reshot, but in my opinion it's much better than what we got in the film.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RXE3qL7UHb5Xd_737a09TURXS-ktj_ua/view?usp=sharing

Could you possibly reup this link? It seems to be dead now and I'd like to see how the scene would play with the originally intended score.

Part of it was found in The Force Unleashed. Some of it, from 4:10, is definitely still DVD rip, you can still faintly hear the machines in the background.

• 9 months later...
19 hours ago, Giftheck said:

It has been a while since anything has been posted to this thread. May I present to you: Duel Of The Fates, without choir

This was done by using LALAL.AI's new V4 Orion model, and then using what we had from before to fix a few spots. It's not perfect, but it's actually not that bad. We are not far off being able to just do these sorts of things for ourselves without having to rely on game rips at all. If they do a V5 model, I expect it'll be even better.

Nice work!  This really showcases how good this composition is, even just as a purely orchestral piece.

The only thing that really betrays the fact that this was written to accompany a choir is 3:06-3:20, when the orchestra gives way to the choir solo; this is how I handled this in my own fanedits:

I took the trumpet bit at 2:02 and copied it over 3:05 to remove the sustained horns, and then put 3:23 immediately after.  I used the Timpani roll from 3:10-3:17 to smooth over the transition and get the listener to expect the skip.

This is my new edit:

The same edit with the 2:02 trumpet bit, but now it overlaps with 3:32 instead.  3:34 is looped to better preserve the feel of the original pacing.  You get less of the composition, sure, but with this you're left with a much more tasteful reduction of the piece in its place.

(Of course, this isn't to say that I want this bit of the instrumental to be left off of MM's eventual expansion; I think it sounds better edited like this, but it's far, far more important for an expansion to preserve the cue as it was recorded and let the faneditors worry about making it flow more nicely)

(On the other hand, if an edit like this is the only way Williams would approve the track, and it's either the edit or nothing, I'll gladly take the edit.)

15 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Nice work!  This really showcases how good this composition is, even just as a purely orchestral piece.

The only thing that really betrays the fact that this was written to accompany a choir is 3:06-3:20, when the orchestra gives way to the choir solo; this is how I handled this in my own fanedits:

I took the trumpet bit at 2:02 and copied it over 3:05 to remove the sustained horns, and then put 3:23 immediately after.  I used the Timpani roll from 3:10-3:17 to smooth over the transition and get the listener to expect the skip.

This is my new edit:

The same edit with the 2:02 trumpet bit, but now it overlaps with 3:32 instead.  3:34 is looped to better preserve the feel of the original pacing.  You get less of the composition, sure, but with this you're left with a much more tasteful reduction of the piece in its place.

(Of course, this isn't to say that I want this bit of the instrumental to be left off of MM's eventual expansion; I think it sounds better edited like this, but it's far, far more important for an expansion to preserve the cue as it was recorded and let the faneditors worry about making it flow more nicely)

(On the other hand, if an edit like this is the only way Williams would approve the track, and it's either the edit or nothing, I'll gladly take the edit.)

Given Williams recorded a brass version of the opening solo, I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same for the second solo as well - it does appear in concerts where Duel of the Fates is performed without a choir. Otherwise, I think I agree: I'd rather an edit like this than for it to not be included at all. Editors like me can always just drop the vocals of the End Credits version in LALAL.AI and create our own edit if we don't like it.

Given Williams recorded a brass version of the opening solo, I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same for the second solo as well - it does appear in concerts where Duel of the Fates is performed without a choir.

That would be so amazing if that were the case...  Even if the leaked cue list makes it a little unlikely.

Even following enderdrag's theory that the brass opening really is the End Credits Insert, there only being one of them listed hurts the possibility that a second brass insert was recorded, unless the two were recorded together.

Otherwise, I think I agree: I'd rather an edit like this than for it to not be included at all. Editors like me can always just drop the vocals of the End Credits version in LALAL.AI and create our own edit if we don't like it.

Indeed! :D

7 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Even following enderdrag's theory that the brass opening really is the End Credits Insert, there only being one of them listed hurts the possibility that a second brass insert was recorded, unless the two were recorded together.

7M3 End Credits Insert is the traditional end credits bit that precedes DOTF in the final movie.

I don't think it's known for certain exactly what the orchestral opening is, although it was very likely an insert. No sheet music has leaked publicly to my knowledge though

44 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

7M3 End Credits Insert is the traditional end credits bit that precedes DOTF in the final movie.

I don't think it's known for certain exactly what the orchestral opening is, although it was very likely an insert. No sheet music has leaked publicly to my knowledge though

I thought that at first, too, but then I realized the traditional End Credits bit is probably more likely the Throne Room (End Credits) 1:24 cue that's listed right before 1m2 Main Title.  (Which makes sense, since it's marked as being from the published suite, and End Credits Insert isn't)

(So...  I guess it wasn't your theory...  it was mine?!)

• 1 month later...

Listening to the Demasters just to hear the differences in editing for when I prepared the OST edits of my own 'LaLaLand-style' edits, and the realisation has just hit me: these suffer the same problems as the OT Anthology. A lot of wrong takes and bad transitions. Were these released in Atmos like the OT? And were they fixed in the same way? I know TESB had issues with its Demaster but a lot of those were rectified for the Atmos release.