Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

In regards to The Big Army section, you're referring to those percussion hits that go into the reprise of Duel of the fates before the Anakin Takes Off segment, right? It's in Music6a. BUT it does contain ambient noise as well so it's unusable.

Ya that's the piece I'm talking about.

Separate post...

BTW John and I were were right about "Introducing Jar Jar" that it starts at about the 8 second mark from OST Track 4 with the french horn. The documentary for "This Is A Creature Film" on the TPM DVD plays it with the clean opening. All though I think that feature is in 2.0 and not surround sound so it would be impossible to rip from the DVD.

All though I think that feature is in 2.0 and not surround sound so it would be impossible to rip from the DVD.

Nothing is impossible, proof: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HdxTCLQxIDQ

give me the timing and I should be able to get it.

I'm decompressing those two TPMG files now just to check (I didn't have the decompressed to begin with because I thought they were the same as the album)

EDIT: They're not the exact take used on the album and yet they preserve the album recording. Checking against the Insider's Guide, it's not the same there either, although the IG is the same as the UE. I think it's just a reprisal.

All though I think that feature is in 2.0 and not surround sound so it would be impossible to rip from the DVD.

It starts around the 4:00 mark of the "This Is A Creature Film" feature on Disc 2 of TPM DVD set.

It starts around the 4:00 mark of the "This Is A Creature Film" feature on Disc 2 of TPM DVD set.

Its only 3:33 minutes long...

• 5 weeks later...

In regards to The Big Army section, you're referring to those percussion hits that go into the reprise of Duel of the fates before the Anakin Takes Off segment, right? It's in Music6a. BUT it does contain ambient noise as well so it's unusable.

Ya that's the piece I'm talking about.

Separate post...

BTW John and I were were right about "Introducing Jar Jar" that it starts at about the 8 second mark from OST Track 4 with the french horn. The documentary for "This Is A Creature Film" on the TPM DVD plays it with the clean opening. All though I think that feature is in 2.0 and not surround sound so it would be impossible to rip from the DVD.

That would mean the TPM game got it wrong as well (and that is a single take, and not a 'constructed' take).

To add a bit to the discussion, I think that what I dub as 3M01 (the 'Title Unknown' prior to Talk of Podracing on the partial cue list) may be the Source Music. I heard quite a few noticeable edits on the UE of the source music - obvious artificial fade-ins, reverbed endings etc.

On yet another unrelated note, here are my edits to Droid Fight and Take To Your Ships, and my version of Dooku vs Obi-Wan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9JLtjXDeDo

Since I cannot post multiple videos, I'm going to have to split my post up, so in advance, I apologise for the double-posting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDZCnQozJ3Y

Sorry, but I'm going to have to wait until somebody else posts before I can post the last video.

You can't double post either - if you post within 2 hours of your previous post and nobody else posted in between, then your posts are auto-merged

You can't double post either - if you post within 2 hours of your previous post and nobody else posted in between, then your posts are auto-merged

Ah, I think I misunderstood - it seems that two media files are allowed. Good to know, though.

So, with that, here's the last video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw1808wocIc

I think, according to what I have heard in Alexander's version minus mockups and from I have heard on the grapevine, that is the correct order, yes?

That's actually not bad. It eliminates the majority of the SFX inherent to the DVD rear channels, but I can clearly hear Obi-Wan's vocal echo there, as well as Anakin saying "He's like my father!" (though not as much as the DVD admittedly)

The quality is pretty good too. Actually very good. But it still sounds reverby as hell. Probably because they used the 5.1 mix of the music. It sounds more like the War of the Worlds dvd now.

I think Smee's Funeral is my favorite track from AOTC. I did my best to amp it up as much as i could without clipping using the envelope tool from Audacity. The music is still as quiet as before.

I heard that the music in Empire and Jedi sounds significantly better than the 1997 SE CDs. Any passages that can be ripped without sound effects or dialogue could be used to improve on those releases.

We don't actually know what the edit looked like. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few extra bits that got cut out of the film.

I just came up with an... interesting theory. I am starting to believe that Duel of the Fates and Anakin's Theme are all one cue. In the album and in the Musical Journey versions of DOTF you can hear that the ending is reverbed instead of fading naturally. The end credits cue contains the natural 'ending' note of that (the solo strings note that appears after the final five notes of Duel of the Fates). That's not all - both the Galaxies version and the OST version of Anakin's Theme have fade-ins. I maximized the volume of the album opening and it turns out that the album opening has a small portion of the reverb from the final chord of Duel of the Fates. There is also anotehr supporting piece in the concert music version - the actual ending is omitted in favour of a passage on page 23 of the sheet music version.

Plus, an elaboration on what I was saying here:

On a different note, how do you guys decide which material has precedence over each other? For me, it's this:

Musical Journey DVD > OST Album > Ultime Edition (Phantom Menace only) > Force Unleashed II > Force Unleashed >Battlefront II > Other games

I'm going on the correct takes over the best quality material. Admittedly, I forgot about Starfighter here though.

You maybe right about that. I always thought that the OST for "Anakin's Theme" sounded like it faded in at the beginning. Does the part from the transition of "DOTF" and "Anakin's Theme" in the End Credits right or is it wrong as you suggest?

Well, I think the TPM end credits consist of two cues - the actual End Credits reprise that's based on the End Credits of the Throne Room Suite as heard in the album, with Duel of the Fates and Anakin's Theme making up the second cue. So it'd be "End Credits" into "End Credits II" or something like that.

The only TPM sheet music I have seen was for "Droid Fight/Battle" and it was at Star Wars in Concert.....

Which one? Droid Fight, or Droid Battle? (Droid Battle appears on track 5 of the OST, in case you got mixed up, Droid Fight doesn't appear on the OST)

Can anybody remember which video game had the fragmentary list of cues from The Phantom Menace? I'd like to check it out for myself.

I think Starfighter and Galactic Battlegrounds. The lists on Wikipedia are inaccurate and have been embellished with titles that are not accurate.

I've recently changed the cue list on Wikipedia to reflect the cues we know about (Introducing Jar-Jar, Anakin Defeats Sebulba, The Chosen One, Droid Battle and Duel Continues are the only ones we know for sure are correct on that list, right?)

I'll look into it.

Just had a quick look - all are valid titles on the Wikipedia list, with the exceptions of Talk of Podracing and Courtyard Crossfire.

It's Working, Forest Mist, I'm a Pilot You Know, Stealing Food, Promoting Jar Jar, With Boss Nass, Battle Part II C, String Cluster and Drums Insert are missing.

Just had a quick look - all are valid titles on the Wikipedia list, with the exceptions of Talk of Podracing and Courtyard Crossfire.

It's Working, Forest Mist, I'm a Pilot You Know, Promoting Jar Jar, With Boss Nass and Drums Insert are missing.

Do we know the slate numbers for these and to which tracks in the UE these correspond to? And what is "Courtyard Crossfire" actually called?

If I'm not mistaken, "The Big Army" contains three separate sections. It is mixed straight on the end chord of Take To Your Ships, contains the Duel Begins and Anakin Takes Off sections and the end chord goes directly into Droid Battle. Of course, the last part is speculation on my part.

It's Working, Forest Mist, I'm a Pilot You Know, Promoting Jar Jar, With Boss Nass and Drums Insert are missing.

Do you have a complete cue list for the Phantom Menace? If so why not just post it?

Edit: "With Boss Nass"? Hmmm that could mean that "The Gungans" is two cues and not one. Would probably be "The Gungans" which would end around the 34 second mark or so on track 11 disc 2 of the U.E. then the rest of the cue could be "With Boss Nass".

"I'm A Pilot You Know" would be "Padmé Meets Anakin"

Double Edit: "Promoting Jar Jar" I figured would end exactly how it does in the Battlefront 2 file "war_plans". Of course the cue is incomplete in the BF 2 file but you can complete it thanks to the U.E. Then "War Plans" would be 2:31 to the end from track 12 of Disc 2 from the U.E.

Triple Edit: I also don't see "The Duel (Part 2)" / Crash Landing" which was identified by Jesse Harlin. It's file sqgripping1 from The Phantom Menace computer game. I take that back I do see it but you need to add "Crash Landing" to 6M7p2 Duel Continues since it's one cue.

If "Courtyard Crossfire" is not right ,then it is just called "Laser Fight March"?

Do you have a complete cue list for the Phantom Menace? If so why not just post it?

I bring you to this post:

Can anybody remember which video game had the fragmentary list of cues from The Phantom Menace? I'd like to check it out for myself.

I think Starfighter and Galactic Battlegrounds. The lists on Wikipedia are inaccurate and have been embellished with titles that are not accurate.

I don't think he has a complete cue list. If he did, he might have posted it by now rather than dropping hints that things are incorrect. I'm checking into it now.

Edit: "With Boss Nass"? Hmmm that could mean that "The Gungans" is two cues and not one. Would probably be "The Gungans" which would end around the 34 second mark or so on track 11 disc 2 of the U.E. then the rest of the cue could be "With Boss Nass".

Actually, that might just be correct. TPM Game file "sqgarden" contains the cue from the 34 second mark on the UE, but without the chord from before that. Sadly, unusable as it's mired in garden SFX. But I do believe this is correct.

"I'm A Pilot You Know" would be "Padmé Meets Anakin"

Actually, I believe it's what we know as "Talk of Podracing" because that's the scene where Anakin utters that line.

Double Edit: "Promoting Jar Jar" I figured would end exactly how it does in the Battlefront 2 file "war_plans". Of course the cue is incomplete in the BF 2 file but you can complete it thanks to the U.E. Then "War Plans" would be 2:31 to the end from track 12 of Disc 2 from the U.E.
Triple Edit: I also don't see "The Duel (Part 2)" / Crash Landing" which was identified by Jesse Harlin. It's file sqgripping1 from The Phantom Menace computer game. I take that back I do see it but you need to add "Crash Landing" to 6M7p2 Duel Continues since it's one cue.

I recall you saying Harlin identified that as 6M07p2 Duel Continues. Jim Ware hasn't disputed that either.

If "Courtyard Crossfire" is not right ,then it is just called "Laser Fight March"?

I don't know of this one yet. It's been labelled as "Courtyard Crossfire", and at one time "Moving Forward" too. It might go by another name, but yes, it is possible it is Laser Fight March. Which would mean one of two things: that the one we call that name now is actually part of the cue (which means that horn note is much, much longer than we have been editing into our sets) or that it too goes by another name.

Actually, I believe it's what we know as "Talk of Podracing" because that's the scene where Anakin utters that line.

I think I'm right. Go back and watch TPM when Padmé and Anakin first meet in Watto's shop. He does specifically say, "I'm a pilot you know".

I think I'm right. Go back and watch TPM when Padmé and Anakin first meet in Watto's shop. He does specifically say, "I'm a pilot you know".

Ah, yes. If I remember, the full line was, "I'm a pilot, you know, and some day, I'm gonna fly away from this place." Forgive me, I haven't actually watched the film in quite some time.

EDIT: The DOTF measures at the beginning of "Qui-Gon's Noble End" on the album might be an insert for the End Credits should Lucas not want the choral (there was a documentary where Lucas and Williams were discussing this).

Ah, yes. If I remember, the full line was, "I'm a pilot, you know, and some day, I'm gonna fly away from this place." Forgive me, I haven't actually watched the film in quite some time.

All good. :) I just happened to remember because I watched the blu-ray rip of the film the other day.

EDIT: The DOTF measures at the beginning of "Qui-Gon's Noble End" on the album might be an insert for the End Credits should Lucas not want the choral (there was a documentary where Lucas and Williams were discussing this).

That's a good possibility and I remember that documentary too.