Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

Seems that TOR will be released 20th December for the US and 22nd for the EU. Hopefully we got a ton of unreleased Prequel music in it. I certainly hope they include the missing Get 'em, R-2 section.

Jason Graves told me in an email that there is over 5 hours of ORIGINAL music in the game. I did ask if any clean previously unreleased Prequel music made it in the game. He said he didn't believe so but we'll just have to wait and find out in December. I too hope there is more clean AOTC and ROTS music but at the same time I'm sort of not expecting it after what Jason told me.

Yeah, I heard about the original stuff when I first ripped the TFU2 promo from the tracksounds website (apparently, TOR and TFU2 were done simultaneously). And as for unreleased music, I doubt anybody would tell us what was in the game.

However, what happens after TOR is anybody's guess. If TOR is a success, 2012 might be a good time to announce sequels to games that have been in waiting for some time, and with that comes the hope of new, unreleased Prequel material.

That ship will never, ever sail. The recent lack of anything musical to go with the Blu-Ray release just compounds that. They're just not interested at all in complete scores.

Does anybody know the specific file in GB and Starfighter that the cue list is allegedly in?

It's in the back of the printed manual. The cues appear (roughly) in the order in which they're used in the music files.

That ship will never, ever sail. The recent lack of anything musical to go with the Blu-Ray release just compounds that. They're just not interested at all in complete scores.

That I am not so sure of. Remember we might be getting all 6 films (dependent on Phantom Menace's box-office success) in theaters again. So I would never say never...you just never really know.

definately the TMP 3d -release should be accompained with a propperly-mattessino-like soundtrack release.

Eh, Matessino already got to work on The Motion Picture :P

ggctuk, in your edit you have this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK3J-HjdGgc is that truly an unused piece of music, a practice recording, or material edited together?

It's heard in video games (the first being the official TPM game, but here it was edited so that the first ten or so seconds were this piece before switching to the album). It also does not match any recording of the Throne Room Suite's End Credits, and it is definitely an LSO recording. It's most likely a practice recording - I think Williams did something similar in ROTS with Leia's Theme.

It's a re-recording of the ANH end credits.

Not quite. It's actually a recording of the End Credits portion of the long-version Throne Room suite.

ggctuk, in your edit you have this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK3J-HjdGgc is that truly an unused piece of music, a practice recording, or material edited together?

It's heard in video games (the first being the official TPM game, but here it was edited so that the first ten or so seconds were this piece before switching to the album). It also does not match any recording of the Throne Room Suite's End Credits, and it is definitely an LSO recording. It's most likely a practice recording - I think Williams did something similar in ROTS with Leia's Theme.

Ok, I thought pretty much the same thing, I asked because a youtube commenter thought I was incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a quick look - all are valid titles on the Wikipedia list, with the exceptions of Talk of Podracing and Courtyard Crossfire.

It's Working, Forest Mist, I'm a Pilot You Know, Stealing Food, Promoting Jar Jar, With Boss Nass, Battle Part II C, String Cluster and Drums Insert are missing.

Hey, when did you add more titles? I assume "String Cluster" is the tremolo swell, so it's about time we knew the title of it. "Battle Part II C" would be what we call Courtyard Crossfire, am I correct? Or is Laser Fight March what we called Courtyard Crossfire, and Battle Part II C the bit that follows it before Take To Your Ships?

Some of these titles wouldn't have appeared in the manuals though (I have heard all the ingame audio for both games) so I wonder how you know these titles.

Jim Ware, if you know the complete cue list, could you please post it here in complete form please instead of bits and pieces at a time. Thank you.

Jim Ware, if you know the complete cue list, could you please post it here in complete form please instead of bits and pieces at a time. Thank you.

I concur. It's clear when you know titles of cues that weren't used in the games that you know the cue lists. What harm can it do to have that knowledge after waiting 12 years for it?

I wasn't aware my reply was being that. Rude and confrontational is what goes on in the lame 'trade' threads over at a certain forum we all know about.

Rewatching AOTC on blu-ray last week, it occurred to me that I didn't hear any music in the tracked sections of the Geonosis battles that isn't available in some form in one of the video games or on TPM UE, which leads to me think there probably isn't much from the Battle of Naboo that remains completely unreleased....any thoughts?

Most of the tracked TPM cues in both AOTC and ROTS are from John Williams' constructed takes and not the early mixes featured in most video games. The only different cue there is AOTC's use of "Escape from Naboo" which uses the percussive version. AOTC does contain a piece of Race Begins that we're missing - the transition between the first brass note and the snare roll that is obscured in the album version and shotened in the UE.

Good to know - but at least there isn't any evidence of major musical set-pieces that are still "in the vault", so to speak. Meaning all of our various constructions of TPM are probably more or less complete...

We won't know for sure unless we get the sheet music. However, I am inclined to agree with you that we practically have everything for The Phantom Menace. The only piece we don't know where in the score it goes is that tremolo swell from the original TPM computer game.

Good to know - but at least there isn't any evidence of major musical set-pieces that are still "in the vault", so to speak. Meaning all of our various constructions of TPM are probably more or less complete...

We won't know for sure unless we get the sheet music. However, I am inclined to agree with you that we practically have everything for The Phantom Menace. The only piece we don't know where in the score it goes is that tremolo swell from the original TPM computer game.

We at least know the name now - "String Cluster". See Jim Ware's post (he's changed it since to include a couple of other cue names). I suspect it possibly belongs in the Battle of Naboo. He has not given us slate numbers though so I couldn't be certain.

@elvisjones - we're only missing End Credits Part 2 in its sans-choir form. We have the first minute of it, a small section from the middle of it, and obviously the Anakin's Theme part of it.

Jim Ware, if you know the complete cue list, could you please post it here in complete form instead of bits and pieces at a time. Thank you.

Jim Ware, if you know the complete cue list, could you please post it here in complete form instead of bits and pieces at a time. Thank you.

I second that and Jason was asking nicely, Henry.

It's Working, Forest Mist, I'm a Pilot You Know, Stealing Food, Promoting Jar Jar, With Boss Nass, Battle Part II C, String Cluster and Drums Insert are missing.

"I'm A Pilot You Know"

- This is obviously "Padmé Meets Anakin".

"Stealing Food"

-This would be "Run-In With Sebulba".

"With Boss Nass"

-This is the cue after "Back To Naboo" and before "Promoting Jar Jar / War Plans". Obi-Wan has the clean ending for "Back To Naboo" (or whatever it's called), which is file l09_m_sighting1. Also "With Boss Nass", Battlefront 2 has a good mostly clean opening for that cue which is from the original rips would be "senate_gungans".

"Battle Part II C"

-Not entirely sure what this is, all though I have a funny feeling it maybe the latter half of "The Big Army", the piece where Anakin takes off after blasting the Destroyer Droids.

Thanks Jason. :) Now that I think about it, I think "Battle Part II C" maybe "Courtyard Crossfire". ggtuck pointed out that we have a clean ending for that thanks to Jedi Power Battles. Jedi Power Battles also has the clean opening for "Laser Fight March".

I feel like we're getting close to the end of a 12 year mystery. it's exciting!

Unfortunately without slate numbers, its hard to know the order of some things, plus if the things in question were for the first cut of the film or a later cut, etc.

I feel like we're getting close to the end of a 12 year mystery. it's exciting!

Unfortunately without slate numbers, its hard to know the order of some things, plus if the things in question were for the first cut of the film or a later cut, etc.

I think for the most part the U.E. got the order right. Grant we know that the Battle Of Naboo (and good portion of the pod race) pieces were completely fucked up but that was easy to correct.

BTW I noticed another loop from the "Ultimate Edition" disc. Track 4 of Disc 1 from 00:00:33:08-00:00:37:02 they did loop that portion. If you really pay attention to it you can hear it looped.

I also hate how the U.E. has certain notes like a french horn or trumpet that they looped twice briefly to make it seem longer. You can hear it towards the latter part of Track 4 of Disc 1.

I also hate how the U.E. has certain notes like a french horn or trumpet that they looped twice briefly to make it seem longer. You can hear it towards the latter part of Track 4 of Disc 1.

Looping is better than tracking though ;)

I was thinking about something. I think "Talk Of Podracing" maybe called "Dinner Talk". I could see that cue being called that since it was pretty obvious they were having dinner during that sequence.

Okay with the list of the cue names Jim Ware gave us I'll post what I think is mostly the correct list below. The ones with question marks I'm not entirely sure if they would be the correct titles or not. Hopefully Jim Ware can confirm this, or at least post what the correct names are for the ones I have question marks by.

20th Century Fox Fanfare

Star Wars Main Title

The Arrival

Gas Leak

Droid Fight

Queen Amidala

The Droid Invasion

Introducing Jar Jar

Bubble World

Gone Fishin'

Darth Sidious

Tentacles

Theed Palace Arrival

You're Under Arrest

Escape From Naboo

Intro Darth Maul

Arrival At Tatooine

I'm A Pilot You Know

Stealing Food

Introducing Threepio

Running Out Of Time

Dinner Talk(?)

Watto's Deal

Kids At Play

It's Working

The Sith Spacecraft

Roll Of The Die

The Flag Parade

Jabba Introduction / Start Your Engines

The Race Begins

The Podrace(?)

Anakin Defeats Sebulba

Anakin's Great Victory

Anakin Is Free

Darth and Qui-Gon

Corsucant Arrival

The Queen and Palpatine

High Council Meeting

The Senate

Anakin's Test

The Chosen One

Moving Forward(?)

Back To Naboo(?)

The Gungans

With Boss Nass

Promoting Jar Jar

War Plans

Forest Mist

Drums Insert

The Armies Face Off

Battle Part II

Laser Fight March

Get To Your Ships

The Big Army

The Droid Battle

Up The Wire

The Great Duel

The Great Duel (Part 2) / Crash Landing

Qui-Gon's Noble End

Battleship Destroyed

Death Of Darth Maul

A Jedi He Will Be(?)

Qui-Gon's Funeral

Augie's Great Municipal Band

End Credits

End Credits Part II

I think that's pretty accurate, with the exception of missing out "String Cluster" but I assume that's since you don't actually know where it goes.