Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

Question

Was the Trade Federation theme originally meant for the scene in AOTC where Obi-Wan views the Clonetroopers marching? I have to ask because it's not the obvious choice of music I would think they'd have come up with for the audience seeing the Clones (which are very different from Droids) for the first time in the saga. We know they made an alternate take for the second time we see a wide shot of the clones marching about at the end of the film using the Imperial March, so was there some cue or motif that Williams originally had planned for this scene/these scenes that Lucas just didn't like?

Yup, it was meant to go there. Who knows if it was Williams idea or Lucas's, but it was the only thing written for that scene.

Question

Was the Trade Federation theme originally meant for the scene in AOTC where Obi-Wan views the Clonetroopers marching? I have to ask because it's not the obvious choice of music I would think they'd have come up with for the audience seeing the Clones (which are very different from Droids) for the first time in the saga. We know they made an alternate take for the second time we see a wide shot of the clones marching about at the end of the film using the Imperial March, so was there some cue or motif that Williams originally had planned for this scene/these scenes that Lucas just didn't like?

Yes it's a fanfaric piece that does not use the Imperial March . There was a mock up of it on you Tube .And it's not the Trade Federation march either

WAV does not have to be lossless, no. It can be any format you want. Most of the time they are 16bit, 44,100hkz format like CDS are, but they don't have to be.

They're wwise wave files, not normal wave files.

He was talking about the reveal of the clone trooper army on Kamino, not at the end of the film

Ah, I thought the big Trade Federation statement was meant for when Obi Wan lands on Geonosis and sees the Trade Federation spaceships in the ground

Ah, I thought the big Trade Federation statement was meant for when Obi Wan lands on Geonosis and sees the Trade Federation spaceships in the ground

EHhh... with the way its in the final cut, I don't see that statement fitting the scene AT ALL.

I tried that program you suggested Pieter and it's a bit too complicated for me. It won't take me long to delete the words "DEADBEEF" from the files. BTW the grand total for the beta rip files is 1,245.

Trent, don't rename 1400 files one at a time, that's insane.

Just download Advanced Renamer from here:

http://www.advancedrenamer.com/

Drag all the files into it, then click Add Method, then Replace, then type DEADBEEF_ in the top box. Then click Start Batch. Voila, it will rename all 1400 files for you in one click.

captureyh.jpg

One click and you're done!

So it's about 130 more files? Hopefully not all original TOR music...

With a bit of luck.

It doesn't make sense that they'd inlcude some cues with one fragment, or skip one fragment from a cue, so I hope these extra music files contain them.

For all we know, some of the music files could also be different.

BTW. I know you guys have been focusing on UNRELEASED music, and have been combining that with OST tracks to make complete scores.

But what about music that WAS on the OST? Has anyone compared those files to their OST counterparts? Because, for example, the AOTC OST is INCREDIBLY HISSY.... maybe the game files contain non-hissy versions of the same music?

We'll see.

BTW. I know you guys have been focusing on UNRELEASED music, and have been combining that with OST tracks to make complete scores.

But what about music that WAS on teh OST? Has anyone compared those files to their OST counterparts? Because, for example, the AOTC OST is INCREDIBLY HISSY.... maybe the game files contain non-hissy versions of the same music?

Yes indeed they do.

EHhh... with the way its in the final cut, I don't see that statement fitting the scene AT ALL.

Though when you read the final script, Scene 111 reads like this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXTERIOR GEONOSIS, ROCK FACE TRAIL - NIGHT

OBI-WAN arrives at the head of the trail. Far below, a flat plain stretches into the distance. He steps, peering into the darkness, where strange shapes loom indistinctly.

OBI-WAN takes a pair of electronic binoculars from his belt and puts them to his eyes. He sees a cluster of great towers like fantastic stalagmites rise from the plain below.

SLOW PAN with the binoculars, and suddenly a line of Battle Starships come into view. OBI-WAN touches his viewfinder. Between fifty and a hundred Federation Starships are in neat rows. Some are on platforms that are carrying the Starships down to an underground facility. Other platforms are rising to the surface. They carry THOUSANDS of BATTLE DROIDS that step off and file into waiting ships. A fully loaded Starship takes off. OBI-WAN swings the binoculars upward, to see more Trade Federation Starships.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

obi-wan_s_landing_spot02.jpg

That music would fit a scene like that perfectly. It takes place just before he enters the droid factory.

So, here's a breakdown of where we can find AOTC music (bear in mind I think I missed stuff out, please feel free to correct me):

• 1M1 Main Title - TPM Album track 01, clean ending in various games
  • 1M2 The Arrival at Coruscant - TOR files
  • 1M3 Thwarted Attempt - TOR files, TFU files, partially unreleased (?)
  • 1M4 The Meeting of Anakin and Padme - unreleased
  • 1M5 She Hardly Recognized Me - TOR files
  • 1M6 Zam's Dirty Trick - OST Track 03, TOR files, partially unreleased
  • 1M7A Zam's Chase Pt. 1 OST Track 03, TOR files for clean ending, Bounty Hunter files for missing section
  • 1M7B Zam in Pursuit - OST Track 03, TFU2 files for clean opening and ending
  • 2M1 Zam is Eliminated - OST track 03, BF2 files, TOR files
  • 2M2 Palpatine's Plotting - TOR files, partially unreleased
  • 2M3 Departure - OST Track 05
  • 2M5 The Library Scene - TFU files, TOR files
  • 2M6 Lunch and the Younglings - OST track 04
  • 2M7 Approaching Naboo Palace - TOR files
  • 3M1 Finding Kamino - TOR files, OST track 01
  • 3M1 Insert [untitled] - unreleased
  • 3M2 Visiting the Prime Minister - TOR files
  • 3M3 The First Kiss - TOR files
  • 3M4 Interior Tipoca City - OST Track 09
  • 3M5 The Meadow Scene - ?
  • 3M5 R The Meadow Scene - OST track 08
  • 3M6 The Meeting With Fett - TOR files
  • 3M7 The Dinner Scene - TOR files (somehow I missed this one out of my edit at the time of typing)
  • 3M8 Rainy Ramp and Anakin's Nightmare - TOR files, partially unreleased
  • 3M9 [untitled] - Not Recorded
  • 4M1 The Jango Fett Fight - OST track 07
  • 4M2 Watto Describes Mothers Fate - TOR files
  • 4M3 The Spare Canister Caper - OST track 09, TOR files, partially unreleased
  • 4M4 The Arrival at Tatooine - OST track 10, clean ending unreleased
  • 4M5 Obi-Wan Eavesdropping - clean opening unreleased, OST track 10
  • 4M6 Rescuing Mother - OST track 11, TOR files (for clean ending)
  • 4M7 Exacting Revenge - TOR files (clean opening), OST track 11, clean ending unreleased
  • 5M1A Carrying Mother Home - OST track 11, TOR files (for clean opening)
  • 5M1B Anakin Changes - TOR files, partially unreleased, TFU files, TFU2 files
  • 5M2 Smee's Funeral - TOR files, BF2 files for clean ending
  • 5M3 The Commerce Guild Prepares For War - TOR files
  • 5M4 [untitled] - Not Recorded
  • 5M5 Finding the Conveyor Belt OST Track 14, partially unreleased
  • 5M6 The Conveyor Belt - OST Track 14, TFU files, TOR files, partially unreleased.
  • 5M6 Insert - ?
  • 5M7 The Senate Scene - TOR files, partially unreleased
  • 6M1 Love Pledge - OST Track 12
  • 6M2 Entrance of the Monsters - OST Track 12, ending unreleased
  • 6M2 Sweetner - ?
  • 6M3 [untitled] - Not Recorded
  • 6M4 [untitled] - Not Recorded
  • 6M5 Padme Falls - TOR files, OST Track 12, partially unreleased.
  • 6M5 Insert - OST track 12, or TOR files for alternate
  • 7M1 Dooku vs. Obi-Wan TOR files, partially unreleased
  • 7M2 Yoda Strikes Back TOR files
  • 7M3 Finale - OST Track 13, TOR files, BF2 (clean ending), ATS music video/single, partially unreleased.
  • 7M3 Insert - OST Track 13
  • End Credits - LEGO Star Wars 3 (Clean opening), OST Track 13, TPM Album track 17
  • EC "Updated Gelb Version" - OST Track 02

3M1 Insert [untitled] - unreleased

That can be found clean on a DVD menu or a game file, IIRC

3M5 The Meadow Scene - ?
3M5 R The Meadow Scene - OST track 08

The original version as written was NEVER recorded. Before recording, they added the 3m5 Insert into 3m5 and called it 3m5R. We're not missing anything.

6M5 Insert - OST track 12, or TOR files for alternate

There's no such thing as an alternate version of that insert.

EC "Updated Gelb Version" - OST Track 02

Not quite. "Across The Stars" is an edit, taking material from End Credit, End Credit (CD Version), and End Credit (Updated Gelb Version).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OBI-WAN arrives at the head of the trail. Far below, a flat plain stretches into the distance. He steps, peering into the darkness, where strange shapes loom indistinctly.

OBI-WAN takes a pair of electronic binoculars from his belt and puts them to his eyes. He sees a cluster of great towers like fantastic stalagmites rise from the plain below.

SLOW PAN with the binoculars, and suddenly a line of Battle Starships come into view. OBI-WAN touches his viewfinder. Between fifty and a hundred Federation Starships are in neat rows. Some are on platforms that are carrying the Starships down to an underground facility. Other platforms are rising to the surface. They carry THOUSANDS of BATTLE DROIDS that step off and file into waiting ships. A fully loaded Starship takes off. OBI-WAN swings the binoculars upward, to see more Trade Federation Starships.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That music would fit a scene like that perfectly. It takes place just before he enters the droid factory.

in the comic adaptation, the droids ships are in the asteroid belt and obi wan see there. It could make sense there too.

in the comic adaptation, the droids ships are in the asteroid belt and obi wan see there. It could make sense there too.

It's written for the Clones reveal.

3M5 The Meadow Scene - ?
3M5 R The Meadow Scene - OST track 08

The original version as written was NEVER recorded. Before recording, they added the 3m5 Insert into 3m5 and called it 3m5R. We're not missing anything.

Thanks.

6M5 Insert - OST track 12, or TOR files for alternate

There's no such thing as an alternate version of that insert.

The version in the TOR files sounds completely different to the OST version. I would wager that it's just a different recording.

So, here's a breakdown of where we can find AOTC music (bear in mind I think I missed stuff out, please feel free to correct me):

• 1M7A Zam's Chase Pt. 1 OST Track 03, TOR files for clean ending, Bounty Hunter files for missing section
  • 3M7 The Dinner Scene - TOR files (somehow I missed this one out of my edit at the time of typing)
  • 4M7 Exacting Revenge - TOR files (clean opening), OST track 11, clean ending unreleased
  • 5M6 The Conveyor Belt - OST Track 14, TFU files, TOR files, partially unreleased.
  • 5M6 Insert - ?
  • 6M2 Sweetner - ?
  • 7M3 Finale - OST Track 13, TOR files, BF2 (clean ending), ATS music video/single, partially unreleased.
  • End Credits - LEGO Star Wars 3 (Clean opening), OST Track 13, TPM Album track 17

how do we know which tor files have the unreleased music

Okay done converting the files. Started doing it one at time but Alexander told me how to do it in one batch. I'll be splitting the files up into two separate rars because size is 995mb.

I also plan to make another master list with these files just like the actual release version. I'll be doing the layout a lot better though.

I tried that program you suggested Pieter and it's a bit too complicated for me. It won't take me long to delete the words "DEADBEEF" from the files. BTW the grand total for the beta rip files is 1,245.
Apparently you're already done renaming, but if you ever want to do it again in another situation, the way to do it is:

1. Go to the folders tab, then go to the folder containing your files

2. Press F3 (Search and Replace in Prefix) and type in "DEADBEEF", confirm with OK

3. Select all files, then press Ctrl+F5 (Run)

That should do it.

Apparently you're already done renaming, but if you ever want to do it again in another situation, the way to do it is:

1. Go to the folders tab, then go to the folder containing your files

2. Press F3 (Search and Replace in Prefix) and type in "DEADBEEF", confirm with OK

3. Select all files, then press Ctrl+F5 (Run)

That should do it.

A little late on the reply but thanks though. I all ready got them renamed and currently uploading the converted files.

Thanks for all the great work on these game rips!!! Trent your edit is fabulous. I really hope that these additional files also include another unreleased gem :)

Sorry gents this is going to take longer than expected. Something happened during the conversion process and the files became unplayable after a certain point. I think I didn't copy something right for a code Alexander provided me to convert them as a full batch. So I'm currently in safe mode, extracting the files and then will convert them in regular windows mode.

I noticed a lot of the music is identical, just named different. I'm going to go through everything and just pick up on what we don't have from the official release rip and upload those. That way no one else will have to spend the tedious time on going through the files one by one.

Holy crap! It's actually a good thing I went back and redid the rip. I missed a ton of files from the last archive batch. The new grand total for files is 1,446!!!!!

Yeah it would be cool if you just upload the files we need ( unreleased Prequel music not in the previous files)

I have hopes for Yoda Farewell and missing part of Palpatine's Big Pitch

• 5M6 Insert - ?
  • 6M2 Sweetner - ?

how do we know which tor files have the unreleased music

Use Trent's post in the TOR music thread for that, this is just a breakdown of where to find each track.

I'm still weeding through the beta release but so far it's been the exact same music. The only piece I've really picked up on that seemed new was another section we needed for "Scenes and Dreams". It's the piece that goes from the unreleased section in the middle back to the album portion.

Still weeding through the files. Found another new piece, the film version ending for "Finding Kamino".

Okay finally finished going through the TOR Beta Files. Honestly I felt like it was a huge waste of time. It was the same thing as the retail version, other than the two files I found. Hell all the files were repeated 2-4 different times. So that one FF Shriner I think was just blowing smoke out of his own ass. Or he just got confused when he heard the same material repeated again and thinking it was something new.

When ever the next Star Wars game is released, I'll let someone else rip it. I'll gladly go through the files but I NEVER want to go through this huge headache again of ripping it.

Well, at least it produced those two new files. Better than nothing. Thanks for all your hard work in sorting this stuff out, Trent!

Still weeding through the files. Found another new piece, the film version ending for "Finding Kamino".

Okay finally finished going through the TOR Beta Files. Honestly I felt like it was a huge waste of time. It was the same thing as the retail version, other than the two files I found. Hell all the files were repeated 2-4 different times. So that one FF Shriner I think was just blowing smoke out of his own ass. Or he just got confused when he heard the same material repeated again and thinking it was something new.

When ever the next Star Wars game is released, I'll let someone else rip it. I'll gladly go through the files but I NEVER want to go through this huge headache again of ripping it.

No problem, i'll still be here ;)

I hope Force Unleashed III (or perhaps Battlefront III) will use the same Wwise .wav or .ogg files.

Well if all these files are real wav files that means instead of the low bitrate oggs we now have all the unreleased music of tor in lossless quality which can be converted into 320kbps mp3's and lead to the highest quality possible edits

I dunno. I don't really get a bitrate reading on these WAV files but from what was said before they should be the same as the OGGs ...right?

The only thing is Trent's file seem much larger than Alexanders (like 8MB for 45 seconds of music) , indicating he could have ripped in loss less vs the OGGSs we have?

I'd really want this to be clarified .Do we have to start over all our edits with Trent's rip?

Well if all these files are real wav files that means instead of the low bitrate oggs we now have all the unreleased music of tor in lossless quality which can be converted into 320kbps mp3's and lead to the highest quality possible edits

Look...

The wav files in the game are Wwise wav files. Not real lossless wav files, but lossy wave files.

You also have wwise .ogg files, that's what FU2 had. They both have the same quality (100-160 kbps)

But don't compare ogg with mp3. Ogg has a much better compression algorythm.

Trent's rip and mine both have the same quality.

ok, I understand now

sorry

Do you think they are some sort of VBR because they vary like this in the game?

maybe that's why they sound better than fixed bitrate 128k

They are vbr, yes.

Well, ogg always sounds better than mp3, so 128 kbps sounds like something between a 192 kbps mp3 and a 256 kbps one.

Are the video game takes of the Podrace the correct ones?

The video game take has an alternate trombone part, at 00:21 of 45410C24_FBF688DA3EFB4E05 there are three notes instead of 2.

So that one FF Shriner I think was just blowing smoke out of his own ass. Or he just got confused when he heard the same material repeated again and thinking it was something new.

"That rip SWFan posted is complete after all, the reason why there was more tracks in the beta is because they merged some of the files in the actual retail build. What used to be seperate ~30sec long cues are now full blown 3minutes long tracks."

im sure aotc won't even have 'conveyor belt' and even less that it will be in the proper order (before the arena)...

Probably not as it was a Target bonus, right?