Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

I hear that we may only be getting reissues of the original soundtracks with the 3D films :(

There's a complete thread devoted to that.

im sure aotc won't even have 'conveyor belt' and even less that it will be in the proper order (before the arena)...

Probably not as it was a Target bonus, right?

It was on the cd in my local library. (In a Godforsaken town in Belgium)

I asked this question over at FFS but didn't get an answer...but does anybody know if the film intro to the Elevator Scene (basically just the cue with the Grievous' entrance on the bridge of the ship which ends with a little drum roll) or the film version of Council Meeting (with the Emperor's theme tracked from Anakin Crawling) is available clean? Or at least how a film version can be constructed properly?

Finally finished revamping the Phantom Menace editing guide which incorporates files from The Old Republic.

The Phantom Menace Editing Guide

I am going to start working on my Attack Of The Clones edit tomorrow. At the same time I'm doing that I'll make an editing guide.

Thanks you two. It can be pretty exhausting, to say the least. I know most you here wouldn't have the time or patience to put together a comprehensive guide like this as I do.

For what remains clean for the cues...

Revisiting Padmé

-All though the RL and RR channels off the German DVD make it possible for this cue to be entirely clean, it doesn't quite beat the actual game music. So we're missing about 22 seconds.

Scenes and Dreams

-I actually need to update that edit to include the new material found from the TOR Beta rips. Otherwise, we're only missing 11 seconds from this cue.

Council Meeting

-We're missing only 24 seconds for this.

Palpatine's Big Pitch

-We're missing about 32 seconds for this.

Going To Utapau

-Again the main RL and RR channels could make it possible for the music to be 100% clean for a section we needed. Otherwise we're missing about 3 seconds.

I Am The Senate

-One section that was edited too soon made it a weird transition so a brief second from the rear channels was needed. Other than that we're missing 28-30 seconds.

Swimming, Droids, Yoda Farewell

-We're missing about 27 seconds of this.

Padmé's Visit

-Close to 2 minutes.

Heroes Collide

-Close to about 5 seconds.

The Boys Continue

-Basically a second for a better transition.

Yoda To Exile

-Just slightly over a minute is missing for this.

Plans For The Twins

-18 seconds from Leia's theme is missing but the German DVD makes that section clean.

Padmé's Funeral

-28 seconds of this is still missing clean.

A Home For The Twins

-The 31 seconds for the insert still hasn't shown up yet.

So 7 minutes missing from the complete score, of which about 3 are important

It's better than some Williams scores we did get expanded (like Last Crusade)

I asked this question over at FFS but didn't get an answer...but does anybody know if the film intro to the Elevator Scene (basically just the cue with the Grievous' entrance on the bridge of the ship which ends with a little drum roll) or the film version of Council Meeting (with the Emperor's theme tracked from Anakin Crawling) is available clean? Or at least how a film version can be constructed properly?

So that's you!

I'm StarWarsFan786 over there ;)

I consider all the cues important. I do agree though it's better than most.

I am actually happy that some cues from The Phantom Menace showed up in the TOR rips.

Bubble World

-Full clean ending (finally)

Tentacles

-Full clean ending, even better quality than what is in the TPM computer game.

Theed Palace Arrival

-Clean intro, better than the Galaxies file. Even the unused segment towards the latter half of the track finally had enough of it before it went back into the material used in the film to a proper mix/paste.

Arrival At Tatooine

-Full clean ending. We've never had a full clean ending of this before. What's presented on the OST it gets cut off and fades into "Flag Parade".

I'm A Pilot You Know

-Clean opening and in stereo! I was happy this was there, I hated using that mono piece from the Star Wars Mashup deal. Also was glad to see the clean ending in better quality than from the Insider's Guide.

Stealing Food

-All though it was easy to make a clean intro from the OST, but nothing beats the actual clean intro for this cue and same for a clean ending.

Introducing Threepio

-I never cared how this cue blended with "Stealing Food" on the Ultimate Edition but was glad a clean opening for this finally showed up in the TOR rips.

Roll Of The Die

-I hated having to do a weird reverb for the ending of this cue. I am finally glad a clean ending was presented. All though you still have to do a slight reverb but it's better than the OST material.

The Race Begins

-I thought the edit I did for the opening of this cue was not too bad. However, having the real full piece was even better!

The Senate

-The Battlefront 2 or TFU rips contained a semi-clean ending of this but not a full one like the TOR rips do. Glad this finally showed up too.

Anakin's Test

-The opening was easier to do than most but again nothing beats like a real true clean opening. Even then ending finally is in it's full form. The ending presented in the TPM computer game gets cut off slightly.

With Boss Nass

-Nice to finally have this with a clean opening and better quality than from the TPM computer game.

Forest Mist

-I'm glad that the TOR rips finally had this with a true clean ending. This was definitely meant to be separated from "The Armies Face Off"

The Armies Face Off

-Nice to finally have this with real clean opening.

The Big Army

-The Ultimate Edition provided a semi-clean opening for this. However, the TOR rips finally presented the full clean opening for this cue and I'm happy about that.

Up The Wire

-Glad that the TOR rips had nearly all of this in better quality than the TPM computer game.

Death Of Darth Maul

-I noticed the TOR rips for this sounded a bit differently in orchestration compared to what's on the Ultimate Edition. It also seemed like there may have been a couple of notes here and there that were edited out of the Ultimate Edition material for this cue.

I was hoping the film version for "Augie's Great Municipal Band" would have been in the TOR rips but no such luck. I don't know why the hell they made practically every cue for the Ultimate Edition the film version but THAT cue. I hope that in a future Star Wars game the full film version of this piece makes it in.

Yep, that is me! I scoured through all of my ROTS music and found the Elevator Scene cue clean. I need to watch the Council Meeting scene to see how to edit that cue. Should be easy...I think.

BTW, you guys are amazingly obsessive about the music and I love it!! I am the same way when it comes to SW music. Although I noticed most on here prefer the intended score while I actually prefer the film version of the score (an isolate track if you will). So the UE of TPM actually wasn't really a disappointment to me.

In fact.. if Varese did the prequels expansions we would not get anything as good and complete as you guys do....

Still tweaking my SFX free version

I had problems incorporating the unreleased sections of Council Meeting but I finally got something smooth sounding

I am actually happy that some cues from The Phantom Menace showed up in the TOR rips.

I am too. I believe that TOR presented a lot of material in even better quality than any game before it.

Bubble World

-Full clean ending (finally)

I'll be honest - I would have missed this one.

Tentacles

-Full clean ending, even better quality than what is in the TPM computer game.

Stuff the album for the ending, I think it's better to use this file solely for the clean ending myself.

Theed Palace Arrival

-Clean intro, better than the Galaxies file. Even the unused segment towards the latter half of the track finally had enough of it before it went back into the material used in the film to a proper mix/paste.

They presented quite a sizeable portion of this cue cleanly in TOR. As if they're actually telling us "Fill in the blanks".

Arrival At Tatooine

-Full clean ending. We've never had a full clean ending of this before. What's presented on the OST it gets cut off and fades into "Flag Parade".

You also forgot to mention the better-quality Jar-Jar theme in TOR as well, which replaces the Insider's Guide file.

I'm A Pilot You Know

-Clean opening and in stereo! I was happy this was there, I hated using that mono piece from the Star Wars Mashup deal. Also was glad to see the clean ending in better quality than from the Insider's Guide.

Indeed.

Introducing Threepio

-I never cared how this cue blended with "Stealing Food" on the Ultimate Edition but was glad a clean opening for this finally showed up in the TOR rips.

A bonus, definitely.

Roll Of The Die

-I hated having to do a weird reverb for the ending of this cue. I am finally glad a clean ending was presented. All though you still have to do a slight reverb but it's better than the OST material.

Don't worry about the reverb - it seems the album editors add convultion reverb to the tracks to add a greater depth anyway. Compare Duel of the Fates in its orchestral sections to the orchestra-only first minute and you'll see what I mean.

The Race Begins

-I thought the edit I did for the opening of this cue was not too bad. However, having the real full piece was even better!

Much better than using a combination of UE and AOTC DVD rip for sure.

The Senate

-The Battlefront 2 or TFU rips contained a semi-clean ending of this but not a full one like the TOR rips do. Glad this finally showed up too.

Anakin's Test

-The opening was easier to do than most but again nothing beats like a real true clean opening. Even then ending finally is in it's full form. The ending presented in the TPM computer game gets cut off slightly.

Obi-Wan, you mean :) Obi-Wan also had the missing section replaced by the insert but it was awkwardly edited so that we couldn't get it in right. TOR presents that bit perfectly so we can edit it in properly, and it also contains said insert as a standalone.

With Boss Nass

-Nice to finally have this with a clean opening and better quality than from the TPM computer game.

And without having to remove the ambience too!

Forest Mist

-I'm glad that the TOR rips finally had this with a true clean ending. This was definitely meant to be separated from "The Armies Face Off"

The Armies Face Off

-Nice to finally have this with real clean opening.

I don't know if you ever noticed, but in the BF2 version of Armies Face Off, you can hear the fading chord of Forest Mist at the very beginning. I think that they edited it together like it was meant to be, but rather than replace the file they simply edited Forest Mist back out.

The Big Army

-The Ultimate Edition provided a semi-clean opening for this. However, the TOR rips finally presented the full clean opening for this cue and I'm happy about that.

Shame there wasn't a clean ending for the Anakin Takes Off section though.

Up The Wire

-Glad that the TOR rips had nearly all of this in better quality than the TPM computer game.

Death Of Darth Maul

-I noticed the TOR rips for this sounded a bit differently in orchestration compared to what's on the Ultimate Edition. It also seemed like there may have been a couple of notes here and there that were edited out of the Ultimate Edition material for this cue.

It'ss been microedited in one place, but the rest of it shows how the cue is meant to be. Comparing it to the UE version, you can hear Lucas sped bits of it up, or dialled things out.

I was hoping the film version for "Augie's Great Municipal Band" would have been in the TOR rips but no such luck. I don't know why the hell they made practically every cue for the Ultimate Edition the film version but THAT cue. I hope that in a future Star Wars game the full film version of this piece makes it in.

If we had it, I'd make a combination of album and film material - each version has choral the other one doesn't have. I'd have also liked a proper clean ending for it.

We're still missing the rest of End Titles Part 2 without the chorus (the Duel of the Fates part). I really hoped that'd appear in the game, especially since the theme was meant to be symbolising the Sith anyways, and Revenge of Sith made it in.

What would go nice is a complete cue list. Maybe whoever's editing BFIII/TFU3 could hide a plain-text cue list for TPM in the game's files.

Additional question: The "Finding Kamino" insert... is the album version or the film version the one with that insert?

Obi-Wan, you mean :) Obi-Wan also had the missing section replaced by the insert but it was awkwardly edited so that we couldn't get it in right. TOR presents that bit perfectly so we can edit it in properly, and it also contains said insert as a standalone.

Ah yes, it was the Obi-Wan game, you're right.

I don't know if you ever noticed, but in the BF2 version of Armies Face Off, you can hear the fading chord of Forest Mist at the very beginning. I think that they edited it together like it was meant to be, but rather than replace the file they simply edited Forest Mist back out.

I think they just joined them in the game. When lining the two pieces up in the film "The Armies Face Off" would just slightly before that one dude on the bridge of the Federation battleship says, "Activate The Droids". So "The Armies Face Off" cue would start well after that.

In fact I am pretty sure the OST has the "Drums Insert" in the right place. I lined it up once and I think it would start right when it shows the battle droids being lowered from out of the transport tanks, before "The Armies Face Off" bit.

I know I had come acrossed one in one of the game files but I can't for the life of me remember which game it is. I will have to go through them again.

Death Of Darth Maul

It'ss been microedited in one place, but the rest of it shows how the cue is meant to be. Comparing it to the UE version, you can hear Lucas sped bits of it up, or dialled things out.

Ah, makes sense. I actually do like the TOR version of this cue so I'll most likely change it.

Additional question: The "Finding Kamino" insert... is the album version or the film version the one with that insert?

I think it's the film version insert but not entirely sure. Joe (Data) or Jason would be better to answer this question.

Edit: BTW the ending for "Tentacles" you mentioned ggtuck, the OST portion is not the best to use. The reason being is because it goes into that one insert, or alternate opening (as you suggested).

I think they just joined them in the game. When lining the two pieces up in the film "The Armies Face Off" would just slightly before that one dude on the bridge of the Federation battleship says, "Activate The Droids". So "The Armies Face Off" cue would start well after that.

In fact I am pretty sure the OST has the "Drums Insert" in the right place. I lined it up once and I think it would start right when it shows the battle droids being lowered from out of the transport tanks, before "The Armies Face Off" bit.

Pretty much how the film has it, then, just with the timpani roll first (and of course, minus the loop). That's another Battle of Naboo edit I just don't get.

I know I had come acrossed one in one of the game files but I can't for the life of me remember which game it is. I will have to go through them again.

Galactic Battlegrounds has this file (Victory II)

Death Of Darth Maul

Ah, makes sense. I actually do like the TOR version of this cue so I'll most likely change it.

The TOR version microedits out about a second from just before 0:16. It's mainly just the harps before thw winds kick in. TFU has this missing bit in "044 - PC_mxDEA_jwVaderBattle01_lp".

I think it's the film version insert but not entirely sure. Joe (Data) or Jason would be better to answer this question.

Thanks. For the time being, I'll treat the album version as the correct version and the film version as including the insert until either Jason or Joe clears it up.

Great work on the editing guide for ROTS, by the way. The DVD rip for Palpatine's Big Pitch (a cue I wasn't fond of because it was solely DVD rip) wasn't clear for me. I can now see how it's a great piece of music.

My edit for ROTS includes a fake ending for A Home for the Twins, but no clean opening for the end credits (the latter doesn't matter so much). I'm told the film version of A Home for the Twins contains an insert and that the album version is as-written.

The TOR version microedits out about a second from just before 0:16. It's mainly just the harps before thw winds kick in. TFU has this missing bit in "044 - PC_mxDEA_jwVaderBattle01_lp".

For this regarding the "Death Of Maul", alright thanks for the tip I'll keep that in mind.

I love your TPM editing guide! I notice you ditched a lot of VG takes you used in its last iteration, and for the most part I agree. I'd like to point out that we have a better quality ending for Drums Insert in Republic Commando file musGEN_jwbattle05b_ep (which is standard 44100Hz instead of the TPMG's 22050Hz, plus no hiss).

The Chosen One was apparently two cues, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn if they just recorded them as one. In any case, if it WAS recorded as two, we don't have clean ending for the first part or a clean opening of the second part, wherever they actually are.

Anakin is Free has a pretty much clean ending on the UE anyway, at least in comparison to other cues.

4DDCB658_94FEF98A63AE0685 contains the full clean opening for Arrival at Tatooine, including the bit of Jar-Jar's theme the UE cuts out.

I ripped BF2 myself some time ago using MFAudio (it outputs everything into one long track you have to split manually) so I've missed nothing out of it. The rip might still be up, but I'd have to dig to find it.

Percussion/percussionless versions still stump me - there are three cues with percussive alternates, one cue (Race Begins) which we can verify is the exact same take in all three places it's appeared in, but the percussion is mixed differently in each. I wondered if John Williams did with TPM what he did with ROTS and recorded the percussion separately, or whether he just recorded percusionless takes and combined the two as he saw fit.

Thanks glad you like my updated editing guide for TPM. Yes I did ditch a lot of the video game pieces. I thought it was best to stick to the U.E. / OST material as much as possible.

I think it's safe to assume that for all three Prequel scores they recorded the percussion separately.

Doesn't surprise me - Escape From Naboo sounds pretty much the same for the most part in the brass/strings with or without percussion, there's no variation.

Only for most of the tracks.

I'd consider that to be not really needed.

I don't want to hear Butthurt's butchering work...

I know I am in the minority, but when I put my scores together I usually use the film versions as my main cues and then the original intended cues as bonus ALTERNATES. Call me crazy I know.

I know I am in the minority, but when I put my scores together I usually use the film versions as my main cues and then the original intended cues as bonus ALTERNATES. Call me crazy I know.

The only one I've included film edits in is my AOTC set, and then only the most memorable ones. No On The Conveyor Belt Film version (that's way too complicated to edit anyways)

Yep. :) The album version is the original; the film version (the one also heard in the DVD menus) is the insert.

Is there a file with the opening of Birth of the Twins (Emperor's Theme) that doesn;t have the crackling distortion

Not to the best of my knowledge. TFU is the only one that has it, and it's also the same state when heard in-game.

Yep. :) The album version is the original; the film version (the one also heard in the DVD menus) is the insert.

Good to know. Is the film version of the insert edited in any way, or does it actually appear as it was written?

I've been thinking about what you said ggtuck, regarding sqduelmaulstart from the TPM computer game and how you thought it was an insert. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe it was an insert for "The Big Army", when Maul first appears after those big doors open.

Even better to know, with Lucas' track record for screwing with even the smallest part of cues.

Heh, listening to the Tintin Promo, counting TLW, Spielberg is just one score shy of beating lucas as Williams' worst rapist.... in fact.. ROTS was not that heavily edited... one could say they are even :P

One thing i noticed in ROTS. 'Be careful of your friend' shares some thematic material with the scene where Yoda is meditating on Polis massa. Is it any kind of theme?

Even better to know, with Lucas' track record for screwing with even the smallest part of cues.

Heh, listening to the Tintin Promo, counting TLW, Spielberg is just one score shy of beating lucas as Williams' worst rapist.... in fact.. ROTS was not that heavily edited... one could say they are even :P

It happens to every score, especially nowadays that film composers don't have anymore the luxury of writing to locked cuts. Movies are trimmed and modified up until the last minute available, hence the recorded music has to be conformed to the latest cut. Add to that the fact that digital technology makes possibile to tinker with the tracks a lot more than in the past.

Heh, listening to the Tintin Promo, counting TLW, Spielberg is just one score shy of beating lucas as Williams' worst rapist.... in fact.. ROTS was not that heavily edited... one could say they are even

RotS doens't have many edits in the film. Mostly in the tracked music and I am the Senate

I'm slowly but surely continuing to work on the AOTC editing guide. I'm currently stuck on "The Meeting With Fett". There's a piece towards the end of the cue that I have clean from my previous edit (with DVD rips) and I can't for the life of me remember where I found it. It's an important piece too...

It's probably from TFU or TFU2, isn't it? Did we have any of it before that besides the part from the OST?

It's possible it is TFU 1 or TFU 2. I'm currently going through the Galaxies files to make sure it isn't in any of them. I've gone through the PC version of TFU 1 and didn't find it. I'll go through the PS2 version of that game after I'm done with the Galaxies files.

I think I know how I did it. I used a small portion from "The Library Scene", then used the drum roll from the AOTC DVD rips for that part (as it was clean), then tracked in music from "Obi-Wan Eavesdropping".